Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 6th December 2009, 23:02   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
Hey guys,
Here I come again.
it was working flawlessly but that was untill I tested the 4WD mode. On just engaging the 4WD mode the vehicle started shuddering and vibrating like crazy. The steering wheel was all over the place and so was the gear and the 4WD lever . After being driven in 4WD mode the lever refused to come back in the 2WD mode and I had to give up. It simply din't budge. I tried to after reversing it too but no avail.
Please advise

Doesn't this tell you that there is something wrong with this gypsy. No matter what the price is, and no matter what price you buy it for, remember this is a vehicle which should not have shown these symptoms. Something is very very wrong here, most probably with the front diffrential or the front propeller shaft, because that is what you engaged when you threw the stick into 4wd mode. MASS will tell you whats wrong and what it needs to fix it. But it's better if the owner sells you a vehicle that is roadworthy. 50k is a lot of milage and the price is way to high for it. And like SirAlec says I too doubt this gypsy wasn't abused. You mention that you are a novice and have never bought a second hand vehicle So like tharakan9 iI will advice you to give all this a serious thought and not to burn your fingers.
Old 6th December 2009, 23:55   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
Hey guys,
On just engaging the 4WD mode the vehicle started shuddering and vibrating like crazy. The steering wheel was all over the place and so was the gear and the 4WD lever .
Please advise
Does it also shudder if hubs are engaged, TC in 2wd, and hubs disengaged, TC in 4wd? Front prop shaft or axle bent? Assuming tyres have identical rolling diameter.

Sutripta
Old 7th December 2009, 00:36   #18
Senior - BHPian

Hey guys
I took the vehicle to MASS. The vibrations and all were still there and guess what, on immediate inspection it was observed that one of the tyres was 255/70/r15 compared to the rest 205/70/r15's. So naturally the odd tyre was changed back to 205 and the vehicle tested on and off-road again.
And WOLLA was as smooth as it should be. No vibrations, no sound or winning from the gearbox, nothing. The oil seal on the gear box is leaking and the SA said that that might be because of the odd tyre that was there on the vehicle. Additionally the oil seal is not that expensive.

On a busy road I managed to touch 100 km/hr in the 4th gear. I know that its not a bench mark but there was considerable difference in the before and after feel of the vehicle. The vehicle still felt a little sluggish but that too was because the owner has reduced the fuel supply to get a better milage or the SA said that "the fuel has been retarded and will be set to normal". So that issue is also over.

In the words of the SA at MASS the vehicle is in quite a good condition and can be bought and I think that Ill do just that tomorrow

@Turboholic
Buddy I think that having already restored 2 army disposals, I dont think that I have the energy or the time to do a third restoration. its not just the cost that one pays but the time spent. Having restored 2 and the 3rd LHD waiting for its turn, I think that I will give myself a little rest for now.
:-))

@tharakan9
Thanks buddy. I think that majority of my doubts have been cleared.
BTW the engine and the body are in quite a good condition. Also The MASS guys checked and confirmed that the extended warranty is valid and the vehicle has always been regularly serviced at MASS with the last service been done @ 32k kms at MASS

@Shibu it was nice talking to you. and the pleasure was all mine

@JeepCaptian

@Yogesh
@SirAlec

The 4WD and top speed issues have been sorted out. So no Issues on those fronts. Rest all is not that major.
Regarding the price, I might be able to walk with much less than what was originally anticipated.

@married2speed
Buddy I am not sure about gurgaon but here in Delhi new Gypsys non metallic are for 5.42Lacs On-Road price. So even if I get this one for 3.50 lacs that good money and the balance I save will be good for performance mods, AC, fixed cabin, tyres, instrument clusters, etc etc. The thing is that tough 3.25 or 3Llacs sounds good, how many have we actually seen vehicle going around in these range and how many have actually bought. I mean that this is the first gypsy that I’ve seen which is post 2005 model, which is available for sale. All others MPFI’s are 2002’s, 3’s or older carbs. So I am meeting with the owner again tomorrow and wont leave the vehicle for 10-20 grands.
I think that the reason is that not many gyspys are sold by maruti in a year, and of the little number that are sold not many hit the 2nd hand market. Thats one of the reason gypsy's demanding absurd prices in the 2nd hand market.

@pushkin
Welcome buddy to TeamBHP!!!
You are totally right about the rubber parts, but the issue as Ive written above was because of different tyre height and circumference and now the doubts stand sorted out. So all other issues are all minor and can be easily sorted out.
Yaar I am not planning it to do either like Arjuns or Allan’s. Its not that I don’t admire their vehicles, their vehicles are amazing will always be on my list of things when I have that kind of moolah.

But the vision of a gypsy I have in mind is that with a single cab, with an air con, a fixed cabin and a rally spec roll cage, decent tyres, performance mods (better headers, air intake, etc) and one vehicle for long distances crusing, city driver and OTR vehicle too. Somewhat like Vaibhav’s Gypsy, I love the look.
Additionally even if this vehicle is able to do even 70-75% of what the MM550 can do, I am happy as I have the RHD hurricane CJ3B for serious off-roading. The other day I drove Ashish's Carb gypsy and was surprised to experience the refinement of the engine, compared to the MM550. I simply loved it!!!
Regarding the price, I think that tomorrow Ill try my best to bring him down by as much as possible, but again wont leave the deal for 10-20 grands here and there.

@Sorcererenator
Thanks buddy. Ill keep that in mind!!!

@Sutripta
You've got it right. The issue was because of different rolling diameter/ circumferences. Thankgod it wasn't anything major.
Old 7th December 2009, 09:37   #19
BHPian

Hi Harjeev,

As per the info available, it would be a good buy! an MPFI Gypsy, 2006 model, single hand, Delhi Reg, under 50K km for around 3.5-4.00 lac should be great. Now, since the problem mentioned has also ben sorted out, there should be no hesitation. I agree, there are not many 2006 models available for sale in market!!

BTW, I have restored my Carb Gypsy, and have already spent 2.75 Lac on it. Considering this, even 4 lac makes sence!

Cheers!

ashish
Old 7th December 2009, 11:37   #20
BHPian

I'm so jealous of you!!
Here I am, with a 2005 MPFI, GOA registration, purchased for 3.4L!
Lol... but my vehicle has done only 27000 kms, and i haven't really had to spend any money on it so far!

Anyway, I dunno if this makes sense, but knowing that the owner of this gypsy hasn't taken off the road and all, I doubt he seriously realises the true worth of the vehicle - so hopfully he should give it to you for under 3.5L...

Goodluck in anycase, and I too think this would be a good buy! It'd make sense to not let the vehicle go for 10-20 grand...
Old 7th December 2009, 12:24   #21
Senior - BHPian

Great going buddy. Go grab it but can we see some pics pleaseee.

OT- I was thinking of starting a thread on "4x4s on rent" I guess you are the right person to tie-up with.
Old 7th December 2009, 12:35   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ym-enjn View Post
Great going buddy. Go grab it but can we see some pics pleaseee.

OT- I was thinking of starting a thread on "4x4s on rent" I guess you are the right person to tie-up with.
Hmm! And I was thinking of starting 4X4 Tourism. Now I know who owns them and who rents them.

Harjeev,

Spring leaves can be de-cambered to shape. As you said , this gypsy has been to Himalayas, some bit of restoration need to be done. If all lubricating points are taken care , achieving beyond 80kmph is no issue.

Also, please unlock the hublock to free the front diff.

Bargain hard, you know well. Luck to you.
Old 7th December 2009, 23:54   #23
Senior - BHPian

Hey guys,
I completed the deal today evening and did the exchange.
The fourth baby is finally home

I think that i won't disclose the price, but the price was in quite a comfortable range around what was being discussed here on the forum.

Thanks for everybody's help & support. It wouldnt have been possible without TeamBHP or as I prefer to call it

"Professor Team-BHP"

Here are the pictures. sorry for the low resolution. Will take better pictures tomorrow and post them too!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Harjeev's 2006 Suzuki Gypsy MG413-img_1301.jpg  

Harjeev's 2006 Suzuki Gypsy MG413-img_1302.jpg  

Harjeev's 2006 Suzuki Gypsy MG413-img_1304.jpg  

Harjeev's 2006 Suzuki Gypsy MG413-img_1305.jpg  

Harjeev's 2006 Suzuki Gypsy MG413-img_1306.jpg  

Harjeev's 2006 Suzuki Gypsy MG413-img_1307.jpg  

Harjeev's 2006 Suzuki Gypsy MG413-img_1308.jpg  

Harjeev's 2006 Suzuki Gypsy MG413-img_1309.jpg  

harjeev is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2009, 00:07   #24
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the new buy. Any planned mods?

You told your dad that this is also a friends just at your place for parking?
Old 8th December 2009, 00:16   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigman View Post
Congrats on the new buy. Any planned mods?

You told your dad that this is also a friends just at your place for parking?
Thanks buddy!!! And you remember that!!! Nope this one I told him is for me only, as I have promised him that I am going to sell of the MM550!!! Thought Ill really feel sad to let it go, but I think that its sensible as I am now not goiing to drive it that much after the Gypsy and the CJ3B.

Ill have the CJ3B for serious off-roading and the Gypsy for long distances, OTR's, normal city driving, etc.

Last edited by harjeev : 8th December 2009 at 00:17.
Old 8th December 2009, 01:33   #26
BHPian

Congrats!
She looks really good!
The alloys are really nice too - Good stuff!
Old 8th December 2009, 03:08   #27
BHPian

Congrats Harjeev,
You made a sensible decision for not going with army disposal as they take same amount of money to bring them to the condition that you get right away buying a civilian one and able to drive right away. Even i have spent more than 2.75L on mine.
Enjoy your ride!!

Amar
Old 8th December 2009, 06:46   #28
BHPian

COngrats man. your garage is going to be a 4x4 heaven.....All the best
Old 8th December 2009, 08:35   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Mubarakan boss. Good buy. I am sure this will give you lot more smiles compared to your other 4x4's -- atleast from a maintainence perspective :-)

Congrats & enjoy the vehicle.
Old 8th December 2009, 09:26   #30
BHPian

Harjeev, Congrats, Sure Gypsy is good for long trips and you will get a lots of road respect. Enjoy.

Most Viewed