Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 30th March 2010, 11:13   #196
BHPian

Hi Arka,

What are these Carrot Type Spark Plug Cables (Contessa), it will be gr8 if u can post a pic for same.

Cheers!

Alok

Last edited by Crazy4Power : 30th March 2010 at 11:15.
Old 30th March 2010, 11:18   #197
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
Tejas can you post pics of your radiator area, radiator pressure cap?

Spike
Attached.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post

Lets see what the good Doc. comes up with.
Let's see. I topped up the radiator this morning. A lot of coolant had been lost from the overflow pipe due to boiling. Nearly 2.5 litres of the mixture went in. The excess coolant you see is what i splashed while filling.

Also cleaned the insect screen.

Will drive around with a full load of friends and see.
Attached Thumbnails
An impulsive buy - 1999 Mahindra Classic; Sold and bought back after 10 years!-phototomac-free-tejas-iphone-2.jpg  

An impulsive buy - 1999 Mahindra Classic; Sold and bought back after 10 years!-phototomac-free-tejas-iphone-4.jpg  

An impulsive buy - 1999 Mahindra Classic; Sold and bought back after 10 years!-phototomac-free-tejas-iphone-5.jpg  

An impulsive buy - 1999 Mahindra Classic; Sold and bought back after 10 years!-phototomac-free-tejas-iphone-6.jpg  

An impulsive buy - 1999 Mahindra Classic; Sold and bought back after 10 years!-phototomac-free-tejas-iphone-8.jpg  

Attached Images

Old 30th March 2010, 11:29   #198
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
Hi Shibu,

You are the JEEP CAPTAIN.
Personally I prefer to KEEP the M&M with minimal Electronics and Electricals.
A K.I.S.S works best with Mahindras.
Lets see what the good Doc. comes up with.
Regards,
Arka
Thank you Arka, Its just a name. I have used many Jeeps and driven them for more than 20+ years but when its comes to technicalities, I am no where compared to you, UBS, DB Sir ,DKG and many more in this forum.

Me too personally prefer Jeeps with minimal electronics or electricals. Yes absolutely ..K.I.S.S is the word for me too when it comes to Jeeps or any 4x4's. You must have noticed that in all my offroaders.

No Gimmicks.. Just basics!! I believe thats the way to go!!

Coming back to the Doctors Classic, do you think the overheating could be due to faulty head gasket.. if everything else is ruled out???

Shibu
Old 30th March 2010, 11:32   #199
BHPian

I think the radiator needs a pressure wash, looks clogged with mud.
Old 30th March 2010, 11:48   #200
Senior - BHPian

Tejas,

You said you experienced over-heating only since the last OTR. Do you top up coolant/Distilled Water before every OTR? My radiator lost a lot of fluid once due to the excessive sideways angle causing fluid to come out of the overflow pipe.

Santosh
Old 30th March 2010, 12:08   #201
Senior - BHPian

Gasket

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepCaptain View Post
Coming back to the Doctors Classic, do you think the overheating could be due to faulty head gasket.. if everything else is ruled out???
Hi Shibu,

The possibility of a damaged head gasket is there, but let the Doctor check the other issues.

i) Chaff Screen
ii) Radiator Cap
iii) Thermostat

I have experienced the coolant boiling out from the over flow tank, because of a damaged head gasket, compression was leaking into the water Jacket and heating up the coolant, but engine Temp. remained 70-80 Degrees C, as the Temp. Gauge is fitted on the engine Head .

Regards,

Arka

PS - Carrot Type Spark Plug Cables - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...t-pict0001.jpg
Old 30th March 2010, 12:20   #202
Distinguished - BHPian

Mr Behram Dhabhar just called me up. I answered all his questions. From my answers he thinks it's not a gasket issue since during normal drives i don't loose coolant. He is going to check my car up on saturday when he's in town.

The funny thing is that the jeep overheated in the evening with full coolant filled prior with three people and didn't overheat with loss of coolant in peak afternoon with two people on board.
Old 30th March 2010, 12:37   #203
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
Mr Behram Dhabhar just called me up. I answered all his questions. From my answers he thinks it's not a gasket issue since during normal drives i don't loose coolant. He is going to check my car up on saturday when he's in town.

The funny thing is that the jeep overheated in the evening with full coolant filled prior with three people and didn't overheat with loss of coolant in peak afternoon with two people on board.
Good that DB is going to check your Jeep personally.

Doctor, Let me tell you 2 or 3 people does not make any difference on this engine since its capable of carrying 20 people easily ( its a daily sight in the highranges of kerala where MM640DP's & MM750DP's which has the same XDP4.90 engine as your classic carries 20+ people)

I myself have put 2 Tons of raw rubber sheets along with 4 people on board on a MM540 and the vehicle moved with ease without any overheating.
I have even pulled a fully laden Tata407 LCV out from a mudpit with my 540.

Towing a Gypsy off the road can heat up the engine but 2 or 3 or even 5 people on board on cityroads or highways shouldnt make any difference.
Old 30th March 2010, 13:38   #204
Distinguished - BHPian

I second the radiator being clogged. Tejas, have you ever serviced the radiator since picking it up?
Old 30th March 2010, 13:56   #205
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
I second the radiator being clogged. Tejas, have you ever serviced the radiator since picking it up?
Yes. when i bought her in november. Left overnight after adding radiator cleaner. Then completely flushed and new coolant and water pump.

Only not completely removed it and scrubbed every pipe individually.

The coolant that overflowed was also perfect green in colour. No traces of rust.

EDIT:

Shibu, that's what's funny that with the addition of just one person it overheated.

Last edited by Tejas@perioimpl : 30th March 2010 at 13:56. Reason: see edit
Old 30th March 2010, 14:32   #206
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
EDIT:

Shibu, that's what's funny that with the addition of just one person it overheated.
Then that one person is a bad omen. Avoid taking that person
Old 4th April 2010, 12:16   #207
Distinguished - BHPian

I met up with Mr Behram yesterday. We had a very long chat and then we went and inspected my jeep and took a short test drive.

I got to learn tons of stuff regarding how the cooling system works. We narrowed down the heating problem to the fact that the radiator cap was faulty. The previous owner had cut the inner rubber seal. Thus, there was no pressure build up and the water was boiling at 100C rather than ~110C.
The gasket problem is ruled out.

I'll post pics and explain in detail later.
Old 4th April 2010, 13:29   #208
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
Tejas can you post pics of your radiator area, radiator pressure cap?

Spike
Quote:
We narrowed down the heating problem to the fact that the radiator cap was faulty. The previous owner had cut the inner rubber seal. Thus, there was no pressure build up and the water was boiling at 100C rather than ~110C.
Tejas, please refer my earlier post. Although, you had posted pics of the engine bay with radiator I think you forgot the radiator cap which was also mentioned. Good to hear that you have found the culprit. What about your radiator? Did he ask you to get it flushed or is it clean? Please post pics of the cap if possible.

Spike

P.S. Please teach us a few things about the cooling system.

Last edited by SPIKE ARRESTOR : 4th April 2010 at 13:39. Reason: add info
Old 6th April 2010, 00:11   #209
BHPian

Quote:
I met up with Mr Behram yesterday. We had a very long chat and then we went and inspected my jeep and took a short test drive.
I got to learn tons of stuff regarding how the cooling system works.
Tejas, you are too lucky to have your Jeep checked with the bestest mech in India.

Quote:
We narrowed down the heating problem to the fact that the radiator cap was faulty. The previous owner had cut the inner rubber seal. Thus, there was no pressure build up and the water was boiling at 100C rather than ~110C.

A faulty radiator cap after three pages of discussion here??

Glad the issued is fixed now.
Old 6th April 2010, 01:26   #210
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I got to learn tons of stuff regarding how the cooling system works. We narrowed down the heating problem to the fact that the radiator cap was faulty. The previous owner had cut the inner rubber seal. Thus, there was no pressure build up and the water was boiling at 100C rather than ~110C.

I remember this was an issue with my Merc W126 300SEL. It would touch 90-100 for no rhyme or reason. I almost attributed it to a faulty gasket till one friendly mech came over with another radiator cap and presto it fixed the problem. The rubber seal was faulty on the old one, so even when appearing to close perfectly, it was actually no pressure building up. Phew, i cant imagine what would have happened had i sent it to the authorized service stations who had recommended a gasket check (read change)
Glad the problem is sorted.

Most Viewed