Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 11th March 2010, 13:07   #1081
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post

With all due respect, I will keep asking the questions about the axles, till I get a satisfactory answer.
Agreed, you have the right to information, but all i'm asking is, if the final specs are confirmed, and the vehicle is already in production, will this question serve any purpose?

If the specs are not confirmed, i can understand the questioning.

EDIT: I see that FFRA is finally on the horizon!

Quote:
Given your experience with M&M JEEPs, what makes you think the Thar is reliable with the SFRA & MLD combo or it will serve as a jack-off-all-trades.
My experience with jeeps is nothing compared to yours, if you notice what i said earlier is " i think is supposed to be a jack of all trades, and master of none"

This is what i felt. (Again, i think) its supposed Do everything in a relatively good manner, and not just excel in one aspect. (we have the 550/550 XD's for that don't we?)

Quote:
i) Does it have the hardcore OTR capability of the MM540?
ii) Does it have the load carrying capacity of the MM540?
iii) Does it have the ruggedness of the MM540?
Nope, i don't.How do you now if it does or does not? have you driven it?

Quote:
Please would you go to the extent of defining fun off-roading and hardcore axle breaking off-roading.
Not everyone competes in events like TPC etc which are the extreme test for man and machine. There are people who are happier doing far less tough obstacles. Explanation enough?

if we go by your posts, only live axle vehicles can be taken off road, and IFS will curl up and die at the first sight of a rock.

Agreed the IFS may not be as capable as live axle off road, but except for hardcore off roading, i thin the IFS will be preferred by most customers.
Old 11th March 2010, 13:08   #1082
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
At the time when the govt bought these CJ'S and 540's the commander and armada were available too. Why did the govt choose the CJ'S and 540's over them? Similarly, the 2wd Thar, if priced well, can be a viable alternative for them. This would give the company the necessary volumes too. Then hopefully they can bring out higher versions with specific options which could satisfy the offroad community.
At that time CJs and 540 were available, so Govt obviously preferred them. but do we have CJs and 540s now? and THAR is not a 540, ofcourse a govt can be fooled by its dressing. but at what price? when a bolero 4wd is offered in the same price range or even lesser and more over nobody will look for BSIV when BSIII is allowed and also in terms of price.
Old 11th March 2010, 13:18   #1083
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Do please keep in mind that in a large organisation like M&M getting things done is a bit like trying to steer a ship. You give the right inputs and wait for the action to take place. Keep fine tuning inputs till you get moving in the right direction. If only it were an auto !

What's important is, these discussions and the points being made, are not entirely a waste of time. I do feel this is of great value and will no doubt positively impact the finalisation of Thar specs.

To what extent it does is anyone's guess, including the people who actually implement those changes.

Last edited by DKG : 11th March 2010 at 13:19.
Old 11th March 2010, 13:30   #1084
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
In terms of accessories
1. GPS (M&M can tie up with Garmin and offer a choice in GPS)
8. Roll cage tested to handle a complete roll over

Quote:
Moves are afoot to put a smile on your face
Is FFRA with MLD music to your ears??
What? When?

Quote:
Sender sends a Message through a Channel; which is distorted by Noise, to a Receiver, who receives the Message, and sends a Feedback.
It is a LOOP, ending with Feedback; which starts another Loop.
Arka
OT- Arka Saar, are you talking about a closed loop control system?
Old 11th March 2010, 13:49   #1085
Senior - BHPian

Jack-Off-All-Trades

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
Nope, i don't.How do you now if it does or does not? have you driven it?

Not everyone competes in events like TPC etc which are the extreme test for man and machine. There are people who are happier doing far less tough obstacles. Explanation enough?

if we go by your posts, only live axle vehicles can be taken off road, and IFS will curl up and die at the first sight of a rock.

Agreed the IFS may not be as capable as live axle off road, but except for hardcore off roading, i thin the IFS will be preferred by most customers.
JayD Saar,

I'm too insignificant in this Grand Scheme to get a chance to drive the Mahindra THAR.

From what I have seen, its only got a better Engine & Gearbox compared to my MM540XD.

Please explain "far less tough obstacles" ? Is it the regular Bangalore OTRs, Kerala OTRs or the regular Chennai OTRs.

If I believe that the IFS will curl up and die at the first sight of rocks, I will definitely say it in as many words.

But to say the least, on hard surface the IFS( Lower/Upper Arms) will get damaged, due to theri design and as they have more moving parts; if fully then the vehicle will be immobilized, if partially damaged then the Camber/Caster/Toe-In will change and the tyre will get chewed up.

Neither one is a cheap replacement.

Did it every occur to some, that All the OTRs in India are Hardcore/Serious because we use Solid Axle Leaf Spring Mahindra JEEPs.

Regards,

Arka

Last edited by ex670c : 11th March 2010 at 13:54.
Old 11th March 2010, 13:54   #1086
Senior - BHPian

C R D e

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
OT- Arka Saar, are you talking about a closed loop control system?
Hi Spike,

Do I Look & Sound Like a Closed Loop Control System (CLCS) kinda guy?

Regards,

Arka
Old 11th March 2010, 14:50   #1087
Team-BHP Support

Yeah thats true, most of the trails in India are unique in many ways, including the surface (rocky and filled with ruts). Even during monsoons when the soil might be soft, but trails filled with unsuspecting boulders. Capable imported vehicles also face tough issues in our trail, issues starting with the size of the trails itself
Old 11th March 2010, 15:04   #1088
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Spike if Harley can make more money selling jackets and helmets why not the Thar division in Mahindra? Accessories can be big business for Mahindra

M&M have the FFRA. Now they need to develop an axle to suit the MLD or vice versa. Not possible?
Old 11th March 2010, 15:15   #1089
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Accessories can be big business for Mahindra
Yes, and only if they make some major changes in their acc design department!!
Old 11th March 2010, 15:38   #1090
BHPian

info

Quote:
Spike if Harley can make more money selling jackets and helmets why not the Thar division in Mahindra? Accessories can be big business for Mahindra

M&M have the FFRA. Now they need to develop an axle to suit the MLD or vice versa. Not possible?
Also Spike, I have a few questions:

1. Who do you think are going to be the potential buyers of the Thar?
2. Only valid if the answer to above is greater than one: why can't M&M have different variants catering to the different classes?
3. Is M&M thinking of catering Thar to the Army as well?

Thanks,
Tejas
Old 11th March 2010, 17:18   #1091
BHPian

Hello Jeep Guru's

Any ideas as to when will the THAR be released.?, I hope the thar is not another OM611 from Force Motors
Old 11th March 2010, 18:09   #1092
Senior - BHPian

Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivshanker View Post
Hello Jeep Guru's

Any ideas as to when will the THAR be released.?, I hope the thar is not another OM611 from Force Motors

Hi Shiv,

Has anyone seen an OM611 Gurkha?

Regards,

Arka
Old 11th March 2010, 20:07   #1093
BHPian

Quote:
ii) Does it have the load carrying capacity of the MM540?
Just another question regarding axles.

These info is from respective spec sheets

MM550XDP:
Front: Ratio= 4.88:1 Capacity: 907 Kg
Rear: Ratio= 4.88:1 Capacity: 1134 Kg (SFRA)

Thar Axles (As released on European Site)
Front: Ratio= 4.3:1 Capacity: 1100 Kg
Rear: Ratio = 4.3:1 Capacity: 1700 Kg (SFRA)

NGCS MM550XD: (Please Post for FFRA)

Bolero:
(Please post for FFRA)

What does the Capacity signifies?
Is it how much weight that axle is capable of towing?
Does higher capacity means better strength?

Here. the Thar's axle capacity seems to be more, though they are better suitable for speed w.r.t Ratio.
Old 11th March 2010, 20:22   #1094
Senior - BHPian

@Offroad_maniac , hmm interesting, members please give your comments

Spike
Old 11th March 2010, 20:30   #1095
BHPian

Sorry all (as I am not into off-roading much and this is off-topic for me), but is this thread the longest for a vehicle that is not yet released? 73 pages and growing.
As to myself, I am learning a lot of terms (off roading jargon, i mean). Thanks all.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks