Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th December 2009, 11:47   #1
Senior - BHPian

MM540 2WD to MM550 4WD, 5 Speed.Transformed!

Friends,
Makeover of this HiBrid Jeep is now complete.
A 1996 MM540 2WD was picked up about 8 months back, an XD3P and Isuzu 4WD 5 speed gear box transplant were the main ingredients in the transformation .
Brand new bearings, brake drums, brake shoes, master cylinder, wheel cylinders, clutch plate, pressure plate, steering assembly etc. were put in. Front differential and rear floating differential too were changed.
The process of adapter plate for mating the engine and gearbox was done. Before the paint job, had to fit the engine and gearbox and do a test run, now the rear shaft had to be shortened and the front lengthened,due to the gearbox dimensions which is longer than the standard Mahindra fitted. The front floor had to be altered to accommodate the new position of the gear shift levers. Silencer was conspicuously hanging due to the gearbox position which is much higher, so had to redesign the silencer position and placement .Things at the body shop were not proceeding, which attributed to the main delay
Paint selected was DuPont. Upholstery done on imported bucket seats and on rear front facing fabricated seat. Matting custom made to fit the floor.
The top is sectional, the rear half can come off or be put back in 5-10 minutes on a roll cage which doubles up as a frame for the top. For the retro feel canvas was selected instead of SRF.
7.50X16 tyres on army rims plus the leaf spring moping completed the required ground clearance, (attn. GTO) gained 5 inches. Ride is very comfortable.
Conclusion: XD3P's sheer power mated with the Isuzu gearbox is extraordinary on and offroad. Extremely torquey. Gear shifting is silky smooth.
Over drive is an asset. Offroading is effortless when the 4X4 is engaged.

Overall: My best Jeep project !

The last pics. of before and after will give you an idea of the Ground clearance achieved.

Also wanted the opinion of forum members, how would a pair of Hella's look on it.

Regards,

MM540 2WD to MM550 4WD, 5 Speed.Transformed!-j13.jpg

MM540 2WD to MM550 4WD, 5 Speed.Transformed!-j6.jpg

MM540 2WD to MM550 4WD, 5 Speed.Transformed!-j17.jpg

MM540 2WD to MM550 4WD, 5 Speed.Transformed!-j12.jpg

MM540 2WD to MM550 4WD, 5 Speed.Transformed!-j3a.jpg

MM540 2WD to MM550 4WD, 5 Speed.Transformed!-j10.jpg

MM540 2WD to MM550 4WD, 5 Speed.Transformed!-j24.jpg

MM540 2WD to MM550 4WD, 5 Speed.Transformed!-j21.jpg

MM540 2WD to MM550 4WD, 5 Speed.Transformed!-j4.jpg

MM540 2WD to MM550 4WD, 5 Speed.Transformed!-j22.jpg

MM540 2WD to MM550 4WD, 5 Speed.Transformed!-j25.jpg

MM540 2WD to MM550 4WD, 5 Speed.Transformed!-j14.jpg

MM540 2WD to MM550 4WD, 5 Speed.Transformed!-j9.jpg

MM540 2WD to MM550 4WD, 5 Speed.Transformed!-j15.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
MM540 2WD to MM550 4WD, 5 Speed.Transformed!-before.jpg  

MM540 2WD to MM550 4WD, 5 Speed.Transformed!-after.jpg  

Last edited by fazalaliadil : 14th December 2009 at 11:52.
fazalaliadil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2009, 11:57   #2
BHPian

It's me first it's me to congratulate you on the job well done. (If at all my post gets approved )

Sensible design and good pair of wheels to own. Having a rocking 4x4 era Fazal
Old 14th December 2009, 12:10   #3
Senior - BHPian

Fazal bahi,
Another headturner by you!! Congratulations! Awsome job.

On Mechanicals bit, the cross member is towards rear than in front. This will reduce breakover angle. I know you have taken this as a concious call. Isuzu gearboxes are extremely smooth and noiseless but are lengthy. The future owner can use this as a soft roader with excellent on road comfort but cannot cross humps like we do.
Also the front shaft has splines for the movement of the prop shaft however it is missing in the rear and is a fixed type. You will have problems when driving with load and various road adulations. Prop shaft needs that travel to adjust to the varying length due to suspension travel. The rear doesnt have that.

Except for these, this is a fantastic jeep. Paint quality is briliant, and soft top looks great! No body can beat hyderabadi's on asthetics department

Last edited by vinod_nookala : 14th December 2009 at 12:13.
Old 14th December 2009, 12:13   #4
Senior - BHPian

Nice Jeep. Do you have any more pics of the engine coupled with the gearbod/transfercase?
Regards
Old 14th December 2009, 12:29   #5
BHPian

Wow Wow Wow!

Fazal Sir, I am breathless. Yet another amazing project from your stable!

Hats off to you for this Hybrid Jeep project and yes I guess Its your best Jeep project ever.

You have made it best of both of both worlds, On and offroad. MM550's offroading capablity combined with the brutal power of XD3P mated with silky smooth Isuzu 5 Speed GB made the 540 a better offroader and a highway cruiser.

Ever since you mentioned to me about this project I have been checking the 4x4 section every hour for your thread.

I am also working on something similar. Will post details once its ready (psssssst.. Dont tell anyone ok, just keep it with you)

Now I know the reason for your absence from this forum for long.

Personally I dont like the colour But the quality of paintjob is remarkable.I am also really impressed by the effort you take for even small details.

Where did you get that soft top made? I liked the design very much.

A pair of Hella's would defenitely add to its looks.

Cheers
Shibu
Old 14th December 2009, 12:37   #6
Team-BHP Support

A fantastic effort Fazal, dont't like that color, but the quality of work leaves me speechless.

Also, I have to agree with Vinod about the cross member. When you climb a mound, it is very likey that the cross-member won't clear it, in fact it will get stuck behind the mound. The distance between the cross member and the front tyres is too much. Even a skid-plate at this place won't help.

Last edited by Samurai : 14th December 2009 at 12:39.
Old 14th December 2009, 13:06   #7
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the build. The mica is very different, looks like glass and is very clear.

Where was the soft top made?

A pair of Hellas would definitely look good. Should contrast well with the shade.

Last edited by beejay : 14th December 2009 at 13:19. Reason: A pair...
Old 14th December 2009, 13:07   #8
Senior - BHPian

I am a newbie to Jeeps - but my thought is the Increase in GC is offset (may be to a -Ve) due to the movement of the Center CrossMember towards the rear.

But overall - a great feat acheived and superb finish.

Is it for your personal use? Or for sale?
Old 14th December 2009, 13:41   #9
BHPian

@fazal, The jeep looks great, Fit and finish and paint job looks awesome. can you please tell the total cost incurred for this restoration? (old vehicle + restoration costs)
Old 14th December 2009, 13:43   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post
Fazal bhai,

On Mechanicals bit, the cross member is towards rear than in front. This will reduce breakover angle. I know you have taken this as a concious call. Isuzu gearboxes are extremely smooth and noiseless but are lengthy. The future owner can use this as a soft roader with excellent on road comfort but cannot cross humps like we do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
A fantastic effort Fazal, dont't like that color, but the quality of work leaves me speechless.

Also, I have to agree with Vinod about the cross member. When you climb a mound, it is very likey that the cross-member won't clear it, in fact it will get stuck behind the mound. The distance between the cross member and the front tyres is too much. Even a skid-plate at this place won't help.
Fazal Sir, I agree with Vinod and Sharath about the break over angle.I think a skid plate under your GB/cross member can solve this issue to a certain extent because there is nothing much we can do with the lengthy Isuzu GB.

Quote:
Also the front shaft has splines for the movement of the prop shaft however it is missing in the rear and is a fixed type. You will have problems when driving with load and various road adulations. Prop shaft needs that travel to adjust to the varying length due to suspension travel. The rear doesnt have that.

Except for these, this is a fantastic jeep. Paint quality is briliant, and soft top looks great! No body can beat hyderabadi's on asthetics department
+1 for this. Missed out in my first post. If you dont have the tooth and spline setup on your rear prop shafts. You might end up with twisted or broken prop shafts or UJ's during extreme OTR's.

I know you would have thought about these situations. But just my humble feedback.

Shibu
Old 14th December 2009, 13:46   #11
BHPian

Fazal Sahab, congrats on the build, very tastefully done.
Old 14th December 2009, 14:00   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Fazal bahi,
Another headturner by you!! Congratulations! Awsome job.

On Mechanicals bit, .
I didn't look at the photos closely until I read about this in JC's post. But well spotted by you. I guess it will have to be corrected quickly before something gets damaged.
Old 14th December 2009, 14:31   #13
Team-BHP Support

Holy cow, even I missed the significance of Vinod's other comment. Now I see it, I didn't give a closer look before. Vinod indeed has eagle eyes.

The Spline in the front shaft, the rear shaft doesn't have it.

MM540 2WD to MM550 4WD, 5 Speed.Transformed!-j14.jpg

Also, what is the significance of these bottom leafs that are bent in the reverse angle. This again may pose some hindrance while offroading.

MM540 2WD to MM550 4WD, 5 Speed.Transformed!-j15.jpg

Last edited by Samurai : 14th December 2009 at 19:36. Reason: added info
Old 14th December 2009, 14:49   #14
Senior - BHPian

Fazal Bhai,
Yet another feather in your cap! Super uber!!Love the colour that gels with the elements. Finish is very good. Waiting to drive this one!
Old 14th December 2009, 15:39   #15
BHPian

NEAT JOB

Where did u get the upholstery done? Outstanding.

The diameter of wheels & rear wheel arch profile are not matching.
Any way to reprofile that?

do you mind to share some WIP pictures of GB installation

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks