Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 24th March 2010, 21:23   #1246
Senior - BHPian

Am I loosing something in this thread, the last 10 soemthing discussion is not related to Thar I guess, am I right.
Old 24th March 2010, 21:28   #1247
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
OT- Who told you about this? Any news from Europe?

Spike

SCOOP: Mahindra Xylo 4x4 nearly ready

There's a thread on this. You have posted your views & questions already!

@Zingamazon- Not related to Thar but mechanicals in the vehicles discussed are related to Thar

MODS- If Bolero Storm 4wd is going to be a reality then we can have a thread on it separately and yes this time please don't make it a wish list Thread- "Anything and Every thing about Bolero Storm 4wd" would be apt i guess. Wish list thread creates lot of hopes and shouldn't go the THAR way. Just my opinion

Last edited by vinod_nookala : 24th March 2010 at 21:34.
Old 24th March 2010, 21:30   #1248
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post

With rising diesel prices, I can always ferry local passengers to recover the cost I hope now you are clear I'm not the ideal target customers for the Thar that your marketing department might have envisaged.

Cheers

P.S: Please pass my above thought with regards to Arif as well
Anirudha, now i am clear, i liked the last reason.

Spike

P.S. BTW how do you know Arif?
Old 24th March 2010, 21:40   #1249
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
P.S. BTW how do you know Arif?
Who doesn't know Arif? He is at practically every MGE.
Old 25th March 2010, 11:32   #1250
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
OT- Who told you about this? Any news from Europe?

Spike
This came to my inbox Spike!!

Spied – Mahindra Xylo 4×4 The Mahindra Xylo 4x4 will improve road grip and aid vehicle stability Mahindra's Xylo MPV, according to Business Standard was designed to house a 4-wheel drive system. When we attended the launch of the Xylo in 2009, Mahindra made it clear that the Xylo could be fitted with a four wheel drive system and the car's architecture permitted even the use of a petrol engine. Business Standard now has pictures of the Xylo 4x4 which was part of the Mahindra Great Escape event that concluded recently in Khimsar, Rajasthan. The vehicle is undergoing its final round of testing and it managed to conquer the course without shedding a drop of sweat. According to sources, the Mahindra Xylo's part time 4wd system uses an advanced version of the Borg & Warner system. It could be a real-time all-wheel drive system like the one found on the Honda CR-V, where the system finds ways to provide maximum road grip and stability rather than off-roading traits. The Xylo 4x4 would be India's first MPV with 4x4 technology when launched. Maybe in India, the Xylo 4x4 would not have a market. In places like South Africa, people could line up outside Mahindra showrooms for one.

PS: Mods pl delete if found inappropriate!

Last edited by headers : 25th March 2010 at 11:33.
Old 25th March 2010, 17:00   #1251
KMT
BHPian

Mr Behram/Spike
If you are really have a bodywork person working on this would it be possible to lower the windscreen by about 3 cms and give it some more rake, same with the door frames and the B pillar. It will give it a more squat amd muscular look like a Wrangler.
The tall windshield, big doors and high B pillar look pretty outdated.
I know beggars cant be choosers, but it will save the trouble of having to do that aftermarket.
Regards
Old 25th March 2010, 21:32   #1252
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Business Standard now has pictures of the Xylo 4x4 which was part of the Mahindra Great Escape event that concluded recently in Khimsar, Rajasthan.
The vehicle is undergoing its final round of testing and it managed to conquer the course without shedding a drop of sweat.
So whats so secret about Thar then?
Anyhow its already been launched in Europe & SA, so why Thar was not taken to this MGE for test drive? Just a thought...
Old 26th March 2010, 03:15   #1253
Senior - BHPian

first we saw Xylo..
then we saw the spy photos of Xylo pickup (for exports ONLY)
now its Xylo 4WD (again for exports ONLY)

there is hardly any sale of 4WDs in india to justify the volumes of Xylo 4WD!

anyway regarding the THAR, lets stick to the topic of this thread and not get carried about by 'commercial breaks'!

we all know how big or small the 4WD market in india is!
Old 26th March 2010, 14:37   #1254
Senior - BHPian

Cashing on Gypsy trend!

An interesting thought occurred when i saw new Gypsy pics in Gypsy pics thread. In team bhp alone we have seen influx of many new Gypsy's that are bought purely for personal use. When did we last see a M&M real 4x4 bought new on team bhp? What we have are countless rebuild threads!!

M&M 4x4's (Invaders and CL 550 and Bolero 4wd) may out do Gypsy numbers but they are purely for commercial use. But in personal 4x4 segment Gypsy rules at less than 7 lakhs bracket. May be this is the trend that must be cashed upon. This is a potent market which can expand!

Invaders and Cl 550 retail at about same price of about 5.5 lakhs on road. But how many of us have bought them?

Thar is superior to Gypsy (except off road ability may be!!) but will be expensive at least by about a Lakh or two!!

So now the question is-
  • Are cheaper M&M's (read Cl 550, Invader and Bolero DI turbo 4wd base variant) worth enough for being considered for personal use and off roading?
  • Does it make sense to spend over and above 1.5 lakhs to 2 lakhs and go for Superior Thar than its cheaper Petrol competition?
Food for thought!!

Last edited by vinod_nookala : 26th March 2010 at 14:46.
Old 26th March 2010, 15:45   #1255
BHPian

I asked about the DI Bolero 4X but the dealership told me that they can't register it from Delhi as it's not going to meet the B4 emission norms.
My question is isn't the Gypsy a back bone breaker for those in the rear seat? My question is built on the premise that I have to get all my jollies from only one vehicle.
I have found the Bolero to be more comfortable than the Gypsy on the back seat from what limited experience I could get while travelling with a friend.

Regards,

Chaunfa
p.s. Wthar she blows?
Old 26th March 2010, 16:19   #1256
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post
Thar is superior to Gypsy (except off road ability may be!!) but will be expensive at least by about a Lakh or two!!

Food for thought!!
VN my friend: "U too brutus" are bitten by the gypsy bug .

M&M have to rethink their strategy on pricing. IMO the scorpio is not worth the price one pays. For 11L odd, one gets superior NVH levels as well as travel comfort, speed, safety features etc etc. in every other car worth that price!

M&M have cleverly managed to increase their pricing on the Scorpio based on their order bookings.

Unfortunately, a similar team is working on the THAR pricing with BD and team and us praying / guessing that it will come for 5L .

Get real friends and see what competetion has to offer both ON ROAD, OFFROAD, and EX SHOWROOM [read as customer service]
Old 26th March 2010, 16:43   #1257
Senior - BHPian

Gypsy Bug

Quote:
VN my friend: "U too brutus" are bitten by the gypsy bug .
If a Gypsy is going to give me that weekend fun at fraction of CRde cost then why not Gypsy? Because neither Thar or the Gypsy is going to be one and only car anyway! Gypsy scan be managed without P/s and both don't have a/c and yes, both have soft tops that leak!!

Thar will make commercial sense only if the daily average running is more than 50 kms approx IMO

p.s- We will have to wait and see if we get Gypsy in BS IV. Else Thar is the only choice in urban soft top 4x4 market
Old 26th March 2010, 18:41   #1258
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post
p.s- We will have to wait and see if we get Gypsy in BS IV. Else Thar is the only choice in urban soft top 4x4 market
Yup, a lot of people are in waiting to see BS4 standards pushed to a later date

BTW, Thar is not even released into the market as such as you are talking urban soft top 4x4 market. You think THAR will sell at 10L? IMO THAR will sell if priced at 5L ex SHR.

Anything more and it is a bubble waiting to burst!!
Old 27th March 2010, 13:50   #1259
BHPian

Thar Price

Quote:
Yup, a lot of people are in waiting to see BS4 standards pushed to a later date

BTW, Thar is not even released into the market as such as you are talking urban soft top 4x4 market. You think THAR will sell at 10L? IMO THAR will sell if priced at 5L ex SHR.

Anything more and it is a bubble waiting to burst!!
Absolutely! 'headers' bang on! it (Thar) would be a burst bubble. ex SHR must be 5L and the Thar will sure do well across the various segments of our market and stay ahead of the competition across vehicles in similar category
Old 28th March 2010, 13:23   #1260
jp1
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Blue Thunder - GOOD ONE I SAY. Bolero VLX 4WD is also under my umbrella now. Today was a GOOD DAY!. Your prayers seem to have worked.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Sir, this is something which I am waiting to hear for years from M&M. I feel quite excited to hear this news. I am one of the folks who graduated from a Gypys to a Bolero (a GLX and then an SLX). But I really missed 4wd in few occasions with family and got stuck. What we need is a CRDe vehicle with a 'Go anywhere attitude' with simple creature comforts of an A/c, Power steering, descent seating for 5 and finally a 4x4 (if it has differential locking, then superb). Bolero CRDe has all this except the 4x4. I feel this vehicle has a ready market in most of hilly regions of Nilgris, Coorg, Munnar, Vyanad etc. This can be the best vehicle available for folks who like touring and occasional Off road expeditions.
We can live with leaf spring (rear), manual shift 4x4 and keep the price reasonable (I feel the VLX price is unreasonable). If such a vehicle available, it is going to be my next upgrade.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks