Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th December 2009, 18:57   #91
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anil Vincent View Post
Hi Shibu, were you going to be in Kerala this month, wish to meet you and to do some OTR we are planning to visit Wynad.
Anil, My plans are still not confirmed. Send me your cellphone number in kerala and I will get in touch with you when I am there.
Regards
Shibu
Old 9th December 2009, 12:38   #92
BHPian

Guys, I did small offroading with 550 and was really impressed with its performance compared to my ex-540. The tyres never spun freely. Dont know whether its due to the LSD or the brand new JK sand cum highway tyres or combination of both.

The vehicle cleared all the pits and climbed hills easily in 4x4 mode. But when i disenagaged 4x4 in an easy terrain i felt like it lost the punch. The Engine was about to stall ( i felt) and I had to revv it up all the time to keep moving. Does any one know why? Is this normal with 550's?

Experts, I have few more questions

1) How do you find out whether the LSD is working?
2) Is there LSD in front aswell on a MM550 XD?
3) How is the perfomance of JK Sand cum highway tyres on mud terrain/slush compared to MRF Sand grip or Appollo Bullet?

Thanks
Shibu
Old 9th December 2009, 12:55   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepCaptain View Post
Guys, I did small offroading with 550 and was really impressed with its performance compared to my ex-540. The tyres never spun freely. Dont know whether its due to the LSD or the brand new JK sand cum highway tyres or combination of both.

The vehicle cleared all the pits and climbed hills easily in 4x4 mode. But when i disenagaged 4x4 in an easy terrain i felt like it lost the punch. The Engine was about to stall ( i felt) and I had to revv it up all the time to keep moving. Does any one know why? Is this normal with 550's?
If its was the low ratio, then yes, you have to rev it a little for speed, but I never had an issue in high ratio

Experts, I have few more questions

1) How do you find out whether the LSD is working?
As per my limited knowledge, LSD kicks in when the LSD system senses that one wheel is spinning faster than the other. I know that its a very lame answer, but the experts will be able to answer it specifically
2) Is there LSD in front aswell on a MM550 XD?
the front does not come with a LSD
3) How is the perfomance of JK Sand cum highway tyres on mud terrain/slush compared to MRF Sand grip or Appollo Bullet?

Thanks
Shibu
my responses are in bold
Old 9th December 2009, 14:41   #94
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Update about the 550

Engine - overhauled and fitted
JC

JeepCaptain,
Just came across your thread and I have a few queries for you. What all was done when your 550 Engine was overhauled.

New Parts used. Like pistons, valves, Main and conrod bearings, Camshaft bushes.
Fuel pump overhaul?
Reboring and sleeving of cylinders? I've heard that for the 550 you only get std size pistons and hence it has to be sleeved? is this true
Valve seats and Vave Guides?
Crankshast grinding and what size of bearings used.
Did you get the block linebored or did you set the main bearing caps and conrod caps to adjust ovality.
Any idea of the tolerance set between main bearing and crank journals and also between conrod bearing and journals?
New Oil pump?
New Cyl Head bolts, new main bearing and new conrod bolts?
Anything else you can think of
Regards and thanks in advance
Old 9th December 2009, 15:57   #95
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Shibu:

Your jeep is looking great !. Nothing like an Army MM550 in stock condition.

Sometimes, I think I went overboard with all the stuff, I did on my jeep. I was trying to make it comfy for an occasionally long highway trip to an OTR spot, but now I feel better to keep a jeep a jeep and have a more comfy SUV for your long trips.
Old 9th December 2009, 20:18   #96
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deutscheafrikar View Post
JeepCaptain,
Just came across your thread and I have a few queries for you. What all was done when your 550 Engine was overhauled.

I will take this opportunity to answer your queries,

New Parts used. Like pistons, valves, Main and conrod bearings, Camshaft bushes.

Pistons, Rings and Pins replaced
Main and Conrod bearings replaced
Head gasket changed
Timing chain replaced

Cam shaft bush

Fuel pump overhaul?

Fuel pump overhaul done

Reboring and sleeving of cylinders? I've heard that for the 550 you only get std size pistons and hence it has to be sleeved? is this true

Yes, the sleeves were changed and again the bore is std size. Hence std. size piston with rings and std size bore liner.

Valve seats and Vave Guides?

Changed

Crankshast grinding and what size of bearings used.

Now it is the 1st over size, hence as per the lathe shop it is 10 size

Did you get the block line bored or did you set the main bearing caps and conrod caps to adjust ovality.

Set the main bearing and conrod bearing adjusted as required by ovality

Any idea of the tolerance set between main bearing and crank journals and also between conrod bearing and journals?

Sorry, Didn't notice as the mechanic finished it well before my arrival.

New Oil pump?

Yes, brand new oil pump.

New Cyl Head bolts, new main bearing and new conrod bolts?

I doubt if we changed the cyl head bolt change, but main bearing and conrod bolts changed.

Anything else you can think of

Diesel pump nozzles & body have been replaced.he other items are such as alternator, starter overhaul, all the belts and fuel, oil filters and new oil changed.
Old 9th December 2009, 21:27   #97
BHPian

[quote=JeepCaptain;1619262]Thanks Mandeep, I have enjoyed the ride both on and offroad. Will post pics soon.

Now posting pics of 550 with new tyres, JK Sand cum Highway! It took Siva lot of time and phone calls to get those rubbers for 550.

Hey are these Sand cum highways 235 / 70 r 16? they look a little slimmer compared to the mrf sandgrips and the bullets?
Old 10th December 2009, 10:04   #98
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trammway View Post
Diesel pump nozzles & body have been replaced.he other items are such as alternator, starter overhaul, all the belts and fuel, oil filters and new oil changed.
Trammway,
Thanks a lot for the information you have given me. Appreciate it. One last question. Do you have an idea of what the oil pressure showing on the guage in this 550 engine is?

1) When just started and hence on a cold engine, at idle and when reved up?

2) When warm and has reached normal operatiing temp, again when idling and also when reved up.
Regards
Old 10th December 2009, 14:42   #99
BHPian

Quote:
JeepCaptain,
deutscheafrikar, trammway is the best person for all your technical queries since he is the one who helped me with restoration and I see that he has already replied to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Shibu:
Your jeep is looking great !. Nothing like an Army MM550 in stock condition.

Sometimes, I think I went overboard with all the stuff, I did on my jeep. I was trying to make it comfy for an occasionally long highway trip to an OTR spot, but now I feel better to keep a jeep a jeep and have a more comfy SUV for your long trips.
Yes Tini, Thanks for your comments. You are absolutely right. Keep the Jeep a Jeep and have a modern SUV for long drives. Thats the way I do it with all my restorations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trammway View Post

Thanks Siva for helping me with this. You are the Expert!

Quote:
Originally Posted by davids4x4mm550 View Post
Quote:
Thanks Mandeep, I have enjoyed the ride both on and offroad. Will post pics soon.

Now posting pics of 550 with new tyres, JK Sand cum Highway! It took Siva lot of time and phone calls to get those rubbers for 550. .
Hey are these Sand cum highways 235 / 70 r 16? they look a little slimmer compared to the mrf sandgrips and the bullets?
Hi David, AFAIK MRF SandGrip, JK Sand cum Highway and Appollo Bullets comes in same size 7.60 x 16. Only difference is the tread pattern!
Shibu
Old 13th December 2009, 19:03   #100
BHPian

Off-Road Testing MM550

Friends,
After getting the 550 home I really wanted to test offroading capablities myself espcially with LSD and new JK nylon tyres. But Siva warned me not to do any serious offroading for the first 2500 km after the rebuild and the vehicles had done only 1500+ kilometers. So I decided to take it to a rubber plantation and did a (mild) testing.

The test lasted only for 30 minutes and the results were really good. Except few issues which I found. Please see the verdict and the mods
planned below.

Now the pics. Enjoy

MM550  Army to Civilian Makeover by JeepCaptain-img_2797.jpg

MM550  Army to Civilian Makeover by JeepCaptain-img_2804.jpg

MM550  Army to Civilian Makeover by JeepCaptain-img_2805.jpg

MM550  Army to Civilian Makeover by JeepCaptain-img_2807.jpg

MM550  Army to Civilian Makeover by JeepCaptain-img_2809.jpg

MM550  Army to Civilian Makeover by JeepCaptain-img_2810.jpg

MM550  Army to Civilian Makeover by JeepCaptain-img_2811.jpg

MM550  Army to Civilian Makeover by JeepCaptain-img_2813.jpg

MM550  Army to Civilian Makeover by JeepCaptain-img_2816.jpg

MM550  Army to Civilian Makeover by JeepCaptain-img_2817.jpg

MM550  Army to Civilian Makeover by JeepCaptain-img_2818.jpg

MM550  Army to Civilian Makeover by JeepCaptain-img_2820.jpg

MM550  Army to Civilian Makeover by JeepCaptain-img_2824.jpg

MM550  Army to Civilian Makeover by JeepCaptain-img_2827.jpg

MM550  Army to Civilian Makeover by JeepCaptain-img_2828.jpg

MM550  Army to Civilian Makeover by JeepCaptain-img_2829.jpg

MM550  Army to Civilian Makeover by JeepCaptain-img_2830.jpg

MM550  Army to Civilian Makeover by JeepCaptain-img_2831.jpg

MM550  Army to Civilian Makeover by JeepCaptain-img_2832.jpg

MM550  Army to Civilian Makeover by JeepCaptain-img_2837.jpg

MM550  Army to Civilian Makeover by JeepCaptain-img_2838.jpg

MM550  Army to Civilian Makeover by JeepCaptain-img_2842.jpg

MM550  Army to Civilian Makeover by JeepCaptain-img_2846.jpg

MM550  Army to Civilian Makeover by JeepCaptain-img_2848.jpg

MM550  Army to Civilian Makeover by JeepCaptain-img_2849.jpg

MM550  Army to Civilian Makeover by JeepCaptain-img_2853.jpg

MM550  Army to Civilian Makeover by JeepCaptain-img_2860.jpg

Shibu
Old 14th December 2009, 12:14   #101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
deutscheafrikar, trammway is the best person for all your technical queries since he is the one who helped me with restoration and I see that he has already replied to you.
JeepCaptain thanks for the reply,

Maybe you can tell me about this
Do you have an idea of what the oil pressure showing on the guage in your 550 engine is?

2) When warm and has reached normal operatiing temp, again when idling and also when reved up.
Regards
Old 14th December 2009, 12:49   #102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
JeepCaptain thanks for the reply,

Maybe you can tell me about this
Do you have an idea of what the oil pressure showing on the guage in your 550 engine is?

Regards

I could remember the oil pressure showing up above 3.25 - 3.5 range on the gauge. This is arrived as soon as you start the engine, I never seen it going below or above during my entire 1178km drive to Trivandrum from Chennai.

Also, did not note it with various flags as you inquired. There are again factors on the newly built engine as the 1st 1000-1500kms will be too tight and bit of high temperature (around 82-85deg) hence the oil pressure may show that effect.

But I'm not 100% sure about the oil temperature which may work for the dilution of the oil property which may lead oil pressure to go down. In Shibu's jeep case the gauge shown pretty normal figures.

After the first oil service at 1500kms and upto 5000kms there will be lots of improvements. The firm figures may be seen after his 2nd oil change which is expected around 5000kms.

I'm may be completely wrong here, hence requesting the experts to post their view on this.
Old 14th December 2009, 13:49   #103
Senior - BHPian

Hi trammway
Thanks for taking time to answer my questions. Much appreciated. I have a fair idea now, of what the overhaul consisted of, and what the engine oil pressure should be on an good engine with well set, main and conrod bearings on good crank journals.
Regards
Old 16th December 2009, 08:12   #104
BHPian

Emergency electrical kill switch/electrical cut-off switch

Friends Army MM550, Army Gypsy owners,

I have a question about Emergency electrical kill switch/electrical cut-off switch which is found on all army vehicles. Same is added on rally vehicles for safety purposes.

I have the same switch on my 550, But the electrician did not connect it when he did the rewiring during the restoration.

Anyone has a an idea or diagram on how to connect it.

Thanks
JC
Old 16th December 2009, 09:32   #105
Senior - BHPian

JeepCaptain,
A very good job done on your 550, colour looks good and tough.
Fenders are needed to complete the look.
Job well done.
Regards,

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks