Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 25th February 2010, 07:05   #856
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yikes6633 View Post
With all due respects 4X4addict and headers I have been following this thread with utmost interest and enthusiasm and haven't missed a single quote posted here.

In the past the posts were around the IFS, Chasis, Engine, Looks and the handling.

Therefore request to start the discussions/brainstorming again
Quote:
I think the Thar must be offered in 2 variants, both 4X4. One in its very basic form - no doors, soft top and highly customizable. The other with all the frills, audio system, roll cage and a fibre top (like the one launched in Europe) for those who like the feeling of a capsule. Obviously the latter will be priced significantly higher
With all due respects to you too, the thread actually starts from page number 1 and not page 57. The queries you have posted like pricing, variants etc have been discussed to death. Please read through the whole posts.

Everyone has made their wishlist pretty clear. At this point, people have been speculating the subject based on their biases and needs.

What we need now is some updates from Mahindra about who is going to be happy and who is going to be disappointed based on their wish list. We can make this thread a 1000 pages and continue speculating pricing and variants or having said enough, we can wait for Mahindra to give us an update. If you are done with this thread, there is another 50 odd pages on a thread which Mr. Behram had created titled "Wish List for MM540" or something like that. I think at this point every jeeper on this forum has given their opinion on what they would like to get. This was the point I was making.

Last edited by 4x4addict : 25th February 2010 at 07:10.
Old 25th February 2010, 07:13   #857
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I felt the silence as no one mentioned given that the Thar is launched the way described by the Behram Sir, how could we work on it to make it the perfect offroad machine vis a vis the tyres, rims, roll cage, doors, seating, lights, winch etc.

Also, we all have been repeated seeing posts that the Thar would be priced in 6+lac range, however given that its the 540 body in its basic avataar with a BS4 engine the cost of which can be reduced based on economies of scale I was expecting a discussion on the price.

Therefore request to start the discussions/brainstorming again
There is nothing much we can do on the price front - M&M finally decides to make the product a hero or Zero.

I do agree that the THAR is a 540 with a BS4 engine and some extras thrown in!!

But 6+ is not MY cup of tea!
Old 25th February 2010, 10:01   #858
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
how many of you guys will prefer a ST version to a HT one as a factory fitted option?
For me it will always be ST, but a removeable HT is highly desirable

Quote:
@DKG good news in store for all of you,
For my part have written to Mr. Anand Mahindra with a note of appreciation for making something like the Thar and my suggestions for 2wd and 4wd to be released together. Lets see if he gets to see the mail and decides to do something about it
Old 25th February 2010, 14:39   #859
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
how many of you guys will prefer a ST version to a HT one as a factory fitted option? @DKG good news in store for all of you,

Spike
We should have both options readily available. In desert areas and areas where there is a lot of dust and dirt, e.g. up in the Himalayas, you must be able to keep the dust off of you with a HT. Monsoon is strong up here, too. I would favor a ST for visibility and pure fun but I do not like eating dirt, snow and nasty cow brown stinky stuff.
Old 25th February 2010, 15:00   #860
Senior - BHPian

So the last few pages hint at THAR not being very popular in terms of the vehicle being offered, the engine, the equipment and of course the price factor!
Old 25th February 2010, 15:29   #861
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

HT is the way to go. If you want to convert to soft top, there will be many takers of existing MM540s for the hard top, especially if it is the cool one displayed in the european thar.
Old 25th February 2010, 16:30   #862
Senior - BHPian

Homologation

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear all - I was also wondering why the sudden silence? We are now completely immersed in getting the requisite homologation through. These are the "slog overs" that we have to perforce cross, to convert our dream to reality. Guys, pray! Please pray! We need every single prayer that you can give us!

Dear Yikes6633 - reply to your post above is - body, MM540 / roll cage, optional dealer fitment / tyres, P235/70R16 optional P235/75R15 / rims, 6.5J*16 steel (as you guys will change anything we give anyways) / seats, to suit 7 seater CMVR configuration / speedometer cluster, same as Bolero VLX / lights, CMVR controlled.
Hello Sir,

Nice to hear that homologation process is going on.

So What are the Final Specs like?

Does that mean we get FFRA (Full-Floating Rear Axles) all through out the M&M Range of JEEPs and JEEP like vehicles?

We want the Roll-Cages fitted by the Factory (under Yours & Spike Arrestor's Supervision and Expertise), not a cheesy sales pitch, by a Sales guy....Discount/Freebies = Roll-Cage.

Since you are a Rally Enthusiasts you will definitely understand the implications.

6 Point Roll-Cage Bolted to the Chassis. At least 4 points (Driver Cabin) Bolted to the Chassis.

Regards,

Arka

Thar or No Thar A Nice JEEP Song to Cheer you and Your Team --

Old 25th February 2010, 21:48   #863
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
how many of you guys will prefer a ST version to a HT one as a factory fitted option? @DKG good news in store for all of you,

Spike
Removeable hardtop

Sutripta
Old 26th February 2010, 00:30   #864
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
With all due respects to you too, the thread actually starts from page number 1 and not page 57. The queries you have posted like pricing, variants etc have been discussed to death. Please read through the whole posts.

I think at this point every jeeper on this forum has given their opinion on what they would like to get. This was the point I was making.
Thanks 4X4addict your perspective is well understood

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
There is nothing much we can do on the price front - M&M finally decides to make the product a hero or Zero.

Dear headers, I feel the same, 6+ is too high a price when we know the basics and foundation of the Thar has been around for over 25 years, the economies of scale and depreciation of the manufacturing units must be leveraged to throw some benefits out at us - enthusiasts, keeping my fingers crossed.
Thanks

We want the Roll-Cages fitted by the Factory (under Yours & Spike Arrestor's Supervision and Expertise), not a cheesy sales pitch, by a Sales guy....Discount/Freebies = Roll-Cage.

Since you are a Rally Enthusiasts you will definitely understand the implications.

6 Point Roll-Cage Bolted to the Chassis. At least 4 points (Driver Cabin) Bolted to the Chassis.

Regards,

Arka

Dear Behram Sir, I do agree with Arka, a factory fitted roll cage like the one in the pictures you've shared with us will be very much appreciated with atleast 4 points bolted to the chasis, if not 6. Please include this as part of the base version, it would be a blessing on the ST version.

Thanks
Old 26th February 2010, 02:09   #865
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EX670C
Won't a roll-cage bolted to the chassis make it stiffer thereby reducing chassis flex?
Old 26th February 2010, 10:30   #866
Senior - BHPian

Thar

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
Won't a roll-cage bolted to the chassis make it stiffer thereby reducing chassis flex?
Hi Nitrous,

Yes, additional side effect is improved torsional rigidity, whereby the chassis, will strive to push the suspension and leaf springs down i.e to the ground.

But in case of the Thar, it does not, matter the Thar is not an Off-Roader.

But Safety issues do come in since DB Sir, is always mentioning its on the road top speeds and acceleration and, participating in the Raid-de-Himalaya etc.

Regards,

Arka
Old 26th February 2010, 10:45   #867
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
But Safety issues do come in since DB Sir, is always mentioning its on the road top speeds and acceleration and, participating in the Raid-de-Himalaya etc.
Welcome to Sarcasm Society of India.
Old 26th February 2010, 11:29   #868
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear all - with complete understanding and appreciation of your needs and also knowing the very fact that "we are different" from normal people, in the sense that anything to do with 4 wheel drive and offroading does something to us and it does not do anything to normal people, which normal people will never understand so there is no point in trying to convince them to change, I INFORM ALL OF YOU ONCE AGAIN THAT ONLY A VEHICLE WHICH MEETS CMVR CAN EVER BE SOLD. I hope all will appreciate.

Dear Nitrous - roll cage bolted to the chassis? It will never meet CMVR. As it is, it is 7 seater, so no roll cage as standard fitment, it shall be a dealer fitment option. After you buy the vehicle, you can do what you want within or outside the terms and conditions of warranty policy. Then it becomes your asset, so you are the boss.

Dear Arka - whatever axle Thar comes with will work perfectly on it. Therefore, please do not worry. I will lay all speculation to rest by saying that it shall be semi floating axle, obviously Scorpio family derived, track changed to suit NGCS leaf spring suspension. You saw it in Bangalore Sir.

By the way, in a recently held Great Escape (dry sand dunes), it ran rings around everything else.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

Last edited by DHABHAR.BEHRAM : 26th February 2010 at 11:33.
Old 26th February 2010, 11:55   #869
BHPian

Waiting and watching this thread silently and carefully.

My plan for second car (a preferable Cedia) has been kept on hold after reading this whole thread (and the Bangalore OTR as well).

I think I can be a potential customer provided the price is kept as low as 6 lac, so that there is a room left in pocket for customizations.

Last edited by Speed Pujari : 26th February 2010 at 11:56.
Old 26th February 2010, 12:37   #870
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post

I agree to the last word, give us a Thar with bare minimum & basic off raoding kit. Obviously with an option to for every bit of customizing which can be done (as mentioned by gurus) to be done by Mahindra only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post

Dear Nitrous - . As it is, it is 7 seater,

This is a news, So if i am correct a full bench seat in the front (instead to two seperate seats like old Mahindra International) & two side monuted seats at the back can make it a 7 seater, Any other ideas??

Dear Arka - whatever axle Thar comes with will work perfectly on it. Therefore, please do not worry. I will lay all speculation to rest by saying that it shall be semi floating axle, obviously Scorpio family derived, track changed to suit NGCS leaf spring suspension. You saw it in Bangalore Sir.

Again, So it has SFRA & NGCS Leaf Spring !!!!! What about IFS?

By the way, in a recently held Great Escape (dry sand dunes), it ran rings around everything else.

Sir, More details please!!!

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Closed Thread

Most Viewed