Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th March 2010, 11:37   #181
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepCaptain View Post
Doc, I had the same situation last weekend with my 1991 Wrangler YJ. During the OTR the temp shot up and radiator started spurting out rusty water in half gaseous form.
I had brand new green coolant coming out of the overflow pipe and i could hear it boiling in the radiator.

Best is to stop, open the bonnet and let the engine run till it cools down right?

My suggestions for overheating Jeeps/Engine or any old Jeeps

Quote:
1) Flush your radiator/engine with any good flush chemical once in six months.
Done a month ago
Quote:
2) Go for a radiator upgrade like what I did ( Peugeot XDP4.90 is famous for everheating)
Let me scout around for this. Any suggestions?
Quote:
3) Replace coolant every 6 months or atleast every year- and remember never mix with tap water (either fill it completely with premixed coolant or mix it with bottled water with is pH neutral)
4) Replace radiator hoses with brand new one as a precaution(once in a year)
Done last month.
Quote:
5) Install a radiator cowl for better cooling (if you dont have one)
Already there.
Quote:
6) Replace your fan with more leaves
How many more? What options in the market?
Quote:
7) During OTR - try to remove your chaff screen/bug mesh for better air flow.
Will do next time.
Quote:
8) Finally if you still not happy with cooling - go for a electric fan with a switch so that you can turn it off during waterfording or in winter.
Thinking about it. But as an auxiliary, not as a replacement to the fan driven one.

EDIT:
Arka, will do.

Do you suggest going in for a four core radiator upgrade?

Last edited by Tejas@perioimpl : 29th March 2010 at 11:42. Reason: see edit
Old 29th March 2010, 11:56   #182
Senior - BHPian

Do Not

Hi Tejas,

1) Do not remove the Chaff Screen, it is supposed to protect the radiator from Chaff (Broken Twigs, Grass Husk) which we find on Highways and OTRs.

2) Remove the thermostat and see if the Overheating issue is solved.
Then decide on a 4-Core Radiator, with a Thermostat, even a 4-core will not help.

Regards,

Arka

PS - You want XD3P, Bigger Tyres, 4-Core Radiator, that is why I keep suggesting on a MM550XD
Old 29th March 2010, 12:33   #183
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
Hi Tejas,

1) Do not remove the Chaff Screen, it is supposed to protect the radiator from Chaff (Broken Twigs, Grass Husk) which we find on Highways and OTRs.
OK

Quote:
Over heating happened only with three passengers (in the evening) and when towing the gypsy on inclines till the mechanic's.

It did not happen on the way back when there were only two of us in the jeep and the sun was at it's peak in the afternoon. Infact i got sunburnt, but the temp stayed at 80 throughout.

So it's to do with the little extra load on the engine i guess. But why is just the addition of one passenger causing so much stress. Towing a gypsy i can agree that there is too much stress and overheating, but not 80more kilos!

Quote:
Then decide on a 4-Core Radiator, with a Thermostat, even a 4-core will not help.
What if i just add an extra fan in front of the radiator?

Quote:
PS - You want XD3P, Bigger Tyres, 4-Core Radiator, that is why I keep suggesting on a MM550XD
Old 29th March 2010, 12:41   #184
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
OK

Over heating happened only with three passengers (in the evening) and when towing the gypsy on inclines till the mechanic's.

It did not happen on the way back when there were only two of us in the jeep and the sun was at it's peak in the afternoon. Infact i got sunburnt, but the temp stayed at 80 throughout.

So it's to do with the little extra load on the engine i guess. But why is just the addition of one passenger causing so much stress. Towing a gypsy i can agree that there is too much stress and overheating, but not 80more kilos!

1. Adding an extra fan is just an emergency requirement. In no way does it solve any existing issues. I have done the same (but after moving to a 4 core- and replacing only the core and retaining the top and bottom after refurbishment ofcourse).

2. I also drive without the radiator cap on in the summer. I dont know how bad this is for the engine, but in the summer, I almost feel the engine begging me to do it. But this is a good thing to do whenever you're taking additional load or you see the temperature shooting up (but when this happens, please switch off the engine immediately and let the engine cool down fully before you open the radiator cap and top up).

Driving without the radiator cap is bad because:
1. Water evaporates. You need to constantly keep filling up.
2. There is no vacuum. Is this a problem?
3. Bad in winter because the water is probably not running at peak heat efficiency to manage the engine temperature better. (I probably just made this up).

Disclaimer (especially for Arka/Spike/BD): I know nothing about jeeps and I just love to drive them
Old 29th March 2010, 12:54   #185
BANNED

If you stress an engine it will overheat. If the overheating is seen even in normal use its an issue.

Dont fix it until its broken. My mantra when it comes to the Jeep. Problem is we dont get to know when its broken. Regular maintenance is required. Halve your service periods if you go on OTRs regularly.
Old 29th March 2010, 13:02   #186
Senior - BHPian

Holes

Quote:
Hi Tejas,

Why do you want to keep drilling holes in your JEEP.

The Push Fan will need a Alternator upgrade .

I installed a Ford Ikon Fan, in my MM540XD, in front of the radiator, to push air into the radiator at slow speeds, for TPC recce's in 2006.

I still have the fan but its disconnected.

These fans need a separate cut-out and draw a lot of current, and is pretty useless, with the thermostat.

Regards,

Arka
Old 29th March 2010, 13:16   #187
BHPian

Quote:
I had brand new green coolant coming out of the overflow pipe and i could hear it boiling in the radiator.

Best is to stop, open the bonnet and let the engine run till it cools down right?

My suggestions for overheating Jeeps/Engine or any old Jeeps

Done a month ago

Let me scout around for this. Any suggestions?

Done last month.

Already there.

How many more? What options in the market?

Will do next time.

Thinking about it. But as an auxiliary, not as a replacement to the fan driven one.

EDIT:
Arka, will do.

Do you suggest going in for a four core radiator upgrade?
Tejas,

Yes best way to cool off the engine is to stop and keep the engine running with the hood open for a while.

Since you are already tried most of the stuff I mentioned, As Arka suggested check the thermostat, even a rusty clogged thermostat valve can cause overheating. As a first step remove the thermostat and drive it for couple or OTR's and on Highways and monitor the engine temperature. If that solves your issue, keep it that way.But remember to put the thermostat back before the cold weather.

Hey, I just remembered. It could be due an old rusted waterpump aswell. Get that also checked.

Regarding upgrading the fan.. I am sure not what options are available in market. Check with Spike or Behram sir.

Yes I was talking about auxiliary electrical fan.. not as a replacement.

I still recommend removing the chaff screen, drive it on a highway and and see the difference .Bcos by looking at your Jeep pics.. I still feel that there is very little airflow reaching the radiator. I guess the paint has blocked the mesh completely or is it my eyes?

An impulsive buy - 1999 Mahindra Classic; Sold and bought back after 10 years!-05.jpg.jpeg

Quote:
Hi Tejas,

Regards,

Arka

Arka, I agree with you on advantages of chaff screen. But let Tejas try it and see the difference.

Shibu
Old 29th March 2010, 13:25   #188
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I still recommend removing the chaff screen, drive it on a highway and and see the difference .Bcos by looking at your Jeep pics.. I still feel that there is very little airflow reaching the radiator. I guess the paint has blocked the mesh completely or is it my eyes?

Arka, I agree with you on advantages of chaff screen. But let Tejas try it and see the difference.
Hi Shibu,

How much of a difference does it make?

I have seen a difference of less that 5 Degrees on OTRs.

Besides he has an OEM Chaff Screen, so air flow was definitely considered.

If there was very lil' air flowing through the Screen, then the JEEP would have frequently over heated.

But it will be an interesting experiment for the good Doctor, to conduct.

Regards,

Arka

PS - Shibu, I guess it is your eyes.
Old 29th March 2010, 13:31   #189
BANNED

Where Shibu's eyes are playing their trick are the vertical iconic slats that are behind the screen.
Old 29th March 2010, 13:31   #190
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
But this is a good thing to do whenever you're taking additional load or you see the temperature shooting up (but when this happens, please switch off the engine immediately
I have always read that open hood and keep engine running to circulate coolant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
If you stress an engine it will overheat. If the overheating is seen even in normal use its an issue.
That what i'm saying. Towing a gypsy is stress. But not with only three people in the jeep.

Quote:
Hey, I just remembered. It could be due an old rusted waterpump aswell. Get that also checked.

I guess the paint has blocked the mesh completely or is it my eyes?
Nope the paint hasn't blocked the mesh.

My waterpump is brand new (second one in three months). Read about that whole fiasco a few pages before.

Arka,

When are you in bombay? i think the best (for me) is for you to go over my jeep completely with a fine toothcomb!
Old 29th March 2010, 13:53   #191
BHPian

Hi Tejas,

After yesterday’s OTR I am also thinking of putting Electrical Fan in my Gypsy, not because it’s overheating but for the reason that it splashes the water in the every corner under hood.

In addition to timing Belt, air filter, rear bumper I also damaged my radiator & alternator (to be checked) yesterday.

I think it’s not always practical to remove the Belt of Fan every time when you enter into bonnet deep water, even it is worse when you have AC belt also in front of it. With electric fan you just need to switch it off. For sure the fan is the culprit for damaging my radiator yestd.

Cheers!
Alok
Old 29th March 2010, 14:44   #192
Senior - BHPian

Water Fording

Quote:
Arka,

When are you in bombay? i think the best (for me) is for you to go over my jeep completely with a fine toothcomb!
Hi Tejas,

Take up DB Sir's offer to visit Nasik, He has built more JEEPs in a day, than I will in my lifetime.

Besides I don't know much about CJ3B and variants.

Water Fording Obstacles (Higher than the wheels)

1) Avoid them at all costs, find a way around.

2) Be prepared
i) Snorkel for Air-Filter
ii) Differential Breathers 2 (Front/Back)
iii) Transmission Breather 2 (G-Box/T-Case)
iv) Clutch Assy (very difficult to seal or cover the Shifting Fork, try a Motor Cycle Rear View mirror rubber Boot)
v) Attach Front and Rear recovery straps
vi) Cover the bonnet and Radiator Grille with a Canvas Sheet from the Outside.
vi) For Petrol vehicles cover the Distributor and Ignition Coil with industrial gloves (100 Degrees C), Use Carrot Type Spark Plug Cables (Contessa)
vii) Seal/cover the Diesel Tank Cap and Check all filler hoses ( Filler & Breather M&M Rear Mounted Tanks)

3)Driving Through
i)Let the vehicle cool down for 10-30minutes before entering a Water Obstacle.
ii) Walk across the obstacle and observe the terrain.
iii) Select an entry and exit spot
iv) 2nd Gear Low Ratio, vary the Engine RPM/pump the throttle and gently enter the obstacle no spectacular splashes, increase vehicle speed with accelerator and crate a wave in front of the vehicle, this lowers the water level inside the engine Bay.
v) DO NOT CHANGE GEARS WHEN SUBMERGED, expect for changing direction i.e REVERSING
vi) Exit the Obstacle and Park the vehicle on a slope, chock the wheels (rock/wood/toolkit) and let the engine run, give time for the water to drain out.
vii) Pump the brakes to dry them and continue.

Regards,

Arka

PS - Overheating is also caused by Brakes getting jammed!!!!

Last edited by ex670c : 29th March 2010 at 14:51.
Old 29th March 2010, 15:10   #193
Senior - BHPian

Tejas can you post pics of your radiator area, radiator pressure cap?

Spike
Old 30th March 2010, 00:50   #194
BHPian

Quote:

Hi Shibu,

How much of a difference does it make?

I have seen a difference of less that 5 Degrees on OTRs.

Besides he has an OEM Chaff Screen, so air flow was definitely considered.

If there was very lil' air flowing through the Screen, then the JEEP would have frequently over heated.

But it will be an interesting experiment for the good Doctor, to conduct.

Regards,

Arka

PS - Shibu, I guess it is your eyes.
Arka, May be its my eyes. I wish Doc. Tejas was an Eye doctor.

Regarding the chaff screen and other suggestions... Arka, I am nothing compared to your expertise with Jeeps. But was trying to eliminate all the possibilities and nail the issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Where Shibu's eyes are playing their trick are the vertical iconic slats that are behind the screen.
Abhi,
No dude.. I was not talking about those vertical slats. Do you think my eyes will trick me after owning seven of those Iconic Seven Slotters!!

Quote:
Hi Tejas,

Why do you want to keep drilling holes in your JEEP.

The Push Fan will need a Alternator upgrade .

I installed a Ford Ikon Fan, in my MM540XD, in front of the radiator, to push air into the radiator at slow speeds, for TPC recce's in 2006.
I still have the fan but its disconnected.
These fans need a separate cut-out and draw a lot of current, and is pretty useless, with the thermostat.
Regards,
Arka
No drilling required... I am talking about these ones.

An impulsive buy - 1999 Mahindra Classic; Sold and bought back after 10 years!-img_0094.jpg.jpeg

This is not a Jeep, But I wanted to show the push air radiator fan fitment.

An impulsive buy - 1999 Mahindra Classic; Sold and bought back after 10 years!-radiator-fan.jpg
Old 30th March 2010, 10:20   #195
Senior - BHPian

JEEP Captain

Quote:
Regarding the chaff screen and other suggestions... Arka, I am nothing compared to your expertise with Jeeps. But was trying to eliminate all the possibilities and nail the issue.
Hi Shibu,

You are the JEEP CAPTAIN.

Personally I prefer to KEEP the M&M with minimal Electronics and Electricals.

A K.I.S.S works best with Mahindras.

Lets see what the good Doc. comes up with.

Regards,

Arka

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks