Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th December 2009, 16:37   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

An impulsive buy - 1999 Mahindra Classic; Sold and bought back after 10 years!

I'd been looking out for a Gypsy since the last 6 months until a Classic literally landed in my lap!

Here's how the story goes:

I earlier used to own a Gypsy King and used to mainly do soft roading and a lot of jungle trails with her. No hard core stuff. I had to sell her 5 years ago since i went off to study abroad and parking space was an issue then.

Over the past couple of years, i have been inspired by the upteem off-roading excursions happening around bombay and seeing the snaps put up on team-bhp really bit my bum to get another beast.

Finally my practice was set and i could afford to take vacations on fancy and decided to start searching for a vehicle. I personally felt that buying a new gypsy was outta the question (moneywise). And being a previous gyppsy owner, i was always biased towards one. I had never ever driven a jeep in my life over a long term and distance.

In the six months, i must have inspected over 20 cars and they were either too run down or way too overpriced.

Through a contact, i heard that a gypsy was for sale in bombay and i called up the number. The person who answered the phone said that the gypsy is sold but he knows of a classic for sale. On a whim, i said, email me the pics.

On seeing the pics, i was very impressed. However, i am ignorant when it comes to jeeps. So i immediately emailed the pics to the only people i knew who were pros at these things. So i shoot off mails to GTO, khan_sultan and Spitfire.

All these guys immediately reply, pics look good, go look at her.

Khan_Sultan says he knows the owner and gives me the direct contact. Thanks shahnawaz!

So i call up this number at night and he answers and says, "ok, are you any of the numerous callers who had called me today or are you a new one?"
Panic bells start ringing and i immediately tell him that i'm coming to see the car the next day itself.

I go the next day and trust me, this is the most impeccable 10 year old mahindra classic i have ever seen! Just fell in love before even the TD.

When i took the TD, trust me, i really didn't care, all i was thinking, how much money was in my wallet and will he accept it as downpayment.

The seller had bought the jeep second hand for his son who was now going abroad for studies. He had full service history even from the previous owners.

The jeep had never gone off the road.

Trying not to sound over excited, i struck a fabulous deal. The owner refused downpayment and said he will take full amount by DD and said don't worry i won't sell to anyone else even for more money.

Next day (after a sleepless night), i run to the bank, get the DD (payorder) made and rush to him. All dental appointments cancelled. All patients prescribed combiflam!

I get to his place, he is very meticulous and has all forms ready. We do all the paper work and i get the keys in my hand!!!!

(ALL THIS IN LESS THAN 48 hours - from seeing the jeep pics for the first time to buying her)

...continued...
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th December 2009, 16:42   #2
BHPian

Congrats on the new asset

Congratulations, Buddy !

Classic has always been an outstanding Jeep and something I have always wanted. But then, I am really not a Jeep person.

Do post some pictures soon. And Good Luck with the vehicle.

Edit: Just saw the pictures that you posted. It is in immaculate condition. Congratulations, once again.

Cheers.

Last edited by Ardy : 4th December 2009 at 16:47. Reason: Comment on Pictures
Old 4th December 2009, 16:43   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Some pics from my iphone. Detailed pics over the weekend.
Attached Thumbnails
An impulsive buy - 1999 Mahindra Classic; Sold and bought back after 10 years!-classic.jpg  

An impulsive buy - 1999 Mahindra Classic; Sold and bought back after 10 years!-14241_191208747084_628012084_3452569_1453655_n.jpg  

Tejas@perioimpl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2009, 16:45   #4
Senior - BHPian

Pics, Tejas bhai. Pics. And congratulations

What are your plans with the Classic?

Edit: Nice pics. Can you pm me the average cost of these things? I'm planning to buy a Gypsy in the near future...

Last edited by pranavt : 4th December 2009 at 16:48.
Old 4th December 2009, 16:48   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
...All dental appointments cancelled. All patients prescribed combiflam!.....

For this beauty I would have even gone out for business forever...

Sweet piece, hope you got it at a sweet price. Awaiting more pics.
Old 4th December 2009, 16:48   #6
Senior - BHPian

hey tejas congrats man, you got a nice deal, she is in real good condition.

Now we dont have to hitch a ride you got yours and i got mine so lets go for a OTR.

Last edited by pdev29 : 4th December 2009 at 16:57.
Old 4th December 2009, 16:50   #7
BHPian

Sweet buy, Doc, Reminds me of that dialogue in Bugs Bunny - "What's up doc ?"

Good going, nice piece, should definitely say lucky you.

When do we get a TD ?
Old 4th December 2009, 16:51   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

OH MY GOD! Thats in mindblowing condition!!! You lucky guy!!!!

Enjoy yourself :-(

Last edited by Technocrat : 7th December 2009 at 12:09. Reason: Please note that both direct & indirect usage of abusive words is not allowed, thanks
Old 4th December 2009, 16:56   #9
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
All dental appointments cancelled. All patients prescribed combiflam!
we need more docs like you !!!

Congrats on a sharp looking Jeep.
Old 4th December 2009, 16:57   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

...continued...

I sat in the jeep after taking delivery (rather cramped myself in). I am just shy of 6 feet and trust me, it is a tight fit and my legs bang against the dash. But i thought, i will somehow modify the seat (i had read GTO had done it).

Drove for 5 minutes in horrible chembur traffic and the clutch was really really heavy and for a moment i thought, have i made a right decision buying this car (what if the clutch is always so hard?).

But after 5 minutes of driving, i completely changed my mind and i felt terribly guilty about rethinking my decision. I felt as if i was cheating on my girlfriend.

I was king of the road, no measly rickshaw dared to cut across as well.

Anyways, reached home late showed the car to my parents. Mom's reaction was "ok, how long to you plan to keep this and where will you park?". Dad was quite thrilled and immediately wanted to go for a drive.

Send GTO, Spitfire and khan_sultan thank you emails. Thanks again guys.

Next day i get in touch with GTO and ask him that i have technical questions and need to meet him.

We decide to meet on monday.

So i go under GTO's office and meet him. One look at the car and he exclaim's "you've got a steal for the price you paid"

He goes over the car with a fine tooth comb, finds nearly no rust, looks under the bonnet and says that this is the cleanest classic that he has ever come across.

Next he takes a TD and is even more impressed.

.... entire long conversation with GTO to be continued later in the night, work has come up...

Last edited by Tejas@perioimpl : 4th December 2009 at 17:00. Reason: typos
Old 4th December 2009, 17:07   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats on the jeep and take good care of the CLASSIC.

Quote:
........ entire long conversation with GTO to be continued later in the night, work has come up...
What? cancel the appointments & prescribe combiflam
khan_sultan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2009, 17:11   #12
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations Tejas, Definitely is a good jeep. You did not reveal the price of the beauty. Enjoy rides
Old 4th December 2009, 17:15   #13
Team-BHP Support

Congrats! That is quite a steal, cleanest Classic I have seen. What are those tyres?
Old 4th December 2009, 17:17   #14
BHPian

Congrats Tejas. Super looking vehicle!!

Very intresting post. Please do continue.

Cheers
Ankit
Old 4th December 2009, 17:18   #15
BHPian

Congrats Tejas, I was about to call this guy and you stole it before that :-) But i am so happy for you. Do not lose those Mirrors, i think its Original and very hard to come by.

Thanks
--Sree--

Last edited by sreerajunnithan : 4th December 2009 at 17:19.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks