Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th November 2009, 22:39   #31
Senior - BHPian

Part 3: Car Booking

OK, now that I had convinced my parents about the Gypsy, I started enquiring about Gypsy with dealers like Pratham Motors, Bimal Auto and Mandovi Motors. The various replies I heard were like:
  • Gypsy is no longer available at all Saarrrr
  • Why do you want to buy a Gypsy Saaarrrr? Why don’t you simply buy a Swift?
  • This was the clincher, Maruti has signed an agreement with the Indian Army that they would not be selling Gypsy (an Army vehicle) to general public.
In spite of all this, when i insisted on a Gypsy, they told me that it is not available. Some tried to scare me with mentioning long waiting times. So, gave all of these dealers a pass. I don’t mean that these are not good dealers. They definitely are, with other Maruti cars. But somehow, they did not show much interest with selling a Gypsy. Infact, one of the sales advisor told me that by selling a Gypsy, their dealership would not be making any profit. Again, do not know how true this statement is.

Anyway, I called up Sagar finally. To make it work, I decided that I would group Gypsy and my wife’s cars together. So, I told my sales advisor at Sagar that I plan to buy 2 cars, one an Alto LXI and another a Gypsy My sales advisor tried convincing me to go for a swift (one last time) mentioning about the long waiting times on Gypsy, its bad ride quality, no power steering, lack of availability of spares etc etc.,. Thank god, my mom wasn’t anywhere around. (Had she been around, I would be writing an ownership report on a swift today). I gave away my Fusion at the true value center of Sagar and that amount worked as the initial deposit for Gypsy. With that, the booking was done and the delivery time promised by my sales advisor was 2 months. Absolutely no discount/accessories offered.
Old 9th November 2009, 22:46   #32
Senior - BHPian

Deepak,

I hope your mother does not read these posts!
Old 9th November 2009, 22:58   #33
Senior - BHPian

Part 4: Booking to Delivery

Some things helped me speed up the delivery. I list them down.
  • In one of the threads in 4x4 & Off-Roading, a fellow member mentioned that he could help us with a contact in Maruti, Delhi. I shot off a PM to him and this kind member promptly replied back with name, contact number and email id of a person who is working at Maruti in Delhi. (We call him Maruti_Delhi)
  • Wrote an email to this person working at Maruti asking for help. He replied back assuring me of help/support and also copied his mail to a person working at Maruti, Bangalore.
  • After about an hour of receiving this mail, I get a call from this person working at Maruti, Bangalore (We call him Maruti_Bangalore)
  • One of my office colleague’s relative being the manager at Sagar Automobiles.
For about 2 weeks, did not hear anything at all from the dealer. In this 2 weeks, I contacted Maruti_Delhi and Maruti_Bangalore a couple of times. Finally decided to call up the dealer and find out the status of my vehicle. While talking to the dealer, I did mention to him that I know a person in Maruti_Delhi. Knowing somebody at Maruti is always helpful. Whatever your dealer says, you can always cross check the same with Maruti if that’s true and when your dealer knows that you know somebody in Maruti, you are not hoodwinked. Knowing the sales manager at Sagar was a further plus.

Basically there was no drama from the dealer other than the color that I’ve mentioned in my reply to Rudra Sir. Since the hard top on Gypsy is always in white now, and my vehicle also being a hard top, I wasn’t ok with buying a white vehicle. (How I wish we were offered the white Gypsy with the old grey hard top). So, I chose Bright Red color. This was changed to Harvest Green. This happens to be a metallic color and hence 4K extra on the price. Dealer kept changing the color every second day until I finally agreed on white. After this, there were no more calls from the dealer for about another 2 weeks. Spoke to Maruti_Delhi after 2 weeks and he promised to get me a Harvest Green Gypsy by end of October. On the same day (Friday), I get a call from the dealer that the vehicle shall be put on a truck in the night and it is RED!

Dealer explains that the initial order was red and somehow Maruti did not update it to Green and asks me if Red is ok or if I would wait for green. I confirmed the dealer that am ok with red. Dealer tells me that the car should be in showroom by Tuesday/Wednesday. I call up the dealer on Tuesday and Wednesday and no answer. So, I call up Maruti_Bangalore and he tells me that due to rains, the roads are in a bad shape and so, the truck has been parked at Maharashtra. But Maruti_Bangalore tells me that he shall try to get the vehicle loaded on a train to Bangalore. Finally, I get a call from my dealer on Friday evening that the vehicle has reached the yard at Yeshvanthapur. After spending the longest and sleepless night, I got up on Saturday morning and ran to the dealer to see my car.

This is how he was..
Attached Thumbnails
Brand new MG413W. EDIT : King completes 20000 kms-maruti_gypsy_01.jpg  

Last edited by starter : 9th November 2009 at 22:59.
starter is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2009, 01:10   #34
BHPian

Starter,

A few more pics would be really appreciated & whats the on-road price ??
Old 10th November 2009, 05:19   #35
BHPian

Congratulations
Pls post few more pics
Old 10th November 2009, 07:47   #36
BHPian

Deepak,

Congrats on making your childhood dream come true!!!

Rajesh
Old 10th November 2009, 09:33   #37
Senior - BHPian

That machine looks pure pleasure and fun, Congrats man, it doesn't get any better than this.
Old 10th November 2009, 09:54   #38
Senior - BHPian

It looks RED hot. Green color was not displayed online, is the color available? Love the green one.

AC: You can get an after market Sunden brand,proved to be working well. Remember to upgrade to a bigger radiator to avoid overheating. A copper radiator will do the job or install a additional fan to the radiator, that would be more economical.
But if you are going to use as hardcore machine then AC is not necessary. Spend that money on CFL, will definitely improve the ride quality.

Last edited by Ramsagar : 10th November 2009 at 09:59.
Old 10th November 2009, 10:18   #39
BANNED

Congrats on your new Gypsy dude, though I have seen it in flesh, would love to see a few more pics online.. looks flamboyant in red
Old 10th November 2009, 12:49   #40
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on your new ride dude and a nice write up too!!!

Looks great in Red! Do they they also sell maroon, but red look stunningly good!!!

May the 4's be with you, always!!!
Old 10th November 2009, 13:19   #41
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on your new acquisition, Some more pics please...
Old 10th November 2009, 14:35   #42
BHPian

Congrats on the Gypsy, Starter. I've owned two of them before but recently tried driving one- let's just say, it was different. Now am too spoilt by power steering, power windows, ac etc..

Coz of the leaf springs, it's really bouncy on good, paved roads, but give it a dirt road and steep inclines, nothing (except maybe the Pajero and the short wheelbase Jeep) will come close.

Looks good in Red.
Old 10th November 2009, 15:41   #43
BHPian

Congrates Starter, youve made a bold decision. And it looks real hot in that red! Enjoy your car.

Will agree with Ramsagar, ride quality should get precedence over AC retrofitting.
Old 10th November 2009, 16:41   #44
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Good colour choice,
A decision of the heart
OTR Price and Interior snaps next.
Old 10th November 2009, 16:49   #45
Senior - BHPian

Deepak,

Great first photos of your Gypsy! Remember the first time I caught a glimpse of my ride, all red and was being given a wash!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks