Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 25th April 2010, 12:45   #1411
BHPian

Conclusion of this thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
i see people loosing interest in Thar as well as in this thread.

its running our of steam, altogether!
This THAR or this thread has managed to sell plenty of gypsys so far.
Old 25th April 2010, 13:59   #1412
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by star_aqua View Post
This THAR or this thread has managed to sell plenty of gypsys so far.

+1 for that statement of the day on the Thar Thread!

i think we should also go and get one each for ourselves.
Old 25th April 2010, 16:03   #1413
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Parm /all - I am in the same dilemma as you are. Just to fill you in, we are in the midst of the "slog overs" phase of the homologation process. Believe me when I tell you that this thing is more boring than cutting onions all day. Yuck! There are surprises every day. You feel so frustrated but you just have to take it in your stride. However, once homologation is through, and it will take its own time, there is nothing anyone can do about it, then we can .

Till that time, I'm enjoying every drive. 99.9% of my use is commuting, so its zip zap zoom with other road users wondering what just whizzed past. I like my Thar this way. I don't go offroad every day and have no intention of doing so. I don't have to prove anything to anybody any more. So finally IT GIVES ME EXACTLY WHAT I WANT.. In the end, it should give you what you want.

I have already started working on other equally exciting projects.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 25th April 2010, 18:36   #1414
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Another Wish List thread? Any hint?
pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
Hello Sir,

I think we all missed you clarification about why the THAR was made IFS.

Had the Kandivili R&D Team (Home of the NGCS MM550XD) been given, the Thar project they would have easily fitted the NEF 2.49 CRDi with Solid Axle Leaf Spring and FFRA.

Please give the explanations.

Regards,

Arka
BTW, just one thoght. I guess all The IFS Strikers are CRDe?
I think the chassis (Hybrid) is somehow same as Thar. Is that only for the sake of IFS for CRDe or CRDe for IFS only?

Last edited by offroad_maniac : 25th April 2010 at 18:41.
Old 25th April 2010, 19:18   #1415
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Dear Parm /all - I am in the same dilemma as you are. Just to fill you in, we are in the midst of the "slog overs" phase of the homologation process. Believe me when I tell you that this thing is more boring than cutting onions all day. Yuck! There are surprises every day. You feel so frustrated but you just have to take it in your stride. However, once homologation is through, and it will take its own time, there is nothing anyone can do about it, then we can .

Till that time, I'm enjoying every drive. 99.9% of my use is commuting, so its zip zap zoom with other road users wondering what just whizzed past. I like my Thar this way. I don't go offroad every day and have no intention of doing so. I don't have to prove anything to anybody any more. So finally IT GIVES ME EXACTLY WHAT I WANT.. In the end, it should give you what you want.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DB sir you are the only person i would like to put my trust in the whole MM Team when it comes to 'slog overs'!

i always belive in "you can go fast, i can go everywhere"!

i would like bat cautiously even in slog overs so i can reach the target i entend to reach.

we all would like to wait for the 'other equally exciting projects'.

Do i see some changes in the MM Customization dept?
Old 25th April 2010, 23:05   #1416
BHPian

Muddy white Thar

Here are more pics... Enjoy till its Homeland Launch (What a pain)

Look at the rear articulation in first pic. (Though front wheel is rubbing)
Mahindra Thar revealed at Autoexpo 2010-dsc_5083.jpg

The sway bar is removed..

Mahindra Thar revealed at Autoexpo 2010-dsc_5087.jpg
Mahindra Thar revealed at Autoexpo 2010-dsc_5124.jpg
Mahindra Thar revealed at Autoexpo 2010-dsc_5142.jpg
Mahindra Thar revealed at Autoexpo 2010-dsc_5159.jpg

(Pic courtesy: 4X4community.co.za)
Old 26th April 2010, 00:14   #1417
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroad_maniac View Post
Here are more pics... Enjoy till its Homeland Launch (What a pain)

Look at the rear articulation in first pic. (Though front wheel is rubbing)
Attachment 337803

The sway bar is removed..

Attachment 337804
Attachment 337805
Attachment 337806
Attachment 337807

(Pic courtesy: 4X4community.co.za)
i downloaded the same photos from the same site, and had almost posted them here. but i guess i was slow!

anyway here are more from the same website (www.4x4community.co.za)

to be honest, i NOT worried about the mechanicals of the Thar (engine, chassis, suspension, transmission), it the body works that worries me the most!

is it re-enforced and long lasting? cause the MM bodies are very much prone to RUSTING!
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar revealed at Autoexpo 2010-jeep2520thar2520001.jpg  

Mahindra Thar revealed at Autoexpo 2010-jeep2520thar2520002.jpg  

Mahindra Thar revealed at Autoexpo 2010-jeep2520thar2520003.jpg  

Mahindra Thar revealed at Autoexpo 2010-jeep2520thar2520004.jpg  

Mahindra Thar revealed at Autoexpo 2010-jeep2520thar2520005.jpg  

Mahindra Thar revealed at Autoexpo 2010-jeep2520thar2520018.jpg  

Mahindra Thar revealed at Autoexpo 2010-jeep2520thar2520020.jpg  

Old 26th April 2010, 10:18   #1418
Senior - BHPian

Exactly

Quote:
Hello Sir,

Good to see that you are enjoying, the Thar, you better be since its your creation. But please don't force it down on us.

What makes you think it will give us what we what?

What are the speeds you zip-zap and zoom around in the Thar?

What is the weight of the front propeller shaft?

What makes you think that removing the ALH, and reducing the cost by Rs15K will benefit the customers?

What about the Long term Effects?
1) Additional Wear and Tear?
2) Fuel Efficiency?

And Sir, you definitely don't need to prove anything, but please don't duck the technical questions and then say you don't need to prove anything, we get confused.

Regards,

Arka

PS - If you want I will post a comprehensive questionnaire and you can answer it in...........
Old 26th April 2010, 11:18   #1419
Senior - BHPian

Honestly guys,
Thar in that pics with those tyres looks impressive! I guess in India looks do matter even if it surpases functionality! For 99% guys Thar would do. Those articutation pics are phenomenal for an IFS vehicle. All would agree Thar is a lifestyle vehicle. It Will address that segment very strongly for sure. Hard core traditional off road segment of about 0.1% of the market, will have to wait.

I firmly believe M&M doesnt leave any segment of market for charity however small it is!

Last edited by vinod_nookala : 26th April 2010 at 11:23.
Old 26th April 2010, 11:42   #1420
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post
Honestly guys,
Thar in that pics with those tyres looks impressive! I guess in India looks do matter even if it surpases functionality! For 99% guys Thar would do. Those articulation pics are phenomenal for an IFS vehicle. All would agree Thar is a lifestyle vehicle. It Will address that segment very strongly for sure. Hard core traditional off road segment of about 0.1% of the market, will have to wait.

I firmly believe M&M doesnt leave any segment of market for charity however small it is!
Hi Vinod,

I think if the Rear Suspension is optimized (Scorpio Multi-link Coil or the Force Gurkha Style SPOA with Anti-Roll Bars or maybe the existing suspension with anti-roll bars) the vehicle will be a Much Better performer off-road.

The Thar has 2 Advantages over most SWB (90-95") off-road vehicles. (IFS types)
i) Weight and Soft-Top
ii) Power; to Weight

Today its relying on Power to overcome the obstacles, once the mechanical and suspension components are perfected..........

The M&M does not leave any segment for Charity, they use that opportunity to the hilt to fleece customers.
i) M&M CLASSIC
ii) Souvenir
iii) Thar (Why do they want to market it as a Lifestyle Vehicle? now they even want to remove the ALH)

Regards,

Arka

Last edited by ex670c : 26th April 2010 at 11:57.
Old 26th April 2010, 12:04   #1421
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Vinod,

I think if the Rear Suspension is optimized (Scorpio Multi-link Coil or the Force Gurkha Style SPOA with Anti-Roll Bars or maybe the existing suspension with anti-roll bars) the vehicle will be a Much Better.

The Thar has 2 Advantages over most SWB (90-95") off-road vehicles. (IFS types)
i) Weight and Soft-Top
ii) Power; to Weight

Today its relying on Power to overcome the obstacles, once the mechanical and suspension components are perfected..........

Regards,

Arka
True arka, you are right about relying on power to over come obstacles, biggest disadvantage till now on Indian jeeps. But i do agree power is not everything! But power is also some thing substantial and is welcome for on road comfort. Weight and soft top are Thars strong points compared to vehicles that are in production (Gypsy not included). We saw the other day, Gurkhas rear articuation severely limited by anti roll bars. As Thar doesnot have diff locks as standard, good suspension travel is welcome!

Yeh ALH kya hai Bhai?

p.s Iam going to lay my hands on Thar soon for a TD. Lets see:-)

Last edited by vinod_nookala : 26th April 2010 at 12:06.
Old 26th April 2010, 12:35   #1422
Senior - BHPian

Alh

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post
Yeh ALH kya hai Bhai?
p.s Iam going to lay my hands on Thar soon for a TD. Lets see:-)
Dear Nookala.Vinod,

ALH = Auto Locking Hub, get access to the Scorpio BOM, ASAP

By TD, I hope you mean a "Kelambakkam Circuit"

Regards,

Arka
Old 26th April 2010, 12:50   #1423
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
By TD, I hope you mean a "Kelambakkam Circuit"
Whats the probability the THAR will do Kelambakkam circuit in 2wd .
Old 26th April 2010, 13:25   #1424
BHPian

Thanks for the clarification offroad maniac. Also based on the response from Behram sir, guess my hopes are torn apart of the Thar being launched with the FFRA and Leafsprings. It now remains as a solid soft offroader and will continue the legend in this new avataar.

Parm as far as this thread loosing steam goes, yes! it has lost the excitement and steam as the Thar is built for a purpose that wouldn't satisfies most offroaders wanting to participate in offroad events such as the Bangalore OTR and the Palar Challenge. We will continue to look at army disposals or Gypsy's.

Besides the delay in its launch and the little known on the exact specs of the Indian variant except that it would be offered both in 2WD and 4WD, guess the papers, auto mags and the TV shows would start spilling in more info and details on the Thar.

Referring to some of the posts, I was sure the Thar would be launched sometime mid March, however we are now stepping into May and there still seems a cloud around the launch dates and other details.

Also, with Behram sir leading the CoE for M&M 4X4 and cult vehicles, hopes were high that we could expect the beast in Thar to take precedence, however it hasn't. We had quotes in that thread flying around on the reintroduction of the SWB CL340 with the specs of the perfect offroader, however some wishes will remain wishes!

Long live the MM550 - army disposals
Old 26th April 2010, 14:33   #1425
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Yikes6633 - please correct me if I am wrong but I know you as a die hard CL340 fan. Presuming I am correct, my frank reply to you on CL340 is as follows:

If we have to sell a vehicle in India, we must meet BS4 norms. There is no escaping this fact. Even if CL340 were to be remade (it is not difficult for me, 90% of the body exists anyways), where do I get an engine which will meet BS4? Considering I use the Thar engine, where does that leave me on suspension configuration? And then, why should a customer not buy the Thar and be done with it?

However, as far as human endeavor is concerned, nothing is impossible.

Please draw your own conclusions.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks