Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 12th January 2010, 10:02   #331
BHPian

Dhabar Sir

I am very pleased with the product as it seems at the moment. I will definately buy one and use it as my daily driver, for long distance trips and also for OTRs.

It will do the job that currently my Gyspy and Ford Fusion do with just one vehicle and keeping wife and son resonably comfortable.

FRP hard top and AC I can get fitted myself as well as I am hoping it will come with power steering. Hope the AC fittment will not invalidate the warranty!

Cheers
Ankit
Old 12th January 2010, 10:15   #332
Senior - BHPian

Ot

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
...Another thing I wish is that Mahindra stops promoting the commerical pick up with the CJ front end. I feel it is a dishonor to the heritage of the CJ series to see the CJ front end plonked on a Bolero chasis to carry potatos...
Well said, 4x4addict !
I fully agree with this , and hope M&M do look into this.
It really pains me to see the CJ5 looking pickup being overloaded with potatoes/onions and other such stuff. On the OMR, I can see so many of these which have modified rear leaves to carry more load, then overloaded to look like an aircraft ready to take off .

Ample proof of the excellent low-end torque of the DI turbo being misused.
Old 12th January 2010, 10:47   #333
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Another thing I wish is that Mahindra stops promoting the commerical pick up with the CJ front end. I feel it is a dishonor to the heritage of the CJ series to see the CJ front end plonked on a Bolero chasis to carry potatos.. They should now exclusively promote the pick up with the older Bolero (square headlight) front end. The Mahindra designers can then knock themselves out adding more ornaments and skirts and crome to the Bolero pick up and never find out about the Thar. Gosh, just imagine the Thar with skirts front ornaments and the Walrus tooth. I could never live with that.
Well said 4X4addict! I was admiring one of these mock CJ front end potato carriers coming in my opposite direction on the highway(thinking how somebody is passionate in maintaining it so neat etc) and then to my shock I realize that it is a contraption!

I have been restraining myself for a good offroader cum in city occasional jeep for long. I might go for THAR if the M&M design team does not mess it up like the recent binges they had!
Old 12th January 2010, 11:21   #334
Senior - BHPian

Weight issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
Let me put my understanding of what these weights are all about:-

Now to the facts- As far as i remember Old MM550's as per their specifications had a Kerb weight of 1620 kgs (4WD with ST version),to that Kerb weight a weight of 150 kgs was added (1620+150=1770 kgs), this becomes the reference mass of the vehicle and it very well lies in the M1 category emission norms. The question now remains why does the Thar weigh 1750 kgs?? well even i am not sure of this may be due to the above mentioned reason, perhaps Dhabhar Saheb can explain it in a better way.
I hope this clarifies. Phew

Regards,

Spike
Spike ,
That was a useful bit of information but the old non NGCS 540 4wd was about 1400 kgs. I dont have much idea about NGCS 550 weight. But consider this-

New engine XDP to NEF- weight increase is about 100 kgs, add about 100kgs for heavy duty axles and larger diameter chassis and all. This must bring it to 1600 kgs max. Still thar is overweight by a good 150 kgs with out a full top. If one adds a FRP which roughly weighs about 60 kgs Thar would weigh 1810 kgs which is just short of 90 kgs compared to a Scorpio 2wd!!

When the vehicle already meets M1 category requirements then why is it so heavy?
Old 12th January 2010, 11:45   #335
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post
Spike ,
That was a useful bit of information but the old non NGCS 540 4wd was about 1400 kgs. I dont have much idea about NGCS 550 weight. But consider this-

New engine XDP to NEF- weight increase is about 100 kgs, add about 100kgs for heavy duty axles and larger diameter chassis and all. This must bring it to 1600 kgs max. Still thar is overweight by a good 150 kgs with out a full top. If one adds a FRP which roughly weighs about 60 kgs Thar would weigh 1810 kgs which is just short of 90 kgs compared to a Scorpio 2wd!!

When the vehicle already meets M1 category requirements then why is it so heavy?

Dear Vinod- what your are saying is right and logical, the MM550 MDITC with NGCS (Legend 2005) had a kerb weight of around 1620 kg it was a 8 seater with soft top option, this is what i am stressing on that the kerb weight and reference mass are different probably what is displayed in the brochures must be the reference mass, i totally agree with you that the Thar cannot weigh 1750 kg (kerb weight) no matter what you do, please correct me if i am wrong

Spike

Last edited by SPIKE ARRESTOR : 12th January 2010 at 12:04.
Old 12th January 2010, 11:55   #336
BHPian

Accessories for Mahindra Thar

All,
How about a list of essential accessories for your Thar.
To start off the list -
1. Freewheeling hubs - "a must have"

Last edited by Jaggu : 12th January 2010 at 16:15. Reason: Lets please continue the discussion here for the time being. Thanks
Old 12th January 2010, 12:24   #337
BHPian

Hey.. BTW whats the weight of the Army Striker?
I mean they also have same wheelbase & they also have IFS up front (Older one had SFA), also SFRA. Only engine is different, so it should be pretty much close to Thar
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar revealed at Autoexpo 2010-strikerifs.jpg  

Old 12th January 2010, 13:46   #338
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
So the moral of the story, is you had decided what you already want to 'GIVE' us and then the "WISH LIST" thread was just to soften, the blow, , create a sensation, a mania, and give what "YOU" wanted not what, a variety of people with years of off-road experience in a variety of vehicles, over many continents, suggested even requested. (I'm too young and inexperienced to belong to that esteemed list.)

Regards,

Arka
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Arka - Your comments are well taken. ... I trust that you will understand and appreciate that anything that is not at least BS4 is history.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Arka, we forgive your youth and inexperience. Obviously the Lockers or LSD that so many requested are not BS4 compliant. That MUST be the answer.

If you believe that, I have a used auto-rickshaw that I would like to sell you.
Old 12th January 2010, 14:17   #339
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
Let me put my understanding of what these weights are all about:-
Spike
Spike,
That was one hell of an explanation!!!
I have saved it for fine tuned reference later.
Many of us are only scratching the surface when it comes to weights mentioned in your post.
Thanks,
Old 12th January 2010, 14:33   #340
Senior - BHPian

THAR will never replace the MM540/550 and older JEEPS , for extreme off roading or for that matter any kind of hobby offroading, where the vehicle gets damaged after every OTR.
This once is for people like me who have to drive on bad roads and controlled off roading for a living and the maintaining the vehicle legality as have to travel between state boarder and have to get the papers checked [and have to got through a lot of other troubles since the car is registered in a different state].
It is compromise between both world , ON road comfort and OFF road ability to do things[ drawback due to IFS and not the power]
Old 12th January 2010, 14:57   #341
Senior - BHPian

A little off topic but has anybody seen this Mahindra Great Escape Game

Nice way of engaging the customer.

Btw is Stinger also being launched?
Old 12th January 2010, 15:00   #342
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post

Btw is Stinger also being launched?
you can order your stinger here:

:: Welcome to Mahindra-customisation.com ::

Last edited by Parm : 12th January 2010 at 15:02.
Old 12th January 2010, 15:35   #343
BANNED

Can someone define "extreme" offroading here which they think the THAR will not be capable of?
Old 12th January 2010, 15:43   #344
AVR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
I Picked up the game cd at the Mahindra stall. Good fun to play and hear the typical mahindra engine idle clatter in a game!
Old 12th January 2010, 16:06   #345
Senior - BHPian

Extreme Off-Road Event in INDIA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Can someone define "extreme" offroading here which they think the THAR will not be capable of?
In INDIA, it will be Anything non Mahindra Great Escape.

OK, more elaborate....
Anything organized by JEEPTHRILLS down south (Kerala, Karnataka & TN)
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks