Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 13th March 2010, 12:27   #136
Distinguished - BHPian

Went to Milestone yesterday to collect my car back. Behram called me and promised me to do up the stuff. Unfortunately, they had already opened up the car so now letting them continue whatever is opened up.

The following were noticed:

Worn out bushes in the rear suspension
Steering oil leakage
The knocking sound apparently was due to play in the propellor shaft. Got that fixed.
Getting the mm540 type skid plate
exhaust re-repair

New tyres have arrived. I will get them fixed after mechanical work is done. They are 235/75/15 Maxxis Trepadors (5250 each).

Spike,
What are the sleeves you are taking about regarding the pintle hook?

Last edited by Tejas@perioimpl : 13th March 2010 at 12:29. Reason: added info
Old 13th March 2010, 12:51   #137
Senior - BHPian

Pintle hook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
Spike,
What are the sleeves you are taking about regarding the pintle hook?
Tejas i am attaching a pic of the sleeve/bush for your clarification, i think Classics did not come with angle plates as the pintle hook was mounted directly on to the cross member/K member, but AFAIK pintle hook assembly always comes with this arrangement of sleeves.

Spike
Attached Thumbnails
An impulsive buy - 1999 Mahindra Classic; Sold and bought back after 10 years!-pintle-hook.jpg  

Old 13th March 2010, 12:56   #138
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
Tejas i am attaching a pic of the sleeve/bush for your clarification, i think Classics did not come with angle plates as the pintle hook was mounted directly on to the cross member/K member, but AFAIK pintle hook assembly always comes with this arrangement of sleeves.

Spike
Thanks.

Two questions:

- What is the advantage of this setup?

- Where can i procure the sleeves? Any idea?
Old 13th March 2010, 22:52   #139
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks.

Two questions:

- What is the advantage of this setup?

- Where can i procure the sleeves? Any idea?
1. It acts as a guide on which the pintle hook rests, preventing it from any movement during severe pulls.
2. The supplier of this part is Virdi International, don't remember where it is located, but it must be easily available in Bombay.

Spike

Last edited by SPIKE ARRESTOR : 13th March 2010 at 22:53.
Old 20th March 2010, 10:42   #140
Distinguished - BHPian

Updates:

Got front facing rear seats from Atlas Motors.

Cost: 3500/-

I'm gonna modify these, raise it slightly higher upto the wheel arches so that i can fabricate underseat storage.

I'm planning to run 2 aluminum or metal 'T' bars from either side of the wheel arches and mount the seat on it. Below i will weld a aluminum plate and make the tail gate lockable.

Atleast then i don't have to worry about recovery gear getting stolen from my Jeep whenever we stop for tea / breakfast during OTRs.
Attached Thumbnails
An impulsive buy - 1999 Mahindra Classic; Sold and bought back after 10 years!-23509_378687082084_628012084_4154327_2056287_n.jpg  

An impulsive buy - 1999 Mahindra Classic; Sold and bought back after 10 years!-23509_378688097084_628012084_4154338_1466247_n.jpg  

Old 20th March 2010, 10:50   #141
Distinguished - BHPian

Updates continued:

Got Lambda FWHs. Definite improvement in cruising and pick up. Cost: 3600.

Got new shoes as well.

Maxxis Trepadors (set of 5). 235/75/15

Cost: 5250/- each.

Old tyres (Bridgestone Duellers HT 215/75/15): 500/each except stepney which was in bad condition (got 250/- for that)

Impressions:

Looks: awesome

Ride: No noticeable difference as of now.

Road noise: No difference noticed

Steering hardness: not increased

Grip: While driving immediately, i did notice that the braking efficiency decreased by atleast 25%. Attributing it to new tyre coatings.

Drove around 15kms last night and grip braking efficiency seems to improve. I'll put up another report after 50kms.

Pics below with comparison to old tyres as well.
Attached Thumbnails
An impulsive buy - 1999 Mahindra Classic; Sold and bought back after 10 years!-23509_377292942084_628012084_4149977_4793066_n.jpg  

An impulsive buy - 1999 Mahindra Classic; Sold and bought back after 10 years!-compare.jpg  

Last edited by Tejas@perioimpl : 20th March 2010 at 10:52.
Old 20th March 2010, 17:45   #142
Distinguished - BHPian

Mahindra Workshop at it again!!!

I had to cut a part of the dash because it was banging against my knee really bad! Thus, i lost the cig lighter.

I told the mahindra guys to attach the lighter in the spot which i have marked in the below pic with a circle. But they decided to use their brains and removed the 4L indicator light and attach it there!

Even the metal plate holding the indicators is bent!

These lights are rare and he broke it while removing! I combed through the whole car and found tiny bits of the yellow cover and am now slowly super-gluing bits of it back together!

They apparently also repaired the leaking exhaust the second time, but it still leaks!!!

They also couldn't make the mm540 skid plate!

No more going to Milestone Mahindra from now.

Desperately searching for a good jeep mechanic in bombay... HELP!
Attached Thumbnails
An impulsive buy - 1999 Mahindra Classic; Sold and bought back after 10 years!-img_0284.jpg  

Last edited by Tejas@perioimpl : 20th March 2010 at 17:46. Reason: typo
Old 20th March 2010, 18:07   #143
BHPian

tires are looking nice wanna see them in action now.
i am riding with you for sure next time in those comfy looking FRONT FACING seats ,
Old 20th March 2010, 18:14   #144
BHPian

Hi Tejas too bad you should have kicked their a*** for doing such a thing i dont think you are ever going to find that light cover. How could they do such a foolish thing. was the light not working. That light pannel was the best thing i loved on my classic.Ill ask a friend of mine who is working for the mahindra to see if they have it in their old stock lets see if we get lucky. On the lighter side your tyre are looking good how are they performing.
Old 20th March 2010, 18:21   #145
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by whicked wheels View Post
Hi Tejas too bad you should have kicked their a*** for doing such a thing i dont think you are ever going to find that light cover. How could they do such a foolish thing. was the light not working. That light pannel was the best thing i loved on my classic.Ill ask a friend of mine who is working for the mahindra to see if they have it in their old stock lets see if we get lucky. On the lighter side your tyre are looking good how are they performing.
Thankfully i found all four pieces of the light and the assembly is going well. I'm using dental composite to add areas that are lost. :P Will post pics soon.

The light was very much working! It now glows somewhere inside behind the panel! I gave them a piece of my mind, but what more could i do!

If your friend can source it, then nothing like it!

Tyres are behaving well on road as of now. After driving around a lot, they have lost the slippery coating and grip is as good as the bridgestone HTs.
Not tried it in wet or OTR situation yet. Just got them 2 days ago. No difference in steering effort though.

OT: You guys please try to make it for the next weekend night OTR at lonavla if possible.
Old 20th March 2010, 22:34   #146
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Updates continued:

Got Lambda FWHs. Definite improvement in cruising and pick up. Cost: 3600.

Got new shoes as well.

Maxxis Trepadors (set of 5). 235/75/15

Cost: 5250/- each.

Old tyres (Bridgestone Duellers HT 215/75/15): 500/each except stepney which was in bad condition (got 250/- for that)

Impressions:

Looks: awesome

Ride: No noticeable difference as of now.

Road noise: No difference noticed

Steering hardness: not increased

Grip: While driving immediately, i did notice that the braking efficiency decreased by atleast 25%. Attributing it to new tyre coatings.

Drove around 15kms last night and grip braking efficiency seems to improve. I'll put up another report after 50kms.

Pics below with comparison to old tyres as well.
You should have retained your older tyres for absolute on-road use. For example, driving all the way to Lonavala can be done on your older tyres, and you could shift to mudzilla's at a tyre shop in a few minutes as you hit the trail.

All you need are 4 more rims with the tyres already fit onto them. This way, you'll give the mudzilla's a longer lease of life.

Lastly, please avoid Mahindra work-shops. I thought you had already figured this out as I read the earlier pages (especially with the pulley issue). You SHOULD network beyond TBHP for good independent jeep mechanics. Crying wolf here and then going back to the bloke who screwed things up the first time around aint gonna solve things. Trust me, good guys in Bangalore are very very hard to come by too, but we keep searching :-)

One more thing: You made the mistake of toeing over the cardinal rule of NEVER leaving your mechanic with your Jeep with you not around! Especially with a new guy! However well your instructions are laid out - NEVER! Especially when welding/cutting is involved...

Guess the broken light assy was a good 'nuf rap on the knuckles. Cheer up mate, look forward to the next weeks night OTR. Your fog lights up and running? Set them up on a 90/100 Philips Rally bulb kit and Roots relay.

Last edited by Red Liner : 20th March 2010 at 22:37.
Old 21st March 2010, 12:45   #147
BHPian

Quote:

Desperately searching for a good jeep mechanic in bombay... HELP!
you should try out the garage my jeep is being done up in. Very nice man knows disele vehcls inside out + he likes jeeps. Hes worked om my frieds classic and also on my old classic also on prashant's mini pajero . The best part is if you have time you can chill out there and see the work being done.
all parts gone into my jeep have been delivered by atlas motors andheri to his garge as he has a tie up with em.
Old 21st March 2010, 13:45   #148
Team-BHP Support

Ouch Tejas that hurts, if I were you I will find another shop. How about Ferdy where GTO got his vehicle done. Ones that I have seen from his workshop had some character to it, even in pics.
Old 21st March 2010, 13:48   #149
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
No more going to Milestone Mahindra from now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
How about Ferdy where GTO got his vehicle done.
It is the same place I think.
Old 21st March 2010, 14:48   #150
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
....How about Ferdy...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
It is the same place I think.
Yep, Ferdi is Milestone. Ouch; Tejas!!

Are you ready to travel to ambarnath to check out Sabareesh's place?

Most Viewed