Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th October 2009, 18:57   #16
Senior - BHPian

Yogesh
Why not to have a look at a Major 4x4!!! MDI Turbo Terrific engine, good off-road capability, 94 or 95" wheelbase, i think, and brand new available right off the shelf!!!

And I think that it can be registered in jaipur too!!! Let your Toyota be for family and Major 4x4 along with AC should be a good vehicle!!!
Old 30th October 2009, 09:35   #17
BHPian

Hi Yogesh

So the jeep is going after all. Well, you have to do what you have to do.

Have you checked the specs of the Scorpio 4x4? Last I read somewhere on this forum that the Scorpio 4x4 is available with only the 2.6 engine and not the new 2.2 Mhawk engine.

I think Vinod has a good point. You can go for the bolero 4x4 and do a SPOA with 31" tyres. Deadly offroad vehicle and also a highway cruiser.

Cheers
Ankit
Old 30th October 2009, 10:07   #18
Senior - BHPian

Scorpio's MHawk's are now available with 4x4 option. Infact there are a couple of them being serviced at M&M 1st Choice (Sudhir's) workshop in North Delhi!!!

Further the Scorpio that came 1st in the Raid-de-Himalaya this year in the adventure category was a 4x4 Mhawk!!!

But price wise I think they should be close to 12L on road as I have only seen the MHawk in the VLX, the top end model!!!
Old 30th October 2009, 16:31   #19
Senior - BHPian

Vinod, I don't know why but I feel I won't miss it.. It is more frustrating to have a nice jeep and not be able to go offroad.. then to have none and not go.. And once I buy second vehicle I will join more NIOC (true)offroads. In Jaipur we are anyhow doing soft roads..

I have two vehicles in my mind.

First choice is a second hand Scorpio 4x4 and second is Tucson (Second hand). These two I think if a bit modified will have excellent offroad capabilities and there is no doubt about their cruising and comfort capabilities. Scorpio being Indian and Mahindra will be much cheaper than Tucson, therefore I have finalised on it. Safari is out due to long wheel base.

Mojor is out for the same reason as my jeep, Bolero- I actually don't know how it is. So will have a look at it. Thanks guys.

PS: Another suggestion has come up at NIOC to keep my jeep in Gurgaon. That could also be a great solution. Thinking on it.
Old 30th October 2009, 16:42   #20
BHPian

I doubt the Tucson has a two speed Transfer case.
The ground clearnance too is low for it to be formidable off-road.
Good engine and grunt though !

Jeep in Gurgaon is a no brainer. Leave it at a fellow jeepers place, and drive your family down in the Altis. This is way you get to off-road more,..and also keep you 12 lacs.
Old 30th October 2009, 17:12   #21
Senior - BHPian

Ankit, SPOA Bolero with 31"tyres will look very funny.. no..

Harjeev, I will not go for a new Scorpio. Second hand could be found in Jaipur as told by my diesel mechanic.

Naveen, don't know why I never thought about it. May be buy a studio appartment in gurgaon from the saved 12L..?? Is there any available at this price?

One more question how to take care of after OTR service and maintenance there?

Last edited by Ym-enjn : 30th October 2009 at 17:13.
Old 30th October 2009, 17:31   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ym-enjn View Post
Harjeev, I will not go for a new Scorpio. Second hand could be found in Jaipur as told by my diesel mechanic.
Are 4wd scorpios a plenty in jaipur?
Old 31st October 2009, 00:44   #23
BHPian

There are Amit, and Pushkin's diesel mechanics in Gurgaon who could go over your jeep once a month or as needed.

We jeepers tend to be passionate people,..sometimes using more heart than head. Seriously I am one of them.

I think for part time off-roading action your monster CL-340 is mighty apt. Hence,..if you are looking to spend top dollar do so where it counts (like that Bachelor pad you are thinking off
Old 31st October 2009, 12:42   #24
Senior - BHPian

Guys sold my jeep to fellow NIOC offroader Pushkin. I am very glad the jeep is going to a true jeep lover and will remain in the perfect group.

@ Vinod- not plenty, but there is a village route near Jaipur were mostly 4x4 vehicles are used and there are chances of finding them there. Plus I know a German company which finds water in Rajasthan, they recently offered an excellent 4x4 Safari 2008 top model for sale at 8 lakhs. So I am sure I will be able to find one somewhere.
Old 31st October 2009, 14:29   #25
Senior - BHPian

GO for a new one

Quote:
Guys sold my jeep to fellow NIOC offroader Pushkin. I am very glad the jeep is going to a true jeep lover and will remain in the perfect group.

@ Vinod- not plenty, but there is a village route near Jaipur were mostly 4x4 vehicles are used and there are chances of finding them there. Plus I know a German company which finds water in Rajasthan, they recently offered an excellent 4x4 Safari 2008 top model for sale at 8 lakhs. So I am sure I will be able to find one somewhere.

Yogesh,
Please go for a new one if you are ready to spend 8 lakhs on a secondhand vehicle. New vehicle is a new vehicle, believe me!!

For 8 -9 lakhs your options are-

1. Scorpio Getaway 4x4
2. Bolero Camper 4wd
3. Trax Gurkha
4. Bolero 4wd

All i have mentioned are hard tops and are good for long distance cruising plus all are decent off roaders except getaway due to its long wheel base. But slight modifications like rear overhang chop job will help a great deal. Engine is super powerful as you may know.

Camper is cheap and rides well on long drives but wheelbase and rear overhang is a problem. But cheap to repair. Trax gurkha is the most capable vehicle here, but iam not sure after reading ownership reviews. Bolero 4wd comes with all creature comforts but is not powerful.

If you love mahindra go for Getaway. If not Gurkha is a best option which does well on road and is good offroad too.

p.s- Lucky you pushkin!!
Old 1st November 2009, 23:28   #26
Senior - BHPian

Vinod- My budget is 5 L maximum including new Mudzillas..
Old 2nd November 2009, 12:31   #27
Senior - BHPian

Go for the new!

Quote:
Vinod- My budget is 5 L maximum including new Mudzillas..
5 lakhs is a good budget. Go for the new Major 4x4. Will meet all your requirements of on road cruising and good offroadability. Retrofit an a/c if you need it and you have a bomb.

Please dont fo for second hand scorpio or the Safari at that price. You will spend more than 1 lakh on repairs on it if you arent lucky.

For 5.5 lakhs you will have a new major with mudzillas! Please go for the new vehicle only since your buget is 5 lakhs!
Old 2nd November 2009, 13:22   #28
Senior - BHPian

I love the major, however wont the Major be a bit too hard on the family considering he wants a bit of creature comforts?

As Vinod mentions getting a good second hand Scorp or safari within your budget is kind of hard. Anyways, wish you luck.

And yes, Lucky Pushkin.
Old 3rd November 2009, 13:46   #29
Senior - BHPian

Last pics of my beauty

Vinod, Beejay is right about Major plus I am in no hurry. I will search with patience.

Pics I took today morning.

CL340 or Classic? EDIT : CL340 sold, what next?-image_001.jpg

CL340 or Classic? EDIT : CL340 sold, what next?-image_002.jpg

CL340 or Classic? EDIT : CL340 sold, what next?-image_003.jpg

CL340 or Classic? EDIT : CL340 sold, what next?-image_004.jpg

CL340 or Classic? EDIT : CL340 sold, what next?-image_005.jpg

CL340 or Classic? EDIT : CL340 sold, what next?-image_006.jpg

CL340 or Classic? EDIT : CL340 sold, what next?-image_007.jpg

CL340 or Classic? EDIT : CL340 sold, what next?-image_008.jpg
I will be handing over the jeep to Pushkin on Sunday.. Vinod you were right, I have already started missing it by the thought that it will go away soon. The feeling is like a very good friend has got engaged and will soon go to another town with her husband.. I feel lucky for jeep to have found a good partner(perfect made for each other) but also sad on the other hand.

One note to the MODs- I feel the Title of the thread doesn't go with current situation, please change it accordingly or if you feel ok then close this thread I will start a new appropriate one. Thanks.
Old 5th November 2009, 00:13   #30
Senior - BHPian

Dont give it away just yet!

Quote:
I will be handing over the jeep to Pushkin on Sunday.. Vinod you were right, I have already started missing it by the thought that it will go away soon. The feeling is like a very good friend has got engaged and will soon go to another town with her husband.. I feel lucky for jeep to have found a good partner(perfect made for each other) but also sad on the other hand.
Now i see this becoming a little filmy style-:-)) So read my reply filmy style-

"See, you said you will not miss it much and you are already missing it. Dont let the true friend go and feel lonely. I suggest you first find a good alternate friend for yourself and then give this away to pushkin (Her future partner;-)). " haha

Jokes apart, i can fully understand what you are going through. First find yourself a suitable 4x4 of your choice and if you find one then give it away. No point in being jeepless for a long time. In desperation you will pick up stuff whcih may not suit you.

I strongly suggest you to give this jeep away to him only when you find an alternate 4x4. Else you will repent.

p.s- Just look back at your pics that you posted. How pretty she is!! Dont give it away just as yet.

Last edited by vinod_nookala : 5th November 2009 at 00:14.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks