Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th December 2009, 15:23   #46
Senior - BHPian

Oye Tejas,

Congratulations on the buy mate. She looks squeaky clean man.

Now I know the real reason for you getting the classic.

Take your patients for an off road excursion in the classic, the tooth falls off. If they had come for tooth removal, prescribe combiflam and drop them home. If not then take them back to office and fit it right back in.

Earning pe earning !!
Old 5th December 2009, 18:06   #47
BHPian

Where in Thane did you see that Red Classic ????
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomzi View Post
I see a similar red classic parked by the roadside in Thane almost every week and kept thinking "I've got to get myself one of these". Is this the same one.
Tejas, Congrats on buying the classic, so now we can see the doc in action offoad .

Last edited by egangsta : 5th December 2009 at 18:08.
Old 5th December 2009, 20:58   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Tejas - after Beejay's CJ, this is the second very good CL340 that I can see. For mirrors, you just have to find the brackets at Chor Bazaar. I will give you complete guidelines to fit TATA 407 LUMAX make LCV mirrors on the brackets. They will look fantastic and will work properly as I have done all this before. I am attaching a P2150 engine fitted Dubai export CL340 showing this arrangement. By the way, the front bull bar is not original. You can see the OE part in the Dubai car. The bend radius is different. I did this work, so I know.

Do show me your Jeep sometime.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Attached Thumbnails
An impulsive buy - 1999 Mahindra Classic; Sold and bought back after 10 years!-07072009262.jpg  

Last edited by DHABHAR.BEHRAM : 5th December 2009 at 21:02. Reason: add info
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2009, 22:09   #49
Senior - BHPian

For a 1999 model, i must say its a well kept Mahindra.
Old 6th December 2009, 11:18   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Tejas - after Beejay's CJ, this is the second very good CL340 that I can see. For mirrors, you just have to find the brackets at Chor Bazaar. I will give you complete guidelines to fit TATA 407 LUMAX make LCV mirrors on the brackets. They will look fantastic and will work properly as I have done all this before. I am attaching a P2150 engine fitted Dubai export CL340 showing this arrangement. By the way, the front bull bar is not original. You can see the OE part in the Dubai car. The bend radius is different. I did this work, so I know.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Thanks.
That's brilliant noticing. I would love for you to have a look at the Jeep. You tell me where and when and i will come. Sending you a PM.

EDIT: Your PM inbox is full. I've spoken to cyrus to coordinate.

Last edited by Tejas@perioimpl : 6th December 2009 at 11:23. Reason: see edit
Old 6th December 2009, 19:49   #51
BHPian

Hi Tejas,

Congrats on the new purchase!

I know this jeep belongs to Vinod Menon! A Keralite settled in Bombay and working in Saudi Arabia....! Me right?

Sali
Old 6th December 2009, 20:19   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
hey i took and posted photos of this jeep. it was standing in Mussafah ind area of Abu dhabi.
Attached Thumbnails
An impulsive buy - 1999 Mahindra Classic; Sold and bought back after 10 years!-07072009263.jpg  

Old 6th December 2009, 20:27   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Met Mr. Behram Dhabhar today and spend a lot of time with him. He is a treasure trove of information and picked out minor irregularities very easily. But, he was overall happy with the condition of the car and that makes me happy.

He's suggested a lot of things including which grade/type/brand of oils to use , etc... Amazing!

Will post details later on all things suggested. What he and GTO suggested are nearly identical.

Also met another bhpian, Neville (aka Satan?) there who owns a new gypsy...

EDIT: @Salikt, YES.

Last edited by Tejas@perioimpl : 6th December 2009 at 20:30. Reason: see EDIT
Old 6th December 2009, 20:33   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
hey i took and posted photos of this jeep. it was standing in Mussafah ind area of Abu dhabi.
heh, this looks like a mirror image of the earlier pic of this jeep. Same jeep, same junk underneath and same cars beside it. Are you sure both of you weren't standing side by side?
Old 6th December 2009, 20:47   #55
Senior - BHPian

Some guys have all the luck
some guys have all the pain

This song by Rod Stewart instantaneously came to my mind reading your story, your patients with all the (combiflam) pain and you ending up with tons of luck.
well done Doc, Congratulations!
Regards,
Old 6th December 2009, 20:58   #56
Senior - BHPian

here are few more photos of the same jeep!
Attached Thumbnails
An impulsive buy - 1999 Mahindra Classic; Sold and bought back after 10 years!-07072009259.jpg  

An impulsive buy - 1999 Mahindra Classic; Sold and bought back after 10 years!-07072009260.jpg  

An impulsive buy - 1999 Mahindra Classic; Sold and bought back after 10 years!-07072009268.jpg  

Old 7th December 2009, 00:41   #57

Met Tejas with Dad today and alot of my childhood came flooding back. I love the car and Badly want one too now!!
Old 7th December 2009, 16:26   #58
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I know people who have spent 1 - 2 years looking for a Classic. And they are still looking. This guy spreads the word on a good used Gypsy and a pristine red Classic falls into his lap. In the same week!

Let me be the nth person to tell you that you are very LUCKY, Tejas. Not only have you gotten an absolutely clean Classic, but even the 2.15 lakh price is a steal. Heck, the owner has held on to the OEM carpeting and its still fitted well. Though, you must throw it out at the first opportunity. I don't know what Mahindra was thinking fitting a carpet into a hardcore 4x4.

After the drive, I have reason to believe that the <50,000 kms on the odo are genuine. The engine feels crisp and refined (well, as refined as a Classic can be). The Jeep is "tight". It honestly requires zero work today, except for a highly recommended oil change job. Change all lubes (engine, tranny etc.), rubber belts, get a radiator flush and you are ready to offroad.

1. Your first upgrade should be the tyres. Check out Samurai's Jeep thread to see pics of the most common upgrade size on the 340.

2. Body cover : Use the Sumos.

NOTE : Frequent offroading will inevitably lead to abuse of your Jeep. The only reason your Jeep is so tight is because the previous owner has never gone offroading. While I will highly recommend you to use the 4x4 mode, and come get the Jeep dirty with our gang, expect her wear & tear rate to go up exponentially. After 1 year & about 25 OTR sessions since the rebuild, my Jeep looks like its been to Kargil for war.
Old 7th December 2009, 16:46   #59
BHPian

OH Tejas,

I am all green with envy now. No not because you have an ONIDA but that red CLASSIC is immaculate. I havent seen any classic clean than that (10 year old ). You are lucky and take good care of her. There are many people our here to help you out .

I searched and searched for such an Item and at last landed on a CJ340 half as decent as this and that too which was made 2WD. But I am happy with her now. She is an absolute mountain goat.

I am sure you will go through all the ups and downs that we all have experienced. But dont ever think of parting with her. It will be a cardinal sin to do so as she is one of a kind.

Babu
Old 8th December 2009, 00:42   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
Met Mr. Behram Dhabhar today and spend a lot of time with him. He is a treasure trove of information and picked out minor irregularities very easily.
Tejas, rest assured that you have met the man who has seen these JEEPs in and out. He would be one of the best guides to get this boy ready for off-roading.

Please dig out each and every information from him and amend to it. He has far better knowledge than most of us here.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks