Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th July 2010, 13:32   #301
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
@ Tejas, I highly recommend you take a spin in my Jeep before deciding on the swap.
Will do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtreme power View Post
tejas,
you know we have that brilliant choice also, which is arka approved
Yes! Stage 2 post monsoons. Am quite excited about it.
Old 10th July 2010, 12:34   #302
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post

@ Red Liner: you took some pics of my roll cage during the EXAMM! Please post them here till i get to my jeep.
Here you go. Pictures of your roll cage from a variety of angles:
Attached Thumbnails
An impulsive buy - 1999 Mahindra Classic; Sold and bought back after 10 years!-img_3090.jpg  

An impulsive buy - 1999 Mahindra Classic; Sold and bought back after 10 years!-img_3091.jpg  

An impulsive buy - 1999 Mahindra Classic; Sold and bought back after 10 years!-img_3092.jpg  

An impulsive buy - 1999 Mahindra Classic; Sold and bought back after 10 years!-img_3093.jpg  

An impulsive buy - 1999 Mahindra Classic; Sold and bought back after 10 years!-img_3094.jpg  

An impulsive buy - 1999 Mahindra Classic; Sold and bought back after 10 years!-img_3095.jpg  

An impulsive buy - 1999 Mahindra Classic; Sold and bought back after 10 years!-img_3096.jpg  

An impulsive buy - 1999 Mahindra Classic; Sold and bought back after 10 years!-img_3097.jpg  

Old 11th July 2010, 21:54   #303
Distinguished - BHPian

Visited Allan's workshop today. A few pics of the snorkel. Work still in progress.
Attached Thumbnails
An impulsive buy - 1999 Mahindra Classic; Sold and bought back after 10 years!-p7110414.jpg  

An impulsive buy - 1999 Mahindra Classic; Sold and bought back after 10 years!-p7110415.jpg  

An impulsive buy - 1999 Mahindra Classic; Sold and bought back after 10 years!-p7110416.jpg  

An impulsive buy - 1999 Mahindra Classic; Sold and bought back after 10 years!-p7110417.jpg  

An impulsive buy - 1999 Mahindra Classic; Sold and bought back after 10 years!-p7110418.jpg  

Old 11th July 2010, 23:28   #304
BHPian

Tejas: What happened to your audio install ?
Old 11th July 2010, 23:34   #305
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madbullram View Post
Tejas: What happened to your audio install ?
The deck is integrated in the custom dash. The speakers are right now fitted in a box which is just placed in the back. Still finding a suitable place to fix the speakers.
Old 11th July 2010, 23:39   #306
BHPian

Why not fabricate something like this:
Centra-Pod Speaker Enclosure with Speakers - Alpine Jeep Ltd. - Centra-Pod Speaker Enclosure with Speakers

Saves space and also if you plan for amp sub (WIP for me)
This is another model I am looking at Intra Pod - Center Console - no speaker or amp - Alpine Jeep Ltd. - Intra Pod - Center Console - no speaker or amp

Btw: Just spent 1.5 hrs and read the entire....AWESOME is the word for you
Old 11th July 2010, 23:53   #307
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madbullram View Post
Thanks for the links. I unfortunately don't have space to place the speakers (as shown in the links) since my custom dash is there.

However, i still have a ace up my sleeve. Watch this space!

Quote:
Btw: Just spent 1.5 hrs and read the entire....AWESOME is the word for you
Thanks buddy!

Last edited by Tejas@perioimpl : 11th July 2010 at 23:56. Reason: typo
Old 11th July 2010, 23:55   #308
BHPian

Watching it close and also anything under your sleeve for making the jeep safe.
Old 4th August 2010, 17:18   #309
Senior - BHPian

Hey Tejas
As its been a couple of months since you've been using 31" tyres so could you please share your experiences regarding the change in the road and off-road handling characteristics of the CLASSIC
Also any idea what diff ratios are you running??

The reason I am bugging you with all these questions as I too am contemplating an upgrade in the tyre size and am not sure whether to change the front and rear diffs along with the tyres or just go for a shackle lift now and leave the diff upgrade for later.
Also where did you buy these shackles from and are they available ex-stock or need to be specially fabricated??
Considering the increase in the width of the tyre, did you switch to negative offset alloys to compensate the increase in the width so that the tyres do not rub the body on lock to lock cutting??
I assume that you must be using 31" 11.50" 15's Big Horns

As both the CJ3B & the CLASSIC are siblings your info/ suggestion would be of great help!
Thanks
Old 4th August 2010, 17:46   #310
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
Hey Tejas
As its been a couple of months since you've been using 31" tyres so could you please share your experiences regarding the change in the road and off-road handling characteristics of the CLASSIC
Also any idea what diff ratios are you running??

The reason I am bugging you with all these questions as I too am contemplating an upgrade in the tyre size and am not sure whether to change the front and rear diffs along with the tyres or just go for a shackle lift now and leave the diff upgrade for later.
Also where did you buy these shackles from and are they available ex-stock or need to be specially fabricated??
Considering the increase in the width of the tyre, did you switch to negative offset alloys to compensate the increase in the width so that the tyres do not rub the body on lock to lock cutting??
I assume that you must be using 31" 11.50" 15's Big Horns

As both the CJ3B & the CLASSIC are siblings your info/ suggestion would be of great help!
Thanks
My bighorns are 31" x 10.5 x 15

My original alloys were 6.5J with positive offset. I had to change them. I could not find a 10.5J rim so settled for 8.5J negative offset rally rims.

The shackles were custom fabricated by allan.

I'm running the stock 4.88 dif. I have not noticed any significant difference / reduction in performance as of now. However, i have done a lot of slush runs and not major climbs, etc to feel the need to change to 5.38. Maybe after monsoons when i shift to dif terrain requiring more torque i may feel a difference.

The lift is scary no doubt and you are always scared of tipping over (although the jeep is stable, it's a mental block). I don't corner at fast speeds at all. I'm seriously considering shifting to mm550 axles which are 3" wider than the classic ones. It's help a bit with the stability.

The lift and bigger tyres are a boon 100%. The ramp over angle has drastically improved!
Old 4th August 2010, 21:24   #311
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

@harjeev: Shackle lift will only increase your body height but the lowest point in your diff and GC will not change. Only larger tires will increase your GC and improve your overhangs/rampover angles. When you put larger tires a shackle lift helps prevent the larger tires fowling with the body. A shackle lift alone is not very useful in my opinion.

You can get slightly longer shackles. I put these on my MM540. If you are not able to source them there, let me know and I'll try to source them for you in kerala/chennai. They are not as long as Tejas' but longer than OEMs.

Last edited by 4x4addict : 4th August 2010 at 21:26.
Old 4th August 2010, 21:33   #312
BHPian

Quote:
The lift and bigger tyres are a boon 100%. The ramp over angle has drastically improved!
@Harjeev: Dont forget to budget for the power steering that you will have to put in to steer the bighorns!
genesis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2010, 22:33   #313
AVR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
@harjeev: Shackle lift will only increase your body height but the lowest point in your diff and GC will not change. Only larger tires will increase your GC and improve your overhangs/rampover angles. When you put larger tires a shackle lift helps prevent the larger tires fowling with the body. A shackle lift alone is not very useful in my opinion.

You can get slightly longer shackles. I put these on my MM540. If you are not able to source them there, let me know and I'll try to source them for you in kerala/chennai. They are not as long as Tejas' but longer than OEMs.
So if you are just going for an upgrade to 31 inch tyres, Can just having shackle lifts suffice? I have a 540 and while I want bigger tyres like the ones Tejas has, I dont want to change the rims from FC 5.5x15 rims as I still haven't like any of the alloys that I have seen. Will I need to add spacers or just shackles suffice?

Cheers,
Adi
Old 4th August 2010, 23:18   #314
Distinguished - BHPian

@4x4addict
You are confusing with body lift. The shackle lift in addition to being used to accommodate articulation also improves ramp over angles because the skid plate which is the lowest part in the center does rise up.

Harjeev, yup I have a bolero PS

AVR, what's the offset of the rims?

Last edited by Tejas@perioimpl : 4th August 2010 at 23:21.
Old 4th August 2010, 23:27   #315
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

My original alloys were 6.5J with positive offset. I had to change them. I could not find a 10.5J rim so settled for 8.5J negative offset rally rims.
You were trying to get 10.5J rim for a 31x10.5 tyre? The ideal rim width for 10.5 tyre would be 7.5 to 9 inches. So your current rims are perfect.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks