Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 10th January 2011, 12:39   #406
Team-BHP Support

Re: An impulsive buy- 1999 Mahindra Classic; Now Sold. Another project now in the off

Guru to be fair to DB and team, though quality of plastics etc are bad. The way the whole vehicle is put together is quite good. Afterall it is brand new parts combo and it should be much more trouble free than the rebuilds we do. Finish also is quite good in most of the areas IMHO
Old 10th January 2011, 12:51   #407
Senior - BHPian

Re: An impulsive buy- 1999 Mahindra Classic; Now Sold. Another project now in the off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Guru to be fair to DB and team, though quality of plastics etc are bad. The way the whole vehicle is put together is quite good. Afterall it is brand new parts combo and it should be much more trouble free than the rebuilds we do. Finish also is quite good in most of the areas IMHO
I guess they let the interns take-over when it came to the dashboard, roll-cage, side-steps, door panels, window winders, front windshield etc.

And Jaggu - you and I both know some of the builders and their attention to detail and I am sure you will agree that their products would never leave the garage with any "jugaadery"
Old 10th January 2011, 13:03   #408
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsferrari View Post

I can confidently say that some of the creations of Teambhp members are built to a higher specification and quality than the "Production Vehicle" called Thar.

This is not an attempt to start a healthy debate...it is a no-contest from the beginning.

DIYers 1 - M&M 0
Oh come on Guru, AFAIK there is only 1 DIYer (in the 4x4 section of the forum). Yes there are people who get it done through others but for me no one comes close to the man I am talking about, none other than my Raju bhai (Sudarshan Vaidya), the old Landrover fella.

Quote:
I guess they let the interns take-over when it came to the -- front windshield etc.
Guru whats with the front windshield man?

Spike

PS- No offense meant to anyone )

Last edited by SPIKE ARRESTOR : 10th January 2011 at 13:05.
Old 10th January 2011, 13:14   #409
Distinguished - BHPian

Move your Thar talks to the Thar thread.

The project is now officially code named Project Tzar!

The NGCS hunt begins.

Arka, the Legend is quoted at 5.75 lakhs on the classifieds. It's too high!
Please keep a look out for one.
Old 10th January 2011, 13:18   #410
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
And Jaggu - you and I both know some of the builders and their attention to detail and I am sure you will agree that their products would never leave the garage with any "jugaadery"
Yes there are people who do excellent restoration, no disputing that!

What i meant was in general piece of mind factor when it comes to purchasing a brand new vehicle from a manufacturer, cannot be compared to these rebuilds. Whatever said and done, all these parts are mechanical and no way we can replace all of them, and no way we can guarantee the part that was not will not fail, IN COMPARISON to a brand new vehicle.

Yes brand new vehicle also fails but lesser chances and warranty cover take care of some.

Spikee chup! First go sort out that interiors!

EDIT@Tejas: Check with Viji, he might have one or two with him he he

Last edited by Jaggu : 10th January 2011 at 13:21.
Old 10th January 2011, 13:19   #411
Senior - BHPian

Tejas, IIRC there was a Legend for sale in Chennai (1-2 months back), you can contact Tini if required. All the best with your Hunt!

Spike

EDIT- I have nothing to do with interiors :-)

Last edited by SPIKE ARRESTOR : 10th January 2011 at 13:20.
Old 10th January 2011, 13:26   #412
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post

The NGCS hunt begins.
Doc, definitely time for a fresh thread.
Old 10th January 2011, 13:27   #413
BANNED

Quote:

Thus, decided to take up another project.
Atleast some conclusion , Thar or No Thar. Good I like this

Quote:
I've started a hunt for an army NGCS. If anybody can find one for me, i'd be eternally grateful. I don't want the engine, just the chassis and components.

Suppose today you get one , what about road legalities ? ( registration )
getting ready papers of any vehicle ?

So you are buying an ex army ? ( why do they scrap it in first place )

How you are going to find that the chassis is clean ? wrt rust , accident , abuse ?

Thease Q's always haunt me & I dont have any satisfactory answer .

Anyways will be interesting to see something coming ground up .

Should be one of a kind Jeep for sure , best of luck .

Sudarshan
Old 10th January 2011, 13:27   #414
BHPian

The "apparent & Visible " quality level of the Thar is dismal to say the least . All the touch and feel points have nasty plastic quality and visible panel gaps. The wiring in the passenger foot well is atrocious to put it mildly anyone who wears a size7/8 shoe will definitely mess up the wires.

While i agree that the mechanical integrity to be above board , the Indian consumer (off roaders included ) require a basic level of finish , the bolero/Scorpio are much better finished vehicles and are from the same stable.
Old 10th January 2011, 13:47   #415
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
Look into the Team BHP Classified they have a few M&M Legends for sale, its basically a NGCS MM550XD with MDI3200+5Speed+ Winch+57"OKBJ+53"FFRA
Hey Tejas,
+1 to Arka. If my memory is right, i remember Jyobeb uploading an ad for a Legend in the old classifieds. Maybe, you could just PM him and check if he still knows about this Legend.
I have a friend who picks up 540s from central government auctions and sells it. I guess, you are specifically looking for NGCS and hence, this wouldn't be of help.
Nevertheless, will let you know if i come across something.
Cheers,
Deepak
Old 10th January 2011, 14:01   #416
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The NGCS hunt begins.
Czar preferred to have even less in common with the product from M&M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Yes there are people who do excellent restoration, no disputing that!

What i meant was in general piece of mind factor when it comes to purchasing a brand new vehicle from a manufacturer, cannot be compared to these rebuilds....
Yes brand new vehicle also fails but lesser chances and warranty cover take care of some.
Agreed...which is why I got a new Gypsy and I'd make the same decision even today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
Oh come on Guru, AFAIK there is only 1 DIYer (in the 4x4 section of the forum). Yes there are people who get it done through others but for me no one comes close to the man I am talking about, none other than my Raju bhai (Sudarshan Vaidya), the old Landrover fella
Yes...clearly you guys enjoy scratching each other's backs on the forum

Quote:
Guru whats with the front windshield man?
I think it is a great engineering effort to mount the dashboard to the windshield rendering it useless if anyone wants to fold it down.

Quote:
PS- No offense meant to anyone )
Are you sure about this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by starter View Post
I guess, you are specifically looking for NGCS and hence, this wouldn't be of help.
Deepak - shouldn't the NGCS army spec jeeps be out on auction already? It has been more than 10 years since they were introduced? Not sure what duty cycles the Army follows but I think Arka and a few others were expecting these jeeps to be out by October 2010. What happened?

Tejas - time to close this thread and start a new thread. I hope you will adopt the name "Czar" which will befuddle the rural folk and intrigue the urban road warriors especially if it is cut out of a block of stainless steel and mounted to the tail-gate.

I will buy the above from Chor bazaar once it is lifted from your vehicle
Old 10th January 2011, 14:10   #417
BHPian

Tejas, just pick this one and do it up.

classifieds.team-bhp.com/buy-used-for-sale/2364/Jammu,%20J&K/2001/Mahindra/MM540.html/
Old 10th January 2011, 14:12   #418
Distinguished - BHPian

Actually, it was a play on words from Tsar and Thar. Anyways, this thread will close once i start work on the new project. Don't wanna start a new thread without concrete plans. Maybe i'll ask the mods to split this thread when it's time.

EDIT:
@star_aqua: 4x4addict just PMed me the same.

Last edited by Tejas@perioimpl : 10th January 2011 at 14:17. Reason: see edit
Old 10th January 2011, 14:37   #419
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Actually, it was a play on words from Tsar and Thar.
The actual mountain goat was rightly spelt TAHR (nilgiri TAHR) an not THAR.
Old 10th January 2011, 14:40   #420
BANNED

Quote:
Yes...clearly you guys enjoy scratching each other's backs on the forum
you guys are simply great.

Quote:
Actually, it was a play on words from Tsar and Thar. Anyways, this thread will close once i start work on the new project. Don't wanna start a new thread without concrete plans.
This is simply a googly still confused , only you can do this

Quote:
Originally Posted by star_aqua View Post
Tejas, just pick this one and do it up.

classifieds.team-bhp.com/buy-used-for-sale/2364/Jammu,%20J&K/2001/Mahindra/MM540.html/
I have gone through this its a Isuzu petrol , mistakenly placed as diesel . Spike can give you technical details , this is with Ajay Wali ( FB friend of mine ) this can be a good vehicle its NGCS 2001 Police auction. But registration will come as petrol fuel ( check this point again before going further )

Sudarshan

Most Viewed