Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd March 2010, 12:01   #46
BHPian

Updates,..the Zuk trying to scale a cliff face.
This machine is neigh unstoppable.
Attached Thumbnails
Arjun's Black Monster Zuki-zuk.jpg  

Arjun's Black Monster Zuki-zuk-2.jpg  

Arjun's Black Monster Zuki-zuk-3.jpg  

Arjun's Black Monster Zuki-zuk-4.jpg  

Arjun's Black Monster Zuki-zuk-5.jpg  

Old 23rd March 2010, 13:50   #47
BHPian

Hi Naveen

Brilliant Pics!! Where was this, looks like Badshahpur? See RB also in one of the pics.

Cheers
Ankit
Old 23rd March 2010, 14:02   #48
Senior - BHPian

Amazing build, true macho offroader. Believe the only thing lacking is a climbing ladder
Old 23rd March 2010, 14:03   #49
BHPian

No This is behrampur,..Arjun just got the Zuk back after installing difflocks at the rear and he wanted to test it out. Just ventured in for a quick drive and back.
Old 23rd March 2010, 16:42   #50
BHPian

One heck of a Zuk.

This one actually lured / tempted me in to considering a Gypsy as a 4x4 equipment.
Would love to see the build pics/story of the same.

Cheers
Sunil
Old 23rd March 2010, 17:17   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torque-ative View Post
Updates,..the Zuk trying to scale a cliff face.
This machine is neigh unstoppable.
Can we have the video of it scaling the cliff face?
Old 24th March 2010, 11:00   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
Can we have the video of it scaling the cliff face?

Couldn't take it up any further as the spare tyre was touching the ground at any steeper and angle.

This has to be relocated, as it is hampering with the approach angles.
The grunt was certainly there though. Would also have needed to deflate tyres to get a wider contact patch.

Also the climb is so extereme we may need to secure the jeep using winches and an anchor point on top to prevent any loss of control and resultant topple o'er.
Old 24th March 2010, 11:12   #53
Senior - BHPian

Departure

Quote:
Couldn't take it up any further as the spare tyre was touching the ground at any steeper and angle.

This has to be relocated, as it is hampering with the approach angles.
The grunt was certainly there though. Would also have needed to deflate tyres to get a wider contact patch.

Also the climb is so extreme we may need to secure the jeep using winches and an anchor point on top to prevent any loss of control and resultant topple o'er.
Hi Torque-ative,

Putting the Tyre on the rear bed (Rally Style) will improve traction and road handling, as weight is on the Drive Axle.

But that will totally kill the looks of the vehicle (Side and Rear profile)

Or 2 setups one for road and one for OTRs.

You guys should try winching a Lighter 4x4 up this Slope (60 Degrees Plus), but use 3 or more Winches, so that at any given time 2 winches are holding the weight of the vehicle.

Regards,

Arka
Old 24th March 2010, 12:11   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
Hi Torque-ative,

You guys should try winching a Lighter 4x4 up this Slope (60 Degrees Plus), but use 3 or more Winches, so that at any given time 2 winches are holding the weight of the vehicle.

Regards,

Arka
Arka,

This is exactly what Arjun suggested I am pasting his FB post on the same

"Quote Arjun Khanna: Next time...with the front diff-locks installed...a couple of anchored jeeps on top with a two-way safety winch...and we are sure to do it ! Un-Quote"

Great minds think alike huh ??

The best part about this vehcile is not that it does'nt get stuck,...but the way it extracts itself without help form other jeeps is truely worth a watch. While making our way to this cliff face, the suspension stabilizer bars (The red painted rods) got beached between a deep rut and a gully. TRaction was avilable only to the rear wheels and it seemed hopeless. We were planning to manover two jeeps for the extraction.

As a last effort we piled rocks under the wheel which was suspended a few rocking motions later the zuk's wheel found traction and lo behold reversed itself out of it. Spectacular.

The high revving nature of the engine and the really low gear ratios (Lower than the jeeps) basically means that it almost never runs out of breath. 01 low is so low,..that we almost always end up using 02 low even for extereme declines, where one might also be tempeted to use brakes to slow down further.

I am convinced a MPFI Gypsy with SPOA, or COIL over, with lower rock crawler gear ratios and diff locks is the Ultimate off-road machine money can buy in India. Brash statement but seeing is beliving. Especially if you throw in class leading relaibility to the entire equation.

Last edited by Torque-ative : 24th March 2010 at 12:23.
Old 24th March 2010, 12:33   #55
Senior - BHPian

Winching Up

Quote:
Arka,

This is exactly what Arjun suggested I am pasting his FB post on the same

"Quote Arjun Khanna: Next time...with the front diff-locks installed...a couple of anchored jeeps on top with a two-way safety winch...and we are sure to do it ! Un-Quote"

Great minds think alike huh ??

Hi Torque,

Great Minds Think Alike and Fools (off-roaders) Seldom Differ.

I'm sure you guys are going to try it out. Please keep the following points while winching.

1) Use 3 or More winches of similar Capacity/Gearing/Speed.

2) Attach each cable/hook at different points in the Chassis; Spread out the load, so that the Towing point does not get stressed.

3) Make sure there is room/landing for the Gypsy when it is Winched up, if the Winching vehicles are too close to the ledge then there will not be enough room for the Gypsy to exit the climb.

3a) Ensure the cables/ropes don't get frayed on the Rocks at the ledge, put wet mats under the cables and use heavy Cable Dampers.

4) Practice this on a smaller climbs so all parties are familiar with their role.

5) Take a Nice Long Video

Regards,

Arka

Last edited by ex670c : 24th March 2010 at 12:34.
Old 25th March 2010, 01:32   #56
BHPian

Questions

2 questions for the gurus.

1) Reading through this Forum and others, I was led to believe that with so many modifications to the drive-train (35" tyres, off-set wheels, lockers, crawl-ratio and engine mods) the axles are definitely being over-stressed and need to be upgraded (or have they been upgraded already? The axles are definitely not fully-floating, have they been upgraded in some other way then?). If they haven't been changed they should be for the sake of safety.

2) They Ramp-over angle does not look too healthy, and the radius-rods look snappable if hit (likely while on rocks or climbing a large boulder/step). Is there another way for them to be mounted? The vehicles that I have seen as OEM coil-over have radius rods fixed onto the chassis without an extra mounting. Also they are at an angle and not parallel to the ground. What are the reasons and pros/cons of the current set-up?

I would appreciate if I could have everyone's views on these. I was also wondering about the absence of FWH, but then that's hardly an issue ( personally I think it's a small but worthwhile investment ).
Old 23rd April 2010, 19:05   #57

Considering the power of the engine and the fact that its been modded by a local workshop -it'll never be able to climb that cliff face in this century.With the kind of money thats been spent on the mods the owner would have been better off if he'd tried the same manouvre with a landcruiser albeit a preowned one.Would've been money well spent.The gypsy imo belongs to the 1980's and it should stay there.
Old 24th April 2010, 02:18   #58
BANNED

^^ Lol.. you think the owner does not have a landcruiser? How about describing the word "local workshop"?
If i don't know something, i don't comment. Looking at your post, i think you should do the same.

Last edited by saintsinner : 24th April 2010 at 02:20.
Old 24th April 2010, 09:32   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintsinner View Post
^^ Lol.. you think the owner does not have a landcruiser? How about describing the word "local workshop"?
If i don't know something, i don't comment. Looking at your post, i think you should do the same.

Maybe you should invite him for an OTR - he will definitely begin to appreciate our 1980's "relics"
Old 24th April 2010, 13:22   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstr2 View Post
Considering the power of the engine and the fact that its been modded by a local workshop -it'll never be able to climb that cliff face in this century.With the kind of money thats been spent on the mods the owner would have been better off if he'd tried the same manouvre with a landcruiser albeit a preowned one.Would've been money well spent.The gypsy imo belongs to the 1980's and it should stay there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by saintsinner View Post
. Comments should be made in light of facts and not what your personal judgement specially when they are made at another person!
The owner does own a Landcruiser Prado and this is his offroad buggy. This has been covered in BS motoring magazine as well!! You should see it perform before assuming.

Cheers

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks