Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th October 2009, 11:08   #61
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
The e-brochure describes the H mode as "more traction" and L and "maximum traction.
May be claws come out (like in cat's paw) of the tyres in L mode, or the HT tyres get retracted (like in aircraft) and MT tyres come out instead in L mode. How else can you increase traction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuuj View Post
Even the Sales person who i am dealing with was urging me to drive the car in HL mode on dry tarmac..i told him it would damage the drivetrain. He had no idea about the 4x4 system or if the car had centre or rear or both locking differentials!
Can you imagine the damage TD vehicles would go through? Obviously the sales guys would tell every TD customer to checkout the locking mechanism on the fly. Only a 4x4 aware customer would be horrified and refuse the suggestion. And if they give TD with customer vehicle...

Quote:
They have confirmed that the Fortuner being sold in India does NOT have Rear Differential Locks and only Center Differential Locks.
Thanks for confirming, but they too would have checked the brochure to answer your question.
Old 24th October 2009, 12:05   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
...Thanks for confirming, but they too would have checked the brochure to answer your question.
I had asked the lady who seemed to be quite flummoxxed with my question to get back to me after she had confirmed from some senior technical person and not some manual of fixed reply's that she had trained on.

She promised to get back to me in a while and after about two hours of waiting i got a callback confirming that the Fortuner in India has LSD and only center locking diff and no rear locking diff..

When i asked if she could tell me why we in India are not being provided the specs as the Fortuners being sold in South Africa and the Mid East she just laughed nervously.
Old 24th October 2009, 12:19   #63
DKG
Senior - BHPian

I too had to "educate" the sales guy on the damage done in locking the centre diff on tarmac ! I'm sure the test drive Fortuners come back after each spin with one very hot centre diff
Old 24th October 2009, 14:20   #64
BHPian

This is a video by the auto journalist i mentioned in my earlier post..Enjoy!

He is a well known and respected 4x4 journo of South Africa.

Old 2nd November 2009, 16:09   #65
BHPian

This is a pic of a heavily modified Fortuner! looks a bit wacky but im sure the modifications have caused its offroad capabilities to be greatly enhanced.
Attached Thumbnails
Took a Fortuner offroading through the outback-fortuner-mod.jpg  

Old 20th May 2010, 11:22   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This is a pic of a heavily modified Fortuner! looks a bit wacky but im sure the modifications have caused its offroad capabilities to be greatly enhanced.
ooh man, to get inside this beast one needs to do quite a workout.

Any more pics of this one ?

I am not sure of how good speeds this can be driven, given the fact that this has good height
Old 26th May 2010, 09:46   #67
BHPian

Driven by my wife. After initial trials we did not even put 4wd and it just passed through.

This is again in AWD.

Pajero had to pull this MIGHTY stuck vehicle :(
Old 26th May 2010, 10:01   #68
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhandle View Post
Oh Woah.. I saw this AD yesterday and remembered the above video.

Check the AD:

Sorry for the OT.
Old 25th October 2010, 20:28   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
Rajasthan is not just sand and dunes but has some serious rocky country too. Mostly used for mining of minerals such terrain presents problems of its own.
Saw this fortuner with some off roading upgrades including a winch. Any updates on where all it has been going with those upgrades?

-- no1lives4ever
Old 26th October 2010, 02:32   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1lives4ever View Post
Saw this fortuner with some off roading upgrades including a winch. Any updates on where all it has been going with those upgrades?

-- no1lives4ever
This is the offical route recce vehicle of the 2011 desert storm. If you saw it in Delhi on Sunday must be gfoing for the 4guna4 event.
Old 26th October 2010, 05:46   #71
Distinguished - BHPian

Correct wbd8779. The 2222 is owned by JD who was also the COC of the 4 Guna 4 event. Look under 4x4 Excursions forum for detailed report about the event. And there was a Fortuner participating in the soft event as well. Here watch it taking the articulation test:

Old 26th October 2010, 11:10   #72
BHPian

Quote:

Oooooh this fortuner looks menacing . Is this pic from India or abroad .
Old 26th October 2010, 11:39   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Correct wbd8779. The 2222 is owned by JD who was also the COC of the 4 Guna 4 event. Look under 4x4 Excursions forum for detailed report about the event. And there was a Fortuner participating in the soft event as well. Here watch it taking the articulation test:

YouTube - Toyota Fortuner articulation challenge
Oh , Thank you Sudev Sir , i have met you and JD sir a few times , my back problem has been acting up after the Raid so could not attend the 4guna4. Nice videos.

PS - Is the Rally of North Happening on schedule.

Regards
Old 26th October 2010, 13:13   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbd8779 View Post
This is the offical route recce vehicle of the 2011 desert storm. If you saw it in Delhi on Sunday must be gfoing for the 4guna4 event.
I keep on seeing it in Noida. Saw it get the winch sometime back and I really liked the way the winch was integrated with the front bumper + bull guard.

Quote:

YouTube - Toyota Fortuner articulation challenge
I was more interested in knowing the kind of mods that went into 2222 how the fortuner performs with those mods.

Went thru the 4 Guna 4 event report. It seems the fortuner that took part in the event was a different one in stock trim.

The articulation test does show some of the fortuner's weeknesses while offroading. But overall it seems that the fortuner was able to do everything that all the big boys did during this event.

-- no1lives4ever

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks