Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th January 2010, 00:04   #121
Senior - BHPian

@harjeev: Have you checked the fuel pump wiring? Frayed, non-insulated wires could be causing it. This sounds very similar to a problem I had with the Indica mpfi.

Drifter

Last edited by drifter : 17th January 2010 at 00:07.
Old 17th January 2010, 09:04   #122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
Hey guys a small update. The title of the post say it all. Sorry for the low quality pics a they have been taken from a mobile cam!!!
Nice Footwear. When do we get to see her for the OTR now?

Quote:
PS The weird throttle issue raised its ugly head again and apparently it only surfaces after the vehicle is driven for 50-60 kms and if switched off for 15-20 mins again becomes dormant!!!
I have explained the issue in this post
Weren't you getting the throttle body changed considering that it's still under warranty. Better to do it now than later

Last edited by married2speed : 17th January 2010 at 09:07.
Old 17th January 2010, 10:28   #123
Senior - BHPian

@drifter & married2speed
Right now its trial and error. I have been driving the Gypsy as much as possible more so as a daily driver, so that any/ all the issues can be sorted out before the warranty expires in Feb'10

@married2speed
Quite soon buddy. Just want to sort out all the niggles first and get to know the vehicle before I start using it for OTR.
But apart from this weird throttle issue nothing more appears to be wrong with the Gypsy. TOUCHWOOD
I think that all in all I got a good piece and for a decent price

UPDATE FROM January 16, 2010
Yesterday I had to go near the Tiz Hazari Courts (about 12 kms from my place) the throttle problem which used to come only on warm engine came yesterday and that too on a cold engine. Further the check engine light too was on throughout the drive and the RPM was quite high, so much so, that I had to switch off the engine at Red Lights!!!

I immediately consulted the workshop as I was worried about the check engine light, they said not to worry and get the vehicle to the workshop.
Also I learnt that the check engine light comes up whenever any sensor malfunctions and the vehicle can still be driven normally.
After I finished my work during which the vehicle was off for about 90 minutes, I started for the workshop and though the RPM was pretty constant during the entire stretch, with occasional bursts of high RPM's, the check engine light was on throughout the drive.
On reaching the workshop the vehicle was hooked onto the small SCAN PC and the ECM showed one sensor was malfunctioning, this was hense changed.

Then on my way back the vehicle was pretty much how it should drive, lets hope it stays this way.
Will take it again for a long drive today, just to be sure
Old 17th January 2010, 10:52   #124
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Then on my way back the vehicle was pretty much how it should drive, lets hope it stays this way.
Will take it again for a long drive today, just to be sure
Go ahead - no problems
Old 18th January 2010, 09:57   #125
BHPian

Quote:
On reaching the workshop the vehicle was hooked onto the small SCAN PC and the ECM showed one sensor was malfunctioning, this was hense changed.
Harjeev,
Which sensor did you replace?
Old 18th January 2010, 12:35   #126
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotzuk View Post
Harjeev,
Which sensor did you replace?
Hey Vaibhav
They referred it to something as a "MAP Sensor" I dont remember the name exactly but its somewhere in this are Circled in the picture

After the change I've driven it for 100 kms, no issues so far!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Harjeev's 2006 Suzuki Gypsy MG413-engine-bay-throttle-issue-19122009-145443.jpg  

Old 23rd January 2010, 02:47   #127
BHPian

Quote:
Hey Vaibhav
They referred it to something as a "MAP Sensor" I dont remember the name exactly but its somewhere in this are Circled in the picture

After the change I've driven it for 100 kms, no issues so far!!!!
Harjeev,
Good to hear that.
But why was the throttle body opened up if the manifold pressure sensor was faulty?
Old 25th January 2010, 13:12   #128
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotzuk View Post
Harjeev,
Good to hear that.
But why was the throttle body opened up if the manifold pressure sensor was faulty?
I have no idea Vaibhav!!!
Incidentally I am not sure whether the problem has resolved or not as last when I drove the vehicle the RPM felt high, but as it early in the morning I am not sure. I have to take it for a long drive to completely check her out!!

I tried to fire up the vehicle yesterday but the battery has conked off!!!
The replacement battery is on its way and then Ill take her up for a drive over the week!!!
Old 27th February 2010, 21:46   #129
Senior - BHPian

Update on the Gypsy

It has been about 3 months since I bough the Gypsy, so an update is in order

Ive driven it for 4500 kms since I took possession of the vehicle and its been a pleasure unlike anything else. Out of this 4.5k kms 3300 kms was completed in just 1 week when I took the vehicle to the Desert Storm 2010.

One of the major issues that was troubling me initially was the wierd throttle issue, but with gods grace it has disappeared without me doing anything to it. What I can deuce must have happened is that I took the vehicle to an OTR once (taken it only this 1 time) and hit the silencer on something hard. Post this the exhaust note changed, only slightly, and since that time the throttle problem has completely disappeared. Now I think that the catalyst converter must have been clogged or something, but this issue dint appear for the whole of the Desert Storm trip.

Other than this I got a FE of 10.48 kms to the liter for the entire Desert Storm trip. During the entire trip I was doing speeds in the range of 100-110 km/hr. So is this ok or is the FE on the lower side??? Further all this was quite aggressive driving, I mean changing from the 2nd to the 3rd @ around 50 km/hr then 3-4th around 80 km/hr and around 100 km/hr to the 4th and then the 5th gear as just overdrive.
I even managed to take it to 130 km/hr but it goes to this speed only in the 4th and whenever I put it in the 5th gear the speed started to come down.

I've change the headlamp bulbs to 100/90 Watts and fixed a Hi-LEK relay along with that. I also planned to change the beams too as I was afraid that the plastic ones might melt with the higher wattage bulb, but couldn't find the old model (AUTOPAL) ceramic beams for the gyspy. Will have to buy it from Kashmiri Gate and then install it later.
Changed the Horn to Roots Windtone, added some very very basic stereo system with only FM, USB, SD card and AUX input along with some basic PIONEER speakers.
Bought the rear tow hook, yet to fix it though.

MODS on the cards, some will be done in the near future and some later
  • K&N filter
  • Front guard
  • Fog Lamps (maybe Hella 3000 or 4000's if I have the dough)
  • Change the complete suspension (all 4 leaf springs along with the shock absorbers) Help needed here. What to buy, where to buy. gas shocks, normal??? Which is better, what should be the cost.
  • Outside rear view mirrors of the Bolero Right and left
The above will be done immediately in the m/o of March 10
Then I plan to install a windshield roll bar and the roof rack for the gypsy and mount 4 Hella 500's or 550's on the top!
Also on the cards is an Air Con with heater for better cooling and heater for the mountains.
This is the plan for now. It might change somethings might get dropped and some might get added to the list.
Thats its for now but I'am loving and cherishing every moment of the Gypsy or Jeep-Ceeee

here's a picture of the front bumper, windshield roll bar and roof rack mounted on the gypsy
Attached Thumbnails
Harjeev's 2006 Suzuki Gypsy MG413-azad-gypsy-accessories-gypsy.jpg  

Old 28th February 2010, 13:32   #130
BHPian

Harjeev,
Just wanted to know how did you felt the gypsy ride with stock leaf springs and shockers during desert storm. I mean was it unbearable or was it ok because i intend to retain the stock setup.

Moreover windshield roll bar and roof rack will ruin the over all look of Gypsy, unless you are going for extreme offroading or you have enough luggage during your trips.(personal preference)

Any plans for rally cabin harjeev??? Will make the Aircon and sound system much better.
Old 28th February 2010, 13:48   #131
Senior - BHPian

@Harjeev MAP means Manifold Air Pressure sensor, a kind of input to your vehicles ECU

Spike
Old 28th February 2010, 13:52   #132
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Other than this I got a FE of 10.48 kms to the liter for the entire Desert Storm trip. During the entire trip I was doing speeds in the range of 100-110 km/hr. So this ok or is the FE on the lower side???
I think that is perfectly ok. Good mileage -- as you say that this was aggressive driving
Quote:
  • Change the complete suspension (all 4 leaf springs along with the shock absorbers) Help needed here. What to buy, where to buy. gas shocks, normal??? Which is better, what should be the cost.
Go for Monroe Gas filled shocks and that itself should make your ride a lot smoother. Should be easily available in Kashmiri Gate.
Old 28th February 2010, 14:01   #133
BHPian

My inputs in bold.

I even managed to take it to 130 km/hr but it goes to this speed only in the 4th and whenever I put it in the 5th gear the speed started to come down.

Even I have observed the same phenomenon in my gypsy

I've change the headlamp bulbs to 100/90 Watts and fixed a Hi-LEK relay along with that. I also planned to change the beams too as I was afraid that the plastic ones might melt with the higher wattage bulb, but couldn't find the old model (AUTOPAL) ceramic beams for the gyspy. Will have to buy it from Kashmiri Gate and then install it later.

I have tried as high as 140watts bulb in the headlight and it lights up the highway like daylight. Ceramic holders are must though.

Changed the Horn to Roots Windtone, added some very very basic stereo system with only FM, USB, SD card and AUX input along with some basic PIONEER speakers.

Hey dude pl get me one tow hook too. how much did u pick it up for ? did u pick up the adapter plate too ?

MODS on the cards, some will be done in the near future and some later
[*]K&N filter

Pl share how you are thinking about going for this and why do u think it will make any difference ?
[*]Fog Lamps (maybe Hella 3000 or 4000's if I have the dough)

You can also go for original lumax fogs with higher wattage bulbs. they r as good as hellas.
[*]Change the complete suspension (all 4 leaf springs along with the shock absorbers) [b]Help needed here. What to buy, where to buy. gas shocks, normal??? Which is better, what should be the cost.

I will be very shortly making a trip to hyderabad to meet a master craftsman whom Fazal Adil Ali bhai has recommended to me who has made the double leaf spring setup on his orange jeep. My requirement is a softer highway and city ride with a sightly increased height. I have heard good things about the monroe gas shocks which cost appx 1k each.

Then I plan to install a windshield roll bar

Go for the in cabin roll cage like i have done. (my roll cage is in building phase as i want it) It will give your gypsy a meaner look when you put the windshield down and drive. An outer roll bar will not let you fold down the windshield. Better still if you can get yourself half doors. it makes the looks better.
Harjeev's 2006 Suzuki Gypsy MG413-dsc_0068.jpg

pl pm me your number again buddy. I recently lost all my contact details

Last edited by abheekg : 28th February 2010 at 14:05.
Old 1st March 2010, 01:17   #134
BHPian

Quote:

The MG413 that we have in India which model does it correspond to on the Samurai
The MG 413 that we have in India is SJ 413 on the Samurai
Old 1st March 2010, 08:22   #135
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amar82 View Post
Harjeev,
Just wanted to know how did you felt the gypsy ride with stock leaf springs and shockers during desert storm. I mean was it unbearable or was it ok because i intend to retain the stock setup.
Buddy regarding the suspension I was quite OK with it and we did some really long stretch of driving in it. Like when we guys left Bikaner for Bhuj the total drive was about 1000 kms! And we did that in about 15-16 hours and that too on stock seats. Also to be noted here is that the tyre pressure was all messed up, It was in the range of 40-45psi when I checked in Udaipur.
All in all with the suspension I am happy with it. Now to think of it the ride was a little bumpy on the RANN of KUTCH but that partly must be due to the high tyre pressure. After getting it corrected at Udaipur the drive back (a shade under 700kms) was much better. I plan on retaining the stock leaf spring suspension, but with the Monroe Gas filled shocks as KhanSultan has suggested. Anyways my vehicle is due for a suspension overhaul so I would be changing the complete setup in a couple of weeks.

Quote:
Moreover windshield roll bar and roof rack will ruin the over all look of Gypsy, unless you are going for extreme offroading or you have enough luggage during your trips.(personal preference)

Any plans for rally cabin harjeev??? Will make the Aircon and sound system much better.
The roof rack is not an immediate item on the list. i might/ might not get it done and even if I do won't be before a year.
Again the rally cabin will also have to wait. Will definitely get it done sometime, but not so soon

@spike
thanks for the info

Quote:
Originally Posted by abheekg View Post
abheekg
My inputs in bold.

Even I have observed the same phenomenon in my gypsy
I think that the reason for that is the ratio in the 5th gear is 0.795 compared to 1.000 in the 4th
Got the following in one of the threads
Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
Don't know about MG410 but this is what is there in MG413W

Gearing:
-----------
1st 3.652
2nd 1.947
3rd 1.423
4th 1.000
5th 0.795
Reverse 3.466

TC-High: 1.409
TC-Low: 2.268

Axle: 3.73:1

Hope this helps.

Quote:

I have tried as high as 140watts bulb in the headlight and it lights up the highway like daylight. Ceramic holders are must though.
Ceramics are not easily available.I am on the hunt for them and will change as soon as I can lay my hands on AUTOLITE ceramic holders for the gypsy
Also experts please enlighten me

Quote:

Hey dude pl get me one tow hook too. how much did u pick it up for ? did u pick up the adapter plate too ?
I bought the complete set from an army vehicle.

Quote:
MODS on the cards, some will be done in the near future and some later[*]K&N filter

Pl share how you are thinking about going for this and why do u think it will make any difference ?
From what I have read and talked to people who are using K&N's I have come to the conclusion that it improves FE and performance. I am not installing the headers as that really changes the exhaust and I do not want to do that at present. Reason being that we frequently go to Corbett NP and I wish to use my Gypsy there whenever I go.
Quote:
[*]Fog Lamps (maybe Hella 3000 or 4000's if I have the dough)

You can also go for original lumax fogs with higher wattage bulbs. they r as good as hellas.
Are the Lumax easily available and are you using them??? What is the difference in the price??
Quote:
[*]Change the complete suspension (all 4 leaf springs along with the shock absorbers) [b]Help needed here. What to buy, where to buy. gas shocks, normal??? Which is better, what should be the cost.

I will be very shortly making a trip to hyderabad to meet a master craftsman whom Fazal Adil Ali bhai has recommended to me who has made the double leaf spring setup on his orange jeep. My requirement is a softer highway and city ride with a sightly increased height. I have heard good things about the monroe gas shocks which cost appx 1k each.
I plan to go in for the same shock but dont want to tinker around with the leafs!!!

Quote:
Then I plan to install a windshield roll bar

Go for the in cabin roll cage like i have done. (my roll cage is in building phase as i want it) It will give your gypsy a meaner look when you put the windshield down and drive. An outer roll bar will not let you fold down the windshield. Better still if you can get yourself half doors. it makes the looks better.
Attachment 296889
Regarding the rollcage, I do not have any plans at present for it. But if I plan to get one, I would be going for the Rally spec rollcgae approved my the motorsports association of india. But no plans in the near or far future!!!

@tharkan
Thanks buddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
I think that is perfectly ok. Good mileage -- as you say that this was aggressive driving
Thanks khan

Go for Monroe Gas filled shocks and that itself should make your ride a lot smoother. Should be easily available in Kashmiri Gate.
I will do just that. Thanks for the advise

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks