Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 30th November 2009, 12:30   #16
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the input guys. See what I wrote in another thread of my Cl340, just before selling it:

Quote:
Emotions are one thing but practicality is another. I am very clear what I want next.

It goes like this:

What I want
1) 4x4 offroader
2) Good highway cruise ability
3) A/C
4) Can compromise on offroad abilities. If it can do 60-70% of what my jeep was doing then also ok.
5) Reliable.
Now what you all say. What else can one wish for. Guess what I am going to buy

And as soon as I get more parking space I am surly going to buy a SWB again plus a gypsy.. may be more than 1-1 like Harjeev and others..

Last edited by Ym-enjn : 30th November 2009 at 12:31.
Old 30th November 2009, 13:45   #17
BHPian

At 7 lacs you should go for it Yogesh,..it is indeed a good buy.
Speak with Raj and see if there is anyway to increase GC further.
Maybe just taller tires will do it. Anyway to prevent the expensive undersides from hurting. Also find out if you could fabricate custom bumpers for the front and rear,..and this is the first to take a hit when it comes to inclines and departure angles.

200 mm may sound good on paper but this benifit is somewhat compromised due to Long Wheel Base. You will still end up scraping your bottom on most NIOC obstacles.

Also fellow bhpians please understand he drives from Jaipur to Delhi across the dessert for the OTR ,..and driving a MM550 in Banaglore where the climate is pleasant year round is a very differemt story !

Last edited by Torque-ative : 30th November 2009 at 13:47.
Old 30th November 2009, 14:12   #18
Team-BHP Support

Yogesh, it is a great buy if it is under 10L. My GV completed 2 years this month, and I am currently considering first ever part replacement on my GV, the tyres.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSlow View Post
but farthest you will get in terms of offroading capability.
Now that's really pushing it. View the following video and then comment.

Last edited by Samurai : 30th November 2009 at 15:23.
Old 30th November 2009, 15:11   #19
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Samurai, it will come close to 7 lakhs. I read almost all thread by you and Sudev yesterday. Glad to have Vitara gurus by my side..

Vinod, Sree, Ankit - I would say it like this- One cant abuse a 16- 18 lakhs Vitara but one can sure push a 7 lakhs Vitara to its limits.. The limits wont come close to SWB but IMO it will be equal to if not in excess to Stock Bolero or Stock second hand Safari/Scorpio (same price options). Plus you get ABS, Brake assists, Airbags 120 ps power, AT, CD player, xenons and need I say about ride quality and refinement.. (Edit- and the biggest plus point is that I am getting it.. )

Also in line with Naveen, I wouldn't think twice before doing a mod to enhance it performance, as it is costing 7 Lakhs to me not 18 Lakhs. I think I can live with this one for a long time and keep improving it as an offroader. Therefore guys will give you all the good news soon..

EDIT-

Spare parts and availability- Sudevs threads suggests that the spares are not very expensive as it shares many parts with SX4. Second, It is still a running model only 2 years old so will stay in the market for very long. Third Maruti is planning to localise it like other threads suggest so the spares price will only go down.

Now the FE- I guess a second hand gypsy will give only a little more than this if not equal and when did we offroaders cared about FE.

Practicality- I have sold my Cl340 and will also sell my Ikon (2005) which my wife uses only about 100 kms per month. We were already considering an AT vehicle for her, so everything sets into right place. Now only if the deal gets through properly.

Last edited by Ym-enjn : 30th November 2009 at 15:29.
Old 30th November 2009, 15:18   #20
Senior - BHPian

Samurai, good eye opener. New gypsy will cost on road 6.5 lakhs. You get Grand vitara at 7 lakhs with all comforts and performance. Yogesh, go for it.
Old 30th November 2009, 15:30   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ym-enjn View Post
Thanks Samurai, it will come close to 7 lakhs.

Vinod, Sree, Ankit - The limits wont come close to SWB but IMO it will be equal to if not in excess to Stock Bolero or Stock second hand Safari/Scorpio (same price options). Plus you get ABS, Brake assists, Airbags 120 ps power, AT, CD player, xenons and need I say about ride quality and refinement.. (Edit- and the biggest plus point is that I am getting it.. )

Therefore guys will give you all the good news soon..

Yogesh,
You have set your heart on this GV then go for it, dont look back! Your hunger for a good on road vehicle with AT is making this GV look value for money and it is for 7 lakhs!!

Take it from me, you will buy a SWB soon, thats why i said dont sell your CL340. Imagine towing your SWB behind this GV on a trailer to that spot. Would have been just perfect! I believe you will be automatically guided to that perfect combination.

Wishing you all the best to pick up that GV

Last edited by khan_sultan : 30th November 2009 at 15:52. Reason: fixed quotes
Old 30th November 2009, 15:35   #22
Team-BHP Support

You can get lift-kits, skid plates (cheaper to make it), locker kits for the GV. Better to remove the bumpers for the OTR events like Rehaan does on his Scorpio. Also, replace the OE tyres with Mud or AT tyres. The OE type is really pathetic in mud or slush.

One more image for you:
Old 30th November 2009, 21:40   #23
Senior - BHPian

Yes Dararka, the climb in the video is very steep and there is no run up.

Thanks Vinod, we get some we loose some, for the time being me n family are very excited. If it can do 60-70% of the NIOC things then I do not mind sitting with fellow jeepers for the remaining 30%. At least I will be there with the group.

Samurai, nice gif. Thanks for support, I will disturb you a lot i near future for your guidance.

Last edited by Ym-enjn : 30th November 2009 at 21:43.
Old 30th November 2009, 23:52   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
You can get lift-kits, skid plates (cheaper to make it), locker kits for the GV. Better to remove the bumpers for the OTR events like Rehaan does on his Scorpio. Also, replace the OE tyres with Mud or AT tyres. The OE type is really pathetic in mud or slush.

One more image for you:
How about this one guys?? Very optimistic..

Found a 2007 Grand Vitara AT (Now Bought) EDIT: OTR Pics on Page 6-suzuki_grand_vitara_bandit_2007_f3q.jpg

May be one day it will look like this..

Source
Old 1st December 2009, 04:43   #25
BHPian

Looks like an armored vehicle.
Old 1st December 2009, 08:08   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Lovely picture and yes one day!!
Old 1st December 2009, 10:29   #27
Team-BHP Support

Yeah, I have seen that before back in 2007. I was part of a GV forum that had the entire story behind this build. It does have the rocky rock lift kit in it.

One can offroad with GV is you don't mind the panel damages. Whenever I failed to cross something with GV, it was either because of HT tyres or improperly designed skid plates or fear of panel/bumper damage. It can boast of 335Nm max torque in 4L, which is not bad for it's weight. That way Gypsy has only 233Nm max at 4L. GV has torque:weight ratio of .209 and Gypsy has .236 to it's credit. You can add lift kits to GV to raise it by few inches.
Old 1st December 2009, 16:36   #28
Senior - BHPian

Guys Vitara coming home soon. Finalised the deal at 7.2 L plus commission and all..

LHS low beam bulb is fuse, the seller will pay for that. He says it costs around Rs 650, is that it. It is a xenon.

@Samurai- You are correct, its an expensive car and one cannot push that in the way one puts in M&Ms. And if one wants to do that then with little alterations it can give surprising results like shown at many international forums and sites.

PS- Shall we expect new A/T tyres for your GV or M/T (Trepadore)?

@Sudev- Yes one day but before that few necessary things like skid plates(custom), rock crawlers(custom), MT tyres and learning how to remove the bumpers and putting up a custom made bumper and sun/moon roof (family request). One only needs to read your threads on GV to get convinced to buy it. Will need lot of guidance from gurus..
Old 1st December 2009, 16:45   #29
Senior - BHPian

Yogesh,

Congratulations. GV can do most of NIOC trails with no hitch.
Old 1st December 2009, 16:54   #30
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaraka View Post
GV can do most of NIOC trails with no hitch.
But not without body damage.

Most Viewed