Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd December 2009, 11:02   #1
Senior - BHPian

Your 4x4- How much $$$$ till now and how?

Guys,

We all love our 4x4's and we built it with lot of care. We all have spent countless man hours, so many $$$$'s faced ire at home for our over spending habits all for our beloved 4x4. Lot has gone into your vehicle already and lot is still pending. This thread is an attempt to know how much a teambhpian has spent on his vehicle and what is the final outcome. Would be a help for a newbie and experienced to understand how much does one require to spend to build that dream 4x4.

I will start with mine-

Model- Mahindra MM540 4wd 1990
Purchase cost- Rs 1,00,000 (donated by wife)
Condition when purchased- Up and running

I have spent about Rs 2,20,000 including the purchase cost of the vehicle.

Major work done till now-

1. Gearbox changed to army single lever
2. Steering box changed
3. Front brake drums size increased for better breaking
4. Invested in making top twice
5. Tyres changed to Bridgestone Ht 235 from 265's
7. Installed B pillar and half doors along with new front frame
8. Engine head gasket replaced
9. self starter overhaul

Work yet to be done -

1. Painting
2. AT Tyres
3. New/better top
4. new battery

If situation permits-
1. XD 3p engine
2. Winch
3. A/c
4. P/s
5. LSD
6. Disk brakes

Things i should have avoided-
1. Bridgstone HT tyres (Though it won me palar twice)
2. Gearbox overhaul twice
3. Soft top job

Iam still short of Rs 2,00,000 to build my kind of ideal 4x4 I somehow feel i got value for my money till now as i did countless OTR's and my jeep won me palar twice without any major breakdowns

Whats your story guys?
Old 3rd December 2009, 11:57   #2
Senior - BHPian

Model - M&M CJ340 1990 Model
Cost of Purchase - 1,10,000 INR
Condition when purchased - BAD
Initial Cost of Restoring Mechanicals - 41,000~ INR Detailed here
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...m-cj340-6.html

Major work done till now-
1) Gear box Overhaul
2) Suspension Overhaul
3) Brakes MAJOR overhaul
4) New Radiator

Yet to do:
1) Tinkering/Painting
2) Better Top
3) Better Seating arrangement

I still need @Least 50K more to make it more beautiful.
Old 3rd December 2009, 12:00   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Man, I have lost count of this! But ofcourse, the number of OTR's I managed to do was phenomenal...

My jeep will be heading for a rebuild pretty soon - in much the same lines as Nookala's...am just waiting to accumulate a few $$$ (make that a lot) before I jump into this ring...
Old 3rd December 2009, 12:28   #4
Senior - BHPian

santosh,
50 K thats it? Your jeep can be termed as one of the cheapest.

Even i changed the radiator to a 4 core one, we do so many things that we loose count on it. Iam yet to install a thermostat. I saw the after effects of not using it once i removed my head gasket. Also one must use coolant always. Atleast iam ensuring to do so.

@redliner
How long have you run your vehicle till now after your initial build?

Last edited by vinod_nookala : 3rd December 2009 at 12:30.
Old 3rd December 2009, 13:05   #5
BHPian

My tab is still on and counting
But for a build from scratch the tab should ideally stop at about ....

2 lacs for a CJ3B
2.5 lacs for a CL340
3.25 lacs for a MM550

That is ensuring only genuine parts have gone in and no holds have been spared.

Last edited by Torque-ative : 3rd December 2009 at 13:07.
Old 3rd December 2009, 13:40   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post
Even i changed the radiator to a 4 core one, we do so many things that we loose count on it. Iam yet to install a thermostat. I saw the after effects of not using it once i removed my head gasket. Also one must use coolant always. Atleast iam ensuring to do so.
Hi Vinod
Can you please elobrate the after effets of not using a thermostat switch!
i am not using one in my CJ3B (ROVER)
Old 3rd December 2009, 13:48   #7
BHPian

Mine $$$ Spent

Initially bought for 1.55 Lks sold the vehicle due to Onsite and rebought the same for 1.6 lks in a span of 10days

Work done by " X " painting the vehicle all black , front radiator grill cover , spare wheel , jack , wheel spanner Rs 3,000 /-

Work done by ME

Painting the Rims : Rs 100 = 250 ml paint + thinner + brush + banian cloth + sand paper + a lot of fore arm pain and time

Rope - Rs 150

Work Pending

Tyres - NDMS to MAXIS + Normal rims to Gypsy Rims Rs 30000
Brakes - Rs 6000 ( MM540 )
Engine overhaul , Steering Shake - Rs 2500
Nylon Rope from Paris ( Chennai ) - Rs 2000

Next Batch Work after 6 months ( June )

Bolero or Scorpio engine or Toyota - MAX Budget 1 lk
LSD - Rs 15000
Shock Absorbers and axel work Rs 15000
Tinkering - Water proofing Engine etc - Rs ?

Painting : Rs 4500/- Self

Vinod : I've something common with you , My jeep was also bought for me by my wife only . She is the money loaner for me
Attached Thumbnails
Your 4x4- How much $$$$ till now and how?-initial.jpg  

Your 4x4- How much $$$$ till now and how?-after.jpg  

Your 4x4- How much $$$$ till now and how?-now.jpg  

Old 3rd December 2009, 13:57   #8
Senior - BHPian

]
Quote:
Hi Vinod
Can you please elobrate the after effets of not using a thermostat switch!
i am not using one in my CJ3B (ROVER)
Harjeev,
Engine requires optimum temp to function. In hot season engine reaches that temperature easily but in cold conditions your engine may not reach that optimum temp any time soon especially in NCR low temperatures in winter. Further iam told be Behram sir that the head is prone to damage due to this as some amino acids that spoil the head due to operating in prolong low temperatures than required.

I operated my vehicle without one and when now the head is removed it is in bad shape because of this among other reasons

So, harjeev whats your cost up to date for these two vehicles? I know you have mentioned it in your restoration thread but would be great if you could summurise here. Especially things you shouldnt have done that would have saved you $$$

@propeller-

Your vehicle is still a budget buy i guess. You havent spent much. But considering what you are planning you have some hefty $$$ expenditure.

How come you overhauled your engine for 2500? Typo is guess. So, whats the cost uptill now?

Last edited by vinod_nookala : 3rd December 2009 at 14:03.
Old 3rd December 2009, 14:01   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VN
the head is prone to damage due to this as some amino acids that spoil the head

Dude! I almost fell off my chair.

Yes, the thermostat is mandatory for the engine's health.
Old 3rd December 2009, 14:50   #10
Senior - BHPian

@Nitrous-LOL :-)

Guys iam eager to listen to some of our senior guys like Arka, the traveller (sanjay david), Samurai , Harjeev, Dwaraka, Trammway, 4x4 addict, khan sultan and desertking among others.

Newbies like Arjun rudra, propeller can also contribute
Old 3rd December 2009, 15:19   #11
Senior - BHPian

Am not sure how much i have spend on this on nifty things now and then.
But i did bought one 54 model and one 58 model. Stripped them of parts that felt worthy and sold the rest as scrap. Both were in working condition. one was 75k (nepali rupees) and another one 65k (without papers) One with nepal regn, we gave away the plates for free. Later i regretted as in Nepal Commercial Plates were sold at high prices.

The machine.
Your 4x4- How much $$$$ till now and how?-machine-medium.jpg

Its parts.
Your 4x4- How much $$$$ till now and how?-extra-meter-medium.jpg

Your 4x4- How much $$$$ till now and how?-extra-parts4-medium.jpg

Your 4x4- How much $$$$ till now and how?-extra-parts5-medium.jpg

Your 4x4- How much $$$$ till now and how?-extra-tr-medium.jpg

PS: many fellow members and others have asked me for parts, But i am very kanjoosh in this. . as i don't to be left out cold, if i break something and the thing is not sourced. I have given the address of the dealer though.
Old 3rd December 2009, 15:38   #12
DKG
Senior - BHPian

The likelihood of finding a 4x4 which is a single owner car, relatively low mileage, full service history with all worn parts changed, mechanically in perfect health and cosmetically in a very presentable condition is remote.

Chances are the 4x4 you buy will have wear and tear at practically every level of the car.

Which means that if you buy a army disposal CJ3B be prepared to spend a maximum of Rs 2 lacs in totally rebuilding the vehicle. Assuming you got the vehicle at around Rs 70k the end result at Rs 2.7 lacs is still VFM compared to say a new Mahindra Major at 5.5.

I think if we look at the 4x4 we own in this perspective then you actually enjoy improving the car and reaping the rewards of a well maintained used car.

I bought my CJ3B for 1.5 lakhs and spent 60k for a rebuilt Hurricane and a brand new 4x4 gearbox. If I can get a hold of a new front/rear diff assembly then for under 2.7 I will have a Jeep with a feel close to a new vehicle.

Last edited by DKG : 3rd December 2009 at 15:52.
Old 3rd December 2009, 15:43   #13
BHPian

Vinod You have enlightened me

Quote:
]
@propeller-

Your vehicle is still a budget buy i guess. You havent spent much. But considering what you are planning you have some hefty $$$ expenditure.

How come you overhauled your engine for 2500? Typo is guess. So, whats the cost uptill now?
I'm not very technical - They said engine has been overhauled - wahat it means to me is oil change , filter change , top up , nossil cleaning . I hope i'm correct else please correct me .

My cost till now is Rs 3250/- ( Three thousand two hundred and fifty only ) . This weekend it is shooting to Rs 43250/- ( Forty three thousand two hundred and fifty ) .

Total 1,60,000 + 43,250 = 2,00,250 /- Rs

Oh my GOD this thread is opening my eyes - - 2 lks already and have some many more plans . I guess i'll need to find a new home soon.
Old 3rd December 2009, 16:01   #14
Senior - BHPian

Wonderful experiences

@siralec-
You have got a very unique piece of machinery. What stage of restoration is it in? Its a beauty, is it up and running?

@DKG-
Your jeep is something i would like to steal! 1.5 lakhs for that immaculate vehicle is a great buy! Plus after you have plonked in that Hurricane with new 3 speed gearbox i can imagine what you are talking about.

I quite dont agree on old vs new logic. You have been lucky and you have just invested on engine and gearbox if iam not wrong . But for most here, they have to start from base at 1.25 lakhs on an average and then invest on every thing else like, body work, paint, electricals, gearbox, brakes, battery etc etc etc

For most of the people whom i already know the cost has been above 4.5 lakhs and still counting, i feel in those cases new vehicle makes more sense...if and only if they were available!

@torque-ative i agree with your costing. You need to invest atleast that much to call your vehicle perfect not only mecanically but iin every angle. But i think 3B cannot be had for just 2 lakhs in good condition considering base vehicle cost being so high

@propeller
Thank god they just confuse dyou with calling it engine O/H and not charging you for the same. What you got done was just a regular service and not engine O/H!

Regarding your new home, tell me we will share a bachelor accomodation as i know we will soon be thrown out of house
Old 3rd December 2009, 16:08   #15
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
the cost has been above 4.5 lakhs and still counting, i feel in those cases new vehicle makes more sense...if and only if they were available!
Spending that kind of money on a collectible Willys or Ford makes sense. But like you say to spend that kind of money on a regular Mahindra one may be better off buying a new Jeep.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks