Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 26th April 2010, 14:38   #1426
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Whats the probability the THAR will do Kelambakkam circuit in 2wd .
Quote:
Behram, its unfair . You know what!
Headers, I can imagine your frustration of not being able to drive the THAR unlike the Mumbai offroaders. So this comment doesn't come as a surprise. BTW in the Bangalore OTR I had seen a few Jeeps (a CJ340, a MM 540/550) getting stuck royally in slush, hope you remember that. What do you have to say about this pic:-

Spike

P.S. No offense meant please.
Attached Images

Old 26th April 2010, 14:54   #1427
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
What do you have to say about this pic:-

Spike

Hey Spikey, that was a 1000% driver error and I was the driver. Misjudged the depth of the decline and got into a little mess.

BUT LUCKY ME, MY GYPSY was LIGHT and hence a little push from friends had me over the edge...

NOW, can you imagine, the same incident on a THAR and how many guys it would take to push it out

And Ofcourse, I am envious of the guys who have TD the THAR in Alibaug OTR.

BTW, heard you are coming to Chennai as assistant to Chief Guest!!!

PSSSS: I'm honoured to have my gypsy pic in the "THAR" thread.

Last edited by headers : 26th April 2010 at 14:57.
Old 26th April 2010, 15:41   #1428
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey Spikey, that was a 1000% driver error and I was the driver. Misjudged the depth of the decline and got into a little mess.

NOW, can you imagine, the same incident on a THAR and how many guys it would take to push it out

I guessed you were the driver, and you were prompting me to give you a test drive of THAR? Thank God!

Not many would have been required if such an incident happened with THAR, Arka would be more than enough (pun intended, Arka don't kill me for this).

Spike

P.S. BTW who told you I am coming to Chennai? I am thinking of coming down as my heart beats there ( I have a 18 month old niece who is in Chennai). Let me see.
Old 26th April 2010, 15:49   #1429
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Yikes6633 - please correct me if I am wrong but I know you as a die hard CL340 fan. Presuming I am correct, my frank reply to you on CL340 is as follows:

If we have to sell a vehicle in India, we must meet BS4 norms. There is no escaping this fact. Even if CL340 were to be remade (it is not difficult for me, 90% of the body exists anyways), where do I get an engine which will meet BS4? Considering I use the Thar engine, where does that leave me on suspension configuration? And then, why should a customer not buy the Thar and be done with it?

However, as far as human endeavor is concerned, nothing is impossible.

Please draw your own conclusions.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Dear Behram Sir, the CL340 SWB is something I drool and love and would do anything to own a brand new one, if ever, possible. My conclusion was that the CL 340 SWB will never return as mentioned in the CoE thread, however if there is the slightest possibility of its return (with 90% of the body parts available) I would wait and pray. As far as the engine goes, if we have to plonk the Thar engine into it with the same suspension as the Thar, it would still be preferred over the Thar, reasons are evident.

I understand the challenge is the suspension, however with the Thar engine would it be possible to explore the option of having independent coli springs.

Sir, as far as the human endeavour goes, nothing is impossible for you!

Hope the prayers are heard. I continue to be a die hard fan of the CL340

Please make it happen!

Thanks
Yikes
Old 26th April 2010, 16:26   #1430
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Yikes6633 - you are telling me to plonk a CL body on the Thar running gear. Whatever for? Why would people buy it over the MM540 shaped body? It does not work that way. If it has to be done, it has to be done properly.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 26th April 2010, 17:26   #1431
Senior - BHPian

Off-Camber

Quote:
Headers, I can imagine your frustration of not being able to drive the THAR unlike the Mumbai offroaders. So this comment doesn't come as a surprise. BTW in the Bangalore OTR I had seen a few Jeeps (a CJ340, a MM 540/550) getting stuck royally in slush, hope you remember that. What do you have to say about this pic:-

P.S. No offense meant please.
Hi Spike,

What about the Picture in question. The Gypsy has certain definite advantages, its as light as a CJ3B and as big as an MM540/CJ500D.

And the solid behaviour as expected from a solid axle vehicle.

Infact it is one of the few vehicles which we have driven off-camber with out the wheels digging in.

Try the same thing in a Scorpio and Then the AWB Scorpio you will understand, a bit about what we mean about off-road vehicle behaviour.

The IFS is disadvantaged in such situation, and the Rack & Pinion version will get stressed when the wheels are wedged and you still need to turn the vehicle

Regards,

Arka.
Old 26th April 2010, 18:15   #1432
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Spike - your question to Vikram above, the whole intention is to get stuck and then use the ever present camaraderie to help each other out. There is absolutely nothing wrong in getting stuck, otherwise there is no fun. Any vehicle can get stuck. It does not mean that the driver did not drive it properly.

Just my two cents.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 26th April 2010, 18:27   #1433
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post

The M&M does not leave any segment for Charity, they use that opportunity to the hilt to fleece customers.
i) M&M CLASSIC
ii) Souvenir
iii) Thar (Why do they want to market it as a Lifestyle Vehicle? now they even want to remove the ALH)

Regards,

Arka
Yaar i think Classic did well for what it is! Yeah Sovenir may not have picked up as much interest as it tried copying classic.

Common yaar what does Auto locking hub has to do with life style statement?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
Dear Nookala.Vinod,

ALH = Auto Locking Hub, get access to the Scorpio BOM, ASAP

By TD, I hope you mean a "Kelambakkam Circuit"

Regards,

Arka
Kelambakkam circuit- Amen!! Some day for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yikes6633 View Post
Thar is built for a purpose that wouldn't satisfies most offroaders wanting to participate in offroad events such as the Bangalore OTR and the Palar Challenge. We will continue to look at army disposals or Gypsy's.

Long live the MM550 - army disposals
Yikes,
The world over hard core enthusiasts have been doing what they want on old generation no-nonsense vehicles. The reason being lower cost of acquisition and modifyability. Modern vehicles are not like that. This is not only the case with M&M but also with most of the off road vehicles. Modern powertrain and dynamics with older hardware is still a challenge to most manufacturers. Lets see what TATA does to defender post 2014.

Yes, most of the hard core guys will continue to look for Army disposals regardless of what comes new.

Quote:

PSSSS: I'm honoured to have my gypsy pic in the "THAR" thread.
Hey headers my friend,
Yes, your are right, yours is one of the rare Gypsy's that found place in a jeep thread:-)) Normally i doesnt :-Plol

Last edited by vinod_nookala : 26th April 2010 at 18:30.
Old 26th April 2010, 19:18   #1434
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Dear Spike - your question to Vikram above, the whole intention is to get stuck and then use the ever present camaraderie to help each other out. There is absolutely nothing wrong in getting stuck, otherwise there is no fun. Any vehicle can get stuck. It does not mean that the driver did not drive it properly.
Sir, i absolutely agree that there is nothing wrong in getting stuck, any vehicle can get stuck (remember the black Jeep which was struggling with the rock climb at Bangalore OTR, whereas others did it with a breeze). However i look it in a different way, the intention is NEVER to get stuck, but when stuck the camaraderie comes into play. What better example than the "Camel Trophy"? This is what you call "Healthy Competition" isn't it? You swim together and you sink together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post
Yaar i think Classic did well for what it is! Yeah Sovenir may not have picked up as much interest as it tried copying classic.

Common yaar what does Auto locking hub has to do with life style statement?
Sergeant Vinod Nookala, thank you for taking charge on the battle front, Welcome aboard.

Spike

P.S. Please correct me if I am wrong.
Old 26th April 2010, 19:21   #1435
BHPian

Please Try this @ home

Another pic. . .
Mahindra Thar revealed at Autoexpo 2010-dsc_5199.jpg

Also,
Here is one comment that would like to share regarding Thar's Performance & Competency w.r.t Other world-famous offroaders

Quote:
the sway bar was removed. Due to the fact that the Thar`s body is so light and you have minumum body roll, there is almost no effect on road handling with the sway bar removed, but very nice travel gains.

There was Cruisers, IFS Hilux`s, SFA Hilux`s & Jeeps, the Thar did great - only one obsticle he could not complete - maybe if the Thar had a diff lock... but then the Cruizers and a few Hiluxes with diff lock could also not complete that obsticle.

On a other obsitcle the Thar was one of 10 vehicles out of 200 that did not loose a single point,
Dear DB sir/ Spike, your comments for bold part regarding Diff locks. Why they are not provided as optional package (atleast to foreign market)

the underlined part gives the verdict

(Source: 4X4Community.co.za)
Old 26th April 2010, 19:39   #1436
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sergeant Vinod Nookala, thank you for taking charge on the battle front, Welcome aboard.
LOL, Sergeant Nookala.Vinod Mr. Spike Arrestor needs you to sort some things when they get off hand!
Old 26th April 2010, 20:49   #1437
BHPian

I admit I haven't gone through the entire thread, but i get the drift.

My two bits...and i guess most people will agree with me.

My ideal off road vehicle.
  • Reliable and easily serviced, without complicated and expensive electronics.
  • Tough , without anything but the bare essentials( that does not mean m&m can get away with cheap plastic dashboards)
  • As close to the original jeep platform as possible .rigid axles no IFS comfortable suspension means nothing when your jeep bottoms out at a big obstacle.
  • diff locks as an option, i mean how difficult can this be??
  • decent tyres as stock.
  • snorkel!
Come on M&m look at what people our building in their backyard's!

Make it a tribute to what you as a company started doing in the first place...thing's have come full circle.

Jeep!

That is what we want.
Old 26th April 2010, 20:51   #1438
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroad_maniac View Post
Another pic. . .
Attachment 338329

Also,
Here is one comment that would like to share regarding Thar's Performance & Competency w.r.t Other world-famous offroaders

Dear DB sir/ Spike, your comments for bold part regarding Diff locks. Why they are not provided as optional package (atleast to foreign market)

the underlined part gives the verdict

(Source: 4X4Community.co.za)
Look closely...the picture also shows the IFS bottoming on that obstacle...the tyres are definately rubbing the fenders and it is not even cross axled!
Old 26th April 2010, 21:56   #1439
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motocamp View Post
Look closely...the picture also shows the IFS bottoming on that obstacle...the tyres are definately rubbing the fenders and it is not even cross axled!
thats the reason, the JEEP (wrangler) still comes with live axles and not IFS!

could there be any other reason as to why the JEEP is not coming with IFS?
Old 26th April 2010, 22:01   #1440
BHPian

Quote:
Dear Yikes6633 - you are telling me to plonk a CL body on the Thar running gear. Whatever for? Why would people buy it over the MM540 shaped body? It does not work that way. If it has to be done, it has to be done properly.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Dear Behram Sir, then let's have it done properly. It can be a new concept/idea, futuristic, powerful, capable and basic.

Make it happen! I'm confident you can and will.

I continue to pray!

Yikes!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks