Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 18th November 2009, 14:51   #1
Senior - BHPian

Found a Gypsy 2004?

Hi, after selling my beloved jeep I am extensively hunting for another 4x4. In that process I have come across this Gypsy, which I would like everyone to evaluate.

Details given by seller: It is a 2004 MPFI, done 19500 kms on odo, original hard top. It has got power steering, approved gas kit, A/C, garware sun film, new alloys, new tyres (265.60.R15), new battery, original paint and other cosmetics. I saw disk brakes in front and drum in rear. 4x4 intact. Seller asking for 4.25 L and not ready to negotiate more than 4.10 L

The seller has a cars-resale business and says it is his hobby to modify gypsy. He showed me few of his past projects too. He bought this Gypsy for 3.40 few months back (Stock) and developed it for his younger brother who has now gone to Australia. Here are the pics.

Found a Gypsy 2004?-imag0210.jpg

Found a Gypsy 2004?-image_002.jpg

Found a Gypsy 2004?-imag0212.jpg

Found a Gypsy 2004?-image_004.jpg

Found a Gypsy 2004?-image_005.jpg

Found a Gypsy 2004?-image_006.jpg

Name:  Image_007.jpg
Views: 2045
Size:  101.7 KB

Found a Gypsy 2004?-image_008.jpg

Found a Gypsy 2004?-image_009.jpg

Found a Gypsy 2004?-image_010.jpg

Found a Gypsy 2004?-image_011.jpg

Found a Gypsy 2004?-image_012.jpg

Found a Gypsy 2004?-image_013.jpg

Found a Gypsy 2004?-image_014.jpg

Found a Gypsy 2004?-image_015.jpg

Found a Gypsy 2004?-image_016.jpg

Found a Gypsy 2004?-image_017.jpg

Found a Gypsy 2004?-image_018.jpg

Found a Gypsy 2004?-image_019.jpg

1) Is it a good piece
2) Is the price correct or else how much it should be. (I am surprised to see him ask this much for a 2004 pcs)
3) Will it be good to travel with family
4) will it hace heating problem with so many things attached like AC and PS.
5) overall is it a good buy or not?

I took test drive. The engine was smooth, PS very good and effective, AC also effective, but it is already cold. There was some rattling noise from back which he told comes from hard top. What say?

PS: I see in the picture that the driver side sticker says MG410W but on the other side it was 413??
Old 18th November 2009, 15:31   #2
Senior - BHPian

Gypsy will not be comfortable vehicle for family use for long distances. Vehicle looks good except for the ladder and few bits here n there. Price i cannot comment as it is fairly loaded.
Old 18th November 2009, 15:49   #3
Senior - BHPian

Hi Yogesh,
Regarding your questions:

1) Is it a good piece
2) Is the price correct or else how much it should be. (I am surprised to see him ask this much for a 2004 pcs)
For both 1 & 2; Not sure. I personally think it is high.
3) Will it be good to travel with family
I don't think so. Those rear benches and horribly bouncy ride does not make it a good family vehicle. Maybe changing the springs to CFL might make it better. But still cannot compare it to Scoprio/Safari/such....
4) will it hace heating problem with so many things attached like AC and PS.
Mostly yes. But if it is a neatly done job, maybe not too.
5) overall is it a good buy or not?
Would be if the owner brings the price down. You take it for a longer spin and check for yourself if the engine is overheating and if the 4X4 tranny is all ok.

I took test drive. The engine was smooth, PS very good and effective, AC also effective, but it is already cold. There was some rattling noise from back which he told comes from hard top. What say?
No, my new Gypsy has no rattling from the hard top. Of course, there is a little squeaking sound from my front door.
PS: I see in the picture that the driver side sticker says MG410W but on the other side it was 413??
Don't worry about the sticker. The sticker that you see does not come originally. It is an add on. There is only one sticker that comes on the other side and am glad that it says 413.

Cheers,
Deepak

PS: Do i also see a gas kit inside?

Last edited by starter : 18th November 2009 at 15:57.
Old 18th November 2009, 15:55   #4
Senior - BHPian

Superb Condition for a 5 year vehicle... But do you want to pay 4.1L? 1.5L more you get a Brand new Gypsy. Even better, why dont you try delhi, I am sure you will get something cheaper in the same time period.
If your heart wants it, and OK with 4.1L, go for it. But I feel the price tooo high. I think 3iSh is more likely.
Old 18th November 2009, 16:03   #5
Team-BHP Support

Vehicle seems to be clean, that much i can tell you. Has a power steering and AC and rest of the add on's like alloys tires etc making it pricey. Its a 5 year old vehicle but since its done low kms, its going to be tough time bargaining. Since he is a dealer he wont be in no hurry to sell also.

One thing i can suggest is ask him to remove those oversize tires and alloys and give you stock rims and 215 radials instead. That should knock off 30 grand's.

One thing though, chuck out that gas contraption as soon as you buy it, ie if you do
Old 18th November 2009, 16:08   #6
Senior - BHPian

Maintained very well. But the price is high, he is charging for what he had installed on the vehicle.
Try to negotiate hard, though its on higher side, it cost you more do add the AC,PW steering & CNG kit for a new vehicle.
Not to forget the alloys & tries as well will cost you 50K. you can dispose the CNG kit and save some bucks.Sounds like a deal,but anyway check with MASS if there is any major set-back.

Last edited by Ramsagar : 18th November 2009 at 16:10.
Old 18th November 2009, 16:23   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Ym-enjn - would you travel with a 200 bar pressurized CNG cylinder (read as time bomb) sitting next to your family in your vehicle? See where the mixer is fitted. See how the CNG line is routed. You will never know how the engine parameters are set to run the car on CNG and you will constantly have to rely on garages, running around for nothing. Typical garage stuff. Also see the overall getup of the car. It is a typical "broker's for sale" car. See the wiring hanging below the ignition switch and the stereo. See the "so-called bling" alloys. Go knows who made them and what material they are using. See the "plastic cover" above the battery. Somebody did not even bother to remove it during assembly. see the battery mounting long bolts. Rusted. See the outside rear view mirrors and the "so called" roof lights. Typical accessory shop stuff which will just fall apart. My list can go on and on but I will end it here.

This is like, after buying you will realise, what did I get myself into?.

I stay miles away from such contraptions. Its your hard earned money. Its your call.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 18th November 2009, 16:42   #8
Senior - BHPian

I am sure that Gypsy has done a LOT more than 19k kms. Why would someone spend thousands on a gas kit to run only 350kms a month ?

And please remove that ladder if you buy this one.
Old 18th November 2009, 17:21   #9
BHPian

I think dhabhar.behram is right, It looks like a typical used car dealer refurbished piece. I would not buy a used car dealers "younger bro" story, he has most probably done cosmetic repairs to the car which would fall apart in a few hundred kms.
Old 18th November 2009, 17:28   #10
Senior - BHPian

I feel paying 4.1 lac is utter foolishness. you can very well buy a new gypsy at 2 more lakhs. Do not consider buying this gypsy.

the side sticker says MG 410 and there is a gypsy king sticker below it. something fishy. Is it a gypsy 410 with 413 mpfi engine?

In any case this gypsy is worth no more 2 lakhs.

Last edited by Jaggu : 18th November 2009 at 17:36. Reason: back to back posts, please EDIT the original post if you want to add. thanks
Old 18th November 2009, 17:35   #11
Team-BHP Support

Nope this is not a completely refurbished piece, though it has lot of junk parts which if upto me would throw away. I suggest ask the dealer to remove all the junk parts and reduce the price to 3 lakhs with just AC and power steering.

Dont believe me? Look at the under carriage and engine bay

@dwaraka: It is costly indeed, but show me a gypsy like this which i can buy for a better price. Bloody thing is so scarce that people give out exorbitant price tag.
Old 18th November 2009, 17:43   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Nope this is not a completely refurbished piece, though it has lot of junk parts which if upto me would throw away. I suggest ask the dealer to remove all the junk parts and reduce the price to 3 lakhs with just AC and power steering.

Dont believe me? Look at the under carriage and engine bay

@dwaraka: It is costly indeed, but show me a gypsy like this which i can buy for a better price. Bloody thing is so scarce that people give out exorbitant price tag.
Jaggu, gypsies are becoming scarce material and will be. See the 4X4 scene now. I wouldn't be surprised if you plan to buy one. What is happening with jeeps with 4 wd will occur in gypsies too.

I get enquiries once in fortnight for my gypsy.
Old 18th November 2009, 18:19   #13
Team-BHP Support

OT: Naah! i will wait for now and keep a watch on whats coming up into the market for next few months atleast, then decide between them or a brand new Gypsy
Old 18th November 2009, 18:44   #14
Senior - BHPian

I was told about a 2005 model for sale for 3.5L when I went to buy my seats in Patiala a few weeks ago. If anyone is interested they can ask Kala Seata Wala (Sai Market, Patiala). He said the Gypsy was in superb condition and had alloys.
Old 18th November 2009, 19:00   #15
Senior - BHPian

I would stay away from this one ( most of the key points are listed in DHABHAR.BEHRAM's post above).

Most Viewed