Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th December 2009, 13:30   #61
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post
Thank you Doc. As usual, your suggestions are golden. A few questions:

1. Why 235/75 R15 on 7.5X15 alloys? Why not 215/75 R15 on 6.5 or 7X15 alloys? (I say this because I'm partial to 215 width, as also the fact that I have found a nice design in HR Alloys, 7X15 and 139.5mm PCD)

2. What is a front sump cum control arm guard? Can you post a pic of the area you are talking about? (If you don't, it'll give me one more reason to raid your house at Kalyani and check it out myself).

3. Still, the biggest problem remains getting an MPFI example at a decent price. Including you, a lot of people have advised me to stay away from ex-army vehicles. Maybe buying new is the only choice left.

An apology to you and everyone following this thread. Project Nomad is very much on, and will start as soon as I lay my hands on an MPFI Gypsy.

Edit: Hey Arka, saw your post after submitting this reply. Well, I have said at the very outset that I'm not considering a Mahindra 4X4 for this project, for the simple reason that Nomad has to be a competent highway vehicle as well. As much as I'm in love with an ex-army MM550 after that last Kolkata OTR (UBS would know), I don't think any Mahindra 4X4 is refined enough to do a 500 km trip and keep its driver (even remotely) fresh at the end of it. Plus I'm not going to use Nomad for very hardcore offroading.

Thats the size that my friend Jon ran on his Samurai. With that he managed to outdo many bigger opponents. That size is the sweet spot for the Gyspy, you still have clearance and yet have a good sizable contact patch for some serious off roading. Also the 7.5 rims will let your 235 spread perfectly, specially when you are reducing tire pressure for sand and mud duty. New Gypsy King would be best option for you in case you wish to get peace of mind on highways. MPFI runs very good except at high altitudes where it has tendency to overheat, if you keep that in mind and don't intend to make Leh your abode, you are all set with the Gypsy. The sump guard needs to be fabricated so when you come to Kalyani, I will give you the design.

Last edited by Gurkha : 17th December 2009 at 13:31.
Old 17th December 2009, 14:05   #62
BHPian

@predatorwheelz

If cost is a problem for buying a new gypsy, why not buy an army disposable and since you are particular about an mpfi, swap the engine to an esteems mpfi and link it to the 4x4. Sure you will have to be patient as sourcing the engine will be a problem, but by the looks of it so is finding the right model. So I'd suggest you start your project off with an army disposable and slowly rebuild it as time and money allows. By doing this you will learn a lot about your vehicle plus the pleasure of customizing and driving something you did on your own, which to me would be a blast. I suggest you give this project a go ASAP before you change your mind.

At the same time I dont want anyone to feel discouraged to buy a brand new one from maruti, as it might help ease up demands a little bit. I might buy one soon so...

Last edited by nitro.1000bhp : 17th December 2009 at 14:07.
Old 17th December 2009, 19:51   #63
BHPian

Well suggested Nitro,

Dada, I would also recommend the same, buy an army disposed one and re-build it as per the choice / time / money. The end-result will be truly YOU and not just a machine.
Old 19th December 2009, 16:44   #64
BHPian

whither army gypsies

Aniket bhai
I am seeing that some mpfi's are coming through the army auctions. There are a lot of options actually if we send our feelers and wait for the right moment with cash in store. I am also looking to buy an mpfi for a friend's project. I will be mostly looking towards army disposals. From my limited experience in this matter, I can vouch for the quality of army disposals if you are particular in the very beginning. Will update you if I find anything.

In the meanwhile , continue your research and enlighten us all by posting whatever you find.

regards,
Dr. Abheek Ghosh
Old 13th January 2010, 02:58   #65
Senior - BHPian

@predatorwheelz

any updates mate. did you find your Gypsy after all. if yes, please postpics.
Old 13th January 2010, 12:04   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
@predatorwheelz

Desmo, the gypsy hunt is still on. predatorwheelz and myself have been hunting for an mpfi gypsy (which is within budget) even before this thread was put up. still no luck. Man this vehicle has become rarer than a classic it seems.

As and when the Gypsy is found work on PN will start. Even parts, costs as well as designated workshops have been finalised. The main part of the project is still missing.
Old 13th January 2010, 15:06   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOS Power View Post
Desmo, the gypsy hunt is still on. predatorwheelz and myself have been hunting for an mpfi gypsy (which is within budget) even before this thread was put up. still no luck. Man this vehicle has become rarer than a classic it seems.
Dont mean to discourage you, but the "second hand Gypsy in good condition" is a mythical beast that doesnt exist in real life.

I spent 2 years between 2004 and 2006 hunting for this mythical beast before finally giving up and plonking down the money for a new one. The ones on sale are in poor condition requiring extensive work or are simply not available.

If you look at it as a 15 year investment (as i am) then buying one brand new isnt so bad is it?

What is so bad about a carb gypsy? Its not too bad if u ask me and you might have better chances of finding one of those.
Old 13th January 2010, 15:25   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
@predatorwheelz

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOS Power View Post

As and when the Gypsy is found work on PN will start. Even parts, costs as well as designated workshops have been finalised. The main part of the project is still missing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by COUGAR View Post
Dont mean to discourage you, but the "second hand Gypsy in good condition" is a mythical beast that doesnt exist in real life.

What is so bad about a carb gypsy? Its not too bad if u ask me and you might have better chances of finding one of those.
Ok, to answer all questions. First, I'm looking for an MPFi Gypsy in a shoestring budget, and at that budget an army discard is all I can afford. However, this has proved the elusive unicorn. MPFis are simply not available at army auctions. The few civilian examples I see are ridiculously priced.

In the meanwhile, people within and outside Tbhp have passed me a lot of leads, but everytime the vehicle is either out of budget, or done up in a way I dont fancy.

Now I've decided to widen my search a little. Carb Gypsys are widely available at my budget. Only problem is an engine which put out 65 bhp in new condition will offer even less power after 7 years of rigorous use. So maybe I'll pick up a carb and look at enhancing the power output a little - as long as that does not make the car unreliable in the long haul.

I'm a sort of person who chooses to wait eternally to find the right recipe, rather than hurry it up and cry later. But this time my patience is being tested.

To end it, as NOS confirmed, every logistical detail (parts, workshops etc) has been put in place. Just to get the correct vehicle now.
Old 13th January 2010, 15:31   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Now I've decided to widen my search a little. Carb Gypsys are widely available at my budget. Only problem is an engine which put out 65 bhp in new condition will offer even less power after 7 years of rigorous use. So maybe I'll pick up a carb and look at enhancing the power output a little - as long as that does not make the car unreliable in the long haul.
I dont know why you say 65bhp is too little! I drove one before the current MPFI and found it more than adequate in all respects: never tried with AC on ofcourse.

You should keep your eyes open for a good well maintained piece, MPFI or otherwise.\

What is your budget BTW?
Old 14th January 2010, 23:52   #70
Senior - BHPian

@predatorwheelz and NOS Power

I totally agree with what you guys state. MPFIs in good condition are a rare sight and at a right price. I checked out in Mumbai, a 6-7 year old MPFI (2001 2002 2003 models) are priced at 3 Lakhs in stock condition, then add the cost of mods which might take you up a lakh more.

But the childhood dream of owning a Gypsy and after seeing in TBHP that i am not the only crazy guy loving Gypsys, i have sold my WagonR last week and now hunting for a MPFI.

Hope to get one soon and all the best to you on your search. WIll follow your thread

Cheers
Old 15th January 2010, 16:07   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Ok, to answer all questions. First, I'm looking for an MPFi Gypsy in a shoestring budget, and at that budget an army discard is all I can afford. However, this has proved the elusive unicorn. MPFis are simply not available at army auctions. The few civilian examples I see are ridiculously priced.
As you yourself said: elusive as a unicorn. ie. Non-existent. i made repeated trips to Secunderabad and even the depot in pune where army vehicles are *err* serviced before they are sent to the auction depot. I use the term "serviced" loosely: basically the vehicles are stripped of the newer components which are replaced by parts nearing the end of their service life.

I know the army auction process very well. A very very close relative of mine was director of the place where army vehicles are sent for servicing and marked out for the auction block. The best Army Gypsies are those that are kept aside for personal use by the Commandant or his family: usually Hard Top with plush interiors(the kind i went to school in)! And these pieces never reach the auction block being marked off for sale to a favorite insider.

All the vehicles that reach the auction block are of questionable quality and require EXTENSIVE rework to get to a fair degree of reliability. If you are looking for a "project" vehicle to work on and build from the ground up, then by all means go ahead. If you are looking for a long distance tourer with RELIABILITY, and one that will LAST, then an army auction gypsy is certainly NOT the way to go.

I understand fully where you are going with the project Nomad: my own Gypsy is undergoing that process as i type this. I have already fitted a hard top, got customisations done which allows me to bunk down and sleep in the vehicle at nights etc: in short a mini-RV. Being new and self-maintained, i can be assured of its reliability to a larger degree than i would be with an army auction vehicle.

Just my Rs. 2.
Old 16th January 2010, 06:49   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUGAR View Post
I have already fitted a hard top, got customisations done which allows me to bunk down and sleep in the vehicle at nights etc: in short a mini-RV. Being new and self-maintained, i can be assured of its reliability to a larger degree than i would be with an army auction vehicle.

Just my Rs. 2.
Hey COUGAR
Can you please upload pictuers of this customisation which allows you to bunk down and sleep!!!
Thanks
Old 16th January 2010, 10:58   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
Hey COUGAR
Can you please upload pictuers of this customisation which allows you to bunk down and sleep!!!
Thanks
The Gypsy is my primary car and I dont/cant leave it for extended periods at a fitters place. So the mods are going in one at a time and often there is a gap of weeks in between.

Right now I am looking for a high density foam mats 8mm for the floor and 4mm for the side walls and have narrowed down on a supplier in Bhosari for the same. After which the rear sofa-cum-bed seat will go in. After the last dry run in Mayureshwar, the rear seat has been sent out for changes.

I have been taking pics as i make each of the mods. But i plan to put them up in a single thread later on.

In Feb: AC fitting and the long delayed Carputer.

Last edited by COUGAR : 16th January 2010 at 11:00.
Old 16th January 2010, 14:17   #74
Senior - BHPian

OK I thought that you have already put in the bunk customisation i n the Gypsy!!!

With regards to the carputer, dont you think that the gypsys suspension will be a little to hard for the hard disk!
Old 17th January 2010, 10:03   #75
Senior - BHPian

@predatorwheelz,

There are a couple of Gypsy's on sale in the tbhp marketplace. They both seem to be in immaculate condition (one in red and the other in white). Both of them have an A/C fitted.

Team-BHP Classifieds - Gypsy King 2000 model for sale - Powered by PhotoPost Classifieds

added one link, if interested you can dig up the other one too.

The reason I said this was because you will have to spend close to nothing on the cars (CFL's etc. are going to be additional costs anyhow).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks