Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th November 2009, 23:47   #16
Senior - BHPian

Dear Spitfire,
Nice thread. I still think that you should get your classic here
Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
Where is it now? Or do you still plan to miss out? There is a OTR this Sunday. Why don't you join in -- should be fun.
Hey Shahnawaz,
There is a OTR this Sunday? Where is it and is the trail too tough? Thanks for this information.

Cheers,
Deepak
Old 14th November 2009, 01:03   #17
Senior - BHPian

Aha I wonder how I missed out this intresting thread? Come on folks Cheer up!! we all are jeepers by heart and we have our attitude as our jeeps STRONG AND STURDY nothing can move/change us. This makes us MEN our of BOYS. Cheers!!
Old 14th November 2009, 12:35   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Hey Shahnawaz,
There is a OTR this Sunday? Where is it and is the trail too tough? Thanks for this information.

Cheers,
Deepak
Yes Deepak.

Chikkabellapur trail.....good one....join

Raj

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Please take the time to use proper punctuation as per Team-BHP rules. Avoid...typing...like...this. Thanks.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 14th November 2009 at 18:14.
Old 14th November 2009, 12:53   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravveendrra View Post

BTW it is now politically correct to be in touch with ones "feminine side". Metrosexual Jeeps anyone?
Cheers,
No sir, not me.

I would like a bit of wind and sand on my face. I wouldn't mind my hands getting rough on the steering too.

Last edited by beejay : 14th November 2009 at 12:56.
Old 14th November 2009, 18:05   #20
GTO
Team-BHP Support

People who like my Jeep:
- Me
- Mum, Dad & siblings
- Absolute strangers on the road
- Women (first time ride)

People who don't like my Jeep (or don't see the point):
- Extended family
- Friends
- Women (2nd time onward)

When my Jeep came home, the first thing Dad told me was "You'll sell it after 6 months". It was / is harsh, didn't have an air-con then and very basic. He's had more than his share of "Look Dad, 12 years up and I'm still driving her"

When I wanted to get my Jeep back on the road (after the 1.8 petrol debacle), even a Mahindra service advisor told me "Are you nuts? Why waste all that time and money. Sell her off". But I got a brand new engine & got her back on the road anyways.

Priceless : Driving an absolutely unique Jeep on the road. I mean, no one can walk into a showroom and buy a pristine Classic. The only reason she is on the road today is due to a lot of time, effort & moolah.

Uber Priceless : Offroading in a short wheel base Jeep. Superb capability even in stock form. She can make average skilled drivers look good on an OTR. Very forgiving in 4x4 mode.

But yes, like you said, its a 4x4 thing. Other people wont understand.

Last edited by GTO : 14th November 2009 at 18:06.
Old 15th November 2009, 02:25   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by propeller View Post
" Wife " very good at " (this is 2 birds in one stone statement, if you can get it ) "

This happened to me nine months ago -

My Wife first question was Where will you park it .

When Girl becomes wife - East become West !!!
Hi Buddy..

This thread reminds me of my initial days. I started off with a RE 350, as my mom insisted I am not to ever ride shiny plastic toys (thats what she used to call them), and I was in Class VI. By the time I graduated to 4x4's she was gone to her maker. But no one objected. Once I touched 25, it became obvious.. I have two choices either to run away from the country to be free (read Wild as per my Dad) or give up everything and settle down develop a paunch and drop my kids on my hatchback (not many people I have met back home can differentiate between hatchback,sedan and saloon.. that's why I am here ) I chose the former and ran away. My Dad being so resourceful he is, set up a date for me on one of my home trips, with a real progressive girl (Quote-Unquote She is real modern Deep, even drives her own car). I drove up in a cj3b and that was enough to close it . I am still happy with my 4x4's. Good luck with your convincing project. Phew !!

Cheers !!

Deep
Old 15th November 2009, 10:11   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtremedeep View Post

...... can differentiate between hatchback,sedan and saloon..
Erm, what is the difference between a sedan and a saloon. AFAIK, Saloon is the Brit term for it while Sedan is the American term for it. Both referring to cars with a notchback or fastback in the 3 box shape or an approximation of it, while a hatchback is one with a truncated boot (2 box shape) and the whole of the rear (including windshield) opens. While we are at it a station wagon and an estate are the same. Sorry .

Cheers,
Old 15th November 2009, 11:04   #23
BHPian

Living with leafer Land Rovers

This is taken from Internet Land Rover Club, therefore due credit and thanks to them for a wonderful site and insight.

Sir Alec, you would love this.

YOU KNOW YOU OWN A LAND ROVER WHEN:
* When you occasionally find rust flakes in your ears.
* If you keep these strange Imperial-thread bolts in your pocket in case the dashboard falls off.
* If WD40 has a higher priority on the household budget than milk.
* When your husband starts referring to you as "my ex-", although you are still married.
* If your bathtub bears a sign: "Not suitable for engine blocks".
* When you dream of burned Lucas electrics when your wife smokes a cigarette in bed
* If even Essex girls turn you down after they`ve seen your car.
* If 10 lbs of of prime top soil fall on the tarmac when you smack your door shut
* If you store K&N air filter cleaning liquid under the kitchen sink because you need it so often
* When you drive in shorts in the flemish winter to avoid wet jeans.
* If nobody parks next to you on a Saturday supermarket parking lot
* If only the African immigrants greet you in town
* If your kitchen table shows marks of engine blocks.
* When you can't find any clothes without battery acid holes or engine oil stains
* If you wonder why it smells so funny if you throw a cig butt on the floor of a rental car
* If you start every conversation in the vehicle with "one, two, test" to check the intercom
* When even Russians don't believe your truck is only 20 years old
* When there are more tools in the truck than in your house
* If you think it's essential to carry 20 litres of water at all times, even in Belgium
* If the only two shops you know in town are the parts dealer and the tool shop
* When you decide on weekend plans in bed and the alternatives are grease-up or fix the radiator
* If you buy rear mirrors in bulk at the farmer's union shop
* When the GPS in your vehicle has the main purpose to replace the speedo and odometer
* When you are surprised that the M.O.T. mentions the condition of your seats in the report
* If you wonder why the moss in your truck's inner window sills is greener than your lawn
* When you are used to switch off headlights before indicating right because they interfere
* If all your jacket pockets and belt loops are torn by LR door locks
* When you find a gas evaporator between salt and pepper in the kitchen
* When a Russian women observes 'these are not women's hands' and someone adds 'just don't ask her what she has been repairing this time...'
* When your friends steal imperial sockets for you as a wedding present
* When your handbag contains pliers, multimeter, Swisstool, insulation tape, 30 amps fuses, compass, imperial bolts and a torch
* If you only dare to use the coin operated car wash on a dark Sunday night
* If friends don't want you to show up in the afternoon because they got visitors but then they call you at 8 AM on a Sunday morning when they're stuck in the forest.
* when other girls give you a 1 1/8" socket as a present -and they know you love it!
Old 15th November 2009, 22:27   #24
BHPian

Tooo good!

Laughing my guts out!
Great thread!+++++++++++++++++
Old 16th November 2009, 00:50   #25
Senior - BHPian

virgin powder snow

I was coming north on I-77 in West Virginia near Beckley in 1995, trying to make it home to Ohio from a week long I.T. stint at a remote site. It was late Saturday morning. All that previous night and early morning West Virginia was hit with a rare heavy snowfall which dumped 20 inches of white powder over the mountain ridges. The weather forecasters did not see it coming and I got caught in the middle of it. The police closed all the roads including the one I was on. The closure was done by announcements on radio and TV as the weather was so severe the police did not dare venture out on the roads in their 2 wheel drive cruisers to set barracades.

I had a 1994 Ford F150 4x4 pickup truck at the time. It had brand new over-sized BFGoodrich ATs, a 351 cubic inch V8 making 250bhp, performance chip, cat-back free flow exhaust, dual fuel tanks and LSD among other things. It got colder and the snow got deeper as I proceded north and I began to be concerned as there were hardly any other vehicles on this divided, limited access super highway. I figured the people who were not there knew something that I didn't know. I neared a truck stop near Charleston and called for information on my 2 way citizen band radio. Truckers told me that the weather got worse going north, all the hotels were full, people were sleeping in the lobbies on the floor. Donut shops and restaurants were also full of floor sleepers and they were all sold out of food. Power lines were down in some places. The road was closed but there was no place to go. I had plenty of fuel and utter faith in the deep bass rumble coming from my steady motor that was loafing along effortlessly so I decided to stay on the road and try for home. I continued north of Charleston and the snow let up a bit and visibility cleared. Then I had one of those magical mystical states of being, the perfect ride. I was by myself. The powder snow was virgin, nobody was out there on the road to lay down ruts. There was hardly any road noise from the carpet of fine powder and hardly a bump as the snow dampened noise and jolts. The sun broke out here and there. I looked in my rear view mirror and I was putting out a huge brilliant white plume of powder behind me like a jet contrail. I drove for many miles on a deep plush carpet of powder snow as I was the first one through. This went on for some time. I ocassionally felt a little slip, a little fish tail but I never came close to getting stuck or to losing control. Then I got a call on my radio. "Hey, Ford pickup, slow down a bit will you. We can't keep up with you." I slowed down and the rearward plume abated enough so that I could see out my rear view mirrow. There, behind me, was a gaggle of 50 big trucks and busses who had waited in truck stops and on entrances for someone to go by so that they could follow and take advantage of someone 'breaking trail' for them. Refugees from the supposed refuges. I continued north, the weather got better and better. I hit dry pavement at the Ohio border and put the pedal to the metal to blast down the road 3 more hours to home. I pulled in at sunset. I got a cup of hot coffee and turned on the TV to watch the weather report of the big storm that paralyzed West Virginia and the mid-atlantic states.

I had owned 3 or 4 four wheel drive vehicles before this 1994 Ford, including the Bronco in my avatar. I was already sold on 4 wheel drive. But that Saturday ride through West Virginia was the ride of a lifetime. I guess you could say I am hooked.

Last edited by DirtyDan : 16th November 2009 at 00:57.
Old 16th November 2009, 01:37   #26
BHPian

It starts even before its bought!!

Haha. This is a good thread.

In my case it started even before i have bought the jeep!! In my line of work I end up on an average 6 months in a year in bangalore.. I still havent bought my 4x4 yet and it took me like 2 months to convince my wife why I needed a jeep, a second car as she put it, espiceally when i am in bangalore only half the year!!
Its not about the second car or vechile but i need it simply because its a JEEP!! they just dont get it!! and yes the parking problem issue always crops up!!
Old 16th November 2009, 08:51   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
I was coming north ................ I guess you could say I am hooked.
Nicely narrated Dan. Loved it. Don't see too many capable 4x4s here with adequate weather protection.

Last edited by jyobeb : 16th November 2009 at 08:53.
Old 16th November 2009, 11:36   #28
Senior - BHPian

Great thread Spitfire. Brilliant narration. Best of luck on convincing Mrs Spitfire man.

Dan that was one awesome narration man. You might have been like santaclaus for those people following you man. How does this radio thing work. Is it some common frequency you have to tune into? Kudos on your guts to go ahead man
Old 16th November 2009, 11:54   #29
BANNED

HEY!! Looks like the thread has caught on. When i started it I was sure there were going to be a lot of interesting reads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shishir_bn View Post
people don't know what a classic is.
Trust me people do know what a Classic is. Just that they know it for the wrong reasons. 85% of them are used for attracting the birds.

The rest 15% are made of folks like us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beejay View Post
My face was like, WHAT SAY NOW, DAD?
Ha ha something similiar here. My dad has gone from "its taking up parking space unneccassarily" to "park it under the covered area, it doesn't have a top". He has slowly started liking it, but still wont drive it though.

Quote:
Forget getting a proper Jeep, when I wanted to buy a Safari 4 X 4
When i went in for the Bolero, though not a 4x4. My colleagues at work sneered saying you will be waved down by labourers on Outer Ring Road to get a ride.

But a Bolero standing in a boys hostel among sundry 2 wheelers was a sight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beejay View Post
So whats this for now, to get the school chicks to look at you, Is it?
In Goa, i need to pass a couple of colleges before getting home. Everytime I used to pass by in the Classic. I used to see all conversations stop and heads turning in my direction. Oh and girls just love it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
my wifey loves the Gypsy
My wife loves the Classic too. For the few days after marraige we went around only in the Classic. But her practical side of life has kicked in and being in Blore she prefers the Bolero.

In Goa, she won't step in any other car. Its only the Classic.

Quote:
Where is it now? Or do you still plan to miss out? There is a OTR this Sunday. Why don't you join in -- should be fun.
Still in Goa. I was out of town this weekend. Would have really liked to have come. Also as a principle i don't drive somebody else's vehicle unless really necessary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by H3LIOS View Post
I feel your pain buddy,
And i thought, I was the only one suffering. I am feeling better now. He he.

The battles have started for the Bullet Classic (oh a coincidence) now.
Wife: What? another bike?
Me: Its a Bullet. I don't have a Bullet.
Wife: I am sure another 99 million Indians atleast, don't have one.
Me: But, I always wanted one.
Wife: So which one are you selling to get this one?
Me: Selling?
Wife: Selling amongst the one's you already have? RX100?
Me: No, no. Can't sell that one. Its a legend now.
Wife: RD350? Another one lying in Goa.
Me: No. I cant sell that one. Too many tears and blood lost on that one.
Wife: So its the CBZ then.
Me: Thats my dads gift. I cant sell that.
Wife: No Classic then.
Me: But??
Wife: We will talk later. Now get some diapers for the baby.
Me: grumble, grumble. Where have you kept them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaraka View Post
Wondered about the smaller lever next to gear lever.
Ah. That lever reminds me on another story. After i got the Classic.

ClulessFriend: What is that lever for?
Me: Engaging 4x4.
ClulessFriend: What do you mean engaging?
Me: To send drive all the wheels..blah..blah..
ClulessFriend: Where is it in my Esteem?
Me:

Dwarak sir your gypsy is one of a kind. Please get it painted. It would look amazing.

Quote:
Metrosexual Jeeps anyone?
NO NO. PLEASE NO. I have a tough time telling some metrosexuals in office that my hairstyle is not an "Out of Bed Look". Its natural. I never cared anyways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by propeller View Post
(this is 2 birds in one stone statement, if you can get it ) "
Ha ha ha. Its a gifted species.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
Now ours is just Ulta.
You folks are from the hills. You guys blong to a different breed. And trust me each one of us guys from the plains envy your machines and the terrain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by starter View Post
I still think that you should get your classic here
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
Brilliant narration. Best of luck on convincing Mrs Spitfire man.
Plan is to go an get it and take care of the problems later. He he. Ofcourse the wife doesn't get to know until it reaches here.

PS: No she doesn't login to Team-Bhp yet. He he.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Priceless : Driving an absolutely unique Jeep on the road.
Add to it. Driving one wearing a tie and formal clothes with no doors and no protection in Bangalore traffic.

And then the look on the security guys face when he had to check the car when i drove into EGL.

Security: (Waving me to proceed)
Me: Check nahi karoga?
Security: Sara to khulla hai. Check kya karna hai. Aap Jao.
Me: (Broad Smile)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtremedeep View Post
I drove up in a cj3b and that was enough to close it
Whoa.. nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyer_made View Post
This is taken from Internet Land Rover Club,
I think its about ladies driving LRs. Nice one though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
I guess you could say I am hooked.
Ah.. what a revelation. Was great reading it. I am sure you have more to pen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgnishanth View Post
Its not about the second car or vechile but i need it simply because its a JEEP!!
And then you take it Offroad. And then you know for sure "WHY JEEP?". Get one we only live once anyways.

Sorry for the long post. The replies kept coming in and i thought i will wait for a lull to add more.

Last edited by Spitfire : 16th November 2009 at 11:56.
Old 16th November 2009, 12:19   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
...Trust me people do know what a Classic is. Just that they know it for the wrong reasons. 85% of them are used for attracting the birds.....

In Goa, i need to pass a couple of colleges before getting home. Everytime I used to pass by in the Classic. I used to see all conversations stop and heads turning in my direction. Oh and girls just love it.
Mhm mhm.. come on man, admit that attracting birds is a bonus of having a classic and you love/loved it . He he

Quote:
I was out of town this weekend. Would have really liked to have come. Also as a principle i don't drive somebody else's vehicle unless really necessary.
So what!! You could have helped in spotting and guiding though the trails:-).

Quote:

Dwarak sir your gypsy is one of a kind. Please get it painted. It would look amazing.
. Oh man, he just got it painted recently :-)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks