Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd February 2010, 00:25   #121
Senior - BHPian

Tejas and All,

Sai Service Andheri east on western express highway has a hardtop white gypsy.

I see it parked in their parking when i leave office daily. If anyone is interested you can check it out.
Old 25th February 2010, 10:33   #122
Distinguished - BHPian

The noise was from the water pump. It was vibrating.

Took it to the service center and they said the water pump has failed. This was a brand new water pump installed just 3 months ago! How can it fail so quickly?

I've started a new thread to discuss the water pump failure.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-te...e-why-how.html

Mods: Please merge the two posts, i ran out of time to edit the previous one.

Last edited by Jaggu : 25th February 2010 at 11:53. Reason: Use Report post please. Thanks
Old 7th March 2010, 19:14   #123
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by star_aqua View Post
what is the reason to spend so much after every OTR?
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Why would you service a 14 year old Jeep after every OTR? I get a complete wash & wipe (including underbody for 200 - 300 bucks), but 3.5 grand after an OTR? Can you provide a breakup?
This is the total i have spend after all OTRs. I have now done 10 OTRs with this jeep and have spent a total of 3500.

After every OTR, i get the jeep washed thoroughly inside and out and get it greased and oil sprayed underneath. Costs me 350 bucks each time.

After this weekends OTR to add costs:

- Service
- Tightening of nuts and bolts (everything is loose)
- NEw nuts and bolts for the rear pindle hook. After trying to snatch a Gorkha out three times, 4 long bolts got completely stripped off!
Old 7th March 2010, 22:57   #124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
NEw nuts and bolts for the rear pindle hook. After trying to snatch a Gorkha out three times, 4 long bolts got completely stripped off!
OT- Tejas, do you mean the 4 mounting bolts of the Pintle hook?, they are designed for a drawbar pull of 14000 pounds under straight pull, do you have an angle plate installed with the Pintle hook? Also, do you have a K member?

Spike
Old 8th March 2010, 11:25   #125
Senior - BHPian

K-Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
OT- Tejas, do you mean the 4 mounting bolts of the Pintle hook?, they are designed for a drawbar pull of 14000 pounds under straight pull, do you have an angle plate installed with the Pintle hook? Also, do you have a K member?
Hi Spike,

All the CJ3B's had a K-Member.

All the MM540s upto 1993-95c had K-Member.

All the CJ500D/CL550 (till rear diesel tank or Box Section Chassis Major) had K-Member.

@ Tejas,

1) Use and Angle Plate from a MM550XD/Commander etc

2) Use a C-Section along the Width of the Chassis and make cuts/indentation for the original fittings

3) Use grade 8 Bolts and grease the thread before fitting.

The question remains why did the bolts strip their thread,
i) could be age

ii) Shock Load i.e Jerks with the Integrated Steel Wire Rope, this can destroy a chassis in a few seconds. Never Jerk with the ISWR.

Regards,

Arka
ex670c is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2010, 11:35   #126
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
@ Tejas,

1) Use and Angle Plate from a MM550XD/Commander etc

2) Use a C-Section along the Width of the Chassis and make cuts/indentation for the original fittings

3) Use grade 8 Bolts and grease the thread before fitting.
Can you explain more in detail or with pics on how to do this? I fit it on the existing 6 holed plate just above the foot step (used 4 holes of it).

What is the benefit of greasing?

Quote:
The question remains why did the bolts strip their thread,
i) could be age

ii) Shock Load i.e Jerks with the Integrated Steel Wire Rope, this can destroy a chassis in a few seconds. Never Jerk with the ISWR.
Can't be age. I fit a brand new piece in December 2009. Must be the jerks trying to snatch the Gurkha with the steel wire rope.

I never knew not to jerk it. Any other thing i should now get checked in my jeep?

Arka, you should write a book!!!

MODS: If this is going OT, you can shift to my Classic thread or create a new thread.
Old 8th March 2010, 11:59   #127
Senior - BHPian

K-member

Quote:
Can you explain more in detail or with pics on how to do this? I fit it on the existing 6 holed plate just above the foot step (used 4 holes of it).

What is the benefit of greasing?

Can't be age. I fit a brand new piece in December 2009. Must be the jerks trying to snatch the Gurkha with the steel wire rope.

I never knew not to jerk it. Any other thing i should now get checked in my jeep?

Hi Tejas,

I will answer in points

1) The Reinforcing plate should distribute the load to both the chassis rails.

I have used and OEM plat from a Commander

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...upgrade-9.html

The you can fabricate a plate from 3.6 to 5mm Max, and it should be L-Shaped for additional strength.

Remove all the fittings on the Rear Bumper and make a template out of card board, then fabricate the Plate.

2) Benefit of greasing is it does prevents rusting on the bolt threads and does not scar the thread while tightening, and makes removal easier.

3) Also the Pintle hook must he correctly bolted on the K-Member.
2 bolts on the Chassis cross member
2 bolts on the bottom 2 holes of the K-Member.

