Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th October 2009, 20:55   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Rajasthan is not just sand and dunes but has some serious rocky country too. Mostly used for mining of minerals such terrain presents problems of its own.
Old 14th October 2009, 21:01   #32
Senior - BHPian

Nice pictures, thanks for sharing ! You seem sold on the Fortuner Sudev, but then you judge SUV's by putting them thru the grind - which very few actually do.

Nice to see that it can do what it is meant to do !!

Cheers
Old 14th October 2009, 21:08   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

@ Ricky_63: I till very much own and love my GV.

That said last two week ends we did extensive drive and putting Fortuner through paces. I must say it is a good beast to own.
Old 14th October 2009, 21:18   #34
Senior - BHPian

Show more:-)

Good review sudev. But i still believe what you have tested (atleast by photographs) is a softroader, which fortuner is not! Please show us some real stuff like this pic below. (Thats harg's safari) Fortuner is comparable in size. Iam sure you have good terrain to support you on this.
Please give us reviews on
articulation
water fording depth
ground clearance (real world)
performance on rocks, bushes and some serious mud

This is when it will get real. Pajero has been through all that and so did the safari. Now its fortuners turn. Please show us some real off roading pics if fortuner is a offroader, if a soft roader then please continue
Attached Thumbnails
Took a Fortuner offroading through the outback-mm2055020off20terrain2017528229.jpg  

Last edited by vinod_nookala : 14th October 2009 at 21:22.
Old 14th October 2009, 22:16   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

One how I wish it was my car to try do some thing as crazy as this VN. Two unlike OTR follow the trail we were more on find a trail mission and no dedicated photo shooter means limitation on action shot, although none near to what you are showing.
Old 14th October 2009, 22:30   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
One how I wish it was my car to try do some thing as crazy as this VN. Two unlike OTR follow the trail we were more on find a trail mission and no dedicated photo shooter means limitation on action shot, although none near to what you are showing.
Now i understand your limitations. please continue your trail pics.
Old 15th October 2009, 09:50   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post
Good review sudev. But i still believe what you have tested (atleast by photographs) is a softroader, which fortuner is not! Please show us some real stuff like this pic below. (Thats harg's safari) Fortuner is comparable in size. Iam sure you have good terrain to support you on this.
Please give us reviews on
articulation
water fording depth
ground clearance (real world)
performance on rocks, bushes and some serious mud

This is when it will get real. Pajero has been through all that and so did the safari. Now its fortuners turn. Please show us some real off roading pics if fortuner is a offroader, if a soft roader then please continue

OMG, the Safari can do that ??? Walk on 3 legs . I really cannot figure out what happened next after this shot that is. This seems like a dangerous move...could topple - or maybe it is the angle of the picture. Great shot nonetheless.

Cheers
Old 15th October 2009, 10:20   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

@Ricky: the Safari is going over a rocky ledge. The front left and rear right are the pivot points on the ground. I am sure right before this it would have been front right up in the air and when the centre of gravity moved forward the front right came down and rear left lifted up. Perhaps VK can elucidate more.
Bold and excellent manoeuvre.
Old 20th October 2009, 11:05   #39
BHPian

Guys this is what the Fortuner can do

Old 21st October 2009, 10:03   #40
Senior - BHPian

That Fortuner video is A M A Z I N G to put it mildly !!!! It should carry a disclaimer : do not try this at home or something

Cheers
Old 21st October 2009, 10:15   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

While the vid is looks scary but that is exactly what Safari was doing although in wide open trail and not controlled circumstances.
Old 21st October 2009, 10:29   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

The video is nice, but any 4 wheel drive vehicle could have done that. What is more important is how it deals with the mud, sand, slush, etc you encounter in the open world.
Old 21st October 2009, 11:45   #43
Senior - BHPian

The fortuner has always been a very capable off roader. It is not a Landcruiser, it was never designed to be, hence not as tough all around, but by design it is your family car / office to home transporter with potential of a little weekend offroad adventure.

Toyota used to give me a few Fortuners regularly for my rally support teams and Marshal vehcles for my off road events in UAE.

These were usually 4000 cc V6 engine units.

It is good to drive offroad and can tackle any sand dune, but the major drawbacks are.

Limited angle of approach. The front bumper is huge and plastic. Angle of departure is also poor, the spare wheel is mounted under the chassis. Resultant breakover angle limited.

A number of my friends and marshals usually had generous amounts of masking tape on their bumpers after a days drive.

The vehicle is a full time 4 WD with a central diff lock and LSD in the rear axle.

What is launched in India is the 3000 cc Turbo Diesel, but a 4 Cyl in line 2.7 litre petrol version is also available in many markets and of course the 4000 cc V6 with the legendary Toyota 1GRFE engine which today is fitted on Landcruiser GXR, Prado VX, FJ Cruiser, Fortuner and Hi Lux Twin cab.

The Fortuner is born out of an Integrated assembly program where the Fortuner shares its chassis and many drive train systems with the Innova and Hi Lux 2WD and 4WD pick up trucks.

As far as dispatch reliability is concerned it is the best Indian SUV on road today, far ahead of the Pajero ( it is a 3 decades old design ) the Shogun or Montero, or Ford Endevour, The Scorpio or Bolero are not Tata Safari are nowhere in this league at all.

Shahid
NIOC

Last edited by desertfox : 21st October 2009 at 11:45. Reason: Missed a few things
desertfox is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2009, 18:27   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
While the vid is looks scary but that is exactly what Safari was doing although in wide open trail and not controlled circumstances.
Would not go as far as to say these are "controlled " circumstances buddy!!

I'm sure the Fortuner is equally capable of the same out in the open too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertfox View Post
As far as dispatch reliability is concerned it is the best Indian SUV on road today, far ahead of the Pajero ( it is a 3 decades old design ) the Shogun or Montero, or Ford Endevour, The Scorpio or Bolero are not Tata Safari are nowhere in this league at all.

Shahid
NIOC
I agree completely..though the Pajero is very capable offroad too..
Old 22nd October 2009, 16:13   #45
Senior - BHPian

Sudev Ji,
What route did you take ?
The Dunes look good to be tackled in a Gypsy.
Will bring back memories of my own UAE desert days.
Plan to go there one of these coming weekends.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks