Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th December 2009, 16:13   #46
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on you buy Harjeev , where do you stay in Delhi? I would definitely like to see your garage of 4X4's.
Old 8th December 2009, 18:10   #47
BHPian

Congrats Harjeev!
You're really living the life!
Old 8th December 2009, 19:53   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
Vadhaiyaan, Mubarakan tey Patakay!

congrats on a sensible decision to buy a used Gypsy and not a new/ex-army disposal!

im eager to see what kind of modifications you will do to this vehicle since you are bored with previous two restorations of jeeps!
Thanks Parm, I too am much happier that I dint go for an ex-army. not that there's anything wrong with them, but I do not have the time nor I have the energy to do justice to the rebuild!!!

@pdev29 @Vandan
Thanks buddy!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishnayak View Post
Congrats on you buy Harjeev , where do you stay in Delhi? I would definitely like to see your garage of 4X4's.
Most welcome buddy. i am in central delhi (patel nagar). Where are you at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
No, you can't use the jeep ones. You need the Gypsy ones. The LAMDA ones cost some 3 - 4 K depending on where you buy from. Do go for them. If you find ones in good condition then you can go for used ones also.

I would say 215/75/15 in BFG is good bet if you are looking for a stringer sidewall. IMHO, Michellin tyres have the softest sidewalls (but more comfort), then come Yoko..
Quote:
Originally Posted by starter View Post
I read in my thread that you could also get Aisin hubs from a MASS. Aisin is MGP. I've seen them in a few old 410s. But i guess they are quite expensive when compared to Lambda (Factor of 3). Not sure if its really worth paying so much extra.

I've got BFGs and the size that Khan has mentioned. I paid 23K for a set of 5. It is quite hard to find new BFG tyres (Mfg date less than 3 months old) in Bangalore. Yokohama is also very good. Infact, most people here in B'lore have opted for Yokos. They cost 21K for a set of 5. Hope, this helps.
Cheers,
Deepak
@Khan & Starter

Thanks for clearing that up. I will try to source LAMDA/ AISIN FWH's.
But 3 times is pretty expensive. I will try to source hubs from Mayapuri. I have seen them being sold there. Infact a friend of mine has AISIN on his ex-army gypsy, bought from mayapuri itself, working great till now.

Thanks for the tyre info. I think that Ill opt for BF Goodrich too and will do the change in a couple of months!!!

Just an update. I've decided to give the vehicle at MASS (Motorcraft) this weekend for a normal service and complete checkup. As I am out of station this weekend so will leave the vehicle on friday and pick it up on monday.
In the meantime they can check it up completely, do the normal service and all.
Further is it recommended to change the transmission fluids too? (differentials, gear box and transfer case) or I should leave it to them? Any other aspect that I particularly need to take care of as this being a 2nd hand vehicle???
Please advise??
Old 8th December 2009, 20:10   #49
Senior - BHPian

while you are doing first checkup and service, change the transmission fluids too. May be it is due.
Old 8th December 2009, 20:13   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
Further is it recommended to change the transmission fluids too? (differentials, gear box and transfer case) or I should leave it to them? Any other aspect that I particularly need to take care of as this being a 2nd hand vehicle???
Please advise??
If you would ask me, since you plan to anyway keep the Gypsy, i suggest that you change all fluids. Better be safe than sorry. Maybe experts can confirm.
Cheers,
Deepak

PS: I just crossed Dwarak Sir's post. There you go, coming from an expert..
Old 8th December 2009, 20:26   #51
Senior - BHPian

@dwarka @Starter

Ill do just that! Completely change all the fluids. In anycase the vehicle has run for 42k kms. It will be a new start and will just cost a little extra!

Another thing bugging me is that the seller dint have the duplicate key and I took the delivery with only one key.
So I wanted to ask, is it advisable to change the complete lock assembly, firstly because of safety and security secondly if incase I loose the only key I will be totally stranded and will have no option!!!
What is the consensus on this???
Old 8th December 2009, 20:35   #52
Senior - BHPian

Harjeev, For safety sake better change the locking system or install electronic system, which costs you around 3-4 k now. Make a duplicate for ignition system.
Old 8th December 2009, 20:36   #53
BHPian

Congrats on finding a good Gypsy. Hope you wont sale your MM550 soon (Read your sign). Here is a good link for various types of info regarding Gypsy (Samurai).
http://www.suzukiinfo.com/sierra/

Mods, Please delete the link if un-appropriate.

Last edited by offroad_maniac : 8th December 2009 at 20:43.
Old 8th December 2009, 20:53   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Another thing bugging me is that the seller dint have the duplicate key and I took the delivery with only one key.
So I wanted to ask, is it advisable to change the complete lock assembly, firstly because of safety and security secondly if incase I loose the only key I will be totally stranded and will have no option!!!
Dear Harjeev,
Not sure if your Gypsy is equipped with an engine immobilizer.
If yes, i would not suggest getting a duplicate made.
If you have the owner's manual with you, try to find the key number written on it and order for a duplicate set from MASS itself.
If not, maybe you can check with the owner, the dealer from where he bought the vehicle and see if they've maintained this information in their database somewhere.
If not, you can just get the whole thing replaced
Cheers,
Deepak
Old 8th December 2009, 21:03   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Its better to change all the locks and a new set cost around rs600 at mass (3-4 yaers back)
Old 8th December 2009, 21:09   #56
Senior - BHPian

Don't forget to have the cambelt changed as well. Nothing beats that peace of mind.
Old 8th December 2009, 21:12   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaraka View Post
Harjeev, For safety sake better change the locking system or install electronic system, which costs you around 3-4 k now. Make a duplicate for ignition system.
Sorry for the ignorance, but by electronic locking system do you mean central locking? the ones that comes with alarms and all. Llike Autocops.
Quote:
Originally Posted by starter View Post
Dear Harjeev,
Not sure if your Gypsy is equipped with an engine immobilizer.
No the vehicle is not equipped with an engine immobiliser
If yes, i would not suggest getting a duplicate made.
If you have the owner's manual with you, try to find the key number written on it and order for a duplicate set from MASS itself.
If not, maybe you can check with the owner, the dealer from where he bought the vehicle and see if they've maintained this information in their database somewhere.
If not, you can just get the whole thing replaced
Cheers,
Deepak
I think that I will try to find out the cost of the complete thing replaced. As its without an immobiliser, I dont think that it would be that expensive.
Is it possible to install the locking system with am immobiliser in an old vehicle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroad_maniac View Post
Congrats on finding a good Gypsy. Hope you wont sale your MM550 soon (Read your sign). Here is a good link for various types of info regarding Gypsy (Samurai).
http://www.suzukiinfo.com/sierra/

Mods, Please delete the link if un-appropriate.
Thanks buddy!!
And thanks for the link too!!!

@manikjeet
Thats pretty cheap. Will sure check.
@bigman
Will definitely tell the MASS guys to check that too. Thanks

Last edited by harjeev : 8th December 2009 at 21:13.
Old 8th December 2009, 22:46   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Please advise??
If the vehicle has run for any length of time with the mismatched tyres, the differential will have taken a beating. Get it checked out.

Second hand. OTR. No help nearby. You against the elements. At the very least I would change all belts and hoses, service the alternator and self starter, and clean out the fuel tank (and check it for rust), change all fluids, including brake oil, and change all filters. Check wheel alignment.
And when changing the oils, check carefully what comes out.
For running about the city, need not do all this, just stick to Maruti's prescribed routine.

Sutripta
Old 9th December 2009, 09:48   #59
BHPian

Hi Harjeev

As suggested by others already -

Get all fluids changes, transmission, diff, gearbox.. etc.
I would suggest change the locks if the owner gave you only one key. You never know what happened to the other one. Can be risky.
Like Bigman has suggested, check the cambelt change time in your service manual and if it is close then get it changed now.

Also, when you go to Mayapuri can you pls pick up a set of Asin FWH for mee too.

Cheers
Ankit
Old 9th December 2009, 12:00   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Ill do just that! Completely change all the fluids. In anycase the vehicle has run for 42k kms. It will be a new start and will just cost a little extra!
While your are at it, I suggest that you get your front hubs re greased, put new seals and check the condition of kingpin bearings too.
Maruti recommends re-greasing every 20,000 kms but not many people do it.
Check with the previous owner if he got it done at the 40,000 kms service.

Cheers

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks