Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 11th December 2009, 04:12   #46
BHPian

@annu0706 so what is the story with the Gypsy that racingmachine saw?

the one whose pic you posted?
Old 11th December 2009, 09:31   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
The pedals would cost from 600-1000
The seats would cost from 8000 Above
The mufler would cost 4600(karol bagh opp to the bus stop)
Mirrors- no clue

I hope these are not for the king.

The pedals will get slippery during OTRs when they are wet
Seats are good options but see if they are made of water proof material
For a little more you can get a complete FFE, anyways if you plan otrs in your gypsy this mufler will let water in.

Pramod
Hi pramod, well was planing for the king but after reading your post m confused . what do you suggest ??
pedals are canceled , seats are i guess ok as have seen in many gypsies which muffler should i go for ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailee_Jatt_Boy View Post
@annu0706 so what is the story with the Gypsy that racingmachine saw?

the one whose pic you posted?
well the shopkeeper said that it is one of very few army mpfi disposals, he quoted 1.65 and was not ready to negotiate at that time later he slashed 5k but some how i was not convinced. and settled with the present one

Last edited by annu0706 : 11th December 2009 at 09:32.
Old 11th December 2009, 10:42   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by annu0706 View Post
Hi pramod, well was planing for the king but after reading your post m confused . what do you suggest ??
pedals are canceled , seats are i guess ok as have seen in many gypsies which muffler should i go for ??
Annu,

I depends on the type of utility you see for your king, if you are into offroading those pedals will be useless. Having said that if you can get pedals with good rubber grip and the ones which are drilled into the existing ones, this might improve things.

During river/stream crossings, there is no way that water can enter the exhaust, however if the engine stops this might happen and damage the internals. The muffler in your pic is known to hold water, which might lead to rusting as these muflers have a lot of glass wool in them, which might hold water and damge them even further. If you need a fast gypsy go for a street spec headers and also see if you can get a snorkel for the exhaust, there are removable ones available. If you are insistant about having this mufler then you might need to mount it high up prefrably on the side. This will heat up the area where its mounted and might damage the paint, not to mention the dangers of people kids touching the mufler when its hot.

There are a lot of recaro/ sparco replicas available in the market for as low as 8 k a pair, you need to find out of these are made of water proof material. Our fellow Bhpian has a biege colored fabric seats and rain water has left some nasty looking stains which lookes as if some one puked, not to mention the chances of mould growth.

Try getting stock mirrors, because these are the first thing that gets broken during OTRs, any thing custom will be difficult to source.

Pramod
Old 11th December 2009, 11:06   #49
BHPian

Hi Guys,

Having gone thru the drill recently, I would like to put in my 2 cents here:

1. A reliable off-roader Gypsy (for our kind of use) will cost 2.5 - 3.0 Lac, including vehicle, registration & complete overhaul. The cost will remain almost same for carb/ MPFI restoration.

2. It is a matter of personal convenience/ choice/ availability to go for a readily available civilian vehicle or restore a scrap vehicle.

3. I personally opter for the restoration, as this has given me COMPLETE knowledge of my vehicle & I am reasonably sure of its reliability, besides the emotional bond!

4. Gypsys do not require any special/ extreme mods, as they are as it is very-very capable off-roaders. So no need to spend monies there.

5. IMHO, the only practical mods are free-wheeling hubs (for better FE & comfort on tarmac, and header (low-mid range torque). These things DO make a considerable difference. Incase of carb, the tuning will make a huge difference (my carb King has better initial response than many MPFIs).

6. Snorkel/ rally seats/ Roll cage etc. are only required for extreme cases & rally vehicles.

Cheers!
Old 11th December 2009, 11:31   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashish B View Post
Hi Guys,

1. A reliable off-roader Gypsy (for our kind of use) will cost 2.5 - 3.0 Lac, including vehicle, registration & complete overhaul. The cost will remain almost same for carb/ MPFI restoration.

2. It is a matter of personal convenience/ choice/ availability to go for a readily available civilian vehicle or restore a scrap vehicle.

3. I personally opter for the restoration, as this has given me COMPLETE knowledge of my vehicle & I am reasonably sure of its reliability, besides the emotional bond!

4. Gypsys do not require any special/ extreme mods, as they are as it is very-very capable off-roaders. So no need to spend monies there.

5. IMHO, the only practical mods are free-wheeling hubs (for better FE & comfort on tarmac, and header (low-mid range torque). These things DO make a considerable difference. Incase of carb, the tuning will make a huge difference (my carb King has better initial response than many MPFIs).

6. Snorkel/ rally seats/ Roll cage etc. are only required for extreme cases & rally vehicles.

Cheers!
+1 for that write up and a honest opinion.
Old 11th December 2009, 14:40   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by annu0706 View Post

well the shopkeeper said that it is one of very few army mpfi disposals, he quoted 1.65 and was not ready to negotiate at that time later he slashed 5k but some how i was not convinced. and settled with the present one
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashish B View Post
Hi Guys,

Cheers!
Agree totallly with Ashish.

Further to the ex-army MPFI 1.65 L is too high price to pay. It would be much better to buy a 1.3 carb (should cost 80-85K) and if needed mount a good quality 13 MPFI or a 1.6 Baleno in it, after you are bored with the carb.
i don't have much experience but a 1.30 MPFI heart transplant should set you back by 60-70 K, this way should be much better than spending the same amount of cash and buying the same engine in a dead condition.
Just my novice advise, I have not done this.
Cheers
Old 11th December 2009, 23:06   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Further to the ex-army MPFI 1.65 L is too high price to pay. It would be much better to buy a 1.3 carb (should cost 80-85K) and if needed mount a good quality 13 MPFI or a 1.6 Baleno in it, after you are bored with the carb.
i don't have much experience but a 1.30 MPFI heart transplant should set you back by 60-70 K, this way should be much better than spending the same amount of cash and buying the same engine in a dead condition.
I have read this a few times on the forum now, the idea of plonking in a 1.3 MPFI engine in the gypsy.

I understand that the baleno 1.6 engines are a little hard to come by. Considering that there are not many 1.3 Gypsys in the market Can some one shed some light on the availability of 1.3 engines for transplants?
Old 21st December 2009, 16:51   #53
BHPian

So whats the Status on the Gypsy Annu. Did you get it...?
Old 21st December 2009, 21:55   #54
BHPian

Pramodkumar, You have any information where can I find recoro/sparco replicas in Trivandrum?
Old 22nd December 2009, 17:05   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonewithwind View Post
Pramodkumar, You have any information where can I find recoro/sparco replicas in Trivandrum?

Sent you a PM, If you are hell bent on buying from trivandrum then give me a months time i will get you the required info.

Pramod
Old 24th December 2009, 13:35   #56
BHPian

Finally Got it

Hi guys,
finally the king has reached me, though it was hell of a trouble as i was not here my friend had to get it unloaded at pithampur [industrial area 45 kms away]. he was pissed of as the truck driver did not had a ramp due to which it took a lot of time n efforts. he was so mad at me that he even did not took any pics of the unloading procidure .

Anyways the vehicle has reached MASS n the guys over there say they'll need atleast a weeks time to source all the parts, no estimate given. the vehicle is as it was when i chose it, hope to drive it within a couple of weeks time.

Posting a few pics taken at MASS [sorry for the bad picture quality]
Attached Thumbnails
With Love from MayaPuri [Gypsy King]-b.jpg  

With Love from MayaPuri [Gypsy King]-c.jpg  

With Love from MayaPuri [Gypsy King]-d.jpg  

With Love from MayaPuri [Gypsy King]-e.jpg  

With Love from MayaPuri [Gypsy King]-f.jpg  

With Love from MayaPuri [Gypsy King]-.jpg  

Last edited by annu0706 : 24th December 2009 at 13:36.
annu0706 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2009, 13:55   #57
Senior - BHPian

MASS might get too pricey to restore an ex-army Gypsy, IMO.
Old 24th December 2009, 14:01   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
MASS might get too pricey to restore an ex-army Gypsy, IMO.
Ya i know but i plan to get the engine work done there, rest will be done somewhere else.
Old 24th December 2009, 14:09   #59
Senior - BHPian

Seems to have gathered a lot of dust during its journery from Mayapuri then again that's imperative. The body seems to be in good shape for an army disposal. All the best for your restoration!

Last edited by longhorn : 24th December 2009 at 14:14.
Old 24th December 2009, 16:05   #60
lsp
BHPian

Thats one nice Christmas present Annu. 2010 will see u in your new ride - The Gypsy.

Waiting for the pics of WIP.

Most Viewed