Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st January 2010, 02:01   #1
BHPian

Land Rover Series III Restoration

Hi All,

In the past many months, I have posted details of my Willys CJ3B, as well as Land Rover Series I.

I now wanted to share the details of a new assignment I am stepping into- the restoration of a Series III 109 Land Rover. I'd earlier written about it in small bits. It was bought minus an engine & a gearbox- albeit in good shape.

Have a look at the pictures to see the condition it currently is in.

For now, I have started sourcing the spare parts including the original 2.25 lts Land Rover petrol engine & the gearbox for it. Work on it will perhaps start in a few weeks time.

Will share more details of it, as it progresses further.

As always, feel free to share your views!

Regards,
Abhishek
Attached Thumbnails
Land Rover Series III Restoration-untitled1-copy1.jpg  

Land Rover Series III Restoration-series-3-1.jpg  

Land Rover Series III Restoration-series-3-3.jpg  

Land Rover Series III Restoration-series-3-4.jpg  

Land Rover Series III Restoration-series-3-11.jpg  

Land Rover Series III Restoration-series-3-13.jpg  

Land Rover Series III Restoration-series-3-18.jpg  

Land Rover Series III Restoration-series-3-22.jpg  

Land Rover Series III Restoration-series-3-10.jpg  

Land Rover Series III Restoration-series-3-12.jpg  

abhishek_d_zulu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2010, 13:22   #2
Senior - BHPian

Looks good. What ever happened to the missing engine and the gear box. The vehicle hardly shows any abuse to the body so I wonder.
Old 1st January 2010, 21:39   #3
BHPian

I've seen you Land rover in person
It looks truely formidable, great taste I must say.

Some questions based on some quick googling on the specs. of this engine
It seems to be putting out about 77bhp, in the wherabouts of the 2.2 liter Hurricane 72 bhp. Whats the GVWt. of the vehicle. Would 77 bhp be adeqaute to move this behemoth.

Is your intention to restore and maintain it as a classic or use it off-road as well. If the latter too,..then would it make sense to shoe-horn a large capacity petrol or diesel engine to compliment the otherwise fine beast.

Also in comparison to my Jeep the Landy is truely built like a tank,..and would in all probability outlive Armagaddon.

Land Rover 2.25 litre Petrol Engine specs:
swept engine volume: 2286 cc
cylinder bore: 90.47mm
piston stroke: 88.9mm
compression ratio: 7.0:1 (8.0:1 from 1969)
carburettor: Solex 40PA to 1967 then Zenith 36Iv
power: 77bhp at 4250 rpm
torque: 124ft lb at 2500rpm

Last edited by Torque-ative : 1st January 2010 at 21:43.
Old 1st January 2010, 22:16   #4
BHPian

Hi,

Yes- I too had these questions when I started off with Land Rovers- but over the months have realized that their engines are powerful enough not just to haul the 1500kg of its own weight, but also other vehicles it can tow, or heavy payloads upto 2700 kgs.

I own a Willys, so can now comment with confidence that a Hurricane & a 2.25ltr Land Rover engines are vastly different- they can't be compared as far as power goes.

Good news is that I have already found a 2.25 ltr Land Rover petrol engine & a Series IIA Gearbox for this vehicle. Series IIA gearboxes were stronger than the early Series III ones, it fits into my restoration plan well.

Have now gathered all the other spares & accessories that I need, to start the restoration, except an overdrive. I am now working on getting that sourced.

Will get the work started hopefully in the next few weeks.

Will share the updates as it progresses further...

Abhishek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torque-ative View Post
I've seen you Land rover in person
It looks truely formidable, great taste I must say.

It seems to be putting out about 77bhp, in the wherabouts of the 2.2 liter Hurricane 72 bhp. Whats the GVWt. of the vehicle. Would 77 bhp be adeqaute to move this behemoth.

Is your intention to restore and maintain it as a classic or use it off-road as well. If the latter too,..then would it make sense to shoe-horn a large capacity petrol or diesel engine to compliment the otherwise fine beast.

Also in comparison to my Jeep the Landy is truely built like a tank,..and would in all probability outlive Armagaddon.

Land Rover 2.25 litre Petrol Engine specs:
swept engine volume: 2286 cc
cylinder bore: 90.47mm
piston stroke: 88.9mm
compression ratio: 7.0:1 (8.0:1 from 1969)
carburettor: Solex 40PA to 1967 then Zenith 36Iv
power: 77bhp at 4250 rpm
torque: 124ft lb at 2500rpm
Old 1st March 2010, 17:23   #5
BHPian

Good job Abhishek! Where on earth did you find her?
Old 1st March 2010, 21:29   #6
Senior - BHPian

Dear Abhishek, please please update your restoration threads. I'm especially eager to see the Land Rover S1, which I've heard is nearing completion.

Meanwhile, I've managed to find out where in Delhi this SIII is getting restored. A friend and bhpian recently dropped in and was complimenting the excellent quality of restoration. Ab to kuch boliye!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgchaudhuri View Post
Good job Abhishek! Where on earth did you find her?
He found her at Mayapuri. See the first post of this thread:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...s-1-2-3-a.html
predatorwheelz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2010, 16:09   #7
BHPian

Hello Frieds,

I just posted some updates on the Series I restoration- so, hope you enjoy the read and pictures.

I am equally eager to see the update on this Series III. I am perhaps few of the only guys across the country- who takes the risk of getting these restorations done remotely. As you can see, here I am in BLR & the Series III is getting done in Delhi. Similarly, the Series 1 got done in Bengal. Intermittently, I would take a flight & go see these vehicles. But mostly, I will have to rely on the restoration garage to get the work done & give me updates. Of course, most of them are kind enough to talk on a regular basis- some even daily, take pictures & share etc to keep me posted.

I must admit, the Series III restoration had taken a back seat, in the 3 projects that I was running simultaneously. Now that the Series 1 is done & on the road, I can turn my attention to Series III. Incidentally, I also got my Willys Jeep completed. It has come out great.

I will be posting some pictures of the jeep in the next week, once I get some of the details completed on it- cosmetically.

I know the Series III restoration is in good hands of my friend Jas. Hopefully he will be able to find time in the next month to get the work concluded- so that all of us can have the pleasure of seeing one more of these beauties adorn the streets & dirt paths.

More to come on this thread...

Abhishek

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post
Dear Abhishek, please please update your restoration threads. I'm especially eager to see the Land Rover S1, which I've heard is nearing completion.

Meanwhile, I've managed to find out where in Delhi this SIII is getting restored. A friend and bhpian recently dropped in and was complimenting the excellent quality of restoration. Ab to kuch boliye!

He found her at Mayapuri. See the first post of this thread:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...s-1-2-3-a.html
Old 8th March 2010, 17:24   #8
AVR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torque-ative View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek_d_zulu View Post
Hi,

Yes- I too had these questions when I started off with Land Rovers- but over the months have realized that their engines are powerful enough not just to haul the 1500kg of its own weight, but also other vehicles it can tow, or heavy payloads upto 2700 kgs.
Even the 2.25L NA diesel that came in the Series III was more than enough. Can you imagine we drove in the 4th gear for 300 kms nonstop with regular stops etc as the gear got stuck? Am a lifetime fan of this thing!

Cheers,
Adi
Old 6th April 2010, 13:37   #9
BHPian

Hi Friends... sharing some pictures of the work that is being done on axle, differential of the Series III. We haven't been able to post updates on this restoration- so apologies for that.

Post these, we will look at the engine & gearbox mounting. Things like electricals & paint job will perhaps come after that.

Will keep you posted how it progresses... will maybe be ready in a month or so. Looking forward to it

Last edited by Jaggu : 6th April 2010 at 15:11. Reason: Image not uploaded properly, please re post and use Preview before Submitting post. Thanks
Old 1st July 2010, 19:46   #10
BANNED

Hi, keep in touch @ vintage & classics>post 1950> Land Rover support group.
Yours Sudarshan
& best of luck with this project.
Old 1st July 2010, 21:13   #11
Senior - BHPian

Zulu,
A good job is going on your restoration, nice body and paint job. Overall the originality factor being maintained can't go wrong as it is evident. All the very best.
Regards,
Old 2nd July 2010, 17:29   #12
BHPian

I am no Land Rover expert but this one looks awesome..Congrats ! If I am not wrong then Mr Narayan Murthy ( Not Infosys one ) ,the owner of Tranquil motors on Kumara Krupa rd has the exact model and he has done it really well.He is really passionate about it and I had a long long chat on his Land Rover when I met him last.

I do hope that you do post the pics soon of the restoration work.

Cheers
Amit
Old 23rd August 2014, 23:47   #13
BHPian

Re: Land Rover Series III Restoration

Hi All, the Series 3 has finally come back from the garage, post a 4 year restoration process.

In its final avatar, it now sports an original Series Land Rover 2.25 ltr petrol engine, a Fairey Overdrive & a matt finish sand colour. Many things have undergone a change, inside the exterior- full new wiring & lights, redone interiors etc.

Will post more details as I test it in coming weeks.
Attached Thumbnails
Land Rover Series III Restoration-image.jpg  

Old 23rd August 2014, 23:53   #14
BHPian

Here are some more pictures of the Series 3... Didn't manage to attach them in the previous post.

Quote:
Hi All, the Series 3 has finally come back from the garage, post a 4 year restoration process.

In its final avatar, it now sports an original Series Land Rover 2.25 ltr petrol engine, a Fairey Overdrive & a matt finish sand colour. Many things have undergone a change, inside the exterior- full new wiring & lights, redone interiors etc.

Will post more details as I test it in coming weeks.
Attached Thumbnails

Old 24th August 2014, 00:33   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Here are some more pictures of the Series 3... Didn't manage to attach them in the previous post.
Will be interesting to know the experiences of folks who own other petrol engine Series vehicles...
Attached Thumbnails

abhishek_d_zulu is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks