Team-BHP - Price Validation for a secondhand MPFi Gypsy!
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   4x4 Vehicles (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-vehicles/)
-   -   Price Validation for a secondhand MPFi Gypsy! (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-vehicles/67868-price-validation-secondhand-mpfi-gypsy-3.html)

A know DEVIL is better than unknown ANGEL.

See if you can post some pics.How abt rusting etc.
Since it was just used for on road purpose wouldn't have taken much beating.
Keep in mind that your are going to replace the complete eng and end-up spending atleast around 1-1.5L for its restoration.

I feel it should be something around 70-80k. Has it clocked 120K on the odo?

I would say go in for 413w carb .. since you are planning for raid either ways you would have to do up the vehicle completely be it 97 Gypsy or Mayapuri Gypsy.

Advantages of a Mayapuri 413w Carb over a 97 Gypsy :
  1. Newer Model
  2. Down the line if you plan to go in for a MPFI engine conversion will be easy.. Since gearbox , engine foundation is the same.
Dis-Advantages of a Mayapuri 413w Carb over a 97 Gypsy :
  1. You have to register the vehicle on your name.
P.S : Even i am planning for Raid next year and will be following the same route Army disposal 413w > Strengthen body shell > throw in a MPFI > Vrrooom .. So far thats the plan..

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeepfreak (Post 1554072)
P.S : Even i am planning for Raid next year and will be following the same route Army disposal 413w > Strengthen body shell > throw in a MPFI > Vrrooom .. So far thats the plan..

How much does the entire effort come down to? I would love to look at such an option myself but have no clue regarding this.

Harjeev and Jeepfreak,

To my knowledge if you are first timer to the Raid you will not be allowed to swap the engine as for the first time you can only participate in the Reliability category and that dose not allow you to have the engine swapped(The orignal engine that came with the vehicle needed), that is only possible in the T1(free) category. I have been aspiring for the raid for a decade now never made it but may be next year as always (we can share the service team).

I have followed the raid right from its start as i belong to Shimla, you will need to push the 410w to the limit to catch up with any mpfi as altitude takes a toll on the vehicle and the driver (Reliability category is as tough as the Extreme) , You will be better off in a mpfi even if it is a mayapuri army disposal redone.

Rajnish

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeepfreak (Post 1554072)
I would say go in for 413w carb .. since you are planning for raid either ways you would have to do up the vehicle completely be it 97 Gypsy or Mayapuri Gypsy.

Advantages of a Mayapuri 413w Carb over a 97 Gypsy :
  1. Newer Model
  2. Down the line if you plan to go in for a MPFI engine conversion will be easy.. Since gearbox , engine foundation is the same.
Dis-Advantages of a Mayapuri 413w Carb over a 97 Gypsy :
  1. You have to register the vehicle on your name.

Hi guys,
I talked to a couple of friends today and discussed this same plan with them.
They advised me against going in the MG410-MG413 mpfi route. Reason being as followsAdditionally they estimated that the above conversation will cost be anywhere between 1.5 +/- (10-20%). Then again the reliability of the after market work done will never be as good as a factory fitted mechanicals. To this add 70-75K the cost the the 1.0CARB. This comes to 2.25-2.5L.

So what we've thought that it would be much more prudent to buy a MPFI gyspy from the market, maybe a 2004 or 2005 models 1.3 MPFI king. This should be about 3.00L +/- 10%. Now again I do not have any idea and maybe much wrong here, but atleast civilian 413's will be much less absued than army disposals with very little to no 4x4 usage when compared to Army vehicles!!! I think that I've had enough experience restoring Army Disposals for one lifetime. And have come to this conclusion that its not simply worth it.
i am not ust talking about the cost part, money aside too, the amount of time and efforts that one has to invest when restoring disposals is much much more than civilian vehicles. Further do can never get the same kind of reliability as in stock vehicles.

So I think that I will on the lookout for a Delhi registered MPFI 413 and if I like the vehicle I am ready to pay a slight premium for that too. If i am not able to lay my hands on one, New 413's are for 5.4L on road delhi.

Harjeev I am having similar thoughts, In case you feel you will do the raid time after time go in for a new one if you want to try it out and then decide buy a used one. Even the best and very prefessionally prepared gypsys break down in the Raid so reliability is the key. Good luck with the hunt..

Quote:

Originally Posted by harjeev (Post 1554347)
Hi guys,
I talked to a couple of friends today and discussed this same plan with them.
They advised me against going in the MG410-MG413 mpfi route. Reason being as follows
  • Engine, gearbox, Transfercase will have to be changed
  • Complete electricals will have to be re done including sourcing an ECM
  • Front & rear diff would too have to be changed as the ratios are totally different
  • Wheels, brakes, clutch etc etc will have to be replaced. not to mention smll small things as engine, gearbox mountings on the chassis, they might be different too
  • So the only thing that will be left in the vehicle will be the Chassis and the body tub, and that too who know what will be left after 10 years of neglect
Additionally they estimated that the above conversation will cost be anywhere between 1.5 +/- (10-20%). Then again the reliability of the after market work done will never be as good as a factory fitted mechanicals. To this add 70-75K the cost the the 1.0CARB. This comes to 2.25-2.5L.

So what we've thought that it would be much more prudent to buy a MPFI gyspy from the market, maybe a 2004 or 2005 models 1.3 MPFI king. This should be about 3.00L +/- 10%. Now again I do not have any idea and maybe much wrong here, but atleast civilian 413's will be much less absued than army disposals with very little to no 4x4 usage when compared to Army vehicles!!! I think that I've had enough experience restoring Army Disposals for one lifetime. And have come to this conclusion that its not simply worth it.
i am not ust talking about the cost part, money aside too, the amount of time and efforts that one has to invest when restoring disposals is much much more than civilian vehicles. Further do can never get the same kind of reliability as in stock vehicles.

So I think that I will on the lookout for a Delhi registered MPFI 413 and if I like the vehicle I am ready to pay a slight premium for that too. If i am not able to lay my hands on one, New 413's are for 5.4L on road delhi.

That's a wise decision HJ.Going for any Gypsy for that matter is a trouble free life. You need not run to garage very often. will have a peaceful sleep.

Cheers.