Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 6th April 2010, 12:10   #211
Distinguished - BHPian

Shibu, aka JeepCaptain sent me the following from Dubai, via a friend.

- A kinetic energy recovery strap (my chassis thanks you my friend)
- Grab handles (will be very useful once i get the roll cage ready)

Thanks a lot Shibu.
Attached Thumbnails
An impulsive buy - 1999 Mahindra Classic; Sold and bought back after 10 years!-phototomac-free-tejas-iphone-17.jpg  

An impulsive buy - 1999 Mahindra Classic; Sold and bought back after 10 years!-phototomac-free-tejas-iphone-18.jpg  

An impulsive buy - 1999 Mahindra Classic; Sold and bought back after 10 years!-phototomac-free-tejas-iphone-19.jpg  

Old 6th April 2010, 14:36   #212
Senior - BHPian

Awesome stuff. Im going to Dubai next month, will pick these up too. Im sure Shibhu knows what hes doing. Also awaiting your report on these things. Tejas, why are you getting a custom roll bar fabricated, you think that the original one on the classic is not good enough? Asking coz i am on the verge of getting a classic bar and the hood with doors for my CJ.
Old 6th April 2010, 15:11   #213
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Awesome stuff. Im going to Dubai next month, will pick these up too. Im sure Shibhu knows what hes doing.
Oh, yeah, he does. And he has a good connections, so he's get's good deals as well. He's also picked up a trail flag and an extreme hi lift jack for me and will get it down himself when he comes next.

Quote:
Also awaiting your report on these things.
We may get to use them during this weekend's OTR. And Gogi, "ditch" this time!

Quote:
Tejas, why are you getting a custom roll bar fabricated, you think that the original one on the classic is not good enough? Asking coz i am on the verge of getting a classic bar and the hood with doors for my CJ.
Two reasons:

- One, i'm paranoid and really believe in safety first. Also, in case of a tumble, without the front roll bar, the windshield will break because a lot of weight will come on it and i really don't know if it will be able to take the load.

- Secondly: during ruts and sideway inclines, since there is no door, there is no way to hang on! Gypsy and MM5xx owners have doors! So atleast i can attach the grab handle to the connecting member of the front roll bar and use one hand to grab on it during sideway tilts.

Anyways, you get the classic rollbar. This is just an add on. I'm still finding a person who can cold bend a pipe for me. When i do,i will let you know and maybe get one fabricated for you as well!

Last edited by Tejas@perioimpl : 6th April 2010 at 15:14. Reason: typo
Old 7th April 2010, 12:05   #214
Senior - BHPian

@Tejas
Thats really good stuff buddy Congrats
Again buddy thanks providing me details on the soft top and door, bars etc.
I wanted to clarify one aspect about the price of 10-11k that the guy quoted you What all does it include and do you have any pictures of the stuff that this guy provides?
Sorry for any inconvenience.
cheers
Old 7th April 2010, 12:09   #215
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
@Tejas
Thats really good stuff buddy Congrats
Again buddy thanks providing me details on the soft top and door, bars etc.
I wanted to clarify one aspect about the price of 10-11k that the guy quoted you What all does it include and do you have any pictures of the stuff that this guy provides?
Sorry for any inconvenience.
cheers
Hi harjeev,

He provides the following:

Black soft top
One soft top aluminum frame which goes in front of the classic standard roll bar
One Y type aluminum frame which goes behind the classic standard roll bar
(+ mounting parts for both)
a set of 2 doors (aluminum framed) with black door fabric and zipper style windows.

I'll click snaps and post tonight.

Last edited by Tejas@perioimpl : 7th April 2010 at 12:10. Reason: typo
Old 7th April 2010, 20:31   #216
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
Shibu, aka JeepCaptain sent me the following from Dubai, via a friend.

- A kinetic energy recovery strap (my chassis thanks you my friend)
- Grab handles (will be very useful once i get the roll cage ready)

Thanks a lot Shibu.
No problem Tejas. You are most welcome. Anything for Jeeps and Jeepers.

Now waiting for the report of your kinetic strap and grab handles.
Old 9th April 2010, 13:11   #217
Distinguished - BHPian

The Radiator Cap Story

A basic functioning of the cooling system is as follows: the water pump circulates the coolant through the engine and the radiator. The radiator cools the coolant down. Now the weak point of the whole system is the hose pipe. If it is in bad shape or there is increase pressure, the pipe will burst.

We all know that water boils at a higher temperature under pressure. The radiator cap of my jeep is designed in such a way that it exerts 14 pounds of pressure causing the water to boil at a higher temp of approx 110 degrees centigrade. As soon as the pressure increases, the valve in the cap actuates and the coolant overflows through the pipe.

What mechanics do is that they make a small cut or remove the entire inner rubber seal. Thus, there is no pressure exerted and thus no stress on the hose pipe. However, now the water boils at 100 deg centigrade and this leads to overheating and loss of coolant from the overflow pipe.

See the attached pics. There is a small nick in the inner rubber lining in my radiator cap.

There is another valve in the cap as well. The small metal bit in the centre. When the coolant heats, it expands in quantity. Now when you switch off the jeep and it cools, it comes back to normal temp. this creates a vacuum and pulls the center metal bit which let's in air / coolant from the overflow tank. If this valve is not working, it will cause the hose pipe to collapse inward.

Thus, the radiator cap needs to be checked throughly.

Behram, thanks for the gyaan. Please check, is this cap OK?

Hose pipe story next.
Attached Images

Last edited by Tejas@perioimpl : 9th April 2010 at 13:15. Reason: added picture
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2010, 13:52   #218
Senior - BHPian

I believe most of you guys may be knowing this but will still add on, The two valves are called as Pressure relief valve and Vaccum relief valve respectively.

Spike
SPIKE ARRESTOR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th April 2010, 15:01   #219
Senior - BHPian

@tejas
Thanks for sharing the gyan.

Now a question
I've noticed some vehicles been driven without their radiator caps and when the engine has been newly rebuilt the mechanic sometimes say that we should remove the cap and drive just like that or with a cloth stuffed inside the radiator.
Based on what Behram sir has shared with you, the above practice should be avoided. Pl clarify??
Also to thing the other way if the water or coolant without the radiator cap, boils at 100 degrees isn't that better as this will keep the engine temperature at or below 100 degrees???
Old 9th April 2010, 15:13   #220
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
@tejas
Thanks for sharing the gyan.

Now a question
I've noticed some vehicles been driven without their radiator caps and when the engine has been newly rebuilt the mechanic sometimes say that we should remove the cap and drive just like that or with a cloth stuffed inside the radiator.
Based on what Behram sir has shared with you, the above practice should be avoided. Pl clarify??
Also to thing the other way if the water or coolant without the radiator cap, boils at 100 degrees isn't that better as this will keep the engine temperature at or below 100 degrees???
To boil water, you need heat. Once it boils, it turns to steam. Thus, as long as water is in liquid state, it will absorb more heat and once it turns to steam, it looses this property.

There, we increase the pressure to keep the water in liquid state. However, the amount of pressure we can keep depends on the hose pipe rating, radiator, etc.

Thus, for the Jeeps it is 14pounds.

I had asked behram the same question about no radiator caps. he said this is because if the hose pipes are not maintained, they will burst. So the mechanics normally remove the seal and have a happy customer who does not return with a burst pipe. Most of these customers are anyways city users and not high mileage users.

Another gyaan i got was that he said it is better to fill distilled water than coolant. Coolant basically is used as antifreeze (not required in bombay). Advantage of water is that it absorbs more "calories" than coolant to boil. He gave me figures too, but i forgot. Thus, water is more efficient. Distilled, so that you don't introduce impurities.

Last edited by Tejas@perioimpl : 9th April 2010 at 15:14. Reason: typo
Old 9th April 2010, 15:27   #221
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
To boil water, you need heat. Once it boils, it turns to steam. Thus, as long as water is in liquid state, it will absorb more heat and once it turns to steam, it looses this property.

There, we increase the pressure to keep the water in liquid state. However, the amount of pressure we can keep depends on the hose pipe rating, radiator, etc.

Thus, for the Jeeps it is 14pounds.

I had asked behram the same question about no radiator caps. he said this is because if the hose pipes are not maintained, they will burst. So the mechanics normally remove the seal and have a happy customer who does not return with a burst pipe. Most of these customers are anyways city users and not high mileage users.

Another gyaan i got was that he said it is better to fill distilled water than coolant. Coolant basically is used as antifreeze (not required in bombay). Advantage of water is that it absorbs more "calories" than coolant to boil. He gave me figures too, but i forgot. Thus, water is more efficient. Distilled, so that you don't introduce impurities.
Tejas, Maybe you are right, but, in my undrstanding and knowledge coolants contain Gycols, and which reduce the freezing point of the liquid as also the boiling point! So that the normal boiling point of plain water goes up to 110*C with the right quantity of coolant concentrate in it. That way the water does not boil over and get thrown out as soon. Offcourse the other items in in the line must be able to withstand the higher pressures as well as temperature, and which all modern German and Jap cars are designed to.
Old 9th April 2010, 15:35   #222
Distinguished - BHPian

True. I heard in newer cars the water boils at 140 degrees centigrade. Thus pressures must be very high.

I frankly don't know too much about coolants. This was told to me by behram. However, now that you have mentioned glycols et al, let me do a little research and get back.

BTW, did you check the radiator cap of your gypsy?
Old 9th April 2010, 16:14   #223
Senior - BHPian

Tejas,

The Radiator cap you got is a great one. It retains so much pressure inside that even after a week of parking the jeep, it gives a POP effect when I open it to check the water level.
Old 9th April 2010, 16:55   #224
Team-BHP Support

Santhosh please guide me the direction to shop where i can pick one of these
Old 9th April 2010, 22:36   #225
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
Tejas,

The Radiator cap you got is a great one. It retains so much pressure inside that even after a week of parking the jeep, it gives a POP effect when I open it to check the water level.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Santhosh please guide me the direction to shop where i can pick one of these
+ 1 Santosh please let me know too. Even i want one for my 550.

Most Viewed