Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 18th March 2010, 15:35   #1186
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Maybe not to be discussed on this thread, but the TATA Safari is not a bench mark for handling SIRJI.
Exactly, thats my point, its a long wheelbase vehicle, so it should handle well according to Arka.
Old 18th March 2010, 15:55   #1187
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Exactly, thats my point, its a long wheelbase vehicle, so it should handle well according to Arka.
May not handle well but definitely a comfortable vehicle for the family isn't it?
Old 18th March 2010, 16:05   #1188
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
May not handle well but definitely a comfortable vehicle for the family isn't it?
Yes it is, but thats not because of the long wheelbase only. The soft suspension also plays a part.
MY point was that long wheelbase is not the only factor. Long wheelbase ensures lot of space. ride quality, and handling depend more on the suspension setup. For example, there are hatchbacks with short wheelbase which handle better than long wheelbase sedans, and are equally competent in the ride quality front.
Old 18th March 2010, 16:15   #1189
Senior - BHPian

Wheelbase and Vehicle Dynamics

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
Comfort = Longer Wheel Base above 100"
Not necessary, take the example of a safari.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Therefore, wheelbase alone doesn't decide comfort. With the right suspension setup and good roads, wheelbase can be mostly ignored as far as comfort is concerned.
Rightly said.

Quote:
As for wheel base, its just a contributing factor, not the "deciding" factor. Handing and ride quality depend on a lot of factors, and wheelbase is not really a "necessary factor".
Again well said, it would be nice if someone could enunciate those "deciding factors". A lot has been said regarding wheelbases, can anyone explain how is the wheelbase decided for a vehicle (forces at work)?

Spike
Old 18th March 2010, 16:16   #1190
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes it is, but thats not because of the long wheelbase only. The soft suspension also plays a part.
MY point was that long wheelbase is not the only factor. Long wheelbase ensures lot of space. ride quality, and handling depend more on the suspension setup. For example, there are hatchbacks with short wheelbase which handle better than long wheelbase sedans, and are equally competent in the ride quality front.
Yes ride quality and handling is dependent on a lot of things. Even the CoG has a big role to play in the handling.

Coming back to Arka'S POINT, short wheelbase is leads to cramped interior space which will not make a very comfortable family vehicle. But a longer wheelbase will provide more space. All other things are not so simple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
A lot has been said regarding wheelbases, can anyone explain how is the wheelbase decided for a vehicle (forces at work)?

Spike
Saar, you are the technical person here. Why don't you educate us? I'm always looking for some gyan

Last edited by MileCruncher : 18th March 2010 at 16:18.
Old 18th March 2010, 18:03   #1191
Team-BHP Support

I think we are going too off-topic here. Whenever I said family friendly, I meant lockable cabin and AC. Expecting ride comfort beyond reason in an offroad vehicle might rob it's offroad ability.

Therefore, let's not worry about the effect of wheelbase on comfort or handling, this is not the thread for it. If a vehicle doesn't have lockable cabin and AC, it is not family friendly. Let's move on.
Old 18th March 2010, 18:22   #1192
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
A lot has been said regarding wheelbases, can anyone explain how is the wheelbase decided for a vehicle (forces at work)?
Spike: I will look into my parts bin only :

1. Take a vehicle model that has minimal road returns.

2. Call my engine department and ask them to give me one of their rugged old proven, but new tech BS4 engine.

3. Call my axle as well as suspension department and ask to strip the vehicle for a new project.

4. Put the new BS4 engine in the chassis. Maybe cut the length a little bit to suit a more comfortable body shape such as the "YEEPS".

5. Tell the axle/suspension department, that the new project vehicle should do 100 kph with ease ON ROAD. They come up with a brilliant idea of IFS up front from the model "yourpio" which has been selling successfully till date.

6. The Chassis department fine tunes the idea taking cues further from another rural best seller "yourlero". They reduce weight by removing doors, PW, CL etc etc.

7. A new project vehicle is born with 4wd, IFS, high speed cruiseability and a bullet proof engine. The Wheelbase has been decided!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Expecting ride comfort beyond reason in an offroad vehicle might rob it's offroad ability.
Therefore, let's not worry about the effect of wheelbase on comfort or handling, this is not the thread for it.
All wheelbases have their advantages as well as disadvantages - Maybe a separate thread could be started to discuss that!

Last edited by headers : 18th March 2010 at 18:25.
Old 18th March 2010, 20:45   #1193
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Spike: I will look into my parts bin only :
Man this is funny
Quote:
"YEEPS".

"yourpio" "yourlero".
But this definitely takes the cake

Btw what will be the new project vehicle called? Don't tell me it will be "YAAR"

Last edited by MileCruncher : 18th March 2010 at 20:47.
Old 18th March 2010, 23:19   #1194
Senior - BHPian

so last few pages suggest that MM is going the invader way with THAR, when we compare the price vs equipment being provided on the vehicle?
Old 18th March 2010, 23:27   #1195
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
Also good to see that link and one person has very definite concerns. Posting his comments from that site - I will be worried about each and every point that he makes more than anything else.

"A few things of concern though, the general safety did'nt impress me much.
Steering wheel way to close to dash, my
nuckles rubbed when turning full locks.
4x4 lever was way down in the foot well,
you have to take ur eyes off the obstacle to engage. Engaging is very difficult, and u also GRATE ur knuckles on the centre console. "
May be Steering wheel is really too close to dash, more closer is the 4WD Lever.
Can imagine what will be the case with LHD Thar driver while changing 4WD modes?
These things needs to address.

Above quoted comments are from a South African forum where a White RHD Thar was kept on display(Pic is already posted). It was attractive, but those comments are not a good sign.

Some comments from M&M pls...
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar revealed at Autoexpo 2010-img_0852.jpg  

Mahindra Thar revealed at Autoexpo 2010-steering.jpg  

Last edited by offroad_maniac : 18th March 2010 at 23:32.
Old 19th March 2010, 00:12   #1196
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroad_maniac View Post
May be Steering wheel is really too close to dash, more closer is the 4WD Lever.
Can imagine what will be the case with LHD Thar driver while changing 4WD modes?
These things needs to address.
They procure GB and design the gear lever to suit the vehicle. if it is not a direct shift, then you should really appreciate the design done by M&M. 550 XDB guys can tell how good it is.
Old 19th March 2010, 00:36   #1197
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by star_aqua View Post
They procure GB and design the gear lever to suit the vehicle. if it is not a direct shift, then you should really appreciate the design done by M&M. 550 XDB guys can tell how good it is.
(Only the 4wd shifter is in question here....)

Yes. Its definitely better than 4wd Knob, its just that it can be irritating if your hands/ fingers are rubbing against the console.
Again, I have not yet experienced it by myself.

OK M&M..
Whats the update for us, "The Indians"?
Old 19th March 2010, 11:51   #1198
Senior - BHPian

Suspension/Comfort/Handling

Quote:
Well Stick the same suspension in a SWB Safari and see which handles better.
Old 19th March 2010, 12:21   #1199
BHPian

I must have lost it while reading this thread but when is Thar going to be launched in India ?

--Vikrant
Old 19th March 2010, 12:29   #1200
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikrantj View Post
I must have lost it while reading this thread but when is Thar going to be launched in India ?

--Vikrant
That question is already answered here. read "Santa is coming early this time... Christmas will be early this year" & something like that..
Actual date & other details will be revealed once this thread gets 2000 post old..

till then .
Closed Thread

Most Viewed