Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th November 2009, 22:08   #16
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the vehicle David!!!
As I told you earlier that you would be able to start the vehicle and congrats for that!!! Rebuilding the MM550 engine is a money pit so if its working ok, i'd put my money on to keep it that way, drive it around as long as you can!!! There is no point restoring it just for the heck of it. i have been down that road, its not worth it. Takes a lot of time and energy!!!
The rest of the restoration is not that expensive, compared to the engine, so take care of that.
BTW what color have you decided??? I have posted pictures of a sand color MM550 in Shibu's thread (jeep captian) you can have a look at that if you want pointers. Its a nice color, but hey its your choice that matters!!!
I will go to mayapuri in a couple of days and try to source the MM550 wiring harness that we were talking about!!! If I get it will give you a call from there!!! BTW can you please PM or mail me your number so that I have it handy. I forgot to save it in my phone book!!!

Do getin touch with me in case you need any help!!! I will try to help you the best I can with the limited knowledge I have!!!

Best of luck with the restoration and please keep this thread updated!!!
Old 27th November 2009, 23:04   #17
Senior - BHPian

congrats on your ex-army jeep landing in mumbai from delhi.

hey we would like to follow this thread closely as many of us are interested to see the work in progress of restoration of your 550.

good luck.
Old 28th November 2009, 11:11   #18
BHPian

great buy !!!!!!!

Great buy there, buddy. Looks great !!!!!!!!!!!!!
For any advice regarding Jeeps, contact Mr.Behram Dhabhar [ tbhp id - DHABHAR.BEHRAM]. A hardcore jeeper to the core, he'll guide you to the right way to a restore a Jeep. And you have Harjeev's expertise too. Dhabhar Sir resides in Mumbai too !!! In Mumbai, Atlas Motors is a good store for jeep spares. Contact Mr.prakash there, i guess he'll help you out.
Old 28th November 2009, 11:27   #19
Senior - BHPian

I remember buying parts for my 540 from a store on the left side of the western express highway at andheri while going towards north. Isn't that Atlas too? Was a long time ago so can't recall the name. But it was a big shop with lots of parts.
Old 28th November 2009, 11:34   #20
BHPian

This was my old work horse miss her so much. oh and thats me in the middle
Attached Thumbnails
ex army MM550 in Bombay-2006_0226speedrun0044.jpg  

ex army MM550 in Bombay-classic.jpg  

Old 28th November 2009, 14:59   #21
BHPian

Update. while starting up the engine we figuerd out the starter motor wont crank at all once taken off everything inside was busted and burnt out i wanted to get a new one but it would take a week for it to come. the electrician said he could fix it and since he had done a good job with my classic starter motor i decided to go with fixing it so we chaged everything inside.

Also the radiator has a crack so its taken off and will be sent for repairs and service. My mec said the guy we will be giving it to does a very good job .
Also the water pump has to be changed as there is a play and the entire fan shakes. Any idea how much does the water pump cost?
Old 28th November 2009, 15:03   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by powertrain View Post
Great buy there, buddy. Looks great !!!!!!!!!!!!!
For any advice regarding Jeeps, contact Mr.Behram Dhabhar [ tbhp id - DHABHAR.BEHRAM]. A hardcore jeeper to the core, he'll guide you to the right way to a restore a Jeep. And you have Harjeev's expertise too. Dhabhar Sir resides in Mumbai too !!! In Mumbai, Atlas Motors is a good store for jeep spares. Contact Mr.prakash there, i guess he'll help you out.
Hey thanks Power train. Wea will look forward to all inputs from the jeep gurus on Tbhp
Old 28th November 2009, 15:11   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhrishikesh View Post
@ David,
I live in Dadar, but my classes are there in Borivali.
Where do you stay there ie.e where is the jeep ??
Try to source the parts from Bail Bazar i.e. CST-Kurla Road.
I stay in ic colony the jeep is at the garage that is just below the flyover on the west side. call me your here 9833010135
Old 28th November 2009, 15:20   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
Congrats on the vehicle David!!!
As I told you earlier that you would be able to start the vehicle and congrats for that!!! Rebuilding the MM550 engine is a money pit so if its working ok, i'd put my money on to keep it that way, drive it around as long as you can!!! There is no point restoring it just for the heck of it. i have been down that road, its not worth it. Takes a lot of time and energy!!!
The rest of the restoration is not that expensive, compared to the engine, so take care of that.
BTW what color have you decided??? I have posted pictures of a sand color MM550 in Shibu's thread (jeep captian) you can have a look at that if you want pointers. Its a nice color, but hey its your choice that matters!!!
I will go to mayapuri in a couple of days and try to source the MM550 wiring harness that we were talking about!!! If I get it will give you a call from there!!! BTW can you please PM or mail me your number so that I have it handy. I forgot to save it in my phone book!!!

Do getin touch with me in case you need any help!!! I will try to help you the best I can with the limited knowledge I have!!!

Best of luck with the restoration and please keep this thread updated!!!
Thanks Harjeev, yea lets see how the engine hold up , keeping my finger crossed. my phone # is 9833010135 yea give me a buzz if you find the harness ill get someone to pick it from you .

As for the colour i think im falling in love with the green shade the more i see my jeep the more i want it as is hahahaha lets see. BUt yea i checked out the sand colour and it looks pretty cool. Will keep you updated
Old 28th November 2009, 17:54   #25
BHPian

some pics. tried to upload it earlier but the pics dint go thru
Attached Thumbnails
ex army MM550 in Bombay-dscf9019.jpg  

ex army MM550 in Bombay-dscf9020.jpg  

ex army MM550 in Bombay-dscf9021.jpg  

ex army MM550 in Bombay-dscf9022.jpg  

ex army MM550 in Bombay-dscf9023.jpg  

ex army MM550 in Bombay-odo.jpg  

ex army MM550 in Bombay-radiator1.jpg  

ex army MM550 in Bombay-radiator2.jpg  

ex army MM550 in Bombay-tub.jpg  

ex army MM550 in Bombay-tub3.jpg  

Old 28th November 2009, 22:44   #26
Senior - BHPian

Hey david
Dont worry the waterpump shouldn't be very expensive!!! If I am not mistaken it should be 500 +/- a couple of hundred bucks.

Though I went to mayapuri today I dint get time to inquire about the wiring harness!!! I have to inquire a coupld of other things and have to take my RANGER there for some modifications!!! So I will inquire next week!!!
Old 29th November 2009, 19:05   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by davids4x4mm550 View Post
After considering all options on how to get one picked up I happened to have a word with Harjeev who was the only reason I could pick this baby up. Can you imagine all this was done with me sitting in Bombay and a few friends along with Harjeev went and cracked the deal for me.
Congrats on your new purchase.... Wish you a happy re-build and will watchout this thread for now onwards then.!

Ofcourse Harjeev is the best to source a good and best vehicle with a good deal. By now he has got a good experiecene and know each and every tricks of Mayapuri....

Harjeev appreciate your helping mentality towards the fellow BHPians...

Sadiq..
Old 30th November 2009, 11:10   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by davids4x4mm550 View Post
As for the colour i think im falling in love with the green shade the more i see my jeep the more i want it as is hahahaha lets see. BUt yea i checked out the sand colour and it looks pretty cool. Will keep you updated
Hi David,

Congrats on your jeep. and All the best for the restoration.
Go Green man... I have also painted it Green attached is the pic of it. Its 2 months old pic actually.

Tarkesh
Attached Thumbnails
ex army MM550 in Bombay-jeep1.jpg  

Old 30th November 2009, 22:14   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_3007 View Post
Hi David,

Congrats on your jeep. and All the best for the restoration.
Go Green man... I have also painted it Green attached is the pic of it. Its 2 months old pic actually.

Tarkesh
Yea i have been thinking about it , i have also been following up on your entire thread hey can you pm me your phone number just in case i need some help
Old 30th November 2009, 22:24   #30
BHPian

david let me warn you though,
in mumbai city you will definitely have a problem with green
speaking out of experience

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks