Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 22nd October 2009, 19:08   #16
Senior - BHPian

Considering your proposed use and nature of travel I think the Gypsy makes for a better buy. The experts have clearly mentioned why.

The Maruti service network would be an added advantage.

Last edited by beejay : 22nd October 2009 at 19:18.
Old 22nd October 2009, 19:12   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
Since you specifically mention long distance travel why not a good used Safari 4x4? I think that would be the most comfortable choice, not to mention it will do a decent bit of offroad driving too especially forest trails.
I just failed to understand the Value add of this advice. It clearly understandable that he is Looking for a Jeep/Gypsy. No offense meant.

Thanks
--Sree--
Old 22nd October 2009, 22:19   #18
BHPian

Sorry to jump into this thread. I wanted to know from the experts, does it make sense to use a jeep like MM550 or 540 as a daily drive and the occassional highway driving like long road trips with family?

I am not a speed freak, but I would like cruising speeds on the highways (atleast 100 kmph) and a reliable vehicle. And I dont have the luxury of a 2 car parking space :(
Old 23rd October 2009, 19:35   #19
BHPian

Rahul,

There are a bunch of guys in the forum, who use their off-road hunks as daily drives. Occasional highway drives should also be fine. Depends on what you want on your daily drive. IMO a MM540/550 can never replace the comfort, coziness and sheer hands-off reliability of a daily drive hatch/sedan/SUV of present times. A MM540/550/Gypsy should ideally be your second vehicle, a Project, Hobby, Ego-shaper drive.

There is another thread in the forum by svpatra, where the same stuff about cruising on a jeep is being discussed. What I understood reading from there is that a Jeep can never be a cruiser.
Old 23rd October 2009, 20:08   #20
BHPian

Thanks Amresh for the clarification. Trust me, I am on virtually reading and re-reading every thread of 4X4 on this forum for last 4-5 months. I do gather that the jeep has to be 2nd vehicle, is not as reliable as the modern day vehicles and is not a cruiser. My heart is really set on the MM550 or the classic.

I am just hoping to find out if I can plonk in a more reliable engine under the hood and get a reasonable daily vehicle.
Old 23rd October 2009, 20:53   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrahul_2778 View Post
I am just hoping to find out if I can plonk in a more reliable engine under the hood and get a reasonable daily vehicle.
Engine is not the source of unreliability. It is the entire package.
Old 23rd October 2009, 22:50   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Amresh for the clarification. Trust me, I am on virtually reading and re-reading every thread of 4X4 on this forum for last 4-5 months. I do gather that the jeep has to be 2nd vehicle, is not as reliable as the modern day vehicles and is not a cruiser. My heart is really set on the MM550 or the classic.

Hello Rahul,

Reliability and cruising speed are two different topics. No one can say that Jeep is not reliable. You can always have 2 methods to maintain a Jeep

1) Always use Genuine parts
2) Use Jugard methods for managing the show.

Unfortunately, most of the crowd use the second way for saving some money. This made an image over time, that Jeep is not reliable. It's obvious that if you try to manage the show with "Jugad", Jeep will ditch you some where over a period of time. I am using my Jeep for both, daily drive and off-roading and she never let me down, off or on the road PERIOD. I have done long drives as well (With family). The stock engine is more than enough for any application as long as you keep away from Jugad way.

In short, you need to build an "Emotional" relationship with Jeep, just like Enfield Bullet. It's not a "Crank and Forget" vehicle. And trust me, she will not let you down anywhere. And "Keep it stock" at least the mechanical.

All the best and happy jeeping...

Thanks
--Sree--

Last edited by sreerajunnithan : 23rd October 2009 at 22:53.
Old 23rd October 2009, 23:05   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreerajunnithan View Post
...I am using my Jeep for both, daily drive and off-roading and she never let me down, off or on the road PERIOD. ...
. REALLY.????? Let's talk when we meet next at an OTR and we will take a trip down the memory lane
Old 23rd October 2009, 23:15   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
. REALLY.????? Let's talk when we meet next at an OTR and we will take a trip down the memory lane
Ok, the Gypsy Devil is here . Saar, can u re-collect any break-down apart from the starter issue i had at Shaklehpur. All Jeep guys, run for cover, there is someone here with a "Gypsy Propaganda" lol!!!! Damn, where were you? Hope you are in Bangalore. And there is something cooking up between "2nd generation Jeep freaks" in T-BHP" will keep u posted

PS: See the advices, all Jeep owners advised him to go for a Gypsy ;-)

--Sree--

Last edited by sreerajunnithan : 23rd October 2009 at 23:23.
Old 24th October 2009, 00:10   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreerajunnithan View Post

See the advices, all Jeep owners advised him to go for a Gypsy ;-)
he he.. It doesn't mean that Gypsy is good and jeep is bad. you are using one decade old jeep for office and offroading, see i am using 2 decade old for office and offroading. one thing is TRUE, if you want a jeep to be reliable, then keep it stock. it wont let you down any moment.

Sree, After looking at the advantages of a jeep over a gypsy, that gypsy devil has modified his gypsy to JEEPSY which behaves like both a jeep and a gypsy. BUT still it cannot tow a jeep.
Old 24th October 2009, 02:06   #26
Senior - BHPian

As a visit to Mayapuri will bear out, there are a lot of Gypsys and Gypsy parts there. Much more than MM5**s, at least when I was there. I think you will have less trouble finding quality spares with a Gypsy. Building reliability into an Army cast off? For me it might come down to finding that really knowlegable mechanic or shop and making my decision based on their expertise. What do THEY do well? There is also a big network of Maruti shops around that can help you.
Old 24th October 2009, 06:51   #27
BHPian

Friends thanks for the responses.

@sree - It does encourage me that you use your vehicle for daily drives and long drives. If I had my way I would really own two vehicles, but there is a serious lack of parking space. Even now my wagon R stands below a coconut tree in my rented house and I am always watching if there are any dry branches or coconuts that should not fall on the windshield

@samurai - since i am not too technical yet about the jeeps, I assume anything under the hood is the engine and that is what makes the vehicle reliable

Personally I like the jeep more than the gypsy - more from the looks point of view, but I guess what tilts the balance towards the gypsy is that original spares might still be available and the MPFI engines are still doing duties in other maruti vehicles. But when I see a well maintained Classic or any other jeep, I just start drooling on it.
Old 24th October 2009, 08:53   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Friends thanks for the responses.

but I guess what tilts the balance towards the gypsy is that original spares might still be available and the MPFI engines are still doing duties in other maruti vehicles. But when I see a well maintained Classic or any other jeep, I just start drooling on it.
rrahul,
Original spares are very much and plentiful ad available for all Mahindra Jeeps at the dealers. Likewise you have spares for Gypsy Carb and MPFI engines.
Jeeps in pristine condition are worth drooling, (not necessarily bling jeeps). I too drool for Jeeps and for very few Gypsies like Khan Sultan's.
Most would agree that, whatever model a Jeep is, it does not look outdated if properly maintained.
The personality and street presence that a jeep commands is unmatched.
If I could, I would own a MM550 (NGSC) and a Gypsy (King) with their own personalities blended with mine.
Regards,
Old 24th October 2009, 11:58   #29
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
@samurai - since i am not too technical yet about the jeeps, I assume anything under the hood is the engine and that is what makes the vehicle reliable
If you do buy a Jeep, you can't remain non-technical for too long. I call my Jeep an automobile university. It has taught me about automobile technology more than all my earlier vehicles put together.

If Sreeraj feels confident about his Jeep, that is because he can diagnose or fix most niggles on the field. I have barely started to diagnose Jeep problems, and I have miles to go before feeling as confident as him.

I have new cylinder head, fully overhauled gear box, new radiator, new water pump, new battery and many other fairly new parts, all are OE from Mahindra part shop. And it is an ongoing operation. You are never done with fixing all the problems. That's why the learning is non-stop. Right now I am dealing with mis-matched shocks problem. Two days back I discovered that the steering system is very sluggish, that's the next thing to check out.
Old 24th October 2009, 21:41   #30
BHPian

@ Samurai - Get the point. I am following your thread on your CJ3. I hope to sharpen my technical knowledge reading these posts. But the fact is until I get my hands greased up under the hood of my own 4X4 I wont be learning anything

Most Viewed