Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th May 2011, 18:46   #136
BHPian

Re: MM550 Army to Civilian Makeover by JeepCaptain

Great pics where was this OTR? Long time how you doing Sir?

-Karumbaiah
Karumbaiah is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2011, 21:01   #137
Senior - BHPian

Shibu,

Its so nice hearing from you, been long.

Yes, the LSD is something one needs to have on their Jeep, I have it on my 340 (wip) and the difference is very pronounced.

Tell me, I can see the Janiah springs on your 550, do you have any issues with them, like Siva (Trammway) encountered.

Your 550 looks great, especially on the mound and the deep slush road.
Regards,
fazalaliadil is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th May 2011, 06:17   #138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karumbaiah View Post
Great pics where was this OTR? Long time how you doing Sir?

-Karumbaiah
Dear Karumbaiah, I am doing good. Yes I know its been a long time. Got busy with work and some personal things. How is your CJ3B doing? Those pics are from Munnar. Our Favourite OTR Location.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalaliadil View Post
Shibu,

Its so nice hearing from you, been long.

Yes, the LSD is something one needs to have on their Jeep, I have it on my 340 (wip) and the difference is very pronounced.

Tell me, I can see the Janiah springs on your 550, do you have any issues with them, like Siva (Trammway) encountered.

Your 550 looks great, especially on the mound and the deep slush road.
Regards,
Dear Fazal Sir, Yes its been a long time. :-). Nice to hear from you too.

After experiencing my 550's performance I also recommend LSD to all my Jeeper friends. Most of them have installed it by now and rest of them have bought LSD's and planning to do it soon.

Will checkout your 340 thread soon.

Yes I still have Janiah springs on it and so far I haven't had any issues. Its works perfectly fine and much better than the stock springs. Recently I got a set of stock 550 springs and just for testing I removed the Janiah springs and put the OE springs. Then I could feel the difference. The handling totally changed or went from extremely good to bad. Then I immediately decided to revert back. So as of now I am reverting back to Janiah springs and also going for ProComp ES 9000 performance shocks. Will post pics soon.
JeepCaptain is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th May 2011, 10:04   #139
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepCaptain View Post
also going for ProComp ES 9000 performance shocks. Will post pics soon.
Shibu,
Please enlighten me about these shocks, advantages, specs, availability and cost.
Regards,
Old 14th May 2011, 11:00   #140
Distinguished - BHPian

What are Janiah springs? How are they different from the normal leaves and what are their advantages and disadvantages in comparison to the normal springs in both on and off road conditions?
Old 14th May 2011, 11:54   #141
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
What are Janiah springs? How are they different from the normal leaves and what are their advantages and disadvantages in comparison to the normal springs in both on and off road conditions?
Tejas,
'Janaiah springs' we have named after Mr. Janaiah, a 75+ young man in Hyderabad. This is his ingenious innovation.

They have a connected helpers and have a great ride quality.
I was the first one to get it done, one my orange 540, then many others in Hyderabad too went in for it, later Shibu sent his 550 from Kerala to get this done.

Siva (Trammway) too got them imported from Hyderabad through me and did Avalakonda with them on, but he wanted more articulation on his Classic, so he ordered a set with two additional leafs in each set.

Somehow, he found the set up too stiff and it did not deliver what he expected, and the extra leafs meant thicker pack, so the U bolts were also touching stones as their level went under the rear pumpkin level.

However, UBS Sir and Sir Behram also have given a thumbs down to this innovation.

I presently have them on my 340, and after Siva's feedback I reduced one leaf and it is magic, there is a still stiffness in the rear pack when I go over a speed breaker, so I will remove another leaf from all four, maintaining the same body height.

In all I have installed this setup on 5 Jeeps and no problem except from Siva's Jeep.
Regards,

The Master Craftsman, Janaiah.
MM550  Army to Civilian Makeover by JeepCaptain-img_4440.jpg
The first job on my orange 540.
MM550  Army to Civilian Makeover by JeepCaptain-img_9124.jpg
Shibu's 550.
MM550  Army to Civilian Makeover by JeepCaptain-img_6634.jpg
My 340, before the chassis and what not changed.
MM550  Army to Civilian Makeover by JeepCaptain-img_0503.jpg
fazalaliadil is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th May 2011, 12:21   #142
BHPian

Quote:
However, UBS Sir and Sir Behram also have given a thumbs down to this innovation.
Whatever be the performance of these springs, I would salute this old man for coming out with his thinking cap through this innovation. Not too sure of the technicality involved, I am pretty sure it can be tweaked to see good results. May be trammways springs were a one off case. If your 5 Jeeps show good results then there is certainly something going for it. Well done Jannaiah Sahab!
Old 18th May 2011, 01:29   #143
BHPian

Quote:
Shibu,
Please enlighten me about these shocks, advantages, specs, availability and cost.
Regards,
Dear Fazal Sir, Here are the details of Pro Comp ES 9000 shocks

The Pro Comp ES 9000 is a nitrogen gas charged shock absorber. With its twin tube design and 10 stage velocity sensitive valving, the ES 9000 delivers not only a smooth, comfortable highway ride, but also enhances off-road handling and performance. Engineered for those driving enthusiasts demanding optimum capacity for heavy loads as well as the most demanding driving conditions. These shocks feature:

• Pro Comp's ultimate twin-tube, nitrogen gas-charged shock absorber
• Multi-stage velocity sensitive valving
• Twin tube construction
• 1-3/8" nylon-banded full displacement piston head
• 5/8" piston rod
• Soft polyurethane bushings
• Price does NOT includes shock boots

The Advantages are they are cheap and available for many vehicles and also for stock as well as for vehicles with lifted suspensions.

I have read only good reports about them. Robinson is using it in his CJ3B and also his Invader for many years now. And now many other Kerala Jeepers have switched to Pro Comp shocks and all of them are happy.

Price is US $ 40 Each in USA. But I paid about 15K for set of 4, landed cost in India.

Interestingly the boots are optional and comes in muticolours and has to be bought separately.

See the pics below of shocks as well as the boots.

MM550  Army to Civilian Makeover by JeepCaptain-pro-comp-es-9000.jpg

MM550  Army to Civilian Makeover by JeepCaptain-boots.jpg

Will post pics of my 550 with these shocks soon.
Cheers
Shibu
JeepCaptain is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th May 2011, 09:06   #144
BHPian

Hi Captain ,

Nice to see you back in here .

How's your Thar doing ?

Hope the Defender is shaping up great ..

I would like to know about the model # of the Pro Comp ES 9000,( front & rear ) I guess the same ones will be a direct fit for the Thar too . The Bilstein b6 are a bit over priced and this seems to be very affordable .

cheers !

Last edited by slalom : 18th May 2011 at 09:14. Reason: left out some details.
Old 18th May 2011, 10:30   #145
Distinguished - BHPian

Shibu,

Who is the official dealer in India?
Old 18th May 2011, 10:36   #146
BHPian

Shibu,
Please post pics of MM 550 with this shocks, and importers details.

Thanks!
Old 22nd May 2011, 22:10   #147
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by slalom View Post
Hi Captain ,
Nice to see you back in here .

How's your Thar doing ?

Hope the Defender is shaping up great ..

I would like to know about the model # of the Pro Comp ES 9000,( front & rear ) I guess the same ones will be a direct fit for the Thar too . The Bilstein b6 are a bit over priced and this seems to be very affordable .

cheers !
Dear slalom, Thar is doing well. Done 5000km already.But havent taken it offroad yer. I mean for fun OTR's. Otherwise its been driven mostly offroad on a daily basis.

Defender is also shaping up well. Hopefully it will be ready in a months time.

Regarding the part number of Procomp. Its 921500. I am not sure about the direct fitment in Thar. Please check with Spike or Behram sir about that.
Yes this is very affordable compared to Bilstein.

Quote:
Shibu,
Who is the official dealer in India?
Dear Tejas, I don't think there is a dealer in India. But It should be available in Bangkok. I have a special dealer and he has a white Invader 4x4 who does home delivery for me. .Hope you know whom I am talking about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4army View Post
Shibu,
Please post pics of MM 550 with this shocks, and importers details.

Thanks!
Dear Sanjay, Will do that soon bro. Good to see our 550 coming up well. There is no dealer or importer for these shocks. I got it through another Jeeper friend. He brought it for me from Jakarta, Indonesia.
Cheers
Shibu
Old 22nd May 2011, 23:27   #148
BHPian

Quote:
Going slightly OT ,

Jannaiah aka cheddi mestri makes kamaans ( leaf springs) for Jeeps.

There are mixed reviews on this gentleman

Nobody advises him here locally and strongly advise not to get conned for reasons best known. The Jeep collectors as well as the experienced offroaders strictly stay away from him .

I have seen his work mostly on JEEPS which are used to carry load (beedi leaves) and how the owner becomes a laughing stock very soon for paying him 20k.

A friend of mine got conned and had to suffer a sagging leaf spring just after a week.

How ever i have not come to a conclusion since he has a good reputation here at TBHP and would like to meet Fazal bhai and check out his JEEP.

Fazal bhai where is your JEEP in Bhahadhurpura ?

Tejas , i guess you are fitting 33" tires in your next project which needs atleast 3" lift for proper suspension flex.

I have ordered skyjacker 4" lift kit for my CJ6 and i guess that is another option you can look at.
Frankenstein is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2011, 00:20   #149
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankenstein View Post
Going slightly OT ,

Jannaiah aka cheddi mestri makes kamaans ( leaf springs) for Jeeps.

There are mixed reviews on this gentleman

Nobody advises him here locally and strongly advise not to get conned for reasons best known. The Jeep collectors as well as the experienced offroaders strictly stay away from him .

I have seen his work mostly on JEEPS which are used to carry load (beedi leaves) and how the owner becomes a laughing stock very soon for paying him 20k.

A friend of mine got conned and had to suffer a sagging leaf spring just after a week.

How ever i have not come to a conclusion since he has a good reputation here at TBHP and would like to meet Fazal bhai and check out his JEEP.

Fazal bhai where is your JEEP in Bhahadhurpura ?

Tejas , i guess you are fitting 33" tires in your next project which needs atleast 3" lift for proper suspension flex.

I have ordered skyjacker 4" lift kit for my CJ6 and i guess that is another option you can look at.
Dear Frankenstein, Thanks for the feedback or update. Whatever is your experience. So far I had no such issues or defects to my set of Janaiah leaves.

Just to let you know I am not doing any PR for him here because I have not even spoken to him or met him in person. Fazal Sir got my Jeep done And my Jeep was send to Hyderabad to get this done and it was done under watchful eyes of Fazal Sir.

Talking about my 550 its been put to rigorous test in last 8 months. Did many extreme OTR's in Munnar and my 550 was also used to carry upto 750-800 kgs of fertilizer to my farm many times which is located 2500M above sea level and have to travel through 5km of fully broken road and also carried loads of farm products back from the farm.And majority of that 5 km you can drive only in 4WD Low. In between for about 2 months my 550 was also used to carry 8-10 labourers back and forth from my farm through the same broken road where the leaf springs were bottoming out many times.

After all these abuse, so far there is no sagging of leafs or breakage. May be I was just too lucky. Wish I had all the pics an videos to demonstrate.

Just fyi 4" lift is way too much bro. What size tyres are you planning to put on your CJ6? 35" ??

Cheers
Shibu Varghese
Old 23rd May 2011, 10:00   #150
BHPian

HI Shibu

Its a good thing you are enjoying his setup. Like i said i just mentioned the local scene here and its not my opinion .

4" lift is perfect for 33" tires under full articulation .

2" shackle lift is just about it for 31" tires .

35" was in my mind , but too much head ache and not worth it .

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks