Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 17th November 2009, 13:02   #61
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
100 is also an optimistic number.
Bang on.

Lets consider it this way, assuming it would find two segments.

1.Those who NEED it, rural areas and estates where some of their daily driving demands 4x4.
2.Those who DESIRE it, pure off roaders.

Considering that most of the rural areas and estates now have tarmac roads, will it be able to sell there?
Some of the estate managers here in Coonoor, do their rounds in 2WD Scorpios and they are quite content with it as they are also able to use the same for their daily and family needs.

Those who desire it,
As Samurai mentioned earlier, how many of us would want to buy a 7L vehicle only for pure off roading?
Old 17th November 2009, 13:40   #62
Senior - BHPian

No demand?

Quote:
Originally Posted by beejay View Post
Bang on.

Lets consider it this way, assuming it would find two segments.

1.Those who NEED it, rural areas and estates where some of their daily driving demands 4x4.
2.Those who DESIRE it, pure off roaders.

Considering that most of the rural areas and estates now have tarmac roads, will it be able to sell there?
Some of the estate managers here in Coonoor, do their rounds in 2WD Scorpios and they are quite content with it as they are also able to use the same for their daily and family needs.

Those who desire it,
As Samurai mentioned earlier, how many of us would want to buy a 7L vehicle only for pure off roading?
There was so much gaga about the wishlist thread and every one shared and demanded that this vehicle must go under production. What happened now? Why is that the market suddenly disappears when the vehicle is available? We are talking of figures of just about 100? This is the precise reason why companies dont launch lifestyle products here. Every body just wishes but no body put their money down.

I beg to differ on market for this vehicle. I see the following areas where this vehicle would sell in India-
1. Mainly law enforcement agencies who need a short and powerful vehicle that they can use it where Bolero is cumbursome to use. This vehicle can be sold in 2wd form

2. Personal segment that bought Invader/ Gypsy for thier estate/ off roading purposes

3. Urban crowd for those to whom retro-style matters.

I predict this vehicle to do a steady number of 600-700 units every month. If Mahindra is too skeptic about the market of this vehicle they can launch it as a limited edition version like Legend.

They need to bring that SUV image to this vehicle and that would bring personal segment customers to it. If it is sold as another Major or a commander then the numbers would be limited to just government agencies
Old 17th November 2009, 13:44   #63
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I would not if its for a basic vehicle, rather buy a brand new gypsy.

Thats why i said even for pakka offroad audience, it will be hard decision at 5 lakh OTR, 6 lakhs OTR will see another 50% dropping the plans and sitting and sulking!
Old 17th November 2009, 13:54   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post
There was so much gaga about the wishlist thread and every one shared and demanded that this vehicle must go under production. What happened now? Why is that the market suddenly disappears when the vehicle is available? We are talking of figures of just about 100? This is the precise reason why companies dont launch lifestyle products here. Every body just wishes but no body put their money down.

I beg to differ on market for this vehicle. I see the following areas where this vehicle would sell in India-
1. Mainly law enforcement agencies who need a short and powerful vehicle that they can use it where Bolero is cumbursome to use. This vehicle can be sold in 2wd form

2. Personal segment that bought Invader/ Gypsy for thier estate/ off roading purposes

3. Urban crowd for those to whom retro-style matters.

I predict this vehicle to do a steady number of 600-700 units every month. If Mahindra is too skeptic about the market of this vehicle they can launch it as a limited edition version like Legend.

They need to bring that SUV image to this vehicle and that would bring personal segment customers to it. If it is sold as another Major or a commander then the numbers would be limited to just government agencies
If one post of mine makes the market for a dream vehilcle of many, including me disapper, I must be something.

Vinod, I am not the person to project sales for a company like Mahindra. They have very competent people to do the same for them and I am sure they have done just that. This might be the reason why we are seeing it being tested here in India. Maybe there is a market. Its good news then.

All the people in the wishlist thread are prospective buyers. Or do you seriously think all of them would buy?

I for one strongly believe that it should be available here soon. So dont worry. Relax.

It would be great if someone is able to post the sales chart of the Classic and Legend here.
IMO, the Classic also to a certain extent catered to the lifestyle segment.
Old 17th November 2009, 14:00   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I would not if its for a basic vehicle, rather buy a brand new gypsy.

Thats why i said even for pakka offroad audience, it will be hard decision at 5 lakh OTR, 6 lakhs OTR will see another 50% dropping the plans and sitting and sulking!
This is sad. I dont see a 2.2 common rail Diesel with Scorpio aggregates, 4wd and p/s available less than 6.5 ex-showroom. I think even at his price it is value for money. I hope Behram sir is reading this. Pricing is crucial.

Quote:
It would be great if someone is able to post the sales chart of the Classic and Legend here.
IMO, the Classic also to a certain extent catered to the lifestyle segment.
Beejay,
I wasnt speaking about your post alone. I was speaking about general mentality and i perfectly understand that people who contributed to the wish list thread may or may not be the actual buyers including me, because there are lot of factors that come into buying a vehicle than just the vehicle itself.

Mahindra Classic died a slow death due to painfully low numbers by the end of 2003 as iam told. Legend was launched in limited numbers of about 60 numbers to mark 60th anniversary of Mahindra if iam not wrong. Was priced very high and iam told was given away by invitataion. Some say this was just a hype.

Lets hope Thar is launched in limited edition atleast.

Last edited by Jaggu : 17th November 2009 at 20:36. Reason: Back to back posts, use multi quote please.
Old 17th November 2009, 15:02   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

That's the only thing we can do at this juncture.

Mr. Behram is also not able to disclose much on print because of his professional capacity. However things are bright.

OT. Does anybody here have any idea on how many total units the CL340/Classic sold in the domestic market.

Last edited by beejay : 17th November 2009 at 15:04.
Old 17th November 2009, 16:07   #67
BHPian

Is Mahindra is officially launching THAR at Auto Expo 2010 or what ??
Last time they have shown AXE in Auto Expo.
We all 4WD lovers should expect something like this from Mahindra.
Old 17th November 2009, 18:35   #68
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
They came with the Classic but didnt sell as many as expected even though they potrayed it as a lifestyle in itself
The Classic didn't sell in the local market (was developed for exports anyways) as it is a HIGHLY impractical vehicle. Bare bones comfort levels, harsh ride quality and lack of interior space. I've gotten used to the drivers position but let me tell you, anyone over 5'7" will take a couple of weeks to get used to the lack of room. Its a two seater at best. The rear is popularly known as the mother in law seat for its bone jarring ride + zero space.

Of course, we offroaders love the SWB thanks to inherent advantages in 4x4 mode. But the market needs something more useable. The Thar is far more practical than the Classic. Real doors, way better ride quality, more interior room and can cruise on the highway at 140 (the Classic 80 -90 kph).

Quote:
The Mahindra Major with its ol' reworked engine is 5.5 - 6.0 on the road. Fat chance the Thar will debut at 6 OTR.
Old 17th November 2009, 18:46   #69
Team-BHP Support

They should simply discontinue Major and replace it with Thar with the same price. They will sell thousands of Thar, let alone struggle for 100.
Old 17th November 2009, 18:53   #70
BHPian

This is one fast jeep and as always the driver was in a tearing hurry all thoughout the expressway. I was in my Baleno and managed to keep up with him. He was stuck on 140kph for most part of the expressway and the most impressive was that the poise that she maintained at that speed. She was rock steady throughout despite weaving in n out of traffic. I am certain even my MPFI gypsy will be unable to keep up with both the sheer acceleration and the top speed of this baby.

I have 2 videos, not very great quality(taken from a BB) but my Desktop Manager software is playing up. Will post them soon.

Last edited by Samurai : 18th November 2009 at 20:22. Reason: PM sent
Old 17th November 2009, 19:00   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
They should simply discontinue Major and replace it with Thar with the same price. They will sell thousands of Thar, let alone struggle for 100.
Hope you were joking while saying this , You want Thar to be launched as entry level utility vehicle with Bolero storm aggregates? Isnt it asking for too much?
Old 17th November 2009, 19:07   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The Thar is far more practical than the Classic. Real doors, way better ride quality, more interior room and can cruise on the highway at 140 (the Classic 80 -90 kph).
This is exactly why I feel if we are able to determine how many units the Classic sold in total will enable us to understand at least an approximate figure for the the Thar, considering both cater to the lifestyle segment and the Thar being a more practical buy. This will give a vague picture of possible life style segment buyers in the country.
The price difference of the classic will be tallied by the practicality of the Thar to a certain extent.
Old 17th November 2009, 20:45   #73
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
This is sad. I dont see a 2.2 common rail Diesel with Scorpio aggregates, 4wd and p/s available less than 6.5 ex-showroom. I think even at his price it is value for money. I hope Behram sir is reading this. Pricing is crucial.
==============
Yup and i also wish its launched. This ex showroom price is a tricky one and most often the landed price (OTR) kills the deal :( Wonder why manufacturers dont have this in mind, while buyers cant keep it away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The Mahindra Major with its ol' reworked engine is 5.5 - 6.0 on the road. Fat chance the Thar will debut at 6 OTR.
I know but just hoping for a miracle, just!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Very good idea, give me a bare bone vehicle with Power Steering and disc brakes at 5-6 lakh ex showroom price please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by satan View Post
She was rock steady throughout despite weaving in n out of traffic. I am certain even my MPFI gypsy will be unable to keep up with both the sheer acceleration and the top speed of this baby.

I have 2 videos, not very great quality(taken from a BB) but my Desktop Manager software is playing up. Will post them soon.
Looking forward to seeing the video's and yes Gypsy cant do such high speeds, 80-90 is ok beyond that its "pray for your life". Good thing it wont climb lol

Quote:
Hope you were joking while saying this , You want Thar to be launched as entry level utility vehicle with Bolero storm aggregates? Isnt it asking for too much?
Even i have these wild thoughts running in my mind

Quote:
This will give a vague picture of possible life style segment buyers in the country.
The price difference of the classic will be tallied by the practicality of the Thar to a certain extent.
Yup it should give a vague idea, and my guess estimate if priced appropriate it should rake in decent numbers. Remember Gypsy is the competition, price it close and blow it off the map! ie if i was in M&M!
Old 17th November 2009, 21:18   #74
Senior - BHPian

THAR.
The Nilgri Thar. A mountain goat with inborn vertical travel abilities, unparalleled.
Surely the Mahindra Thar seems to be a good hibrid, built for today.
Been too long we have been trying and upgrading decade plus, 540's and 550's.
Many members have commented on this thread and most await the launch,
so do I.
When? Price? Whats inside?
Personally I feel if the pricing can be kept at 7.5L, it would be value for money. Any day!

Advantages:
New Generation Engine, suspension, chassis etc.
Finance/ Loan options.
Warranties.
Off the shelf.
(Too tired running about upgrading more 540's, 550's).
Regards,
Old 17th November 2009, 21:24   #75
Team-BHP Support

Wont this be a good vehicle for armed forces also? Thought came from Gypsy angle?

7.5 L? how many would want an open top offroad car at that price? i dont think there would be many in Indian market who would move from watching to booking after that
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks