Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd October 2009, 13:03   #1
BHPian

Looking for Land Rover Series 1, 2 or 3

Hi All,

My name is Abhishek & I am based out of Bangalore. I have been interacting with many of you on Team BHP for restoration of my CJ3B in the past month. I am starting this new thread, as I needed some help / guidence on my next project- a Land Rover Classic.

Last week, I was in Mayapuri in Delhi. While scouting through Mayapuri to look for my CJ3B parts, I came across a Series 3 Land Rover (I assumed it was Series 3, due to placement of headlight). Have attached a photograph of a Series 3, that I downloaded from the net.

The one that I saw actually only had the body & chassis (a SWB). The engine & gear box were missing. Looking at the bottom of the jeep, I could see most of the parts intact, though I couldn't figure out anything more. The body condition looked fair too. Looking at the RC book, I figured it was a Red Cross vehicle, originally imported in 1962 (I was confused, as I thought Series 3 came into being later than that), and had tax exemption in West Bengal, where it was registered.

The owner quoted 1.5 lacs originally, eventually settling at 1.2 lacs post negotiations. Considering I hadn't done any research on Land Rovers in the past, I decided to speak to a few folks before I took the plunge. I eventually was guided to a gentleman in BLR who owns a few classic Land Rovers. He shared the specifications of Series 1, 2 & 3, as well as mentioned the cost, which he said shouldn't be more than 50-60K, without the engine. Moreover, he also shared some details on paperwork- how it may become difficult to register the vehicle in Karnataka, without the original import papers.

So, ultimately I let that vehicle go. The owner found a buyer the next day & sold it off. He didn't mention how much it fetched finally.

What I now need to learn is how to find myself a series 2 or 3 Land Rover. I have fallen absolutely in love with the vehicle & am convinced that i want to take this on as a restoration project post completing my Willys CJ3B. And I need help from all of you to learn more about:
1) Where can I find a vehicle- with or without the original engine to buy
2) How much is a good price (with or without an engine)
3) How will price vary for SWB & LWB (Short & Long Wheel Base)
4) Where & if I can find spares for it in India (I understand there are dozens of them plying around, so I am sure we can do something on getting them restored)
5) What precautions I need to take on the paperwork bit? What to look for & how can I bridge the gap, if there is one
6) Where can I find the original 2286cc petrol engines in India (I know it can get imported- but that will be expensive, I suppose)

Any other information that you can share with me on this will be highly appreciated. As always, thanks for coming to my rescue

Take care & hoping to hear from many of you!

Abhishek
Attached Thumbnails
Looking for Land Rover Series 1, 2 or 3-series3_landrover.jpg  

Old 6th October 2009, 00:42   #2
BHPian

Hello Folks... any thoughts around this? I see dozens of people who have dealt with Land Rovers in the past... I will really appreciate some tips on where to find one!

AB
Old 6th October 2009, 23:16   #3
Senior - BHPian

fully working example can be had for under 1.5 lac in best of conditions. but some technicalities are there, which i Pmed you about.

i can only help when i visit my place myself. have you asked NM in Bengaluru.
Old 7th October 2009, 08:36   #4
BHPian

Hi Kenden,

I have found a Series 3 LWB, minus the engine & gear box at Delhi for sale. The owner is quoting a higher price- 1.15 lacs. Have attached the photo... have a look.

Is it possible to find a suitable engine for it? Which one can be used? Also, how much could an engine / gearbox cost? I am assuming it will need some other work too... so will have to get that understood before I step into this project.

Let me know what you think...

Abhishek

Sorry... didn't attach the photo of the Series 3 that I found... please have a look.

Abhishek
Attached Thumbnails
Looking for Land Rover Series 1, 2 or 3-untitled1-copy1.jpg  

Last edited by khan_sultan : 7th October 2009 at 09:13. Reason: One logical post
Old 7th October 2009, 15:28   #5
Senior - BHPian

the price is very high considering the fact it has no engine and GB. body will always be fine as its made of aluminum and chassis is very strong.

PM kahai he may negotiate on your behalf. he lives in delhi. BTW In delhi if southy people goes you will always face high pricing.
Old 8th October 2009, 10:24   #6
BHPian

Thanks Kenden.

I have let this one go. When I went back yesterday to renegotiate, the owner increased the price to 1.35 lacs, saying the market demand had gone up. When I tried negotiating, he offered to put in a Jonga engine & gear box & sell me the vehicle for 1.6 lacs. That is not what I had in mind, as I wanted an original one, as much as possible.

So, I will let that fellow make a mockery out of that Landy, which is a shame. Feel bad that I am not able to rescue this one, it seemed like a beautiful vehicle.

Will wait for your inputs on what I can find at your hometown. Do let me know whenever you find any.

If I come across any in the interim, I will let you know too.

And by the way, I am originally from Delhi- spent 25 years there before migrating to BLR 7 years back. By roots, I am a Bengali so more or less I am exposed to multiple cultures across the country. won't let someone take me for a ride that easily on price.

Take care,
AB

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
the price is very high considering the fact it has no engine and GB. body will always be fine as its made of aluminum and chassis is very strong.

PM kahai he may negotiate on your behalf. he lives in delhi. BTW In delhi if southy people goes you will always face high pricing.
Old 25th October 2009, 11:15   #7
BHPian

Hey Guys,

Finally managed to zero in on a SWB Land Rover... attached the picture here for everyone's reference.

It has the original Petrol Engine, LR Gearbox complete with overdrive et all. Have been researching from the past 2 months- this seems as close to the original as one can possibly get. Moreover, have got an excellent deal for it too- so I am pleased with the investment.

From the look of it, it seems like a Series II... will need help to figure out which model it really is.

I am confused, as it seems to have flat door hinges- like Series 1. The windscreens also seem larger than the ones in Series II. But it isn't a Series 1, if one looks at the rest of the attributes like seating etc.

Have a look & see if one can figure out which series it really is.

Will post more pictures, as I get the vehicle brought over from its current location. Currently sorting out the transport issues.

This is going to be one interesting restoration project!

AB

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek_d_zulu View Post
Thanks Kenden.

I have let this one go. When I went back yesterday to renegotiate, the owner increased the price to 1.35 lacs, saying the market demand had gone up. When I tried negotiating, he offered to put in a Jonga engine & gear box & sell me the vehicle for 1.6 lacs. That is not what I had in mind, as I wanted an original one, as much as possible.

So, I will let that fellow make a mockery out of that Landy, which is a shame. Feel bad that I am not able to rescue this one, it seemed like a beautiful vehicle.

Will wait for your inputs on what I can find at your hometown. Do let me know whenever you find any.

If I come across any in the interim, I will let you know too.

And by the way, I am originally from Delhi- spent 25 years there before migrating to BLR 7 years back. By roots, I am a Bengali so more or less I am exposed to multiple cultures across the country. won't let someone take me for a ride that easily on price.

Take care,
AB
Attached Thumbnails
Looking for Land Rover Series 1, 2 or 3-land-rover-pic1.jpg  

Old 25th October 2009, 12:43   #8
Senior - BHPian

Hi Abhishek,

Congratulations on your purchase. Just for info, is this the same car that was on sale at Panagarh? How much did you pay for it?
Old 25th October 2009, 23:09   #9
Senior - BHPian

Its a beautiful Series I. The indicators are all wrong. and the two added are afterthought.

Nothing happens to the tub, as its aluminum. and chassis is also build to last. and it seems good on this one.

any more images of the bay and inside. Its probably a 54 model.
Old 26th October 2009, 00:05   #10
BHPian

Here we go... have attached a few more pics. Will get more pictures posted when I get the vehicle transported.

Its a '55 registered vehicle- don't know the year of import though.

I am still collecting details of Series 1... initially was searching for a Series II or III, so I am a bit unfamiliar with Series I.

Secondly, due to the additional things that have been put in, the identification became a vee bit confusing.

Anyways, will look forward to hearing from you all more on this.

Signing off for now...

AB

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
Its a beautiful Series I. The indicators are all wrong. and the two added are afterthought.

Nothing happens to the tub, as its aluminum. and chassis is also build to last. and it seems good on this one.

any more images of the bay and inside. Its probably a 54 model.
Attached Thumbnails
Looking for Land Rover Series 1, 2 or 3-036.jpg  

Looking for Land Rover Series 1, 2 or 3-037.jpg  

Looking for Land Rover Series 1, 2 or 3-039.jpg  

Attached Images

Old 26th October 2009, 10:24   #11
BANNED

Did you get this from Belgaum? And if it is did it have a Goa registration?

Last edited by Spitfire : 26th October 2009 at 10:25.
Old 26th October 2009, 12:13   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek_d_zulu View Post
Anyways, will look forward to hearing from you all more on this.
PM'ed you.

Cheers,
Ajit
Old 26th October 2009, 15:57   #13
Senior - BHPian

The tailgate is fabricated. steering and instrument seems original. Hope the cluster is in working order.

I guess its a 2 liter engine. This engine is very easy to rebuild. Make sure the cooling system works smoothly, as this engine (if what i think it is) block has no space between cyls for water to circulate.

Chaisis seems fine.

PS: you know the shift system on this, its just like TATA lpt1613. Reverse, First and third is upfront.
Old 8th November 2009, 08:51   #14
BHPian

Dear Abhi
finally picked up that series 2 1969 from chandigarh that some on else saw and was turned away by criticism that a retro fitted 1968 LR diesel would not be acceptable. Its in pretty good nick with lot of indianised mods but completely whole, unpainted panels show it to be blue grey originally. front drive shaft is removed to improve mileage but available !! two gear shifts from front drive and transfer ratios are missing, hand brake disconnected and bonnet stay rod missing. instruments are dead but all there with all lights even panel lights working !! single wiper motor working but no wipers. Need the haynes manual to start re build. although mechanics hear are pretty confident of doing it, say its pretty close leyland gaadis and can design and rebuild anything even gears. How does one post pics on this site ??
regards
polly
Old 8th November 2009, 14:28   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polly Singh View Post
How does one post pics on this site ??
regards
polly
Hi Polly singh,
Please refer to the post Uploading photographs directly to Team-BHP
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/announ...-team-bhp.html