Team-BHP - CJ3B: What's the best way?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   4x4 Vehicles (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-vehicles/)
-   -   CJ3B: What's the best way? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-vehicles/72763-cj3b-whats-best-way.html)

For the last year or so I have been regularly visiting Team bhp on a regular basis reading and lusting about Jeeps. First, I though I wanted to get a Willys MB or a Ford GPW. I looked around and found a 1942 Willys but the asking price was too high given the Vintage status and so I have put that plan on the back burner for the time being.

I really liked a CJ3B that Deepak in Hyderabad got after seeing the pictures he had put up on forum.

I started visiting the classified section to see if I would find something. To be honest, I am high on interest but low on knowledge about what is under the hood and quite clueless on how to go about restoring something. I have also read enough on how frustrating the process is and how many folks like me ended up with the Jeep Mechanic becoming their best friend. Well despite all that, the search continues….

This afternoon I took the first concrete step and went to Mayapuri and saw two CJ3B’s. One was a 1972 model and the other a 1990 model. Here are some pictures

Okay the following info. is from recently gained first hand information.

Step-1 Find your Mechanic, restoration partner. This will be the most important decision you will make in your jeep journey.
Step-2 Get the Jeep from Mayapuri inspected by the above said individual.
Step-3 Verify Chassis markings with the auction papers to make sure the deal is genuine.
Step-4 Ensure this is a original Cj3B, there are many chop shop examples at mayapuri running anything from Inter engines to 2.1-2.5 lt diesel engines and mismatched chassis and tub.
Step-5 Haggle, Haggle, Haggle Depending on the condition of the jeep expect to pay between 55-85 K if it is a as is auction jeep. Cant judge the condition of your jeep as I am unable to open your attachment, please upload using team-bhp Manage Folders function.
Step-6 Ensure the seller is able to register your jeep for it to be legal.

This is just the begining. It would be great if you have a running jeep as it would have aged better. My jeep was a still one and hence ended up spending more than I budgetted to restore the mechanicals.

Being in touch with a jeep club such as NIOC would be great as you would have help in finding spares and precious advise would be at hand.

My jeep was restored by Jasvinder goes by the handle of diesel_maniac
You may PM him for further details.

you want bling bling or 4WD?

the 1st jeep in the attachment has a front diff but no engage lever!

the 2nd jeep doest look genuine enough, it looks like a chop shop work!

Hey buddy
Ive seen the pictures
Its very difficult make out anything from the pictures, but from the looks of it the vehicles have been prepped up for sale and do not appear in their original condition.
now please be sure and understand that I am no expert and am just learning like everyone else. I may totally be wrong here. Like everyone else I am just expressing my views and opinion on a public forum and may/ will be partially and/ or totally wrong in my comments. So please read/ accept/ understand them at your own risk
Regards
Harjeev

The following opinion/ comments are in respect to the 1st vehicle.
JEEP CJ3B

Navial, you should just pick up Harjeev's 550 XD3P.

Hey navial,

Can you please post the prices quoted by the dealer for these cj3b, it would of great help. I am planning to visit there.

Regards

Pranav

Quote:

Originally Posted by Torque-ative (Post 1660371)
Okay the following info. is from recently gained first hand information.

Step-1 Find your Mechanic, restoration partner. This will be the most important decision you will make in your jeep journey.
Step-2 Get the Jeep from Mayapuri inspected by the above said individual.
Step-3 Verify Chassis markings with the auction papers to make sure the deal is genuine.
Step-4 Ensure this is a original Cj3B, there are many chop shop examples at mayapuri running anything from Inter engines to 2.1-2.5 lt diesel engines and mismatched chassis and tub.
Step-5 Haggle, Haggle, Haggle Depending on the condition of the jeep expect to pay between 55-85 K if it is a as is auction jeep. Cant judge the condition of your jeep as I am unable to open your attachment, please upload using team-bhp Manage Folders function.
Step-6 Ensure the seller is able to register your jeep for it to be legal.

This is just the begining. It would be great if you have a running jeep as it would have aged better. My jeep was a still one and hence ended up spending more than I budgetted to restore the mechanicals.

Being in touch with a jeep club such as NIOC would be great as you would have help in finding spares and precious advise would be at hand.

My jeep was restored by Jasvinder goes by the handle of diesel_maniac
You may PM him for further details.

Thanks. I spoke to Jasvinder and he will call me on his return to Delhi next week. The Mayapuri guys said they will get the Jeep registered for a charge of Rs 15,000.

I am looking at a Willy's Vintage Jeep today as well. Will post some pictures of that later today.

Red Liner, I would have picked up Harjeev's 550 but I am looking for a SWB 4x4.

NDMS: The price quoted is between 70-90 grand.

Harjeev: Thanks for that detailed review after looking at the snaps. I agree with you that the enjine and body of the jeep don't go togeather. The engine looks very rusted compared to the body. Also, the 4x4 in the jeep has been removed in jeep with the no 331 which is the better body in my opinion and a couple of other things are missing which the dealer himself admitted.