Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th November 2009, 16:48   #16
Senior - BHPian

Wow, pretty neat condition for such a abused vehicle. I actually never thought a FJ is so close to a CJ (drive train wise). Looks like Toyota was intending to make a copy of the CJ. How do you plan to sort out the rust? Full Sand blast & Tinker her upto perfect condition? Or just do a simple putty job to cover the rust?
Old 17th November 2009, 22:44   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
Wow, pretty neat condition for such a abused vehicle. I actually never thought a FJ is so close to a CJ (drive train wise). Looks like Toyota was intending to make a copy of the CJ. How do you plan to sort out the rust? Full Sand blast & Tinker her upto perfect condition? Or just do a simple putty job to cover the rust?

Actually TLC FJ40 is much bigger vehicle than it looks in the picture. I will have to take picture along side the CJ3B to show the scale.

I will be taking few parts brand new or from other donor vehicles and of course tinkering as well. No putty job dude.

Here is the LSD/Locker differential from front differntial housing which was removed by previous owner. I still need to find a suitable axles for this differential.

My Toyota Landcruiser FJ40-image081.jpg
Old 18th November 2009, 17:18   #18
Senior - BHPian

This is what we call it as a great possession!!

How much did you own it for?
B14 eng will be the best bet, other Qualis & Innova engs are difficult to find. If found, one would end up paying more than the cost of the whole vehicle. Think abt the cost involved in transplant & other stuff etc.
Old 18th November 2009, 18:59   #19
BHPian

Congratulations Siva !! Will be following this thread religiously for updates on the FJ.
Old 19th November 2009, 01:11   #20
Senior - BHPian

Thank you friends.

As all you said it is prized possession, there were couple of goodies came along with the FJ40. Those were the front differential (picture shown in the above post), spare wheel, Toyota's original wheel spanner, the removed original data plate (bit damaged condition but I still celebrate it)

My Toyota Landcruiser FJ40-image095.jpg

I'm yet to receive the steering column and wheel from the seller as he stated he had it somewhere.

I've just moved the FJ40 from my apartment parking to another closed parking lot about 20kms far of from where we stay now.

However my search for all the known missing parts and DCM Toyota's B14 engine have been initiated.

What I have found in my 2 days search are the followings:

1. A good top (original)
2. Second set of front bench seats (though mine is good, just going to keep it as spare)
3. Rear lift open door

There are few new parts promised by the local dealer which I will be getting it in a 3 weeks time.

The FJ40 restoration will be initiated upon getting all the parts required, hence I'm sure this is going to be a long lasting thread.
Old 19th November 2009, 01:36   #21
BHPian

We all envy you Siva . The more I look at your FJ the more I envy you. .

Jokes apart congrats on your new parts/accesories find. Where on earth you find all these parts man? When we all struggle to find parts for Maruti 800 and Gypsies you go around for two days and come back with stuff like a Mahindra Classic, CJ3B, FJ40 and extra hard top for FJ40 LSD for FJ , extra seats spare rear door for FJ!! Unbeliievable!!
Old 19th November 2009, 01:45   #22
Senior - BHPian

I thought you know the answer already.

Here is a story from the past, I was looking for a Hi-Lift jack to be part of my recovery kit. Searching around the country and found Ozone in Bangalore stocks and sells them. When I contacted the dealer, they said stock is over. With great disappointment I called one of my friend who lives in Dubai and he stated he will bring it in a week's time and same thing was in my hands within a weeks time.

So, the answer for your question is that I have good number of friends around to help me getting my dreams to come true.

Last edited by trammway : 19th November 2009 at 01:47.
Old 19th November 2009, 15:17   #23
BHPian

Congrats Trammway!!

Excellent purchase. This THE thread to watch now. All the best in your restoration.
Old 19th November 2009, 15:54   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSlow View Post
Congrats Trammway!!

Excellent purchase. This THE thread to watch now. All the best in your restoration.
That is the reason I've given 5star to this thread Trammway
Old 21st November 2009, 12:26   #25
Senior - BHPian

Just got a call from the seller who sold the FJ40 to me that, he found the missing steering wheel of FJ40. Asked me to collect when I visit him next time.

I also understood from his discussion that, he cut the steering colum off from the steering box leaving the original spline or milling inside the steering box and re-welding it with standard 2000's steering column. Hence the steering column and column pipes needs to be changed to install the steering wheel.

I hope this is not going to be a major job.
Old 21st November 2009, 12:39   #26
Senior - BHPian

Wow.This is going to be a good thread to watch out for. Love the Fj.looks uber cool.
Cant wait to see her all done.
All the best Tramway.
Old 7th December 2009, 14:05   #27
Senior - BHPian

Finally the original steering wheel of my FJ40 has reached home. Here is the picture of the same. I'm still yet to find the horn button and steering column etc.

My Toyota Landcruiser FJ40-image158.jpg
Old 7th December 2009, 14:35   #28
BANNED

Siva ,you drove this FJ all the way from ooty?

Getting seats for the FJ would have been a tough task i guess.Will closely follow this thread ans also inform you if i see any donor FJs
Old 7th December 2009, 14:53   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshguy View Post
Siva ,you drove this FJ all the way from ooty?

Getting seats for the FJ would have been a tough task i guess.Will closely follow this thread ans also inform you if i see any donor FJs
Hi Joshguy,

I'm not at all looking for the seats as I have already sourced it. Also I drove the FJ from Kancheepuram not from Ooty, please see my post below:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...ml#post1584537

But I need lots of other parts such as front propeller shaft, axle, steering column, lights, Door knobs/knobs/pads/levers, Transfer case lever, Rear decals, Reflectors and 2H engine or DCM Toyota's 14-B etc.
Old 8th December 2009, 19:04   #30
BHPian

sorry mate i could not get my hands on a 2h in delhi but i might be travelling soon to nepal for few parts for my FJ62,i think it would be easy to find various engine options there as lot of toyotas still ploy in nepal.will let you know soon about my plan.

regards

mandeep

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks