Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th April 2010, 08:52   #256
BHPian

Hi Tejas

Do you have the stock radiator?

the stock radiator tends to be a little inadequate , if you can fit a radiator with a larger core.

If your cooling sytem is effecient , the temp gauge will hover around 60-70 degreesc.
Old 26th April 2010, 12:20   #257
Team-BHP Support

Technically a loose belt is an issue, especially at higher engine speeds when the fan will not be working at max efficiency.
Old 27th April 2010, 11:58   #258
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Technically a loose belt is an issue, especially at higher engine speeds when the fan will not be working at max efficiency.
I got the belt tension rechecked by two independent mechanics and they both said that the tension is fine. Although i think it should be a bit more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motocamp View Post
Hi Tejas

Do you have the stock radiator?

the stock radiator tends to be a little inadequate , if you can fit a radiator with a larger core.

If your cooling sytem is effecient , the temp gauge will hover around 60-70 degreesc.
Yep, i'm on a stock radiator.

Last edited by Tejas@perioimpl : 27th April 2010 at 12:01. Reason: typo
Old 27th April 2010, 13:34   #259
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
I got the belt tension rechecked by two independent mechanics and they both said that the tension is fine. Although i think it should be a bit more.

Yep, i'm on a stock radiator.
Doc, Now I suspect the head gasket. But dont do anything now- keep an eye on the radiator coolant for any trace of carbon or oil and get it checked/replaced when you go for your next oil change.

Also consider changing the radiator to 3 or 4 core one and the fan to one with more leaves.

Are you flushing the radiator with heavy duty radiator flush (chemical) or just using water??
Old 27th April 2010, 13:50   #260
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepCaptain View Post
Doc, Now I suspect the head gasket. But dont do anything now- keep an eye on the radiator coolant for any trace of carbon or oil and get it checked/replaced when you go for your next oil change.

Also consider changing the radiator to 3 or 4 core one and the fan to one with more leaves.

Are you flushing the radiator with heavy duty radiator flush (chemical) or just using water??
When Jeep was checked by behram, he said gasket is fine. Coolant is nice and green.

When it was flushed 5months ago, it was done only with water(jet). No chemical solvents.

Now using a mixture of water and coolant.
Old 27th April 2010, 14:36   #261
Senior - BHPian

Pressure Washed

Quote:
. Radiator pressure washed just before the Otr.
Hi Tejas,

Did you remove the brush guard and clean the radiator fins directly with a jet of water (pressurised)?

Regards,

Arka
Old 27th April 2010, 14:40   #262
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
Hi Tejas,

Did you remove the brush guard and clean the radiator fins directly with a jet of water (pressurised)?

Regards,

Arka
Yes, removed the insect guard and used the jet to clean the fins.
Old 27th April 2010, 16:06   #263
BHPian

Quote:
When Jeep was checked by behram, he said gasket is fine. Coolant is nice and green.

When it was flushed 5months ago, it was done only with water(jet). No chemical solvents.

Now using a mixture of water and coolant.
Try one of these next time. I use this on my Gypsy and Jeeps and its does clean or remove rust better than water jet.

Alternatively you can take it to you radiator repair shop and ask them to clean it and they use some acid and looks like brand new after they clean it.

An impulsive buy - 1999 Mahindra Classic; Sold and bought back after 10 years!-c_radiator_flush287ml.jpg.jpeg

An impulsive buy - 1999 Mahindra Classic; Sold and bought back after 10 years!-radiator-flush.jpg.jpeg

An impulsive buy - 1999 Mahindra Classic; Sold and bought back after 10 years!-prestonecoolsys1.jpg.jpeg
Old 27th April 2010, 16:09   #264
Senior - BHPian

FIN-ished

Quote:
Yes, removed the insect guard and used the jet to clean the fins.
Hi Tejas,

Like Fish, The Radiator works best with FINS.

I think you have literally CLEANED the fins.

Regards,

Arka

PS - Please check the Gear Box/T-Case/Diff-Oil levels.

Last edited by ex670c : 27th April 2010 at 16:12.
Old 27th April 2010, 16:15   #265
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
Hi Tejas,

Like Fish, The Radiator works best with FINS.

I think you have literally CLEANED the fins.

Regards,

Arka

PS - Please check the Gear Box/T-Case/Diff-Oil levels.
Going for a service tomorrow. Will check the same.
Old 27th April 2010, 18:12   #266
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Tejas - same question again. After the "so-called" overheating episode, did you get physical coolant / water loss out of the radiator when you checked next morning in dead cold condition before starting the engine? Yes or No. Please reply.

If no, just remove the chaff screen and drive. Mass airflow through the radiator will improve. The ambient is just too much nowadays so we need to make some allowance for it.

If yes, how many ccs? (approximately of course), then engine parameters will need to be investigated, starting with valve clearances etc. "Tight" tappets will contribute by indirect change of engine parameters.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 27th April 2010, 19:59   #267
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Tejas - same question again. After the "so-called" overheating episode, did you get physical coolant / water loss out of the radiator when you checked next morning in dead cold condition before starting the engine? Yes or No. Please reply.

If no, just remove the chaff screen and drive. Mass airflow through the radiator will improve. The ambient is just too much nowadays so we need to make some allowance for it.

If yes, how many ccs? (approximately of course), then engine parameters will need to be investigated, starting with valve clearances etc. "Tight" tappets will contribute by indirect change of engine parameters.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
No need to add any coolant. I checked and the level is just perfect. I guess i will remove the insect screen.
Old 8th May 2010, 18:02   #268
Distinguished - BHPian

We are planning a night OTR today as a welcome to Vinod Nookala to the bombay circuit.
So, as a precaution, i took the Jeep for a pressure wash of the radiator.

A few things i noticed:

1. The drive to the petrol pump was less than a kilometer. The temp needle hardly moved to 60. But when i removed the insect grill, i could feel a lot of heat coming from the radiator and i had to move my hand away in a minute. Even as the spraying was done, one could feel the hot mist returning. Is this heating normal?

2. Approximately 1/4th area of the radiator, there is a coating of red paint on the fins. Apparently whoever painted the car before i purchased it, must have spray painted the insect screen while it was still attached. Is this ok, or do i need to remove the paint. If yes; how? Thinner or replace the radiator?
Old 21st May 2010, 14:11   #269
Distinguished - BHPian

Updates:

Drove 3.5 hours one way to a night otr and 3.5 hours back with 5 people in the car totally. Only thing i did was remove the insect screen and pressure wash the radiator before leaving. No over heating at all; needle constant at 80. Only when i really pushed to approx 90kmph with 5 people did the needle go to 82-83.

Long awaited pics of my rear bench install. I had an old metal case lying at home with a really thick gauge metal. Sand papered and spray painted it. Took it to the welders and got it fixed to the rear bench. The whole thing is then nut bolted to the tub using existing drain holes.

The side seats needed to be modified slightly and reduced in width.
Attached Thumbnails
An impulsive buy - 1999 Mahindra Classic; Sold and bought back after 10 years!-23769_380489677084_628012084_4195601_6504648_n.jpg  

An impulsive buy - 1999 Mahindra Classic; Sold and bought back after 10 years!-photo-2.jpg  

An impulsive buy - 1999 Mahindra Classic; Sold and bought back after 10 years!-photo-3.jpg  

An impulsive buy - 1999 Mahindra Classic; Sold and bought back after 10 years!-photo-4.jpg  

An impulsive buy - 1999 Mahindra Classic; Sold and bought back after 10 years!-photo.jpg  

An impulsive buy - 1999 Mahindra Classic; Sold and bought back after 10 years!-photo-5.jpg  

Old 21st May 2010, 16:03   #270
Team-BHP Support

Thats a very innovative storage box you have got Tejas I also need to figure out something like this to accommodate more stuff inside and make it lockable.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks