Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 8th December 2009, 09:34   #31
Senior - BHPian

Hey Harjeev,
A very nice looking vehicle. It seems like it has been maintained well.
That's a very good buy. Enjoy the KING.
As Khan says, i am sure this shall be with you more than being with the mechanics
Cheers buddy!
Deepak
Old 8th December 2009, 09:41   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
Hey guys,
I completed the deal today evening and did the exchange.
The fourth baby is finally home
Here are the pictures. sorry for the low resolution. Will take better pictures tomorrow and post them too!!!
Congrats Harjeev,Welcome to Gypsy World!
I went from Gypsies to Jeeps and you are coming the other way around.
Your fourth baby seems to be in very good condition.

Just a quick question, does it have different tyre sizes on front and rear? Or my eyes are deceiving me?

Now you can add this famous tagline to your signature

"Its a Zuki thing, you better understand"
Shibu
Old 8th December 2009, 10:02   #33
BHPian

Hi Harjeev -Congrats on the purchase. sorry I missed the thread earlier.

Gypsy is an excellent vehicle to own. Cheap on maintainence and convenient for OTRs and long distance trips. FE is not great but it is not so much of a killer!

Hope to see it in flesh soon!

Cheers
Ankit
Old 8th December 2009, 10:10   #34
BHPian

Congratulations Harjeev,
That gypsy looks nice and clean!
Now, when do we see the gypsy makeover thread?

Cheers
Old 8th December 2009, 10:49   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Assuming tyres have identical rolling diameter....... Sutripta
This shows your practical 4wd knowledge. Tyres should be of similar diameter and must also have same thread pattern specially for a 4wd vehicle.

@harjeev

Congratulations on your buy!
Old 8th December 2009, 12:29   #36
BANNED

Congrats

That gypsy looks cool with no major modifications.Actually gypsy's looks good without mods
Old 8th December 2009, 12:36   #37
Senior - BHPian

Harjeev, congratulations on new acquisition. You said cj3b for serious offroading and gypsy for long travel. I would say cj3b only for serious offroading and gypsy for serious offroading/long travel.

Happy gypsying.
Old 8th December 2009, 12:42   #38
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Harjeev, its a cool looking Gypsy in almost showroom condition. Alloys seems to be strong solid and the tyres will serve the purpose. So overall a good buy.

There gonna be lot of good time ahead as everyone gearing up for long distance offroad trips.
Old 8th December 2009, 13:11   #39
BANNED

Congrats Harjeev, so now you have a delectable mix of 4X4s in your stable. I envy you dude.
Will certainly meet you when I come to Delhi the next time.
Old 8th December 2009, 13:31   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post
This shows your practical 4wd knowledge
Thanks.
Learnt driving on a CJ3 LHD. In 1972/73. And yes, I was underage.

Now must work on the theoretical side .

Sutripta
Old 8th December 2009, 14:27   #41
Senior - BHPian

@ladak.imran @amar82 @davids4x4mm550 @gonewithwind @starter @Khansultan @Jeep Captian @GoSlow @gotzuk @vinod_nookala @joshguy @dwaraka @Ym-enjn @n.devdath

Thanks a lot everybody for your best wishes!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amar82 View Post
Congrats Harjeev,
You made a sensible decision for not going with army disposal as they take same amount of money to bring them to the condition that you get right away buying a civilian one and able to drive right away. Even i have spent more than 2.75L on mine.
Enjoy your ride!!
Amar

This is the exact reason I din't go the Army Disposal way. Its simple too much time and energy wasted.
Anyone don't get me wrong I have myself restored 2 disposals, but din't have the time and energy for a 3rd one and that too in a year

Consider it my way, by spending just a little more I get a Delhi registered, MPFI, Civilian (4x4 seldom used), us-abused vehicle, peace of mind. All this for just a little extra is a small price to pay in my opinion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
Mubarakan boss. Good buy. I am sure this will give you lot more smiles compared to your other 4x4's -- atleast from a maintainence perspective :-)

Congrats & enjoy the vehicle.
Thanks Khan
This is exactly what I was thinking. In 1998 I bought a MG410 and kept it for 4 years, drove it for 70 k kms before selling it. The only maintainence I ever did was to give the vehicle for normal servicing at MASS and that was it. The vehicle never let me down and I had been almost all over north India in my Gypsy. Only the tail gate broke once, and that too was because of the extra big balloon tyres I had mounted on the traditionally week tailgate. But nothing else. So this really gives me peace of mind!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepCaptain View Post
Congrats Harjeev,Welcome to Gypsy World!
I went from Gypsies to Jeeps and you are coming the other way around.
Your fourth baby seems to be in very good condition.

Just a quick question, does it have different tyre sizes on front and rear? Or my eyes are deceiving me?

Now you can add this famous tagline to your signature

"Its a Zuki thing, you better understand"
Shibu
Thanks Shibu
I love the tagline!!!

And yes buddy, I admire your eye for detail. the rear left wheel is infact bigger than the others. This was the reason the vehicle was initially not very smooth to drive. Now all the tyres are the same size, but different brands. Need to get them changed soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotzuk View Post
Congratulations Harjeev,
That gypsy looks nice and clean!
Now, when do we see the gypsy makeover thread?

Cheers
Thanks Vaibhav
I will start the work on this gradually.Currently I am just driving it around town and getting the hang of it.
Want to do it on the lines of your vehicle. Simple and practical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Congrats Harjeev, so now you have a delectable mix of 4X4s in your stable. I envy you dude.
Will certainly meet you when I come to Delhi the next time.
Thanks buddy
You are most welcome, Anytime!!!

Will need all the help that I can get from the gypsy experts.
I am currently not planning any any mods or modifications. just want to get the hang of it initially.

I plan to get the normal servicing done, get the leaf springs adjusted or if need be changed, allong with the oil change etc. Is it advisable to change the complete transmission fluids too??? Or its not required?

Further I find the clutch a little weak. But thats just me. Someone will have to drive it and confirm. Will have to get that checked too.

FWH/ Lockable hubs are another thing that I want to install. I've put them on my CJ3B and it makes a phenomenal difference in the pickup, speeds, and I might be wrong but I find an improvement in the ride quality too. Can the ones that come for the MM550's and CJ3B be installed in the Gypsy or I need to buy different. Second New or Used??? Cost??

What is the appropriate tyre size that I should go in for, purely from a practical perspective. Ii am thinking of going in for BF Goodrich. Seen them on Gotzuk (Vaibhav's) gypsy and that have done 50-60k kms, including 2-3 times raid and couple of times Desert storm too, and still have a lot of life left in them. What size should I consider and the approx cost?

Later on (maybe 3-6 months hense) I plan to get an air-con with a fixed lockable cabin, performance mods, roll-cage, etc. But apart from knowing these terms I have no clue how to achieve all this. So will need, am counting and I know that I will get alot of help from my fellow Bhpians!!!

Thanks
Old 8th December 2009, 15:34   #42
Senior - BHPian

Vadhaiyaan, Mubarakan tey Patakay!

congrats on a sensible decision to buy a used Gypsy and not a new/ex-army disposal!

im eager to see what kind of modifications you will do to this vehicle since you are bored with previous two restorations of jeeps!
Old 8th December 2009, 15:49   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
...FWH/ Lockable hubs are another thing that I want to install.... Can the ones that come for the MM550's and CJ3B be installed in the Gypsy or I need to buy different. Second New or Used??? Cost??
No, you can't use the jeep ones. You need the Gypsy ones. The LAMDA ones cost some 3 - 4 K depending on where you buy from. Do go for them. If you find ones in good condition then you can go for used ones also.

Quote:
..What is the appropriate tyre size that I should go in for, purely from a practical perspective. Ii am thinking of going in for BF Goodrich. ... What size should I consider and the approx cost?..
I would say 215/75/15 in BFG is good bet if you are looking for a stringer sidewall. IMHO, Michellin tyres have the softest sidewalls (but more comfort), then come Yoko..
Old 8th December 2009, 16:02   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
FWH/ Lockable hubs are another thing that I want to install. I've put them on my CJ3B and it makes a phenomenal difference in the pickup, speeds, and I might be wrong but I find an improvement in the ride quality too. Can the ones that come for the MM550's and CJ3B be installed in the Gypsy or I need to buy different. Second New or Used??? Cost??
I read in my thread that you could also get Aisin hubs from a MASS. Aisin is MGP. I've seen them in a few old 410s. But i guess they are quite expensive when compared to Lambda (Factor of 3). Not sure if its really worth paying so much extra.
Quote:
What is the appropriate tyre size that I should go in for, purely from a practical perspective. Ii am thinking of going in for BF Goodrich. Seen them on Gotzuk (Vaibhav's) gypsy and that have done 50-60k kms, including 2-3 times raid and couple of times Desert storm too, and still have a lot of life left in them. What size should I consider and the approx cost?
I've got BFGs and the size that Khan has mentioned. I paid 23K for a set of 5. It is quite hard to find new BFG tyres (Mfg date less than 3 months old) in Bangalore. Yokohama is also very good. Infact, most people here in B'lore have opted for Yokos. They cost 21K for a set of 5. Hope, this helps.
Cheers,
Deepak
Old 8th December 2009, 16:03   #45
Senior - BHPian

congrats buddy, you have got the right vehicle.

i am sure you will enjoye it more than anything else.

Most Viewed