Read the recovery and salvage thread and keep the pointers in your head.

Recovery Situation and Lack of Technique will destroy even the most rugged vehicle in a few minutes.

4) Leave the CLASSIC alone get a ex-army MM550XD for OTRs.

Regards,

Arka

Last edited by v12 : 8th March 2010 at 13:20. Reason: Fixing quotes
ex670c is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2010, 12:31   #128
Distinguished - BHPian

I will go through both the threads and do as suggested. I'll click and post pics of the bolts tonight.

Quote:

4) Leave the CLASSIC alone get a ex-army MM550XD for OTRs.
This is the second time you told me that.

I can't get another jeep because: I love the classic and want to off road with her, can't spend any more money on another jeep, have no parking, family will kill me.

I frankly have no sentimental thing to the classic in terms of keeping it stock or as a collector's item. I have a SWB and want to utilize it to the full.

ALSO:

I need to make my jeep more reliable. Every OTR i'm scared something will break down and it usually does.

New rattles come up. I'm not bothered about metal body rattles. These are from the engine bay. The new one is a clanking sound as if someone is hitting a hammer on the firewall just beneath the clutch and brake pedals. It happens on relatively well surfaced dirt roads and rough roads (even at 10kmph). Not on proper tarmac.

What should i do once and for all and check and replace what all?

My biggest problem is that both the Mahindra Service Stations in Bombay have disappointed me and i am just not finding a good Jeep mechanic who knows his stuff.

Last edited by Tejas@perioimpl : 8th March 2010 at 12:34. Reason: added more info
Old 8th March 2010, 13:06   #129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I frankly have no sentimental thing to the classic in terms of keeping it stock or as a collector's item. I have a SWB and want to utilize it to the full.

ALSO:

I need to make my jeep more reliable. Every OTR i'm scared something will break down and it usually does.

New rattles come up. I'm not bothered about metal body rattles. These are from the engine bay. The new one is a clanking sound as if someone is hitting a hammer on the firewall just beneath the clutch and brake pedals. It happens on relatively well surfaced dirt roads and rough roads (even at 10kmph). Not on proper tarmac.

What should i do once and for all and check and replace what all?

My biggest problem is that both the Mahindra Service Stations in Bombay have disappointed me and i am just not finding a good Jeep mechanic who knows his stuff.
Hi Tejas,

1) Bees Saal Baad, you will make a post like Behram Dhabar on his CJ340.

Address the rattles ASAP, they will kill the vehicle(Fatigue) the body before you realize.

2) Check all the body beds, and see if they need replacement.

3) Check - Physically Inspect
1) Steering Linkages
2) Silencer/Skid-Plate
3) Battery Bracket
4) Propeller Shaft
5) Clutch Cable
6) Alternator Bracket
7) Radiator Grille Stay Rods

4) Get in touch with Sabreesh, he has done a CJ500D restoration in Mumbai, he is on Team-Bhp.

Try out the Garage where GTO, got his CLASSIC engine work done.

The JEEP building/modifying cycle takes about 6 Months-1 year.

These are expected issues.

Regards,

Arka
Old 8th March 2010, 23:00   #130
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Tejas - my main problem is time but I will still try and help you out in maintaining your CL340 classic as if it was my own. Tell you what, bring it to Nasik one of these days, I am serious. Why this offer? Because - I MISS MY CL340 MH01P8300. Sob Sob..

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 9th March 2010, 11:56   #131
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Tejas - my main problem is time but I will still try and help you out in maintaining your CL340 classic as if it was my own. Tell you what, bring it to Nasik one of these days, I am serious. Why this offer? Because - I MISS MY CL340 MH01P8300. Sob Sob..

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Thank you for the offer. I wouldn't mind coming all the way. I have sent you a PM with my wishlist.
Old 9th March 2010, 13:18   #132
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Behram sir,

We are also here in Bangalore with CJ340 . What will we do. We cant bring the jeep to Nasik. tell us a place where we can take ours .

Babu
Old 11th March 2010, 11:18   #133
Distinguished - BHPian

Gave my Jeep again to Mahindra Milestone for a complete diagnostic. The exhaust pipes that they had replaced a week ago had major gaps in the joints! QC needs to improve.

Attaching pics of the pintle hook that got loose:
Attached Thumbnails
An impulsive buy - 1999 Mahindra Classic; Sold and bought back after 10 years!-img_0264.jpg  

An impulsive buy - 1999 Mahindra Classic; Sold and bought back after 10 years!-img_0266.jpg  

An impulsive buy - 1999 Mahindra Classic; Sold and bought back after 10 years!-img_0267.jpg  

Old 11th March 2010, 13:00   #134
Senior - BHPian

@Tejas is there any sleeve placed behind the pintle hook mounting bolts? Not visible though, I feel it should be present.

Spike
Old 11th March 2010, 13:13   #135
Distinguished - BHPian

What is the sleeve and how does it help?

Is this what you are talking about?
Attached Images

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks