Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th August 2010, 14:45   #331
Senior - BHPian

My 2 cents.

@Tejas: I am only trying to learn from reasoning the lack of power you are confronting.

Now, regarding the over heating, crack in water jacket or sleeve slippage if everything else checked and confirmed.

Last edited by Jaggu : 24th August 2010 at 18:35. Reason: Moved to offroad driving thread. Thanks
Old 24th August 2010, 15:54   #332
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
Few issues:

Overheating still happens when driven fast (~90kmph) or at 60kmph with 4 passengers or on ghat sections. The radiator is new, coolant level doesn't change and the radiator cap is as per specifications. The electric fan manages to control the temp from approx 95 to 85-90 but is not enough.

A lasts few OTRs made me realize the disadvantage of the 31" with my XDP engine and 4.88 difs. The engine just can't take it! I need to get a better engine or change to 5.38.
1) Can you post the picture of the cooling fan installation. If its not installed with proper sealing at the edges, vehicle will heat more.

2) Have you done the clean up of the cylinder water jacket?
Old 24th August 2010, 16:16   #333
Senior - BHPian

Tejas, could you try a set of 215/75/15 tyres from a friend who can lend it to you for a day and see if the 31"ers are causing too much strain on the engine?

Other things (Which you know already) I can think of is (1) complete water jacket flush like Jaggu mentioned (2) check all wheel bearings and brakes for abnormal wear.
Old 25th August 2010, 08:25   #334
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Tejas - when did you change over to 4.88? For your tyres, with XDP4.90, 4.88 is not the correct ratio. It is nesessary to revert to 5.38. Remember, your engine is also driving the power steering pump which robs some power off. Finally, you will get very less tractive effort on the road. Also, please check the calibration of the temperature guage fitted in your car. After the instrument panel conversion, a lot has happened on the wiring harness, maybe something is acting up. The best way to monitor the temperature is to use the old type round thermocouple guage by introducing a metallic pipe in the hose and brazing its brass connector in it. This guage has nothing to do with the vehicle electricals and is very reliable.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 25th August 2010, 08:48   #335
Team-BHP Support

Behram, the Classic came with 4.88 ratio, didn't it?
Old 25th August 2010, 11:13   #336
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
1) Can you post the picture of the cooling fan installation. If its not installed with proper sealing at the edges, vehicle will heat more.

2) Have you done the clean up of the cylinder water jacket?
Jeep's parked in lonavla. Will click pics on Sunday.

Nope not done a clean up of the cylinder water jacket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
check all wheel bearings and brakes for abnormal wear.
Checked. Bearings are new and brakes recently serviced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Tejas - when did you change over to 4.88? For your tyres, with XDP4.90, 4.88 is not the correct ratio. It is nesessary to revert to 5.38. Remember, your engine is also driving the power steering pump which robs some power off. Finally, you will get very less tractive effort on the road. Also, please check the calibration of the temperature guage fitted in your car. After the instrument panel conversion, a lot has happened on the wiring harness, maybe something is acting up. The best way to monitor the temperature is to use the old type round thermocouple guage by introducing a metallic pipe in the hose and brazing its brass connector in it. This guage has nothing to do with the vehicle electricals and is very reliable.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
As Samurai said, Classic came with 4.88. However, frankly i don't know if the previous owner has gone down further as well.

I didn't know that the PS robs power. How to compensate for that?

On highway runs, she is constantly just below 80 and only on the ghats or with 4 people does the temp go up. Thus, i reasoned the gauge is fine. Will try to get a mechanical gauge...
Old 25th August 2010, 11:35   #337
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Sharath - Oh Oh, it slipped my mind that Tejas's vehicle originally came with 4.88. Sorry. . This proves that 4.88 will not work with the "big" tyres.

If we draw a parallel, army MM540s also went with 4.88 with big tyres but the engine was XD3 and the weight was more. In any case, the army vehicles are not that potent. I had the opportunity to test them in real life scenario with army people in the sand dunes of Jodhpur and also actually on the border "somewhere in the northern region" in 2005.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 25th August 2010, 13:36   #338
AVR
BHPian

So Mr Behram, Do I understand it correctly that a 4.88 ratio with 31" tyres and XDP 4.90 will not suffice/be optimal for both the Classic and 540?

Which is the ideal solution?
1) Shift to 5.38?
2) XD3P or more?
3) Stick to 29" as an upper limit?
4) Buy the Thar?

What would you recommend? Please suggest for both Classic and 540

Cheers,
Aditya

Quote:
Dear Sharath - Oh Oh, it slipped my mind that Tejas's vehicle originally came with 4.88. Sorry. . This proves that 4.88 will not work with the "big" tyres.

If we draw a parallel, army MM540s also went with 4.88 with big tyres but the engine was XD3 and the weight was more. In any case, the army vehicles are not that potent. I had the opportunity to test them in real life scenario with army people in the sand dunes of Jodhpur and also actually on the border "somewhere in the northern region" in 2005.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

Last edited by AVR : 25th August 2010 at 13:37. Reason: Added option 4 ;)
Old 25th August 2010, 14:50   #339
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVR View Post
So Mr Behram, Do I understand it correctly that a 4.88 ratio with 31" tyres and XDP 4.90 will not suffice/be optimal for both the Classic and 540?

Which is the ideal solution?
1) Shift to 5.38?
2) XD3P or more?
3) Stick to 29" as an upper limit?
4) Buy the Thar?

What would you recommend? Please suggest for both Classic and 540

Cheers,
Aditya
BD sir, In replying to Aditya's query I would really appreciate if you could include the SWB CJ3B with a Hurricane engine running on 5.38 F&R diff ratio your clarification too. What would the biggest tyre size one could go in for without compromising the vehicle of it power.
thanks

Last edited by harjeev : 25th August 2010 at 14:55.
Old 26th August 2010, 11:41   #340
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Tejas, take a second look at your fan shroud. The wrong design, or unnecessary gaps, can completely destroy fan effectiveness / airflow.
Old 26th August 2010, 12:34   #341
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Tejas, take a second look at your fan shroud. The wrong design, or unnecessary gaps, can completely destroy fan effectiveness / airflow.
This is exactly what i posted, its very critical and i haven't seen many fitting the fans properly. DB or Spikee had explained about the importance sometime back.
Old 26th August 2010, 14:07   #342
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
This is exactly what i posted, its very critical and i haven't seen many fitting the fans properly. DB or Spikee had explained about the importance sometime back.
Fan shroud is fine. DB had checked that initially when he diagnosed the radiator cap was faulty.
Old 6th September 2010, 10:22   #343
Distinguished - BHPian

Allan and me sat yesterday and broke our heads regarding the heating issues and power loss.

And the solution came and was so simple.

The radiator was new and the guy who put the radiator, again removed the inner rubber seal for some reason.
Put in a new cap... did a few long higher speed runs and voila, temp issue solved.

Checked the paper airfilter element. It was choked to the core. Replaced it and power increase was significant. Phew!

We're back on track!!!
Old 6th September 2010, 10:37   #344
Senior - BHPian

Snorkel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
Checked the paper airfilter element. It was choked to the core. Replaced it and power increase was significant. Phew!
Hi Tejas,

The Air-Filter getting choked is not a good sign, since you have a snorkel.

The Snorkel drastically improves Air-Filter Life, please check the entire snorkel assy for leaks.

Regards,

Arka
Old 6th September 2010, 10:58   #345
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
Hi Tejas,

The Air-Filter getting choked is not a good sign, since you have a snorkel.

The Snorkel drastically improves Air-Filter Life, please check the entire snorkel assy for leaks.

Regards,

Arka
Checked. The mechanic who did the power steering work to fit the bigger pulley for some reason disconnected the snorkel from the airfilter and then did not reattach it. And i didn't check the same. Thus, the intake pipe was open and facing downwards. Thank god i did not do water runs in the meanwhile.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks