Team-BHP - The "Unservicable" Gypsy
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   4x4 Vehicles (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-vehicles/)
-   -   The "Unservicable" Gypsy (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-vehicles/71145-unservicable-gypsy.html)

Hello T-bhians

I am a new member and this being my first post, please forgive my ignorance and mistakes (if any).

Guys, recently I purchased a Gypsy from an auction site and it currently lies in an Air force base in Thanjavur. The one thing I did not notice while bidding for this is that it’s an "unserviceable" Gypsy. Now what are the reasons for this vehicle to get unserviceable? (A question that has been haunting me day and night)

I’ve spoke to a few guys in Thanjavur and as per them, it got old (15yrs) and they decided to scrap it. As you know how govt works here, it must've been lying there for about a year until it made this auction a few weeks back. Now, I have paid the amount (50k) and I am awaiting papers so that next week I can go and get it to Bangalore.

I’ve taken the liberty to assume the following (worst case):
1. It’s a old Gypsy, hence must be MG401 (doubt if its 401W)
2. Need a new battery and new tires.
3. May be a second hand engine or a complete overhaul of the engine.

Legends please help me answer these questions:

- What could've gone wrong with the engine and how much does it cost to overhaul the complete engine?
- How much does a second hand engine cost?
- How much would a set of new tires (not the mudzilla or the so called "balloon" tires, but decent ones) + battery cost?
- Do I take the vehicle and set it up in a Garage in Thanjavur itself or do you think it is better to get it to Bangalore (I was thinking of towing it with a Logan, but don’t think its an option) and get it done here itself?

I know that I have provided very less info of the vehicle, but I'm as less informed, so please let your imaginations think of the worst thing and tell me so that I would be in for any surprises there!

Looking forward for your valuable comments and assistance!

Thanks & Regards,

Wajid

PS: @Mods: Please let me know if I could've posted this another thread. Didn't find anything relevant, so had to post a new thread!

Quote:

Originally Posted by ahwajid (Post 1623156)
I’ve taken the liberty to assume the following (worst case):
1. It’s a old Gypsy, hence must be MG401 (doubt if its 401W)
2. Need a new battery and new tires.
3. May be a second hand engine or a complete overhaul of the engine.
Legends please help me answer these questions:
- What could've gone wrong with the engine and how much does it cost to overhaul the complete engine?
- How much does a second hand engine cost?
- How much would a set of new tires (not the mudzilla or the so called "balloon" tires, but decent ones) + battery cost?
- Do I take the vehicle and set it up in a Garage in Thanjavur itself or do you think it is better to get it to Bangalore (I was thinking of towing it with a Logan, but don’t think its an option) and get it done here itself?

Hi Wajid,
Do not worry about it too much. Lets hope that the engine is in a state that it could be overhauled. Even if it is not, you could replace the original engine with an Isuzu 1.8 engine. Hope, the other stuff like your 4X4 tranny, differentials, chassis and stuff are in a decent condition. To gain some confidence, you could have a look at this thread.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...-engine-7.html
You could also PM the OP of this thread (Member name: Dwaraka) and ask him for advice.
Do post some pictures once you take possession of your Gypsy for better advice from all the experts here. I am a novice still.
Cheers and Congrats on your Gypsy and by the way, a warm welcome to Team-BHP.
Deepak

PS: By the way, it is MG410 or MG410W.

Congratulations on acquisition. Did you start the engine? if you have, let us know how did it feel to you, far from being smooth or else.

Towing is a bad idea. put it on a truck and bring it to bangalore and give it to a good mechanic well versed with gypsy. Normal restoration with out engine work should cost you anywhere between 50 - 75 k. Post a picture of the gypsy to get views from others.

Yes do get it to a place where you can keep an eye on any work or where you can trust someone to keep an eye on it for you.

Hi Wajid,
Before Start Doing anything on the Gypsy first enquire with concerned RTO, Most probably you can't register a Unserviceable Vehicle, My Friend has Faced this Problem,
Don't Take Chance. Enquire Directly in RTO not with Agents.

Without having a look i dont think anyone here would be able to provide some help. Please get the vehicle checked by some mechanic.

It must be MG410w with 1000cc engine.

some images please.
there is no such thing as unserviceable.

Hello Guys,

Thanks for the feedback.

Off I go today to Thanjavur, lets see whats in store. Wish me luck! (need it badly). Will update further once I'm Back!

@siralec: I agree :)

Wajid

GOOD LUCK bro.
Hope you got a competent mechanic with you.
Towing all the way to bangalore? clap:
your are a man of patience!
Do update pictures from all dimension. You could get a precise estimate from gurus here.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ahwajid (Post 1637542)
Wish me luck! (need it badly). Will update further once I'm Back!

Good luck Wajid and post pictures pal.

Cheers,
L&S.

Lying unused for 1 year is no big deal. And it is certainly not unserviceable. There are many out here who will swap places with you readily.

I too saw that auction.

You have to put up the pictures without which we cannot come to any conclusion.

PICTURES PLEASE !

Hello Guys,

Back from Thanjavur; Unfortunately, due to delay in getting the papers from Vizag to Thanjavur, I couldn't get the Gypsy yet. But one good thing out of the trip was I could see the Gypsy in person (and the drive from B'lore to Salem was fun, real nice roads, can do good high speeds) and also the Airforce Logistic Incharge guy was kind enough to show me the assessment of the vehicle before it was decommissioned.

- It's a 94 model 410, light blue in color (the air force vehicle color)
- It has done 61k kms on speedo, but in one of the reports I think I saw 1lac Kms (not sure, as it could've been some other vehicle)
- The chassis looks in a good condition. (Will have to check underneath for rusting)
- Complete wiring is either shot or has been removed.
- The report says that the vehicle is BER (Beyond economical repair, considering depreciation of vehicle cost)
- According to the report, braking is bad, engine has low compression (any inputs on what the problem could be??)
- The engine bay on the RHS was empty!!! I thought that something was missing, but then when I came back and checked the pics on the net, noticed that its just a jack thats missing :D)

I will have to go back sometime next week or in Jan and get the vehicle. Towing has been ruled out as the braking is bad on the Gypsy.

Decided to put it on a truck and get it, but they are asking around 10K for that!! (400kms). Can any one give advice on how to do this cheaper?

One guy offered for 6k but I will have to pay for the permit for entry to Karnataka. (No idea how much that permit will cost, he estimated between 500-1500)

Couldn't take pics, as a camera is not allowed into the AirForce Base.

Inputs please...

regards,

Wajid

Also, please advice a good MASS here in Bangalore which is experienced in servicing a Gypsy. How good is BIMAL in Indiranagar? It's atleast near to office and home for me. Please advice! please:

Quote:

Originally Posted by ahwajid (Post 1646669)
Also, please advice a good MASS here in Bangalore which is experienced in servicing a Gypsy. How good is BIMAL in Indiranagar? It's atleast near to office and home for me. Please advice! please:

Wajid,
I would recommend either of the following MASS
1) Mandovi Motors - Wilson Garden - I give my vehicles there and the service people have seen and worked on Gypsy's in the past, and still get Gypsies from Army.
2) Suraksha - Hosur Road (below where the elevated road starts) - Khan gets his vehicle done there. Again he has seen and worked on Gypsies.

Cheers
GB