Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th April 2010, 23:06   #226
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgnishanth View Post
+ 1 Santosh please let me know too. Even i want one for my 550.
Nishant, Santosh got it from CAR automobiles. Also available in Prestige.
Old 9th April 2010, 23:15   #227
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by star_aqua View Post
Nishant, Santosh got it from CAR automobiles. Also available in Prestige.
Thanks vijay.

@tejas:
Thanks for the cooling system explanation man. Good of you to share the knowledge.

Nishanth
Old 9th April 2010, 23:25   #228
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Tejas - cap is correct. Check the vertical dimension of the neck v/s cap. Cap dimension in free condition (not fitted on neck) must be slightly more than neck dimension. The amount of pressing down pre-loads the spring to a set design value, for it to work at correct pressure during running.

Did you change the top hose pipe?

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2010, 11:09   #229
Distinguished - BHPian

Not changed the pipe as yet. My regular mech is not in town and didn't want to go to his subordinate.

The cap fits as you said. Will take more pics and post.

Jaggu, if you can't find it, i'll send it from here. But please ask behram what pressure for your hurricane?
Old 17th April 2010, 20:12   #230
Distinguished - BHPian

Well, another problem was overdue and lo, it happened.

Did the Alibaug OTR last weekend. Everyone must have seen the snaps. The water fording wasn't much either.

Got the car serviced on tuesday and drove it on thursday for a while as well. However, no issue till then.

This evening, tried to crank the jeep but nope nothing happened. Checked other electricals, the lights, etc worked and battery was showing approx 9 volts.
All i was getting was a khrrrrr sound on cranking. Checked for earthing somewhere, removed the deck, etc and tried again but to no avail.

I'm not an electrical guy, so called my regular honda mechanic who's closeby. He saw and said the starter motor is gone. Apparently only the "bandage" is moving. Whatever that means.

Anyways, found out that a new one costs 5500 bucks here. So he's taken this one out and will try to repair it.

Now why did it happen? Any ideas?

Another thing i noticed is that after the last OTR near the sea, the rusting process has accelerated very quickly (especially the air filter cover and the exhaust manifold. even the pulley has rusted). See all the rust in the engine bay area. It wasn't like this before. Any idea how to prevent it for the future? Anything needs to be replaced now?
Attached Thumbnails
An impulsive buy - 1999 Mahindra Classic; Sold and bought back after 10 years!-phototomac-free-tejas-iphone-20.jpg  

An impulsive buy - 1999 Mahindra Classic; Sold and bought back after 10 years!-phototomac-free-tejas-iphone-21.jpg  

Last edited by Tejas@perioimpl : 17th April 2010 at 20:16. Reason: typo
Old 17th April 2010, 20:21   #231
Distinguished - BHPian

Starter Motor: Water gone in and shorted. I am pretty sure your alternator is busted too.

Next time, go easy on the whole water fording thing. Or just be prepared to work on the starter motor and alternator.
Old 17th April 2010, 20:24   #232
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Starter Motor: Water gone in and shorted. I am pretty sure your alternator is busted too.

Next time, go easy on the whole water fording thing. Or just be prepared to work on the starter motor and alternator.
That was my first thought. But why after a week? Could it be due to water jet while servicing?
Old 17th April 2010, 20:43   #233
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
That was my first thought. But why after a week? Could it be due to water jet while servicing?
Water could have also stayed in and then the inside of your starter motor gets rusted. That is how it usually always happens in a Starter motor after water fording.
Old 17th April 2010, 20:48   #234
BANNED

Quote:
Apparently only the "bandage" is moving. Whatever that means.
He must have meant Starter Bendix.

Water + dust + weeks time == Starter Kaput.

Have it serviced and check for shorted electrical wires.

You can push start it.
Old 17th April 2010, 20:55   #235
Senior - BHPian

This is what water does to the electricals. I too learnt this the hard way and at the end changed the alternator and the starter motor on my MM550. That was the last of any water fording, jumping etc etc for me!!!
Now I am really careful.
Old 17th April 2010, 21:05   #236
BHPian

Fascinating thread. I myself am thinking about picking up a Jeep Rubicon (Chrysler) here, for my wife.
Old 19th April 2010, 11:04   #237
Distinguished - BHPian

Just got a call from the mechanic. The starter has been repaired. Couldn't speak to him much so don't know what had gone wrong. Will get details in the evening.

BTW, my pulley is completely brown with rust. Should i replace it or just sand paper it down?

Last edited by Tejas@perioimpl : 19th April 2010 at 11:06. Reason: typo
Old 19th April 2010, 12:32   #238
Team-BHP Support

Nothing much you can do apart from drying the engine bay thoroughly after a water wash, i usually park the vehicle (even the swift) with bay open for couple of hours after a wash and blow dry. I dont like the idea of smearing oil or diesel inside the bay after wash.

Rudra has done a 3M protection inside the engine bay on his Optra, this is a very good idea if you dont mind splurging.
Old 20th April 2010, 10:53   #239
Distinguished - BHPian

The starter motor is back. Starts on first crank. However, the battery indicator light is on. Drove for a while thinking battery may be down but the light does not go. The volt meter shows 11volts approx.
Old 20th April 2010, 11:47   #240
BHPian

Quote:
The starter motor is back. Starts on first crank. However, the battery indicator light is on. Drove for a while thinking battery may be down but the light does not go. The volt meter shows 11volts approx.
Then must be alternator gone kaput. Please check for alternator voltage and make sure fan belt is intact.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks