Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 21st October 2009, 10:58   #1
BHPian

Cruiser version of MM550/440

Hi All
I would like to start a discussion that can a MM550 or 440 can be modified for cruising purposes. We are all sure of what are the capabilities of these where off load is concern.

What is the reason it cannot achieve a comfortable speed of 80 to 100 with complete control. I saw there were few discussions where it was mentioned cursing at 100 is suicidal or not recommended.

It may be suspension or steering control or any other factor that is restricting for doing that. Even Bhpians put a new heart like Isuzu, Toyota and a power steering from armada /bolero to the 550s 440s. will it make the 550s comparables to SUvs

What are the modification that needs to be considered / need to be done to match the capabilities of SUV.

It may sound unreasonable to build a 550/440 on a platform of Scorpio chassis. if this is possible what are things that needs to considered or area of concern.

Experts please let us have your thoughts on this.

Regards
Srinivas

Last edited by Jaggu : 21st October 2009 at 12:03. Reason: Removing [Font] tags, please avoid copy paste from external font editors and use Preview before submitting post. Thanks
Old 21st October 2009, 12:41   #2
Senior - BHPian

If budget is not a problem then wait for new thar, it has exactly what you want!
Else-
Look for a Bolero 2wd chassis, cut short it, make the MM540 body sit on it, buy a Scorpio engine, mate it to BA 10 gearbox, change diff ratio and there you get speed. But the question is , is it worth it? specially when it will not be reliable?

Stock MM540 chassis has too much of flex to handle high speeds and suspension and steering isnt suited for high speed driving as they are too vague. Hence stay clear. MM550 2wd XDb can do 80-90kmph all day long. Find one if you want a simple solution.

P.s- Making a MM540/Jeep cruise like a SUV is like chasing your own tail:-)

Last edited by vinod_nookala : 21st October 2009 at 12:45.
Old 21st October 2009, 12:52   #3
BANNED

+1 to that. The MM540/550 were never made to cruise at speeds. It is best to use them as capable off roading and workhorse machines and travel between 80-90 kph on highways.

If you are bent on modifying it, there are many changes needed which may play havoc with the reliability.
Old 21st October 2009, 13:00   #4
BANNED

Mahindra does make a 550/540 for crusing. They call it the Bolero.
Old 21st October 2009, 13:02   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svpatra View Post
.....Even Bhpians put a new heart like Isuzu, Toyota and a power steering from armada /bolero to the 550s 440s. will it make the 550s comparables to SUvs......
.....What are the modification that needs to be considered / need to be done to match the capabilities of SUV.....
Well no matter what you do, a JEEP is a JEEP and can't match an SUV in terms of speed,comfort or safety. You can always attempt to improve it but don't compare with an SUV. The after market power steerings don't have the feel of the regular car P.S. we are habituated with and are not trouble free either. In case of a petrol jeep though i have seen there are several options to push it more through free-flow exhaust, headers, air filters etc. Last but not the least you need guts to drive a jeep at 100+ speed as the whole experience is not that 'soothing', at least for me as of now.
Old 21st October 2009, 13:22   #6
BHPian

Srinivas, I suppose fitting a anti roll bar from Bolero should help you to have better control. Speed upto 100 KMPH should not be a problem if the roads are good but I am sure going above 100 would be scary.

Experts, pls comment.
Old 21st October 2009, 13:56   #7
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Mahindra does make a 550/540 for crusing. They call it the Bolero.
Good one at that...Didnt occur to me...
Old 21st October 2009, 14:07   #8
Senior - BHPian

There is another thread running here that night be an answer to a cursing 540.
Old 21st October 2009, 14:14   #9
BHPian

Well,
To make a jeep a cruiser, the best one can do is to fix some good seat belts and a roll cage. Just in case. That will save lives. On a lighter note, stick a few "catch me if you can" decals.

I agree 100% with most views here.

The problem is not with cruising but handling at that speed. Its better to save money for something else.

I was doing a continuous 100+ on the Old madras route on my way from Chittoor to Bangalore 2 days ago.
One small unevenness on the road made my jeep fly and thud, as it landed it steered towards the right, thud again and it was steering towards the left. For almost a moment i was going zigzag on the road trying to bring it to control. It was scary. Had i braked at that moment, i would have done a 360 and toppled.
But again, it was that one particular place where i had experienced this behavior. I brought her down to a decent 85-90 and the rest of the journey was safe.

Regards,
Krishna.
Old 21st October 2009, 16:27   #10
Senior - BHPian

Loss of control

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittigadu View Post
Well,
I was doing a continuous 100+ on the Old madras route on my way from Chittoor to Bangalore 2 days ago.
One small unevenness on the road made my jeep fly and thud, as it landed it steered towards the right, thud again and it was steering towards the left. For almost a moment i was going zigzag on the road trying to bring it to control. It was scary. Had i braked at that moment, i would have done a 360 and toppled.
But again, it was that one particular place where i had experienced this behavior. I brought her down to a decent 85-90 and the rest of the journey was safe.

Regards,
Krishna.
The behaviour which you mentioned is genuine. There was one ocassion when i was traveling on tank bund in hyderabad, a MM540 2wd in front of me driven at about 60 kmph is hit by another motorcycle while overtaking from other side. The bike hits 540 on its right fender dead straight, goes under the rear right tyre, 540 looses control and swings to right, 540 driver doesnt get time even to respond moves to right into opposite traffic on right hand side hits Honda city and finally stops on the extreme left side. No fault of MM540 driver at all. Dont ask me about the bike rider. He was flung in the air. I didnt have courage to see what happened to him.

Jist of the story, it travelled all over the place the moment it hit a large adulation just at 60 kmph! Imagine this at 100 kmph. Use these vehicles for what they are meant for- Offroading!

Last edited by vinod_nookala : 21st October 2009 at 16:31.
Old 21st October 2009, 16:54   #11
BHPian

Thanks for everybody

All the view have a valid reason why the cruiser version of the jeep (mm550/540) is not possible, My point there are certain limitations of the jeep.Experts please suggest what are the areas that needs to improved.

The main motivation for this discussion after detail review of Darbar Sir’s tread what u need in a 550 /540 and Kandisa’s tread.
kandisa 's [FONT=&quot]Initiation to make the jeep for urban use is really admirable, The conclusion of this discussion will lead to make a jeep for cruising may not be at 100 but at a comfortable speed on highways [/FONT]
Regards
Srinivas
Old 21st October 2009, 19:39   #12
Senior - BHPian

Conclusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by svpatra View Post
My point there are certain limitations of the jeep.Experts please suggest what are the areas that needs to improved.

The conclusion of this discussion will lead to make a jeep for cruising may not be at 100 but at a comfortable speed on highways [/FONT]
Regards
Srinivas
Srinivas,
Conclusion is that a jeep cannot be made to cruise and handle like a SUV. Since you reduced your cruising speed requirement which i presume to be 80 kmph now, i believe a good 540 xdb must be able to achieve it comfortably. However handling and responsiveness is still a question.

But if you want to make it behave like a expensive SUv like Safari/ scorpio-

You will have to strengthen chassis at right places (which is beyond capacity of any garage), need a steering that is more direct (again major re-engineering required), suspension behaviour (you need to invest on expensive shocks, lower the springs and make it taught to minimize body roll), excellent tyres, suitable engine and gearbox and differentials, booster assisted brakes and countless fine tuning.

One of team BHP member Red MM340 had put a Scorpio engine in CJ 3b, did all what i mentioned above. He still believes jeep is good for 80-90 kmph. The total expense spent was close to 10 lakhs plus tons of technical knowledge

Do you still want to do it?
Old 21st October 2009, 22:59   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Conclusion is that a jeep cannot be made to cruise and handle like a SUV.
Exactly. If it does, then it is no JEEP but an SUV in Jeep clothes
Old 21st October 2009, 23:18   #14
BHPian

Srinivas,
I understand your point and in short i would suggest you to wait for the Thar if you can afford otherwise, look for a good 550XDB. Handles great at 80-90 and with the plastic leafs (Carbon fiber), i guess you will be more than happy. It has got a lot of better mechanicals than the previous 540's.

One most important factor i have noticed that goes against a jeep for cruising is the engine sound and vibrations. These two things make you more tired than the ride itself. And with a petrol engine (mm440, though i haven't driven any) i believe the engine sound is almost null compared to the noisy and vibratory Peugeot s and this makes your ride comfortable by almost 50%.

Regards,
Krishna.
Old 23rd October 2009, 18:03   #15
BHPian

Go for Safari 4x4 or Scorpio 4x4. More comfortable good speed, and wud take most of the challenge thrown at them if you dont mind scratches.

Most Viewed