Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th September 2010, 20:41   #391
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
My driver is taking it to Calicut today for the Waynad MGE.

This is what makes my job worth having. Once again, thank you M&M. .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Ooops....! THAR heading to Calicut???? I will miss that moment then...
Old 24th September 2010, 12:03   #392
Distinguished - BHPian

A set of pics just before she got sold. The guy who picked her up bought and installed a set of Lightforce lights and Roo lights from Allan.

He's nearly reached Kerala by now and has not had any issues. Only once did the needle cross 80 (~85-90) during a ghat section with 3 people in the jeep and luggage!
Attached Thumbnails
An impulsive buy - 1999 Mahindra Classic; Sold and bought back after 10 years!-dscn0685.jpg  

An impulsive buy - 1999 Mahindra Classic; Sold and bought back after 10 years!-dscn0686.jpg  

An impulsive buy - 1999 Mahindra Classic; Sold and bought back after 10 years!-dscn0689.jpg  

An impulsive buy - 1999 Mahindra Classic; Sold and bought back after 10 years!-dscn0690.jpg  

Old 24th September 2010, 12:27   #393
Senior - BHPian

The good thing is I may be able to see this beauty sometime when I'm in Kerala. These Jeep crazy Mallus I must say.

Spike
Old 24th September 2010, 12:40   #394
BHPian

Tejas ,

We can expect a THAR right ?

Spike,

I think mallus are now mad about Jeeps(In my place they don't need a 4WD just need 4 big tyres and a 4 or 5 speed gearbox) The Jeep price is increasing like the Gold market. now Jeep and Gold are the mallu favorites.

- Sreejesh
Old 24th September 2010, 16:43   #395
BHPian

I find myself coming back to this thread to check-up on the upgrades..
Ask the new owner to keep updating this thread or start a new one.

I see that the silly classic bull bar is back.
Old 24th September 2010, 16:50   #396
Senior - BHPian

@R32 GTR, the bull bar ^^ is not original, did you mean that?

Spike
Old 27th September 2010, 04:46   #397

Of all the things on your car, The one thing I really liked was the string from the top of the windshield to the fenders. I remember you explaining why they are there and it was indeed ingenious.
Old 27th September 2010, 10:46   #398
BHPian

Hi tejas,
I saw your jeep in Goa.I was passing by and saw it parked in front of a hotel.I got down and found out the owner of this jeep( the new one)and had a chat with him.I must say you have built a nice jeep.They were heading towards kerala.
cheers,
Old 27th September 2010, 11:42   #399
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
@R32 GTR, the bull bar ^^ is not original, did you mean that?

Spike
No Spike - What I meant is that the Original bull bar does not go with the new avatar of THIS classic.

I had been using a black classic as well and hated the original bull bar design. Just my personal opinion and i am assuming Allan shared it as well since he wouldn't let Tejas put it back on the Classic while he was the owner
Old 27th September 2010, 17:48   #400
BHPian

Guys, Arent we doing this now here.

Tejas, Ask mods to close this thread and let the new owner open a new ownership thread. The more I see this thread the more I hate you for selling that beauty.
Old 27th September 2010, 20:27   #401
Distinguished - BHPian

The new owner has asked me to keep this thread open and keep posting updates Shibu.

Also, there are quite a few important issues that are discussed here with regards to overheating etc and others may ask more questions here.

Last edited by Tejas@perioimpl : 27th September 2010 at 20:29. Reason: Typo
Old 27th September 2010, 22:09   #402
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Tejas - your PM to me, the answer is like "Bond - James Bond". Replace the words with relevant optimistic words, you will get the answer, Insha-Allah (God Willing). Please don't do anything else, nothing will even come close. With highest respect for everybody concerned with this comment, you can't match a production vehicle's quality level, no matter what you do. I hope this will start another healthy debate.

Come to Nasik, let's go "somewhere". I am itching to go. 521 will be in Nasik by tomorrow evening. Get the drift?

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 10th January 2011, 10:27   #403
Distinguished - BHPian

re: An impulsive buy - 1999 Mahindra Classic; Sold and bought back after 10 years!

Let's update this thread:

The Classic got sold. The new owner is very happy. I waited for the Thar. She didn't fit my requirements and budget. So i'm jeepless and unhappy.

Thus, decided to take up another project.

The options were a brand new gypsy, a used gypsy with 1.6 engine, a scorp powered mm550 or a DCM powered mm550.

I've eliminated the Gypsy. Not that it's a bad offroader, but being a ex-jeep owner, the gypsy just doesn't cut it for me.

So it's a jeep.

I've started a hunt for an army NGCS. If anybody can find one for me, i'd be eternally grateful. I don't want the engine, just the chassis and components.

I'll post a detailed write up about my wish list soon.

@Arkaji , after your telling me n number of times to buy a 550 and my refusals saying i love the SWB... well, you win! Now, i'm gonna bother you with a lot of telephone calls.
Old 10th January 2011, 12:00   #404
Senior - BHPian

re: An impulsive buy - 1999 Mahindra Classic; Sold and bought back after 10 years!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
Let's update this thread:

The Classic got sold. The new owner is very happy. I waited for the Thar. She didn't fit my requirements and budget. So i'm jeepless and unhappy.

Thus, decided to take up another project.

The options were a brand new gypsy, a used gypsy with 1.6 engine, a scorp powered mm550 or a DCM powered mm550.

I've eliminated the Gypsy. Not that it's a bad offroader, but being a ex-jeep owner, the gypsy just doesn't cut it for me.

So it's a jeep.

I've started a hunt for an army NGCS. If anybody can find one for me, i'd be eternally grateful. I don't want the engine, just the chassis and components.

I'll post a detailed write up about my wish list soon.

@Arkaji , after your telling me n number of times to buy a 550 and my refusals saying i love the SWB... well, you win! Now, i'm gonna bother you with a lot of telephone calls.
Hi Tejas,

Its not about winning or being right. I have used both vehicles and the MM540/MM550XD has certain advantages regarding space and modify-ability (Wheel Base = Room for Mechanical systems).

I believe the NGCSMM550XD is the BEST 4X4 MADE IN INDIA.

Look into the Team BHP Classified they have a few M&M Legends for sale, its basically a NGCS MM550XD with MDI3200+5Speed+ Winch+57"OKBJ+53"FFRA

All you need to do is.

1) Change Diff-Ratio to 4.88 from the 3.73, that is 40%increase in torque at the wheels
2) Taller Tyres (31-32-33) to get better speed and
4) Power-Steering-- Bolt On Conversion
5) Roll-Cage & Interiors.
6) OEM type Soft-Top in SRF Tuff-Tops

The NGCS is much better on-road and off-road compared to a regular MM540.

Since Allan is nearby, I guess he can get this ready in 2-Weeks Max.

Regards,

Arka

Last edited by ex670c : 10th January 2011 at 12:01.
Old 10th January 2011, 12:13   #405
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
you can't match a production vehicle's quality level, no matter what you do. I hope this will start another healthy debate
A bit of a risky statement from you considering the awful build quality of the Thar? I would have expected a little more attention to detail on the fit and finish considering how much time you had to work on it.

I can confidently say that some of the creations of Teambhp members are built to a higher specification and quality than the "Production Vehicle" called Thar.

This is not an attempt to start a healthy debate...it is a no-contest from the beginning.

DIYers 1 - M&M 0

Last edited by gsferrari : 10th January 2011 at 12:17.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks