Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 6th January 2010, 09:47   #46
Senior - BHPian

Well me too had the opportunity to visit the expo on the 1st day and just after seeing Honda & Toyota, meeting Sam & Autopsyche at the JBL stall just outside the hall, headed for the Mahindra stall. The best two things i saw were the Navistar trucks and a small pictorial gallery on the Jeep! The only implressive things in Thar were the tyres, 235/85/16, a size hardly manageable in India and the person said these were imported from Belgium. The 'roll-cage' configuration was as bad as in Bolero Inspira. The fit and finish of the dashboard is also nothing great.
As already revealed there is no Indian launch planned as of now and the production for the export vehicles have just started. Interestingly he said that Italy is one prospective market for Thar, but with already a good dominance of tata 4x4 vehicles and with a poor finish quality of Thar i am not too sure about its future over there. The suspension is IFS with some stabilization mechanism and the guy at the stall was saying something about the option of choosing some gear ratios but I quite didn't understand it.
So the euphoria about a new 4x4 vehicle from Mahindra will settle down now for sure! Anyways, those of you who already ve blocked money on a prospective Thar, can unblock it now and buy a new mpfi Gypsy before the Euro IV norm comes or head for the 'restoration' way.
Old 6th January 2010, 09:53   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Parm, the above model is a Europe version, they also have RHD which is destined for SA.
i know the LHD is for european market, if they have a RHD for SA then M&M should have displayed it!

i think M&M just added BLINGs to attract potential customers from Dabwali/Mayapuri!
Old 6th January 2010, 09:54   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kandisa View Post
the guy at the stall was saying something about the option of choosing some gear ratios but I quite didn't understand it.

So the euphoria about a new 4x4 vehicle from Mahindra will settle down now for sure! Anyways, those of you who already ve blocked money on a prospective Thar, can unblock it now and buy a new mpfi Gypsy before the Euro IV norm comes or head for the 'restoration' way.

Gear ratio selection? Interesting!! Must be diff ratio's according to me or maximum transfer case ratio of 2.48 instead of 2.46 low.

P.S- What makes you suggest to buy MPFI Gypsy before april 2010? Will Gypsy be extinct? Did maruti guys suggest you that?
Old 6th January 2010, 09:59   #49
Senior - BHPian

M&M please give us something simple like this with factory fitted options!
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar revealed at Autoexpo 2010-6289_1241638761022_1230903589_733399_6490544_n.jpg  

Old 6th January 2010, 10:06   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
M&M please give us something simple like this with factory fitted options!
Param,
If M&M launches MM540 here it will be simpler than this- trust me!

This was not a tastefully done up concept. Instead of lot of crome for roll cage if they had used powder coated black and if they had reduced that height of windscreen the vehicle stance would have changed. Plus those tail lamps are horrible even for a concept!!

Production model is different. Very similar to what you and i see on the roads every day which is the good old stock MM540.

points to note here are-

1. IFS
2. Bolero rear suspension
3. Manual transfer case (brog warner)
4. CRde engine, 5 speed gear box and power steering

Sad news is they havent seem to confirm it to India yet. But surely it will come ...some day!!
Old 6th January 2010, 10:07   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post
Gear ratio selection? Interesting!! Must be diff ratio's according to me or maximum transfer case ratio of 2.48 instead of 2.46 low.
I guess so but the values he was quoting was in the higher range something around 4.7 to 5.3 or something like that.

Quote:
P.S- What makes you suggest to buy MPFI Gypsy before april 2010? Will Gypsy be extinct? Did maruti guys suggest you that?
Sorry for not putting it properly. What i tried to convey was related to the metro cities particularly in the context of Delhi as after the Euro IV comes up probably one can't buy new gypsy in proper Delhi.
Old 6th January 2010, 10:10   #52
DKG
Senior - BHPian

The primary objective of a motorshow is for a company to not only showcase its current range of products but more importantly show concept cars that reveal the company's thinking about the direction its headed in. Based on the public response these concept cars eventually see the light of production. Most get scrapped !

Its obvious Mahindra want to guage public reaction to the Thar. They've obviously dressed it up to look like a concept vehicle. What they've displayed will give a broad hint at what the Thar can/will be.

If there's a lot of interest shown by people in the car, they will release their export production version locally, with changes to suite indian legal requirements. Also price sensitivity will imply a different choice in engine etc. eg Older CRDe vs mHawk

What's important is what was the public's reaction to the Thar.

The 550 sold to the army is a great looker. I see no reason why a commercially available Thar won't be attractive.
Old 6th January 2010, 10:11   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I guess so but the values he was quoting was in the higher range something around 4.7 to 5.3 or something like that.
Well thats diff ratio . Thats good, unheard of them offering as an option here in India.

Last edited by v12 : 6th January 2010 at 11:02.
Old 6th January 2010, 10:18   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well thats diff ratio . Thats good, unheard of them offering as an option here in India.[/quote]
Sir, could please explain it a bit more. I thought Diff Ratio/Axle Ratio were fixed

Last edited by v12 : 6th January 2010 at 11:03.
Old 6th January 2010, 10:23   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post
Param,
If M&M launches MM540 here it will be simpler than this- trust me!

This was not a tastefully done up concept. Instead of lot of crome for roll cage if they had used powder coated black and if they had reduced that height of windscreen the vehicle stance would have changed. Plus those tail lamps are horrible even for a concept!!

Production model is different. Very similar to what you and i see on the roads every day which is the good old stock MM540.

points to note here are-

1. IFS
2. Bolero rear suspension
3. Manual transfer case (brog warner)
4. CRde engine, 5 speed gear box and power steering

Sad news is they havent seem to confirm it to India yet. But surely it will come ...some day!!
i agree with you on a concept vehicle being totally different from actual production model.

if only M&M keeps an eye on TBhp 4x4 forum threads, they will judge the kind of demand in india.

a simple european THAR would have generated bookings at the show itself!

whats wrong with this european thar in the 2 photos?
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar revealed at Autoexpo 2010-2.jpg  

Mahindra Thar revealed at Autoexpo 2010-mahindratharconceptt.jpg  

Old 6th January 2010, 10:29   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
The primary objective of a motorshow is for a company to not only showcase its current range of products but more importantly show concept cars that reveal the company's thinking about the direction its headed in. Based on the public response these concept cars eventually see the light of production. Most get scrapped !

Its obvious Mahindra want to guage public reaction to the Thar. They've obviously dressed it up to look like a concept vehicle. What they've displayed will give a broad hint at what the Thar can/will be.

If there's a lot of interest shown by people in the car, they will release their export production version locally, with changes to suite indian legal requirements. Also price sensitivity will imply a different choice in engine etc. eg Older CRDe vs mHawk

What's important is what was the public's reaction to the Thar.

The 550 sold to the army is a great looker. I see no reason why a commercially available Thar won't be attractive.
i agree with you on everything you have written, thats why im still saving money for thar which i expect to look like european thar based on 550!

still have faith and no choice except to build/restore my own thar!
Old 6th January 2010, 10:36   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
@Headers: The bolero which i have is 4*2 and also with the amount of body roll i would not risk taking it on any offroad terrains. Its what we use for bad roads
The suspension setting for the 2wd and 4wd vehicles is different [they are sprung differently]. And this was on the wish list for a new 4wd JEEP.
I personally wanted a IFS on the 4WD M&M after living with a 4WD commander for 10 years.Cause it was my daily drive and the off roading was and still is a need and have a mix of on raod drives too.I have to travel 80 KM on roads [mix of highway and hill sections] and than there is a fare bit of off road.
I drove a 4wd Scorpio and fell in love with the ride. but the price put me off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
See what did all your wish lists made M&M do?

LHD shows M&M is NOT ready or was not prepared! THAR looks like an after thought along with the plastic inserts!

as some one said>> "you will be floored"...I am!

The wish list is what the Thar had in the first place and the same is displayed nothing more, only thing not on the wish list [but compulsory in India] is Right Hand drive.

Looking at this vehicle, I think M&M is taking a couscous route for the THAR, first prepare the vehicle for export [the IFS was not available even on the earlier export vehicles] , test the waters in India.
They have had low volumes moving in the 4X4 version throughout the range. After the Armada and MM540 & 550.
Before setting up the RHD vehicle assembly and inventory, Remember the Invader[replacement for 540/550].
Old 6th January 2010, 10:40   #58
Senior - BHPian

Look beyond the skin

Quote:
If only M&M keeps an eye on TBhp 4x4 forum threads, they will judge the kind of demand in india.
I completely agree with you. This concept hasn't gone well with too many people. This is the case with me too! But there are many who like bling stuff. Specially in Punjab and Delhi circles. There is a larger population outside teambhp.

Quote:
a simple european THAR would have generated bookings at the show itself!
Again i agree with you. The concept should have been more rugged looking in nature rather than bling stuff.

Quote:
whats wrong with this european thar in the 2 photos?
One thing is wrong in the concept that was shown in Bologna motor show- it was not a driveable vehicle!!

Guys this vehicle is a Scorpio in disguise. It is a short wheel base scorpio that is lighter, quicker and more robust in nature. This has Scorpio aggregates that can match MM540 off road credentials. Dont go by the looks of the concept which is subject to taste to many.

Look what you are getting underneath! A jeep that isnt underpowered, that handles well, has low NVH.

p.s- I repeat production model will be different. It will be like this!
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar revealed at Autoexpo 2010-thar-scoop.jpg  

Last edited by vinod_nookala : 6th January 2010 at 10:46.
Old 6th January 2010, 10:40   #59
Team-BHP Support

So that means Thar is just going to be in dreams for us Indian's sigh! Why is it that all these manufacturers look soooooo far, when the real pudding is sitting under their nose?!

EDIT: what the heck were they thinking when they sprayed that black oil paint all over the underbody? Rusting problems?

Last edited by Jaggu : 6th January 2010 at 10:41.
Old 6th January 2010, 10:45   #60
Team-BHP Support

And i think we need to pull curtain on this thread! M&M seems to be in some other planet, dreaming of invading another galaxy!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks