Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th January 2010, 20:26   #1
Senior - BHPian

Mahindra Thar revealed at Autoexpo 2010

Note from Mod : The Thar's full test & review has been uploaded at this link. Thread closed. Please continue the discussion over on the review thread.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post1666718
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar revealed at Autoexpo 2010-thar-2.jpg  

Last edited by GTO : 5th January 2011 at 18:42. Reason: Adding link to review thread
Old 5th January 2010, 20:30   #2
Senior - BHPian

The plastic wheel arches near the parking light, looks like its falling off.
Old 5th January 2010, 20:45   #3
Senior - BHPian

What a piece of junk, mahindra can stick this where the sun does not shine as far as I am concerned. It looks as if Mahindra have outsourced things to guys in Dabwali.

The original concept shown in Europe was miles better than this.

Arun you are right about that dodgy front light thing. Looks as if all it needs is a little pull by a child to pull it off. Great to see the effort Mahindra have put into this show vehicle, if they cant get the show product finish right can you imagine the pile of poopoo they will sell to the general public.

Also whats with those dodgy looking side vents, is it a bit of range rover crossover? Nice cheap hella's on the roofline as well. This is a total PR disaster on the part of Mahindra.

Last edited by bigman : 5th January 2010 at 20:52.
Old 5th January 2010, 20:49   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

YUUUUUUUUCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK.. one could vomit just by looking at it. So CHEAP..

The plastics, fit/finish of add-ons is HORRIBLE. M&M have got this totally wrong in terms of first visual impressions.
Old 5th January 2010, 21:00   #5
Senior - BHPian

The pics show Mahindra Thar Adventure. I hope there is another simpler model THAR which does not have all those plastic add ons..
Old 5th January 2010, 21:02   #6
Senior - BHPian

Maybe Mr Mahindra has seen the thriving Dabwali market and this is their answer to capture this market Lets see if it has a Dabwali type price, not even Stevie Wonder would pay more than 4L for this ugly thing.

Quote:
The pics show Mahindra Thar Adventure. I hope there is another simpler model THAR which does not have all those plastic add ons..
Hopefully that is the case, the red Thar they exhibited last year was much better to look at than this ugly duckling.

Have they not exhibited a normal Thar at the show (i.e. minus the junk)?

Last edited by bigman : 5th January 2010 at 21:04.
Old 5th January 2010, 21:10   #7
Team-BHP Support

Its a bling version done up by the infamous M&M designers, the real bare bone stuff should be much more edible, i hope!
Old 5th January 2010, 21:11   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
YUUUUUUUUCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK.. one could vomit just by looking at it. So CHEAP..

The plastics, fit/finish of add-ons is HORRIBLE. M&M have got this totally wrong in terms of first visual impressions.

I just couldn't stop laughing reading your post!
I hope, the basic version of Thar would not have these unwanted add-ons.
Cheers,
Deepak
Old 5th January 2010, 21:11   #9
Senior - BHPian

Ugly that what I can say, hope this is one off [show piece] and the actual one comes with original JEEP looks, one thing though , it has IFS [please confirm guys] the ride will be good.[great compared to the older one]
Any updates on prices?
Old 5th January 2010, 21:19   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Guys: I think Behram has hinted somewhere that pre-production show vehicles tend to be souped up a bit. So I doubt many of these will make it to the base production vehicle. Maybe you can get Mahindra customization to further customize it.

And if you guys see the rest of the pics, the Transfer case is mechanical (Level operated). Boy, I am glad they didn't for for the electrical crap.

Last edited by 4x4addict : 5th January 2010 at 21:20.
Old 5th January 2010, 21:22   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
...Maybe you can get Mahindra customization to further customize it....
.. customize this further -- to what? The GREAT M&M customization hasn't left much scope here. I think even DC would find it tough to take it further from here
Old 5th January 2010, 21:27   #12
BHPian

Also, looking at the LHD on display, it seems they are not yet ready for the Indian market.
The plain vehicle (earlier posted in this thread in PDF format) looked much more better and real off-roader.
Old 5th January 2010, 21:27   #13
Senior - BHPian

Honestly some of the rugged jeeps here look much better incomparo to this piece of contraption. Whats with so much of chrome ? Looks like the designers were smitten by the bling bug and ended up making such a thing.

Hope M&M seriously reconsiders bringing this thingy into the market unless they have something better under their sleeves.
Old 5th January 2010, 21:33   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Guys: I think Behram has hinted somewhere that pre-production show vehicles tend to be souped up a bit.
Most other automajors will make a pre-production show vehicle to show off what can be done with the vehicle and attract possible buyers, this will turn people away. Looks as if Mahindra have sent a few guys with a couple thousand RS to spend to a local accessory shop. At they shop they have fallen in love with the cheap hellas and probably seen a magazine with a DC build on the cover. Put 2 and 2 together and they come up with the Superjeep.

Last edited by bigman : 5th January 2010 at 21:35.
Old 5th January 2010, 21:48   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
Honestly some of the rugged jeeps here look much better incomparo to this piece of contraption. Whats with so much of chrome ? Looks like the designers were smitten by the bling bug and ended up making such a thing.

Hope M&M seriously reconsiders bringing this thingy into the market unless they have something better under their sleeves.
+1 to that RJ.
All i wanted was a simple 550 built on NGCS. Whatever they supply to the Army. I am still hoping that the base version of Thar would be close to the 550 supplied to Army.
IFS, Electronic 4WD shift, and all of that unwanted electronics, no off road enthusiast would want to have.
This shall be bought only by those few who want to buy a Jeep just for that flaunt value.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed